Options

Smugmug bugs and feature requests #7

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Three suggestions:

First suggestion: When I choose Upload Pictures in Windows Explorer Uploader it defaults to a really wierd directory, and it goes back to that wierd directory when I immediately try to upload more photos. Very annoying. How does the uploader determine which directory to go to, and how can it be changed? Why does it not default to the most recent directory it was pointed to? Could that please be considered for an upgrade?

Second suggestion: I would like for it to be possible to view a list of my keywords when I'm entering them during the Bulk Captions Keywords process.

Third suggestion: When I log in (pro user) and choose to return to the page I was viewing, I arrive there logged in but without any pro user controls. Bug? or Feature?

I really enjoy Smugmug. Thanks for all the good work, and for being so responsive.

Hi Bob, thanks for taking the time to post these suggestions. We love to hear from you! I've moved your post the the suggestions thread, so it can be better tracked.

Standby for responses to your first two questions.

Last item: when you log in, try clicking on "go to my homepage" you'll then see your pro user controls (control panel, etc).
  • Options
    jkruse13jkruse13 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    JT just began working on them yesterday. We're hoping it's perhaps a 2-week project for him but we really don't know until he gets into it more. The issue is we need a way to specify fonts, placement, etc.

More when we know more.

Thanks,
    Baldy
    Good Afternoon All - I am writting to request an update on the Holiday / Christmas Card option. Thanks for your time.

Jason. thumb.gif
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Wishlist suggestion (possible package solution)
    Hi everyone,

How about a wishlist cart people could add their desired items to, save for later reference or ordering, or best of all that they could e-mail their list to friends & family for gift idea/hints OR to me when they want to buy packages. If they could add comments to the wishlist when e-mailing that would be super fabulous :):
    Since we can't offer on-line package orders *YET* (still hoping for someday) if they at least had an easy way to e-mail a wish list to me it would help both the customer & myself out bigtime.

Any thoughts? I honestly don't have any idea how hard or difficult it would it be to immplement something like this but I know I sure make use of wishlists on many websites (I really LIKE them & don't lose them) and was thinking how cool they could be in many ways for our customers.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    Cindy wrote:
    Hi everyone,

How about a wishlist cart people could add their desired items to, save for later reference or ordering, or best of all that they could e-mail their list to friends & family for gift idea/hints OR to me when they want to buy packages. If they could add comments to the wishlist when e-mailing that would be super fabulous :):
    Since we can't offer on-line package orders *YET* (still hoping for someday) if they at least had an easy way to e-mail a wish list to me it would help both the customer & myself out bigtime.

Any thoughts? I honestly don't have any idea how hard or difficult it would it be to immplement something like this but I know I sure make use of wishlists on many websites (I really LIKE them & don't lose them) and was thinking how cool they could be in many ways for our customers.
    Thanks for taking the time to suggest this, Cindy.
  • Options
    abikerabiker Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2005
    Zoomed section
    I run a site that has lots of event photos. I want to put them all up in case some people just want to see themselves, but it's hard for them tell how good the orginal is without sharing the originals with them. Could we have something that will zoom in on a very small area (like a face) to see how detailed/infocus/outofshadow it is?

Thanks - kevin
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Greeting Cards
    I have searched everywhere and really haven't found what I was looking for. I was hoping to offer holiday cards this year in my pro account, but can't find the option for it anywhere.

I looked on EZ Prints site - http://www.ezprints.com/ezdirect/products.asp?type=Print - and they offer the greeting cards.

Is this something that smugmug will add? or am I just missing something?

Thanks,

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I have searched everywhere and really haven't found what I was looking for. I was hoping to offer holiday cards this year in my pro account, but can't find the option for it anywhere.

I looked on EZ Prints site - http://www.ezprints.com/ezdirect/products.asp?type=Print - and they offer the greeting cards.

Is this something that smugmug will add? or am I just missing something?

Thanks,

Steven

Hi Steven, thanks for the suggestion, very much. Yes, we'd like to have them but we don't currently offer them. When we have more to offer on the subject, you'll hear about it, for sure.

Thanks again for the suggestion, and I wish I had a better answer for you.

Andy
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    abiker wrote:
    I run a site that has lots of event photos. I want to put them all up in case some people just want to see themselves, but it's hard for them tell how good the orginal is without sharing the originals with them. Could we have something that will zoom in on a very small area (like a face) to see how detailed/infocus/outofshadow it is?

Thanks - kevin

Hi Kevin, Thanks so much for taking the time to post this suggestion. I'll make sure that the engineers see it.

Andy
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Hi Steven, thanks for the suggestion, very much. Yes, we'd like to have them but we don't currently offer them. When we have more to offer on the subject, you'll hear about it, for sure.

Thanks again for the suggestion, and I wish I had a better answer for you.

Andy
    Roger that... Thanks for the quick reply... not the answer I was hoping for, but oh well...

I think maybe I can get them directly from EZ Prints
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Feature suggestion for a 'comment control panel' - brainstorming and poll done over here

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    bug: bulk gallery setting
    Today I tried for the first time the bulk gallery setting tool and selected a newly created and empty gallery and wanted to apply a setting template to it. Upon clicking on 'apply' I got a 404 error! Never had this before. This is the address in my address bar which produced the 404 error:
    http://rainforest1155.smugmug.com/gallery/bulksettings.mg?UserID=7510&goTo=http%3A%2F%2Frainforest1155.smugmug.com%2Fgallery%2Fsettings.mg%3FAlbumID%3D934206

This is the gallery in question: http://rainforest1155.smugmug.com/gallery/934206

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    Quick pricing feature request
    In trying to bring some sanity to my print pricing I found myself mired in some confusing, error prone, and repetitive tasks. I think these could be greatly simplified with a few additions to the "Quick Pricing" "Products" pull down menu. Here are some of the things I would have liked:
    1. Matte, Luster, Glossy, so I could quickly make sure that customers would only have to option to buy luster (e.g.)
    2. Exact fit for 2:3 ratio, so I could quicly exclude all paper sizes that require crops for uncropped shots.
    3. Novelties & gifts, so I could exclude all of these and then custom price just the ones that make sense for me to offer.
    4. Price limits. For example, Prices > $10, $25, $50, &etc. Charging 400% over the smugmug default might make sense for 8x10s, but as the price starts to climb, I'd like to be able to quickly apply a different ratio.

Seems to me that just these few additions would make this process a lot easier.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    In trying to bring some sanity to my print pricing I found myself mired in some confusing, error prone, and repetitive tasks. I think these could be greatly simplified with a few additions to the "Quick Pricing" "Products" pull down menu. Here are some of the things I would have liked:
    1. Matte, Luster, Glossy, so I could quickly make sure that customers would only have to option to buy luster (e.g.)
    2. Exact fit for 2:3 ratio, so I could quicly exclude all paper sizes that require crops for uncropped shots.
    3. Novelties & gifts, so I could exclude all of these and then custom price just the ones that make sense for me to offer.
    4. Price limits. For example, Prices > $10, $25, $50, &etc. Charging 400% over the smugmug default might make sense for 8x10s, but as the price starts to climb, I'd like to be able to quickly apply a different ratio.

Seems to me that just these few additions would make this process a lot easier.

I spent the afternoon working with this and I sort of got the hang of it and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I just set all the prices to 0 to start with and then go set the few I actually want to offer. It was learning the trick of setting them all to zero and figuring out which sizes to offer that took a while at first.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I spent the afternoon working with this and I sort of got the hang of it and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I just set all the prices to 0 to start with and then go set the few I actually want to offer. It was learning the trick of setting them all to zero and figuring out which sizes to offer that took a while at first.

Great, Rutt thumb.gif. And thanks for taking the time to give us your suggestions, too.
  • Options
    ButterflySisButterflySis Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Is there a way for the file name to show even after entering a description? If not, could this be done? I like having the file name show and I also like a description to show as well.

Thanks.

- Jen
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2005
    Is there a way for the file name to show even after entering a description? If not, could this be done? I like having the file name show and I also like a description to show as well.

Thanks.

- Jen
    Yes, if you don't type over the File Name, when editing the caption? Would that work for you? ear.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
  • Options
    Bob MorrisonBob Morrison Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    I've looked all over and can't find it. Where's the "Suggestions Thread"?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    I'd say you're in it thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005

Smugmug suggestions right here. dgrin site suggestions here
  • Options
    ButterflySisButterflySis Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Yes, if you don't type over the File Name, when editing the caption? Would that work for you? ear.gif

Thanks...I see it now. I'm just blind. :D
  • Options
    beqbeq Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    Multiple domain support for Pro account?
    This might've been asked before, but can smugmug support more than one custom domain (hostname) for a Pro account, perhaps for an extra fee? I noticed that you can buy extra bandwidth if necessary, but I couldn't find any information about extra domains.

I just upgraded my personal account from Standard to Pro solely for the custom domain support. This is just an archive for family pictures, so I don't actually need the extra bandwidth, customizations or other Pro features. But even though $100/year is a lot of money for me, smugmug is so good I couldn't resist :D

The custom domain I assigned to the account is our last name (as is the account nickname), which is great for family and friends. But I don't want to use a URL based on my name to link to pictures for posting on public forums! I would thus like to assign perhaps a couple of additional domains that are less personal.

I have already tried pointing a second custom domain (via a CNAME alias) to my main custom domain, which in turn points to smugmug (by either CNAME aliasing to www.smugmug.com or by pointing to smugmug's current IP address via an A record).

But when using the second custom domain, the URL on the address bar just gets changed to the main custom domain upon clicking on most links on the site.

So in some cases perhaps I can use the second domain in a URL to link directly to single photos, but not for linking to galleries and such. And for linking to single photos, as I recall I could already use any custom domain I want (even with a Standard account) since it doesn't require direct support from smugmug.

I'm not sure if there are reasons for smugmug not to support extra custom domains, but it seems to me it should not require a lot of extra resources?
  • Options
    NaturalEyeNaturalEye Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    beq wrote:
    This might've been asked before, but can smugmug support more than one custom domain (hostname) for a Pro account, perhaps for an extra fee? I noticed that you can buy extra bandwidth if necessary, but I couldn't find any information about extra domains.

I just upgraded my personal account from Standard to Pro solely for the custom domain support. This is just an archive for family pictures, so I don't actually need the extra bandwidth, customizations or other Pro features. But even though $100/year is a lot of money for me, smugmug is so good I couldn't resist :D

The custom domain I assigned to the account is our last name (as is the account nickname), which is great for family and friends. But I don't want to use a URL based on my name to link to pictures for posting on public forums! I would thus like to assign perhaps a couple of additional domains that are less personal.

I have already tried pointing a second custom domain (via a CNAME alias) to my main custom domain, which in turn points to smugmug (by either CNAME aliasing to www.smugmug.com or by pointing to smugmug's current IP address via an A record).

But when using the second custom domain, the URL on the address bar just gets changed to the main custom domain upon clicking on most links on the site.

So in some cases perhaps I can use the second domain in a URL to link directly to single photos, but not for linking to galleries and such. And for linking to single photos, as I recall I could already use any custom domain I want (even with a Standard account) since it doesn't require direct support from smugmug.

I'm not sure if there are reasons for smugmug not to support extra custom domains, but it seems to me it should not require a lot of extra resources?
    This would be nice for pointing a .co.uk and a .com to the same smugmug account too

Gary
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2005
    beq wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    peter@ciauk.competer@ciauk.com Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 7, 2005
    Time display
    A little thing, but I would like to see the gallery update timestamp in my own time zone. I think most of the world lives outside the PST timezone!

I couldn't see anything for this in control panel, nor any reference when I searched in the forum.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2005
    A little thing, but I would like to see the gallery update timestamp in my own time zone. I think most of the world lives outside the PST timezone!
    Thanks for bringing this up again! They have been requested before, like here or by myself almost a year ago. Maybe JT can give us a small progress report on it. thumb.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    beqbeq Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    I also wanted to say thanks again to Andy for his previous reply to my support email (if this is the same Andy that is).

You had also suggested pointing a second custom domain to my main custom domain, but that solution didn't seem to work for me, as I explained in my above post. Were you perhaps referring to another solution that I might've misunderstood?

Anyways, any further help or tips would be appreciated...

P.S. On an unrelated question, I was wondering if there's any difference if I should point my (main) custom domain via CNAME alias to 'www.smugmug.com' or to 'accountnickname.smugmug.com'? The smugmug documentation says to point to 'www.smugmug.com'...
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2005
    beq wrote:
    I also wanted to say thanks again to Andy for his previous reply to my support email (if this is the same Andy that is).

You had also suggested pointing a second custom domain to my main custom domain, but that solution didn't seem to work for me, as I explained in my above post. Were you perhaps referring to another solution that I might've misunderstood?

Anyways, any further help or tips would be appreciated...

P.S. On an unrelated question, I was wondering if there's any difference if I should point my (main) custom domain via CNAME alias to 'www.smugmug.com' or to 'accountnickname.smugmug.com'? The smugmug documentation says to point to 'www.smugmug.com'...

Hi Beq, yep - same Andy (thank goodness only one of me lol3.gif) ... I'm sorry but you can only have one custom hostname per account.

And, point it to www.smugmug.com
    In your control panel, don't forget to put in your domain name, as described in the above-linked help page.

I hope this helps,
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    On the customize gallery page you've got the page broken into essential and extras. Themes are under essentials. Seems to me that it should be moved to extras.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    On the customize gallery page you've got the page broken into essential and extras. Themes are under essentials. Seems to me that it should be moved to extras.

Based on uptake, adoption of usage, they're pretty essential to a lot of folks....
This discussion has been closed.