Options

DSS #25 Foul or Fair - Unofficial Feedback Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I like the 'Simon' analogy. He isn't tactful, but he usually speaks the truth and keeps American Idol from becoming a complete fawnfest. It would be preferable to have tactful criticism, but I'll take the honest, thoughtful tactless criticism over silence. I like the passion that this conversation has stirred up. I hope we can all keep it focused on the photos.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Dan in this case "the problem" (thats the quote i keep hearing so i thought i could use it too) is the judges are being disrepected, the system is getting mocked, and opinions are getting flung out there as if its gospel...i agreed with one or two statements from manbou, everything else was not of my opinion at all.... in fact i found most of them nothing but blind ignorance from someone with zero artistic leeway.

granted i said some poor words to manbou about his image, but i was not giving him a critique...i was just giving him my opinion to try and help him understand that it is possible that someone did not like his image....

i wont even get into the arrogance...i think that spoke for itself...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    i dont mind if we have a Simon.... but cant it be someone with real experiance and a portfolio to back them?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Dan and Halite, I certainly agree that things can get too politically correct hearts-and-butterflies-touchy-feely-everything-is-wonderful, and that is almost as bad as abusive name-calling. I like to look for a balance.

As a voice teacher, I'm known as unbelievably direct, sometimes to the point of bluntness. "She tells you like it is" is the feedback I usually get from students... and I wouldn't have it any other way. BUT (and here's the crux, and why I wrote what I did), it IS possible to do that with compassion and in a true spirit of support, rather than by pulling somebody down and humiliating them. The responses from my students indicate that it works for them!

I would venture to suggest that (among a few others in our midst), Greensquared has really mastered this skill - her clear and specific comments never pull punches and for sure avoid sugar-coating, but they also are never hurtful or seem to carry a sub-agenda. It's a gift which I respect enormously.

On that note, I think I've now said just about everything I have to on the subject (well, for now anyway rolleyes1.gif)

And I still want some chocolate ice cream :patch
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    "I would venture to suggest that (among a few others in our midst), Greensquared has really mastered this skill - her clear and specific comments never pull punches and for sure avoid sugar-coating, but they also are never hurtful or seem to carry a sub-agenda. It's a gift which I respect enormously."

You make one of my points very well Diva. It is a gift among a few. I also am a teacher. I coach individuals and groups daily, and have been doing so longer than I care to share. But most human beings have not been trained nor even exposed necessarily to tactful, compassionate, well formed constructive criticism. They just say what they think or they have learned to suppress what they think, or they say things to ingratiate themselves to others.

Look, I want to again make clear they I do not disagree with what you and others are saying. I just want to point out the positive in what transpired and possibly encourage others. It would certainly be wonderful if we could all provide constructive forthright criticism artistically, but I would rather get honest awkward feedback than inauthentic or no feedback. At least I think I would rolleyes1.gif

I'll join you for that chocolate ice cream now.:D:D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    "They just say what they think or they have learned to suppress what they think, or they say things to ingratiate themselves to others."

This may be the single most important, thought-provoking and absolutely true statement in this entire thread. I couldn't agree more. thumb.gif

As in most things, finding a balance is both the goal, and the hardest part to achieve. I submit that most of us get it wrong as often as we get it right, but maybe that's part of the process too? headscratch.gif

Good stuff, Dan.
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Joking
    Just joking Brian, really.... I thought what you said was funny...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2009
    Omgosh
    MarkR wrote:
    ne_nau.gif Kat, I'm so broke my wife and I got married just for the rice.

However, a fun afternoon project is to create your own light tent using a cardboard box, old (clean!) t-shirts, and masking tape. thumb.gif Better than therapy and more useful, too.

Now Mark it took me some time to stop rolling on the floor and laughing at this one...!!! rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.giffor the rice? oh man you should have held out for a steak dinner or something..

so do share ...>> on the homemade light box... I gotta try that.. heck I don't even have an umbrella set up... it does sounds therapeutic.....:D

Kat
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    And I still want some chocolate ice cream :patch

Chunky Monkey, Chunky Monkey, Chunky Monkey, Chunky Mon...rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2009
    oh
    Kat... we all are meager folk. just keep shooting like you do!
    keep your gear clean, and repeat as necessary

I'm supposed to clean it?eek7.gif
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009

Now Mark it took me some time to stop rolling on the floor and laughing at this one...!!! rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.giffor the rice? oh man you should have held out for a steak dinner or something..

so do share ...>> on the homemade light box... I gotta try that.. heck I don't even have an umbrella set up... it does sounds therapeutic.....:D

Kat

Easy Peasy. Check here for the basics, modify as you see fit. There's no single "right way" to make a light tent. But total cost to me for one similar was my time and maybe $5 worth of materials. I believe you can also buy them from Adorama, etc. for starting at $30-$40 +
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    i dont mind if we have a Simon.... but cant it be someone with real experiance and a portfolio to back them?

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Originally Posted by divamum
    And I still want some chocolate ice cream
    KevXman wrote:
    Chunky Monkey, Chunky Monkey, Chunky Monkey, Chunky Mon...rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
    wrong, wrong, wrong... first, it has to be Blue Bell... there is no other ice cream.:D
    Then... pick a flavor, they are all good. My favorite is Chocolate Covered Cherriesclap.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2009
    Thanks for sharing that Mark
    MarkR wrote:
    Easy Peasy. Check here for the basics, modify as you see fit. There's no single "right way" to make a light tent. But total cost to me for one similar was my time and maybe $5 worth of materials. I believe you can also buy them from Adorama, etc. for starting at $30-$40 +

too cool... thanks Mark.. I will have to put this together and try it... this would be awesome for the stock photography stuff..

Kat
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I would venture to suggest that (among a few others in our midst), Greensquared has really mastered this skill - her clear and specific comments never pull punches and for sure avoid sugar-coating, but they also are never hurtful or seem to carry a sub-agenda. It's a gift which I respect enormously.

Diva, I just noticed this comment and wanted to say how very honored I am to receive it.

Just before Shay left our midst (for those who remember way back when in LPS), I sent him a PM saying almost exactly the same thing - that his thoughtful skill at constructive critique was something I truly admired. To receive such a compliment in return is truly an honor. I apologize for the critiques I was unable to complete. I have a tendency to take on way more than I can handle, and I hated to let you all down. I may need a bit of time off to regroup my life and deal with a few health issues, but I hope to return and be fully a part of the forum again! :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    wrong, wrong, wrong... first, it has to be Blue Bell... there is no other ice cream.:D
    Then... pick a flavor, they are all good. My favorite is Chocolate Covered Cherriesclap.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

Blue Bell? Blech! There ain't nothing like homemade...mwink.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Blue Bell? Blech! There ain't nothing like homemade...mwink.gif
    ahhh, good point!
    #1 - Homemade
    #2 - BLUE BELL :D (the best Ice cream in the country)