Photo Assignment for the Week: 5/14 - 5/21

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Nice Photo Work Snappie!
    SnapApple:

Very nice. I like the slickness of the water, and the shadow play.

Did you find the instructions on linking to your SmugMug site? If not, here is
    "Sid's Link" on the subject. It's very helpful!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Argusphoto wrote:
    There are many good pictures and I certainly would not want to restrict the contributions. We also have many levels of photographers and this is to be encouraged.
    I am not the one setting the criteria but if we are having a "contest", then the only ones eligible for the final judging should meet all the criteria. Otherwise, the awards might as well be given on the basis of the photographer's camera or clever screen name.
    The more experienced photographers should have no problem meeting these challenges. It would also be extremely helpful if they would give pointers to the rest of us on how to improve our pictures.
    "Argus"
    I am not trying to argue with you, just trying to make the point that Bright Light is "Bright Light." I will of course defer to the site moderators on this, I am not trying to ruffle feathers. Only wanted to say that in my opinion, many of the photos have touched on the essence of the assignment, which was to capture "Bright Light." Light is brighter or dimmer in different settings. For example a candle burning in the daylight offers little illumination, but that same candle when lit in the darkness, becomes a bright light that will illuminate a large area. Sunlight filtering through the trees may well have a "Bright Light" affect on a specific area while its surrounding areas remain in the shadows.
    The idea of the assignment was to be able to capture the light source or brightly lit area without losing all the detail in the highlights or shadows?
    Please don't see me as trying to be dogmatic, for that is far from the case. Honest, I am trying to play by the rules, I love the game and love the challenges-- I love what I have found here among all of you on this site. For me, photography is what keeps me sane in an unsane world.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Altered World Span

4411681-M.jpg
    Sid,
    I really like the "World Span" submissions. Nice warm color, great reflections... Sunset?
    ginette
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Looking at the last 2 completed assignments its clear that "Relevance to the assignment" has been an important factor in both selection and voting. I can only speak for myself, but its the 1st barrier of the selection process that has to be crossed before I decide who gets my vote.
    Having said that, part of the creativity is to interpret the criteria, and I enjoy seeing how people use it and stretch it. I think the assigments are stronger and more enjoyable for it.
    So I agree with Ginette and Damon keep it "friendly and light" and let the votes decide, seems to have worked so far! :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Altered World Span

Sid,
    I really like the "World Span" submissions. Nice warm color, great reflections... Sunset?
    ginette

Thanks Ginette, it was last night's sunset. I discovered 11doh.gif that if you want reflections off of a building. you have to be at the right angle. I drove around trying to get closer, and I lost the reflection.

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Tried to Get Lightning, Ended Up Playing
    4417523-L.jpg

4417526-L.jpg

4417528-L.jpg

...switched to long exposure light fun...

4417530-L.jpg

4417532-L.jpg

...portrait of my wife...

4417535-L.jpg

oh well, there's always next week...
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    SnapApple:

Very nice. I like the slickness of the water, and the shadow play.

Did you find the instructions on linking to your SmugMug site? If not, here is
    "Sid's Link" on the subject. It's very helpful!
    ginette

Thank you ginette. I did get the info on linking to my smugmug site, bit the link you gave is even better. I didn't have time to try it last night. I still have to upload these new photos to my site. I usually have to do that at night because it slows up our satalite connection and my husband can't use his computer in his home office. I'll probably have to play with it a little. I may get it by next weeks assignment. I hope I can find the info again if I have trouble. Thanks again. rolleyes1.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    we need rain
    4435039-M.jpg
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    Buddy wrote:
    we need rain
    4435039-M.jpg
    Holy! Freaking Awesome !!!! Well done Buddyclap.gif
  • Options
    BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    thanks. that was an interesting experiment. it was like shooting sports. just keep clicking and hope you get a good one. :D
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    WonDerFul!!
    Buddy wrote:
    we need rain
    4435039-M.jpg
    Buddy, This is really an awesome shot... Takes patience! Very NICE!
    Forgive me for playing with it just a wee bit?
    ginette

4439590-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    Buddy wrote:
    we need rain
    4435039-M.jpg
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I wonder if you could sell that?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    Watching the Ducks
    My first attempt at a silhouette.

4447253-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    Very Nice Brian
    Bryan wrote:
    My first attempt at a silhouette.

4447253-L.jpg
    Very Nice Brian, nice color and composition.
    Now to move on to the next Assignment... and the new rules.
    ginette