Options

Finalists for DSS #27 (Singular or Plural)

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    At the time miskatonic posted his congratulations, we were just beginning to investigate the voting anomalies. I deleted the post because the poll had not been closed, and we were looking into the vote issue. I didn't want things to become more confusing, so I nipped the bud, if you will. Sorry about that, miskatonic. I meant to PM you with a notice, but in the flurry of activity that followed I completely forgot. 11doh.gif
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    That still begs the question though Kerry as to why someone would be congratulating a specific person before the results were in, perhaps miskatonic_university is psychic?

I am still curious.. regardless..headscratch.gifrolleyes
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Well, I've been following from work, where I've been unable to log on and post. What a turn of events!

I'm pretty bummed it had to happen like that, which I'm sure everyone is, but glad that DSS is staying around clap.gif

I'd still love to know the results... mwink.gif

... or maybe a recount?

:poke

hehehe.
    :D
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    miskatonic_universitymiskatonic_university Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    I saw the results at around 2/3am -- I think the poll auto closes after 72 hours and the results go up or the vote results become public. Either way I saw it.

I saw the winner and wrote my comment and went to bed. I wake up and this happened. ne_nau.gif That's about it....

hopefully all this will get sorted out and we can have a good next... round... don't be ... square. Trying to lighten up the mood.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    Square? Never been called "square" before.. that's a new one..eek7.gif

I too was up on the board and often am around 1 to 4 am.. I did not see the poll results ever posted.. only your comment.. so I guess that is what confused me, thus making me curious. So, I had to ask..

Anyways,,, on to the next "round"...
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    I am SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sworn to secrecy!!!

Sorry. iloveyou.gif

It wouldn't be fair to tell anyone... especially with the judges and LLewelyn keeping it quiet for very good reason.

Now that you mention it... how the heck did I see it???????? I must have powers!!

To use them for good or EEeeevil???....... deal.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    The polls used to be quirky in that once they'd closed, you couldn't see them if you were logged in but could if you were logged out. My guess is they still act this way if a poll auto-closes.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 19, 2009
    I am SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sworn to secrecy!!!

Sorry. iloveyou.gif

It wouldn't be fair to tell anyone... especially with the judges and LLewelyn keeping it quiet for very good reason.

Now that you mention it... how the heck did I see it???????? I must have powers!!

To use them for good or EEeeevil???....... deal.gif

sheesh...now I am getting very curious! Can you be bribed???mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    I might have been logged out. I was having password issues.

No. No bribes. :D
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Now, as for all the talk about brownies during the past several weeks, let me sum it up - this is the BEST brownie recipe EVER - PERIOD. My wife has tried dozens of recipes over the years, and this is THE BEST recipe. I promise. I really do. For all the purists out there - this is it. It's a lot of work, it makes a huge batch, but I'll let you in on a secret (after they've cooled completely overnight, you can cut the brownies, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, and bundle them in a freezer bag and plop them in the freezer. Instant relief for chocolate emergencies. Really people, this is the best recipe! thumb.gif

Ok Whiterice: post that recipe..clap.gifclapclap.gif I took Jen up on hers, and so far they "are" the best I have ever baked.. so bring it on.. and I will bake some and we will see.. I believe Diva tried them out too.. I have to say they were heaven.. Will be waiting..

Yum........mwink.gif

Kat
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Ok Whiterice: post that recipe..clap.gifclapclap.gif I took Jen up on hers, and so far they "are" the best I have ever baked.. so bring it on.. and I will bake some and we will see.. I believe Diva tried them out too.. I have to say they were heaven.. Will be waiting..

Yum........mwink.gif

Kat

You can follow the hyperlink in my post to Ina Garten's recipe. Really, it is the best! I promise. And the best thing about these brownies, they actually taste even better when you freeze them and then take them out of the freezer to eat one. If you're really having a craving and don't have time to wait for it to thaw properly, just 10 seconds in the microwave and it's instant chocolate heaven. Really. I don't kid around when it comes to food, especially sweets. You'll be saying, "What Jen recipe!" mwink.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    Kat: "Square? Never been called "square" before.. that's a new one."

The next challenge: DSS 28: Circle or Square...

the next "round" don't be "square" - I was using puns. :cry I am not good at humour.
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    What a long thread -- but with good reason to have a long discussion. jpgmag does the anyone can vote thing too and it's now so overpopulated that it really depends on how well you are connected and how many people you can get to favorite or vote for your image. -- Quite frustrating.

I do agree with Kat about the 4-5 judges thing. I am pretty happy with the unofficial feedback thread and comments in the gallery in terms of getting community/peer feedback.

Just a thought -- but I think she's really onto something there.

Karl
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    This is why I wasn't comfortable DQ'ing a single entry. We can't confirm this was done with any ill intent whatsoever. So no torches or pitchforks.
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I'm thinking a vat of Ben & Jerry's will be my dinner tonight...

Damn, and just when I had the gang gathered. Oh well, CHUNKY MONKEY FOR EVERYONE!!

435824951_BvG3Z-L.jpg
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    karlabbott wrote:
    What a long thread -- but with good reason to have a long discussion. jpgmag does the anyone can vote thing too and it's now so overpopulated that it really depends on how well you are connected and how many people you can get to favorite or vote for your image. -- Quite frustrating.

I do agree with Kat about the 4-5 judges thing. I am pretty happy with the unofficial feedback thread and comments in the gallery in terms of getting community/peer feedback.

Just a thought -- but I think she's really onto something there.

Karl

Yep,, that's what I was thinking.. and I can't see any reason it would not work.. unless someone points it out.. headscratch.gif...I don't see why we can't run a lottery or draw to see who gets to judge each round and just rotate the lottery making it to where those who have judged are not in the lottery pool the next time.. Just my thoughts.. I personally liked the way the Mega Challenge was handled. However, I am not sure if that is more work on Kerry or not.. so not sure. It sure takes the guess work out IMHO...

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    You can follow the hyperlink in my post to Ina Garten's recipe. Really, it is the best! I promise. And the best thing about these brownies, they actually taste even better when you freeze them and then take them out of the freezer to eat one. If you're really having a craving and don't have time to wait for it to thaw properly, just 10 seconds in the microwave and it's instant chocolate heaven. Really. I don't kid around when it comes to food, especially sweets. You'll be saying, "What Jen recipe!" mwink.gif

I cant find the hyperlink Whiterice.. only one to your gallery...headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Damn, and just when I had the gang gathered. Oh well, CHUNKY MONKEY FOR EVERYONE!!

435824951_BvG3Z-L.jpg

Nice Mob Kevinthumb.gif you have a talent for recruiting for sure...

So let me get this straight.. your buying us all Chunky Monkey? wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    I cant find the hyperlink Whiterice.. only one to your gallery...headscratch.gif

You silly Kat....the hyperlink is in my original message:

this is the BEST brownie recipe EVER

rolleyes1.gifrofl:D
    - Christopher
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Wow Intrigue, villany, headscratch.gif
    I sure missed out being away all day.
    Heartfelt sorrow for all the participants and Judges and Moderators Bloody mess it is.
    deal.gifdeal.gifdeal.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    Dgrin has made me the photographer I am today and I feel richly rewarded for that.

Now we are all re-savvy to the rules.... GAME ON!:D
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    KevXman wrote:

435824951_BvG3Z-L.jpg

This is sooo good that we avoided this situation.

I know I was angry and ready to hang the guilty person up, but after Mark's and Jag's explanations,
    I started to see things differently...

Sudanly I actually rememberd that I had my entry posted in the daylies photo community, receiveing
    lots of wonderful comments. When I saw it in the finalists list I was happy to announce this fact to them,
    telling that their vote will be highly appreciated... I honestly didn't thik it was anything wrong with this...
    (I also have no idea if any of them voted or not for me or for somebody else...)

So,... things are not always B&W.

Congratulations Kerry for being a such a good moderator to this
    situation, avoiding (maybe) an irreparable / tragic end!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

*** The brownie recipe is well deserved not only by Kerry but also Mark and Jag thumb.gif

PS: I think, from now on we should never encourage anybody outside the contest to vote for us,
    not even persons from our smugmug community!!!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    whiterice wrote:

Uh, went and read the recipe. That's just variation of mine. Add some chocolate chips and coffee and viola! Of course, mine are richer, scrumptious and probably simpler. The batch is bigger too. Oh and they freeze great!

Brownie wars on!!!!!! :beatwax
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Uh, went and read the recipe. That's just variation of mine. Add some chocolate chips and coffee and viola! Of course, mine are richer, scrumptious and probably simpler. The batch is bigger too. Oh and they freeze great!

=====================================

Jen.. you have me rolling on the floor on this one:haha.. too funny.. brownie wars??? :argue > May the force be with you...:lol4

:eat I have to say my entire household sings your praises :food for that last batch and keeps begging me to make them again.. bowdown.gif

Thanks for the laugh....rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    OK. We can send the lynch mob home now. :D

Let's just all just settle down with some brownies and ice cream and get on with #28! :ivar

Kerry, you rock! ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Wow.. I leave and go overseas, no internet for a while...and I finally get online to see the challenge has all but gone to hell!! Craziness!!! Well its too bad this happened like everyone has said. Its sure not fair that the finalist don't get to see where they ranked. Guess we should all head over to the Un-official feedback thread and maybe start our own Un-Official poll, stating who we all voted for??ne_nau.gif . Anyways good jobs to the mods, and wow what a long read!! On to the next challenge!! Which I won't be able to enter, boo, I dont have my camera :cry:cry

-Cheers!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    I'm glad to see this has had a reasonable outcome despite the sturm und drang yesterday.

Kerry, I suspect you're one step ahead of me (you usually are :D), but can I suggest that the statement regarding only exsiting dgrin members being able to vote be bolded, underlined and included in large friendly letters with the text at the beginning of each poll post? It couldn't hurt, and it might just help...ne_nau.gif

Thanks again, Fearless Leaders. Ya done good. thumb.gifbowdown.giflust
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

I know how you feel michswiss....we thought we had THE brownie recipe too, until we found this one!! It's ok to feel strongly about your recipe, but one bite of THESE and you'll be wondering, "What previous brownie recipe."

:beatwax
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    I know how you feel michswiss....we thought we had THE brownie recipe too, until we found this one!! It's ok to feel strongly about your recipe, but one bite of THESE and you'll be wondering, "What previous brownie recipe."

:beatwax

You have no chance. The recipe I shared has been refined in my family over 40+ years. Not to say that yours aren't tasty...
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    DSS #29. The Brownie. You guys each bake a batch, FedEx us the work. And we'll open a poll and vote on our favorite. (We won't care if you cheat, however, since we will have all eaten the prize.)
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    DSS #29. The Brownie. You guys each bake a batch, FedEx us the work. And we'll open a poll and vote on our favorite. (We won't care if you cheat, however, since we will have all eaten the prize.)

Truce called... I'll need to depend on Kat or Diva to distribute my samples. I'm not sure how things would turn out if I shipped them from Shanghai.