Options

Photo Assignment for the Week: 5/14 - 5/21

Comments

• Options
    motojedimotojedi Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2004
    Italian Singles... (taken at the Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Al.)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I couldn't wait for them to switch them on, does it qualify??
    4363660-M-1.jpg
    Grubbs, that's really a nice shot. Good eye, man.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2004
    neil wrote:
    Hi new member, new camera, first ever post.

Neil, it looks like you got some kind of glare in your shot, some kind of... bright light. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 20, 2004
    Let Them Eat Cake
    I'm in a slump...nothing seems to be working these past couple of weeks.

4386473-M.jpg

For those that are interested...it was a "Guava" cake. Kind of disgusting :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Went to Arizona and Utah for a few days - I just happen to have a pic for bright light - Lets call it "Navaho Light Shaft"

4358285-L.jpg
    CLUNK ... Thats the sound of my jaw hitting the floor. Awesome shot simply awesome.

Tim
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 20, 2004
    Shakey,

That's a nice shot of the canyon!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    YuP! Ian that's one of those I put in the (I wish I had taken that shot file)

Well done Pathfinder !!!!

Tim
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    Driveway Water
    4392122-L.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    I like this one
    cletus wrote:
    4392122-L.jpg
    Sorry for taking up the extra space, but I love this, except for the extreme highlights. A gazzillion more shots, and one would have been free of that so as not to be distracting, I think.

Makes me wish I had gone to the beach. Oh deary me, it is Thursday.

When does next weeks assignment get posted? I am a bit confused here.

Can I go to the beach for that one. Can't go today, not without angst and dog neglect.

Really love those colors in that picture.

ginger (This here is not a submission, it is a month or more old, but I wanted to add something and I kind of don't like the icons available. Where do you all get the others??)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ArgusphotoArgusphoto Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    Sun behind cloud
    Maybe I am missing something in the assignment instructions.
    "Bright light should be the primary focal point of your image. The challenge is in not blowing out the highlights or losing detail in the shadows."
    I thought that the subject is bright light. Very few of the entries even have light as the subject. In my favorite, "Navaho Light Shaft" the subject is light but not bright light.
    "Sunlight on CD" and " Boat" seem to fit the criteria.
    I would also like to see some constructive criticism on every entry. It is hard to learn if there is no feedback.

4378642-M.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 20, 2004
    Argusphoto wrote:
    Maybe I am missing something in the assignment instructions. I thought that the subject is bright light. Very few of the entries even have light as the subject. In my favorite, "Navaho Light Shaft" the subject is light but not bright light.
    I would also like to see some constructive criticism on every entry. It is hard to learn if there is no feedback.

Thanks, I didn't want to be the one to say it... Of course, hopefully the moderators will stick to their guns when it comes time to do the final desicions.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    Here is my latest made today it is called
    Generation Gap

I play a little game with my photos I try to meet various challenges with the same photo ... it is a creative challenge.
    So shhhh if you see it on other boards hehe. And if you find me grasping at straws for the challenge please let me know.

Click on pic for original

Tim

4398143-L.jpg

If you are wondering it is a Gameboy Advance and a marble.
  • Options
    BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    finally got some sun around here.

a quick attempt
    4399064-M.jpg

the cat
    4399063-M.jpg
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Here is my latest made today it is called
    Generation Gap

Tim

4398143-L.jpg

Tim:
    This is wonderful! I love this kind of work! Great Lighting, too!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    "basking, in your reflection"
    Another try...

"basking, in your reflection"

4406446-L.jpg

ginette

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    Subject of this weeks assignment...
    Argusphoto wrote:
    "Bright light should be the primary focal point of your image. The challenge is in not blowing out the highlights or losing detail in the shadows."
    I thought that the subject is bright light. Very few of the entries even have light as the subject. In my favorite, "Navaho Light Shaft" the subject is light but not bright light.
    Perhaps I am out of line in my understanding of the assignment as well. Sometimes all there is, is bright light. When I read the assignment I saw it as a challenge to use "bright light" not solely as the subject, but as the source that creates the interest within the photo. A candle in the darkness, will seem bright in comparison to its surroundings. Sunlight on the water, will reflect highlights, Sunset bathing a subject which would otherwise be dark, becomes the Bright Light subject of the photo. The challenge can be in trying to control the light, so that large areas were not "just blown away" and so that there was still enough detail within the shadow that the photo created a feel, and gave it a depth, an emotion. Thoughts?
    I do agree that we need to give feedback... IF this is to be an educational tool...
    ginette
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Water Tank
    I went out today to try to find a few more subjects with bright light. It was the middle of the day. The sun was very bright. I saw the play of sunlight on this water tank. If I had not had this assignment, I probably would not have noticed this or any of the other pictures I took. The assignment helped me to see things better. That's the learning experience. I tried to get shots with the light as the focal point, the brighter the light the better the contrast with the shadows.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Water Pump
    Here's another one. I tried to catch the light on the water and the sun on the pump. It was not as bright as I thought it would be, still it's hard to get deep shadows in the middle of the day.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Baskets, an art passed down the generations
    This is a version, done tonight, of the earlier photograph Low Country Baskets, an art handed down from the time of slavery, or before . I still maintain, and I love the candles and the marble and all. But I maintain that this type of picture is so much a "light" driven picture. My friend wanted me to get rid of an ad for Visa and she wanted me to darken the roof, as it was distracting.

I think I handled the highlights well, I don't know if the shadows should have had more detail, or not.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Red Pines
    Another try. The sun through the trees has been done a lot, I know. But, not by me. So I tried it. The focal point is the light and the detail of the tree trunks is not lost. I think it works.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Purple Pines
    This is the last one for today. I'm really going to have to learn how to link to my "smugmug" site. These pictures are kind of small to see the detail, but there is detail in the shadows. I'm pleased with the results and I learned something from the assignment.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Tim

4398143-L.jpg

No idea what a Gameboy advance is... but I know a cool photograph when i see one. Nice shot, Shakester.

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This is the last one for today. I'm really going to have to learn how to link to my "smugmug" site. These pictures are kind of small to see the detail, but there is detail in the shadows. I'm pleased with the results and I learned something from the assignment.

Snappie, it's really easy. Click here for step by step directions with handy pictures.

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Since there's no penalty for multiples, here's a mildly altered version. Let's call it...

Altered World Span

4411681-M.jpg

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Larger size Water Pump
    Thanks Lynn, for the hint on resizing for the web. I think I got this a little bigger now.
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Argusphoto wrote:

That's pretty much how I read it (for whatever little bit that's worth). I have some ideas but my camera went camping without me last weekend (my wife had the camera and our daughter at a Girl Scout camping trip). I haven't had a chance in the evenings during the week to try implementing any of my ideas and now we're pretty much out of time (lately,new challenge seems to go up some time Friday).

I was going to try focusing in tight on something (stick, highly textured scrap of wood from the firewood pile, etc) while using a magnifying glass to scorch/ignite it and capture the bright hot spot, the stick and some of the smoke curling up from the bright spot.

It looked good in my head, but I'm not sure I could pull it off :(:

Constructive feedback on the shots would be good too.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Another try. The sun through the trees has been done a lot, I know. But, not by me. So I tried it. The focal point is the light and the detail of the tree trunks is not lost. I think it works.
    Greeting from the wasteland snapapple...i like the purple shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Moving Candle
    This one isn't from this week so it's not a contender but enjoy anyway...I think that Ginette is right. We need to interpret the assignments in our own way and not become angry when someone's submission doesn't fit our criterion of interpretation. This is supposed to be a fun place to share our work; let's keep it friendly and "light."

3199450-L.jpg
  • Options
    ArgusphotoArgusphoto Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    I think that Ginette is right. We need to interpret the assignments in our own way and not become angry when someone's submission doesn't fit our criterion of interpretation. This is supposed to be a fun place to share our work; let's keep it friendly and "light."

There are many good pictures and I certainly would not want to restrict the contributions. We also have many levels of photographers and this is to be encouraged.
    I am not the one setting the criteria but if we are having a "contest", then the only ones eligible for the final judging should meet all the criteria. Otherwise, the awards might as well be given on the basis of the photographer's camera or clever screen name.
    The more experienced photographers should have no problem meeting these challenges. It would also be extremely helpful if they would give pointers to the rest of us on how to improve our pictures.