Options

Smugmug bugs and feature requests #7

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    There appears to be some sort of coding error when you try to apply a template to more than one gallery. Here's how to reproduce.

1) Create a gallery template
    2) Go to "Customize Gallery"
    3) Click on "Bulk Settings"
    4) Select a few galleries
    5) Click on a few galleries
    6) Select the template you created
    7) Click on the apply button
    8) You get an alert that says:

"jfriend.smugmug.comhttp could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

If you believe this error message, it looks like some URL building code is getting the "http" on the end of the URL instead of the front of the URL.

--John

thank you, merged to the bug report thread.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    zoom thumbnail in bulk
    I noticed the well designed site and beautiful imagery at pristine-light.com after browsing the "Smugmug Site of the Week!" thread last week.

One of the items I really liked and didn't even realize was possible is the ability to zoom in on thumbnails. It's a great feature but right now takes a lot of time to use as you have to do it photo by photo. I'd like to add to the list of requests to make this tool available in batch mode.

Here's another thread with ideas on improving the tool:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19458&highlight=zoom

Thanks,
    Pat
  • Options
    hutchhutch Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    The Zoom Thumnail feature is great. I do agree though that we need some type of bulk function for this. It can be rather tedious to do this on one gallery. I understand the limitation of 'where to crop', but possibly having the option of simply a center 1x1 crop would be good for many situations. With the option of individually modifying specific ones?

pat.kane wrote:
    I noticed the well designed site and beautiful imagery at pristine-light.com after browsing the "Smugmug Site of the Week!" thread last week.

One of the items I really liked and didn't even realize was possible is the ability to zoom in on thumbnails. It's a great feature but right now takes a lot of time to use as you have to do it photo by photo. I'd like to add to the list of requests to make this tool available in batch mode.

Here's another thread with ideas on improving the tool:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19458&highlight=zoom

Thanks,
    Pat
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Yikes... the file names don't show in the cart... quick..
    I just went to order a huge order for customers who need several of lots of prints. Many are very similar and you cant see the difference by looking at the thumbnails. Others I'm just going down the order form by filename and entering the quanity & sizes as they have listed however I don't even see thumbnails on my order form so I REALLY need the filename displayed to enter these fields while comparing to my forms.

Is there some reason why they don't display? Is there a way to force the filenames to display that I'm missing? Can we possibly have a fix on this REALLY SOON???

I've noticed in the past that the filenumbers also don't show up on my invoice... this is like an item # so I really, really think it should be there... exspecailly in case the order should somehow get messed up... then we have actual filenumbers to compare to.

Thanks,
    Cindy
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    clennyclenny Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Photographer-Controlled Crops
    Will smugmug ever plan to allow photographer-controlled crops? I want more control over the final product than just letting the user crop it. We wouldn't even have to define the crop for each size just for each ratio.
  • Options
    pecheneypecheney Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Feature Request...errr...Theme Request...
    Out of curiosity, is there a forum on here for prebuilty Themes submitted by SM users? Sorry to sound lazy, but I just started playing with the Sand theme to see how my photos look in a different setup. Yikes, very cool. But I am looking for somethinga tad different and was curious if anybody else had some themes uploaded to dgrin that we coulc copy and paste. Kind of like skins for a vBulletin... make sense?

I am willing to pay a little if it is what I am looking for. Offshoots of open source! clap.gif

PEC

PS: this vBulletin is very well dialed in. Just my two cents. Kudos.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    pecheney wrote:
    Out of curiosity, is there a forum on here for prebuilty Themes submitted by SM users? Sorry to sound lazy, but I just started playing with the Sand theme to see how my photos look in a different setup. Yikes, very cool. But I am looking for somethinga tad different and was curious if anybody else had some themes uploaded to dgrin that we coulc copy and paste. Kind of like skins for a vBulletin... make sense?

I am willing to pay a little if it is what I am looking for. Offshoots of open source! clap.gif

PEC

PS: this vBulletin is very well dialed in. Just my two cents. Kudos.
    You mean like this?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    fridgesmfridgesm Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2005
    URL keeps reverting to www.smugmug.com in galleries
    I'm trying out smugmug, and I'm having a huge problem with the galleries. I can navigate around the control panel, main page, etc just fine. But if I click on a gallery, it reverts back to www.smugmug.com. The link to the gallery does not have that, but after you click it, you end up at www.smugmug.com/gallery/###### instead of mydomain.smugmug.com/gallery/######. Do I have something set up wrong, or is that a bug in smugmug?
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    How about an actual link to the affected gallery? Do you happen to have hide gallery owner turned on?
    fridgesm wrote:
    I'm trying out smugmug, and I'm having a huge problem with the galleries. I can navigate around the control panel, main page, etc just fine. But if I click on a gallery, it reverts back to www.smugmug.com. The link to the gallery does not have that, but after you click it, you end up at www.smugmug.com/gallery/###### instead of mydomain.smugmug.com/gallery/######. Do I have something set up wrong, or is that a bug in smugmug?
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Bulk settings suggestion - group
    The bulk settings screen (when it's working, and I know about the current http://site.smugmug.comhttp//site.smugmug.com/gallery/settings.mg fix awaiting rollout) is helpful and good.

It might be even better if the galleries were sorted by category (and sub, I suppose). As it is, it's hunt-and-peck through and hope you found all the right ones.

thanks for considering.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    The bulk settings screen (when it's working, and I know about the current http://site.smugmug.comhttp//site.smugmug.com/gallery/settings.mg fix awaiting rollout) is helpful and good.

It might be even better if the galleries were sorted by category (and sub, I suppose). As it is, it's hunt-and-peck through and hope you found all the right ones.

thanks for considering.

moved to the features request thread.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2005
    clenny wrote:
    Will smugmug ever plan to allow photographer-controlled crops? I want more control over the final product than just letting the user crop it. We wouldn't even have to define the crop for each size just for each ratio.

hi clenny, thanks for the feedback - it's very valuable. i moved your post to the suggestions thread here.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Suggestion for arranging photos
    I may be in the minority here, but I shoot film for some of my family pictures. I also like to keep chronological order for my boys' galleries. That is easy enough with arrange photos by date taken, BUT it arranges all of the photos, so theones shot on film, lacking exif get thrown down at the bottom. What I would propose is the ability to arrange 'selected' photos by date taken, leaving the scanned pics where I put them.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    Blurmore wrote:
    I may be in the minority here, but I shoot film for some of my family pictures. I also like to keep chronological order for my boys' galleries. That is easy enough with arrange photos by date taken, BUT it arranges all of the photos, so theones shot on film, lacking exif get thrown down at the bottom. What I would propose is the ability to arrange 'selected' photos by date taken, leaving the scanned pics where I put them.

thanks for your suggestion, don't know if it's possible, but i've moved to the proper thread for you so that the engineers can see it thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Could you put a date on the scanned photos before upload?
    Blurmore wrote:
    Another possibility would be to tag the scanned photos with an appropriate date before you upload them to Smugmug and then you might be able to use the existing features.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2005
    Co brand edit boxes wider please
    In the co-brand editing page, can we please have the edit boxes wider than they are now? There's a ton of width available in the page and it's a whole lot easier to see what's in those edit boxes if it doesn't wrap artificially because it's too narrow. I'd like to see 120 columns of width. Right now, we only have 53 chars of width (Firefox on windows) which guarantees that lots of lines will wrap prematurely and be hard to read.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    moving pictures + gallery links
    I often give gallery links to a specific image to people instead of direct links, because I want them to be tracked. If I move a picture to another gallery and one uses the old gallery link, the picture will be still displayed, but like it's still in the old gallery and instead of the real first picture of the gallery. This could create a lot of confusion if the person navigates to the next picture and then back - there's another picture instead of the linked one.
    I would like to have a forward to the new gallery or at least state somehow that the picture was moved to another gallery and then present the link to it.

I mentioned this a long time ago and at this time the image wasn't displayed at all - so already some improvement. Just one step further and it's perfect! mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    I often give gallery links to a specific image to people instead of direct links, because I want them to be tracked. If I move a picture to another gallery and one uses the old gallery link, the picture will be still displayed, but like it's still in the old gallery and instead of the real first picture of the gallery. This could create a lot of confusion if the person navigates to the next picture and then back - there's another picture instead of the linked one.
    I would like to have a forward to the new gallery or at least state somehow that the picture was moved to another gallery and then present the link to it.

I mentioned this a long time ago and at this time the image wasn't displayed at all - so already some improvement. Just one step further and it's perfect! mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian

thanks for the suggestion, rainforest ... moved to the requests thread...
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    You could do this yourself with JavaScript

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    It may be more trouble than it's worth to you, but it's possible to do this with JavaScript.

I wrote about vanity URLs in this message to solve a similar problem. In my case, I had given out URLs to categories (which have the category name in them), but I wanted to rearrange my site some and thus rename some of the categories, but still preserve the original category URLs so users following the links from old emails would still land in the right place. To do so, I wrote JavaScript in my site that would sniff for the original URL and then automatically forward the user to the new URL. I made the JavaScript so that it was only active on my homepage, not other pages on my site, but you could generalize it to do what you wanted too for individual images. Then, you'd just have to make a table entry in the script each time you wanted to add an URL for automatic forwarding.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    In the co-brand editing page, can we please have the edit boxes wider than they are now? There's a ton of width available in the page and it's a whole lot easier to see what's in those edit boxes if it doesn't wrap artificially because it's too narrow. I'd like to see 120 columns of width. Right now, we only have 53 chars of width (Firefox on windows) which guarantees that lots of lines will wrap prematurely and be hard to read.

I second this. I would definitely like to have more room when I go to edit my stuff if possible.

Also, just so I don't go insane trying to fix people's problems, is it possible to find some way to let users know that they shouldn't be putting things in the body tag box unless they know what they're doing? I've been thinking of the right way to do it but I can't come up with one. Maybe you could say "don't put your statcounter code here" :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Missing <a> tag or extra </a> in standard smugmug page, no customizations
    I was trying to help another user with some page customization problems and running their page through an HTML validator when I realized that the standard smugmug footer has an HTML bug.

This piece of HTML has a tag with no corresponding tag:
    shopping cart |
    portions © 2005 smugmug, inc. It's probably not serious, but it seems like it should get fixed in the next round of fixes.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Believe it or not while I was editing the Theme credits I noticed it and fixed it on Monday :) You don't see any problems on the page becuase it occurs so close to the end.
    jfriend wrote:
    I was trying to help another user with some page customization problems and running their page through an HTML validator when I realized that the standard smugmug footer has an HTML bug.

This piece of HTML has a </a> tag with no corresponding <a> tag:
    <a href="http://www.smugmug.com/cart/&quot; class="nav">shopping cart</a> | </span>
    <span class="text">portions © 2005 smugmug, inc.</a> It's probably not serious, but it seems like it should get fixed in the next round of fixes.
  • Options
    abikerabiker Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2005
    Originals
    I have most of my gallery settings set as no larges and no originals, but I'd like to be able to see them when I'm logged in.
  • Options
    abikerabiker Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2005
    Stats
    When I look at the stats for the month, it would be awesome if I could change the view to show me things like larges viewed, or even better in each gallery, show the number of views graphically right next to the thumbnail. It would just make it that much easier to check and see which photos have tons of hits, and of what sizes.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    abiker wrote:
    When I look at the stats for the month, it would be awesome if I could change the view to show me things like larges viewed, or even better in each gallery, show the number of views graphically right next to the thumbnail. It would just make it that much easier to check and see which photos have tons of hits, and of what sizes.

Hi Abiker, thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    KimRKimR Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    I would love to see more photo sizes to print from.

I've started digitally scrapbooking and really the only size I can order is 8x8, would love the option of 6x6 and 12x12 (for these I have to print elsewhere!)

Also for photos...just more sizes to choose from....
    Thanks...Kim =)
  • Options
    suchitsuchit Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Smugmug Map feature?
    I think like many others, I upload groups of pictures onto SmugMug from trips. Can we have a feature to enter just one Lat/Long info for a gallery?

Another option would be like the Sort feature to "select" the images and then post just one Latitude/Longitude info onto all the selected images.

Especially for those images that are not from US, its a pain to enter information one by one to each image.

~ Suchit
    http://photos.suchit.in
    ~ Suchit Nanda
    http://photos.suchit.in/ http://suchitnanda.org/
    Transforming light into expressions of emotions.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    suchit wrote:
    I think like many others, I upload groups of pictures onto SmugMug from trips. Can we have a feature to enter just one Lat/Long info for a gallery?

Another option would be like the Sort feature to "select" the images and then post just one Latitude/Longitude info onto all the selected images.

Especially for those images that are not from US, its a pain to enter information one by one to each image.

~ Suchit
    http://photos.suchit.in

Thanks, Suchit, for the suggestion. Moved to the suggestions thread.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    KimR wrote:
    I would love to see more photo sizes to print from.

I've started digitally scrapbooking and really the only size I can order is 8x8, would love the option of 6x6 and 12x12 (for these I have to print elsewhere!)

Also for photos...just more sizes to choose from....
    Thanks...Kim =)

Hi Kim, thanks for taking the time to post your suggestion. I've moved it from the dgrin suggestion box to the smugmug features request thread.
  • Options
    Bob MorrisonBob Morrison Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Can I change the Windows Uploader Default Directory?
    Three suggestions:

First suggestion: When I choose Upload Pictures in Windows Explorer Uploader it defaults to a really wierd directory, and it goes back to that wierd directory when I immediately try to upload more photos. Very annoying. How does the uploader determine which directory to go to, and how can it be changed? Why does it not default to the most recent directory it was pointed to? Could that please be considered for an upgrade?

Second suggestion: I would like for it to be possible to view a list of my keywords when I'm entering them during the Bulk Captions Keywords process.

Third suggestion: When I log in (pro user) and choose to return to the page I was viewing, I arrive there logged in but without any pro user controls. Bug? or Feature?

I really enjoy Smugmug. Thanks for all the good work, and for being so responsive.
This discussion has been closed.