Options

Smugmug bugs and feature requests #7

Comments

• Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    I was reading Don's blog on Phase 2 done. On to phase 3 - Themes ahead! and wanted to comment on another feature I know has been discussed in the past.

That is bulk pricing and the ability to update pricing templates instead of having to go to each gallery if prices change or you had or remove the option to buy gifts. This defintitly would complement the current system where setting prices for the whole portfolio isn't applicable.

Also, I would like to see the ability to update a template and it be updated on the galleries it is associated with as well.

Any comments or if it is even in the works would be great!!!

Great job Smugmug crew on the latest features!!!:):
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    I just noticed that I didn't get the green google earth feed link on the bottom of my page. I started looking at other sites, and noticed that some did get it and some didn't. I don't know what it is...so I don't think I'm missing anything (I don't understand what the "feeds" are anyway), but I thought I'd bring it up just in case that is an error. ne_nau.gif

BTW...what are the feeds and should I be using them?
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    Do you have geographic location info on any of your photos?
    landrum wrote:
    I just noticed that I didn't get the green google earth feed link on the bottom of my page. I started looking at other sites, and noticed that some did get it and some didn't. I don't know what it is...so I don't think I'm missing anything (I don't understand what the "feeds" are anyway), but I thought I'd bring it up just in case that is an error. ne_nau.gif

BTW...what are the feeds and should I be using them?
    There are some new features that only appear if your photos have geographic location information in them. This may be one of them. Try putting some geographic location info on some of your photos and see if it appears.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    MakiMaki Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Tiered Passwords
    Guest logins came up in another thread and I responded with what I would like to see, but got a little OT by doing so...
    I would still like to see tiered passwords though. As I share more and more galleries for different intended audiences, it becomes a hassle when there are common users.

Example...

Master Passwords
    Lvl 5 Dog (Admin status)
    Lvl 4 cat (Guest Login)
    Lvl 3 bird (Misc)
    Lvl 2 fish (Misc)
    Lvl 1 worm (Misc)

(the selection of organisms above is not my attempt to belittle what may be your favorite organism. Nuthin' wrong with worms... just personal ratings may vary...)

There should be a set of five (more/less) master passwords that can be set up in the control panel. Each password grants users to all galleries with the same level and below. Each master password can be changed in the control panel if needed.

What this would do...: It would allow for sharing sites to your trusted friends/families without having to worry about a password. I currently do this using the Guest login, but I would not care for them to have editing features...

Along with Master passwords, there should be gallery specific password levels. Example:

Birds Gallery
    Password: GBH
    Lvl: 3

What this would do...: The current password will only apply to that gallery, and would avoid having to hand out a Master password. There should be a gallery specific customization feature flagging the gallery at what level authorization is needed to view this gallery. Perhaps, even in the control panel, there may be some assignable default level for new galleries.

So, to sum it up, those with passwords Cat, Dog, Bird, and GBH will have access to this gallery.

Does this seem like a waste of time? I think this would make sharing much less of a problem for those who password protect their galleries.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    I've noticed that when I'm in the smugmug style and I click on Next> in order to go to the next picture, the whole page reloads. My feature request is to make it so the page doesn't have to reload but the picture changes.

:D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    It would be quite easy for us to use AJAX and make the smugmug styles do that, but then we would lose the ability for users to cut and paste URLs in order to give out links to friends. We have some ways around this, but no time to experiment.
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I've noticed that when I'm in the smugmug style and I click on Next> in order to go to the next picture, the whole page reloads. My feature request is to make it so the page doesn't have to reload but the picture changes.

:D
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    It would be quite easy for us to use AJAX and make the smugmug styles do that, but then we would lose the ability for users to cut and paste URLs in order to give out links to friends. We have some ways around this, but no time to experiment.
    It sounds like you're thinking about it and will eventually come up with something. That's all I ask:D

Thanks!

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 25, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    sounds like a "link to this" type of thing like on google maps.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Please allow captions to show while in Smugmug mode!
    If not the full caption at LEAST put some visible way to differentiate pictures from videos! People looking for videos can't tell which ones are videos until they click on it, and people looking for pictures get confused when a video pops up!

The only way the caption shows is by putting it in Traditional mode, or Journal mode, which both aren't as good as Smugmug mode for pictures.

Letting captions show in Smugmug mode, or at least putting "Video" underneath or something, would be the best of both worlds!
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 25, 2005
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    If not the full caption at LEAST put some visible way to differentiate pictures from videos! People looking for videos can't tell which ones are videos until they click on it, and people looking for pictures get confused when a video pops up!

The only way the caption shows is by putting it in Traditional mode, or Journal mode, which both aren't as good as Smugmug mode for pictures.

Letting captions show in Smugmug mode, or at least putting "Video" underneath or something, would be the best of both worlds!

do you mean under the thumbnails?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2005
    Yea. I understand that the full caption might be too big, but there is room underneath the thumbnails for "Video" or "Video: Shannon", so the person knows its a video, and knows what the video is about (if the thumbnail of the video isn't enough).

This way I wouldn't have to set it to "Force traditional mode" so everyone knows which ones are videos, and which ones are pictures.
    bigwebguy wrote:
    do you mean under the thumbnails?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    DodgeV83 wrote:

i put your feature request in the feature request thread :D

fwiw, the captions show underneath the pic, yes not the thumbnail. i usually put the videos last in the gallery, and tell my visitor that there are vids at the end, and i put this not in the gallery description.
  • Options
    LuckyCrittersLuckyCritters Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2005
    Here's a couple feature requests....

1. I would love to have the ability to specify how sub-categories are ordered. All my categories relate to events, sub-categories relate to classes and galleries relate to competitors. The current method for displaying the sub-catergories leaves them in no logical order. At least nothing that's logical for the competitor.

2. The ability to do bulk gallery manipulations WITHIN A CATEGORY & SUBCATEGORY. I've only uploaded 2 events and I already have 700+ galleries. Anything I try to do in bulk mode is just plain unusable. Yet, without using bulk mode everything has to be done gallery by gallery. *ouch* Very time consuming.

The following feature requests have already been asked for, but I'd like to take the opportunity to give them a bump and to reiterate their importance.

1. Custom watermarking
    2. Ability to sell digital downloads

Thanks for the great product!

Chris
    http://gallery.luckycritters.com
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Suggestion: Can Help link open in new window?
    This should be simple enough to do, but I guess it depends on how many people want this. I'm proposing that when you're viewing your own smugmug website, and you click on the Help link, the help page open in a new browser window, rather than opening in the same window. Typically, I like to switch back and forth between help and my site - reading instructions, going back and doing it, switching back to read more instructions, etc. etc. When I'm done with Help, I close it.

And yes, right now I do right-click and select open in new window (when I remember). but mostly I forget. Anyway, it would be nice if this would be the default.

Again, I may be in the minority here on this one. But I'm curious to know if others agree with me.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2005
    NikonGirl wrote:

Again, I may be in the minority here on this one. But I'm curious to know if others agree with me.

i'm putting this suggestion where it belongs, in the feature requests thread :D
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2005
    Please limit ranking by only allowing one vote per IP address
    Please add the ability to limit the ranking of pictures by only letting each person vote once (by logging the IP address). The only thing my other site has on Smugmug is this. It allowed me to hold competitions and have everyone vote for which video was best!
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Ordering issues
    Well the ordering system is super easy to use, and easy to do crops and stuff like that. One major issue I found I have with it tonight is it's so time consuming. When I have to order tons of prints (say for a wedding) it is cumbersom (unless I am missing something). Having to look at each pic, choose buy it, go through the shopping cart (easy but not super fast), and start again with another pic is kinda slow. Specially when you have 160 different photos you are ordering prints of. Took several hours tonight. Is there a faster way to do this that I don't know about? What I would like to see is the ability to view thumbs and highlight every pic I want printed in some way (either a check box next to the ones I want to order or being able to selectively highlight each one), add all of the prints to the cart at once, and then go through doing the sizes, papers, and other adjustments. Is this a possability? Please say it is please.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    Have you not clicked on the button right next to buy it that says multiples?

Is that what you are looking for, or am I mistaken?

Well the ordering system is super easy to use, and easy to do crops and stuff like that. One major issue I found I have with it tonight is it's so time consuming. When I have to order tons of prints (say for a wedding) it is cumbersom (unless I am missing something). Having to look at each pic, choose buy it, go through the shopping cart (easy but not super fast), and start again with another pic is kinda slow. Specially when you have 160 different photos you are ordering prints of. Took several hours tonight. Is there a faster way to do this that I don't know about? What I would like to see is the ability to view thumbs and highlight every pic I want printed in some way (either a check box next to the ones I want to order or being able to selectively highlight each one), add all of the prints to the cart at once, and then go through doing the sizes, papers, and other adjustments. Is this a possability? Please say it is please.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    Have you not clicked on the button right next to buy it that says multiples?

Is that what you are looking for, or am I mistaken?

Nope the mistake was mine (if only I had figured that out earlier:bash ). Well I'll know for next time at least. Well I've got two weddings this weekend at least when I order for those it will go faster.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    We tried to make that choice more obvious in the new design, but I guess we could do more work on it. Hopefully you have tried using the quick settings once you are in the cart to speed up copying choices from one photo to another (or all) :)
    Nope the mistake was mine (if only I had figured that out earlier:bash ). Well I'll know for next time at least. Well I've got two weddings this weekend at least when I order for those it will go faster.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    Just put the following code in your stylesheet html:

.cartbuttons a.nav {
    font-size:300pt;
    }

It'll make the "multiple photos" thing really freaking huge!!!! You won't be able to miss it next time, I promise you. rolleyes1.gifthumb

• Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    We tried to make that choice more obvious in the new design, but I guess we could do more work on it. Hopefully you have tried using the quick settings once you are in the cart to speed up copying choices from one photo to another (or all) :)

Yeah love the quick settings. thumb.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Has the "Smugmug Style" bug been discussed? What happenes to me is that under "customize gallery" I will force the style "Smugmug". Then, when I check it with other browsers, it is actually forcing "Smugmug Small" and not the normal Smugmug Style that I want. Whats up with that?

And, it was mentioned earlier that it is just compensating for my lack of screen real estate and forcing the Smugmug Small style. Well, I doubt thats the case because I got a 27" LCD im using. Is there a code or fix for this? Thanks.
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    And, it was mentioned earlier that it is just compensating for my lack of screen real estate and forcing the Smugmug Small style. Well, I doubt thats the case because I got a 27" LCD im using. Is there a code or fix for this? Thanks.
    What resolution is your video card set to use? The physical size of the monitor doesn't matter, although I imagine with a monitor that big, you are probably already set to a pretty high resolution.

Matt
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    Test environment: new feature request
    I am planning on submitting this to Smugmug as formal request, but I thought I might get some discussion going here and hopefully drum up some support. :D

I think that Smugmug needs to give its users a way to preview changes before they are posted to the public site. In IT terms, a test environment. This would allow us to see how our galleries will look prior to any global changes that Smugmug makes. We could also see what our own customizations do before our visitors are subjected to our silly mistakes. Finally, by making global changes to the test environment well in advance of putting them into the "live" site, we could all help uncover bugs before our visitors see them.

What I envision is a new widget (a button on the control panel, perhaps) that switches the account owner into the test environment. Initially, the test environment simply mirrors the live environment. Changes of all sorts would be made there and could be saved in test without necessarily affecting the live site. A control in the test environment would allow us to "push" the changes into production.

This is not a radical idea, of course. All serious Web and IT installations implement this in some form. Why not let Smugmuggers have the same convenience?

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    Make this a forum, not a sticky thread...
    There is no way of knowing the subject of a new bug report or feature request without entering the thread and looking. This makes it rather hard to attract anybody's attention. :cry:cry

Just my .02€
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    There is no way of knowing the subject of a new bug report or feature request without entering the thread and looking. This makes it rather hard to attract anybody's attention. :cry:cry

Just my .02€

i assure you that the smugmug folks watch this thread diligently - and subscribe to it, so they get an email when new posts are made. thanks for your input, it's really awesome that folks like you take the time to help make smugmug a better place bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i assure you that the smugmug folks watch this thread diligently - and subscribe to it, so they get an email when new posts are made. thanks for your input, it's really awesome that folks like you take the time to help make smugmug a better place bowdown.gif
    I'm sure that Smugmug is paying attention. Their support is first rate. thumb.gif I guess what I am looking for is an easier way to discuss new feature ideas with other users. You'll have to admit that a sticky thread is not the best way to facilitate this.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I am planning on submitting this to Smugmug as formal request, but I thought I might get some discussion going here and hopefully drum up some support. :D

I think that Smugmug needs to give its users a way to preview changes before they are posted to the public site. In IT terms, a test environment. This would allow us to see how our galleries will look prior to any global changes that Smugmug makes. We could also see what our own customizations do before our visitors are subjected to our silly mistakes. Finally, by making global changes to the test environment well in advance of putting them into the "live" site, we could all help uncover bugs before our visitors see them.

What I envision is a new widget (a button on the control panel, perhaps) that switches the account owner into the test environment. Initially, the test environment simply mirrors the live environment. Changes of all sorts would be made there and could be saved in test without necessarily affecting the live site. A control in the test environment would allow us to "push" the changes into production.

This is not a radical idea, of course. All serious Web and IT installations implement this in some form. Why not let Smugmuggers have the same convenience?

Cheers,

i'd love this, if it were technically feasible i'd love to have it.

in the meantime, what i do is *always* make a copy of my css code before i make any mods. if my modification then is incorrect, i can, in seconds, return my site to it's original state.
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    You'll have to admit that a sticky thread is not the best way to facilitate this.

why not? we're discussing it now, aren't we?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    You'll have to admit that a sticky thread is not the best way to facilitate this.
    why not? we're discussing it now, aren't we?
    I guess Richard means something like they have over at SourceForge. They have Trackers for every software development group. So when you got a bug or feature to report, you go to the bug tracker and have a look if someone already reported it. If not file your own report and then everybody else can comment on your bugreport. When the developers fixed the bug they change the status of the report to fixed and that's about it.

This would be definately a nice way to channel a lot of the future threads over here into a nice bug/feature request database, but it needs to be done properly and takes some time to set up when you've found a platform to start on.

Just a thought to chime on...

Sebastian

EDIT: example for a free bug tracker
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
This discussion has been closed.