Options

Smugmug bugs and feature requests #7

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2005
    blackqueen wrote:

Anyone got any news or info on this? I'm going prematurely grey and then bald in turns over this... headscratch.gif

Thank you kindly for your attention to the above and keep up the good work on making Smugmug better and better! thumb.gif

i sent the other thread to the engineers thanks for your input thumb.gif
  • Options
    tajordantajordan Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 13, 2005
    (existing) Feature (modification) request
    I really love the bar graphs showing gallery traffic. The problem is that I have over 1000 galleries, several with the same name in different categories/subcategories. How hard would it be to add the option of viewing the graphs for a category or subcategory individually? Or does this already exist somewhere and I haven't found it? I can look at everything on one REALLY long page, or look at an individual gallery's stats... But not by category or subcat.

This would be very (read: very very very) helpful for me, and hopefully others.

Thoughts, opinions, comments?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    Agree, a couple more suggestions on the same topic
    tajordan wrote:
    I really love the bar graphs showing gallery traffic. The problem is that I have over 1000 galleries, several with the same name in different categories/subcategories. How hard would it be to add the option of viewing the graphs for a category or subcategory individually?
    I've also seen the need for improvements in this area. I like your suggestion of viewing by categories/subcategories. More often than not, I'd like to be able to sort the bar graph presentations by traffic (highest traffic galleries at the top) or by recent upload date (often, the traffic I'm interested in is recently populated galleries). As it is today, the order seems completely random and never what I want. I also have many galleries that need more than a single name to identify them (I need to be able to see category/subcategory to know which gallery it really is. For example, I may have a "Kevin" gallery in each of the 2003, 2004 and 2005 soccer team categories. But, in the bar charts, you can't tell which is which when all you see is the name "Kevin".

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Fine Bottled WaterFine Bottled Water Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    I think I have an idea for this one, just be patient :)
    Sweet! Patient I can be.

You're the man/woman/person, JT.
  • Options
    gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    obscure bug with "featured galleries"
    Here's an obscure bug.

My smugmug home page has four galleries displayed in the featured galleries section. Now try to "unfeature" the gallery in position #1 by clicking the "don't feature" button. It ends up hiding all four of the galleries in the featured galleries section - certainly not what expected. Then try featuring a gallery again in position #1 - magically all four featured galleries become visible again.
  • Options
    James BroomeJames Broome Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    'Your cart is empty' - no way to return to gallery
    Apologies if this has already been brought up (I would assume it has...), but when a user either deletes the only item in their shopping cart or removes all items in their shopping cart, the screen just indicates that their shopping cat is empty. It contains no link back to the galleries they were ordering from.

This is real bad.

EDIT: Nevermind. It has been brought up already.
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
    My SportsShooter.com Profile
    Canon user since 1984 • Photoshop user since 1991
    1D Mk IIn • 24-70 f/2.8L • 70-200 f/2.8L • 300 f/2.8L
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    Control Panal Sub-Catagory Request
    Would it be at all possible to add an option in the control panel -> sub-catagories section to enble moving sub-catagories (and the galleries contained therein) to a different Catagory??? This has been disscussed before but... it sure would save alot of time trying to organise and move things around.

Thanks,
    Cindy Utterback
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    swab29swab29 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 17, 2005
    Private categories
    Since I use my site or personal and professional use I wanted see if there is a way to make a private gallery.
    The point would be to put my family pics taht I can share with my parents but keep that category hidden from the rest of the site so with clients come to the site, they only see what I want them to see.
    I know there is a way to make a gallery private but the only way anyone can see that gallery is if they have the directly link I sent them once. Also if I send it only to "mom" and she wants someone else to check out those pictures, she has to know the exact link and gallery number. Why not make a category private, but once in you can go to the multiple galleries in there.
    Is there a way to do this now that I am not seeing or if not, how about it Smugmug?
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2005
    swab29 wrote:
    Since I use my site or personal and professional use I wanted see if there is a way to make a private gallery.
    The point would be to put my family pics taht I can share with my parents but keep that category hidden from the rest of the site so with clients come to the site, they only see what I want them to see.
    I know there is a way to make a gallery private but the only way anyone can see that gallery is if they have the directly link I sent them once. Also if I send it only to "mom" and she wants someone else to check out those pictures, she has to know the exact link and gallery number. Why not make a category private, but once in you can go to the multiple galleries in there.
    Is there a way to do this now that I am not seeing or how about it Smugmug?

i have 100+ years of family photographs scanned and uploaded into private galleries for perusal by my extended family (75+ folks)... they all get to the neatly organized galleries (arranged by decades) by use of a sharegroup.

hope this helps you :D

andy
  • Options
    jc20jc20 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 20, 2005
    Bulk Download by Zip File
    Please add bulk download of individual galleries by zip file (similar to LinPHA or Gallery 2.0). Thanks!
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    I would love to know if there is a way to get an automatic email if someone orders from my site. And even better would be an automatic email that the order has shipped.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    swab29 wrote:
    Why not make a category private, but once in you can go to the multiple galleries in there.
    Is there a way to do this now that I am not seeing or if not, how about it Smugmug?

Yup, make a sharegroup, e-mail the link, and tell her to bookmark it right away. After she bookmarks the sharegroup, she can open it as a web page in her browser at any time, and she'll see any new galleries you add to the sharegroup in the future.
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    T4Tots wrote:
    I would love to know if there is a way to get an automatic email if someone orders from my site. And even better would be an automatic email that the order has shipped.
    I second that whole heartedly :-)
    And would add I'd love to get an e-mail when MY order ships along with the expected delievery date... not just simply one e-mail when it's processed and nothing more. The tracking usually doesn't work until the after the package has been delivered so it's of no help.

Thanks,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2005
    want option to force all-thumbs format for keyword photo page
    Enhancement Request:

Example at: http://sheaf.smugmug.com/keyword/puppies

Please provide a configuration option so that I can force this to display as all-thumbs instead of smugmug default format.
  • Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2005
    Hello all,

Is there a list somewhere that has all of the requests for enhancements listed (without having to read each page here & making it myself eek7.gif )? If so, is there a priority associated with each request or does the Smugmug Support team determine the priority?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    Page breaks
    I'd like to be able to set "page breaks" in my galleries. That is, I'd like to be able to tell smugmug to start a new gallery page after a particular picture, letting me have (for example) four shots on page 1 of the gallery and 3 shots on the next page. This would give me a way to group shots, sort of like in a photo album. Shots of the bride and groom on page 1, the bride's family on page 2, the groom's family on page 3. That sort of thing.

I asked on the "customization" forum, but Mike didn't know how to do it and suggested a feature request.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    Techman1 wrote:
    Hello all,

Is there a list somewhere that has all of the requests for enhancements listed (without having to read each page here & making it myself eek7.gif )? If so, is there a priority associated with each request or does the Smugmug Support team determine the priority?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
    We keep a list internal to smugmug that comes from a number of sources. Dgrin and the other photography forums are one source and we try to read every suggestion. A second is the help desk email we receive, which tends to include groups that wouldn't hang out on dgrin. And a third comes from new technologies that we aren't asked for but believe will have benefits.

One example is the programming technology called AJAX that enables you to quickly enter a caption by clicking an edit link next to the caption when you're logged in. That's been enormously popular but understandably no one asked for it because AJAX is new.

We do our own priority setting because we can judge things like how hard the programming is, whether we have the expertise, what customer groups benefit versus who it angers, etc.

We rarely talk about what we're working on because if something doesn't go as planned we spend too much time dousing forum flames.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    Chris,

Thank you for the reply and I fully appreciate & understand where you are coming from.

Now that I know that, I would once again like to put in a request for a different "watermarking" option on Smugmug. My hope would be that:

(1) we will be able to enter a watermark of our own choice (maybe our website).
    (2) that we could have thumbnails & category photos without the watermark and only the larger viewable photos with it.
    (3) possibly the ability to specify the location on the photos (this is the lowest on my list).

Again, I appreciate your reply and hope the watermark will get a higher priority if it isn't too complicated to code & implement! Thanks for listening & for your teams support!!!! :D

Fred
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    Search help
    I wish I could search the help docs.

I wish the help docs had a good index.
  • Options
    Gary Glass wrote:
    I wish I could search the help docs.

I wish the help docs had a good index.

Gary, that's great feedback, thanks so much for taking the time, it's really appreciated.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2005
    allow uploading CSS files
    I wish I could upload a custom CSS file to smugmug so I could reference it in my pages. As my custom styles become more complex, it makes sense to keep that code in a separate file (it's cacheable, etc.). I realize I can use an external stylesheet if I put it on another server, but it would be nice to be able to put it on my smugmug server.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2005
    Gary Glass wrote:
    I wish I could upload a custom CSS file to smugmug so I could reference it in my pages. As my custom styles become more complex, it makes sense to keep that code in a separate file (it's cacheable, etc.). I realize I can use an external stylesheet if I put it on another server, but it would be nice to be able to put it on my smugmug server.

gary, i just wanted to say that your site is *mint* what a great job on the cobranding! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

i dig your photos, too - spent a while perusing your galleries!

thanks for the feedback and suggestion here.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    gary, i just wanted to say that your site is *mint* what a great job on the cobranding! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

i dig your photos, too - spent a while perusing your galleries!
    Hey, thanks! I'm just getting started on the site. And I've got a huge backlog of pix to put up!
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    I have found the shopping cart to be confusing with prints spread across three pick boxes.

One way to simplify this would be to only have two choices in the pick box:

1) prints and
    2) photo gifts.

For this to be successful:

1) only list one of each print size and
    2) have a separate pickbox to select gloss, matte and lustre.

I realize that lustre costs more. A few suggestions on how to handle this:

1) leverage the large print volume smugmug is passing to EZ Prints and negotiate a single price irregardless of finish (as a point of reference, Costco has one set price for each print size);

2) for a given value in the photo size pick box (e.g., 4x6 print) show the upcharge for lustre in the new photo finish pick box (e.g.,
    • gloss
    • matte
    • lustre +$0.04/ea
    for 8x10 prints, you'd show "lustre +$0.49/ea", etc.; and

3) if #2 is too complicated, analyze prior order history between smugmug and EZ Prints and determine a flat rate percent increase for lustre and show that in the box, e.g., gloss / matte / lustre (add 10%).

Regards,
    Pat
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    pat.kane wrote:
    I have found the shopping cart to be confusing with prints spread across three pick boxes.

One way to simplify this would be to only have two choices in the pick box:

1) prints and
    2) photo gifts.

For this to be successful:

1) only list one of each print size and
    2) have a separate pickbox to select gloss, matte and lustre.

I realize that lustre costs more. A few suggestions on how to handle this:

1) leverage the large print volume smugmug is passing to EZ Prints and negotiate a single price irregardless of finish (as a point of reference, Costco has one set price for each print size);

2) for a given value in the photo size pick box (e.g., 4x6 print) show the upcharge for lustre in the new photo finish pick box (e.g.,
    • gloss
    • matte
    • lustre +$0.04/ea
    for 8x10 prints, you'd show "lustre +$0.49/ea", etc.; and

3) if #2 is too complicated, analyze prior order history between smugmug and EZ Prints and determine a flat rate percent increase for lustre and show that in the box, e.g., gloss / matte / lustre (add 10%).

Regards,
    Pat

hi pat - thanks for the very valuable feedback!
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    cardholder's name
    I notice that the billing info screen doesn't require the credit card holder's name. I'm guessing this means that the credit card holder's name is assumed to be the same as the first name/last name entered on the account settings page. I think that the cardholder's name should be entered explicitly in the billing info. It is not uncommon to use a credit card with a different name than your own, or to use a different name publicly on the site than is on the card.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    Gary Glass wrote:
    2 bugs with photo captions containing embedded urls.

1. If I make an explicit link like this:

Visit <a href="http://mysite/mypage.htm">http://mysite/mypage.htm</a>.

it gets confused and everything else in the caption after "Visit" goes away. True, I can just leave off the <a> tag, and smugmug will add it automatically, but it shouldn't fail to parse that tag correctly if it is there.

2. If I remove the <a> tag and let smugmug add it, it deletes the space between "Visit" and "http:...". If I put 2 spaces between "Visit" and "http:..." then it preserves the space between them.

try <HTML>your caption</HTML>

?
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    text pages
    I think it would be a nice feature if we could create "text oriented" pages. An "about me" page, would be a common example. I don't want it to be a gallery, I just want to put up a text page. True, I can create a gallery and add a photo to it, and use the photo caption to hold the text I want, but it's kind of a lot of rigamarole to go thru. Because I don't want the photo to be clickable, I don't want a slideshow, I don't want a pages navigator, etc. So I have to do a lot of stylesheet gymnastics to hide all that stuff just for that one page. Also, if I don't want a photo on that page at all, it gets worse! Seems like this would be a fairly easy one to implement and would be a great feature too.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    how to use html in captions and bio
    Gary Glass wrote:
    2 bugs with photo captions containing embedded urls.

1. If I make an explicit link like this:

Visit <a href="http://mysite/mypage.htm">http://mysite/mypage.htm</a>.

it gets confused and everything else in the caption after "Visit" goes away. True, I can just leave off the <a> tag, and smugmug will add it automatically, but it shouldn't fail to parse that tag correctly if it is there.

2. If I remove the <a> tag and let smugmug add it, it deletes the space between "Visit" and "http:...". If I put 2 spaces between "Visit" and "http:..." then it preserves the space between them.

your answers are in the smugmug blogs...
This discussion has been closed.