Options

Smugmug bugs and feature requests #7

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    smugmaps isn't looking very good in Opera 8.5 - screenshot
    Never is more of the map displayed then in the picture. When I pull the map a little more down, the ratio is switched - leaving 2/3 of the window gray and only 1/3 shows the map. Also the background of the site is missing. ne_nau.gif

Hope you can do something about it. I'm thinking of changing to Opera as it is free now.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Never is more of the map displayed then in the picture. When I pull the map a little more down, the ratio is switched - leaving 2/3 of the window gray and only 1/3 shows the map. Also the background of the site is missing. ne_nau.gif

Hope you can do something about it. I'm thinking of changing to Opera as it is free now.

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian.
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    I was able to make the background black by telling Opera to identify itself as Opera and not IE. As for the gray background, I am not sure what is going on there. But, I gotta say - Opera is not 100% supported on smugmug, so there is a chance this will never work.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
  • Options
    dougransomdougransom Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 15, 2005
    Request: Photoblog
    Request ability to create RSS or atom feeds with associated CSS (so RSS looks ok in browser) to display all photos I upload in reverse chronological order of upload, along with caption, title, and keywords embedded in the RSS feed.

Use case 1: Photostream for my family and friends, so they don't ave to look at the albums to see the new photos.

Use case 2: text and tags are correctly indexed for technorati keyword and text search.

Use case 3: images are correctly indexed for technorati image search.

I don't think you would need an HTML blog to go with this -- RSS should display fine in a browser with correct CSS.

Some customization should allowed (i.e. generate feeds based on account, album, keywords, etc with simple URI hackery) in case I just want a ski feed.

Keep the current feeds though - updated or new albums.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    dougransom wrote:
    Request ability to create RSS or atom feeds with associated CSS (so RSS looks ok in browser) to display all photos I upload in reverse chronological order of upload, along with caption, title, and keywords embedded in the RSS feed.

Use case 1: Photostream for my family and friends, so they don't ave to look at the albums to see the new photos.

Use case 2: text and tags are correctly indexed for technorati keyword and text search.

Use case 3: images are correctly indexed for technorati image search.

I don't think you would need an HTML blog to go with this -- RSS should display fine in a browser with correct CSS.

Some customization should allowed (i.e. generate feeds based on account, album, keywords, etc with simple URI hackery) in case I just want a ski feed.

Keep the current feeds though - updated or new albums.
    I personally have never seen a styled feed. Do you have an example of such? I was actually in the understanding that feeds are purposefully NOT styled (or cannot be styled maybe). If your friends and family have an RSS reader (like firefox or thunderbird or about a billion others) they can read your feed (with whatever styles they want) any time they want.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 15, 2005
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/teamsystem/rss.xml

all it does is apply a xsl transformation (not the same as css like earlier mentioned) in the web browser, it's ignored by aggregators
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I personally have never seen a styled feed. Do you have an example of such? I was actually in the understanding that feeds are purposefully NOT styled (or cannot be styled maybe). If your friends and family have an RSS reader (like firefox or thunderbird or about a billion others) they can read your feed (with whatever styles they want) any time they want.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    bigwebguy wrote:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/teamsystem/rss.xml

all it does is apply a xsl transformation (not the same as css like earlier mentioned) in the web browser, it's ignored by aggregators
    Well there it is. XSL = mysterious magic to me.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    going tech-head for a minute here...
    I started to reply that since RSS is XML, not HTML, it "can't" be styled using CSS... but then I started to dig (Use the source, Luke) and surprised myself. SM could create an CSS (or, of course, XSL) file and then include a pointer to it in the top of the RSS (XML) feed.

Blogger does this, has a <?xml-stylesheet href="http://www.blogger.com/styles/atom.css&quot; type="text/css"?> link and the feed's file actually shows up reasonably well in a browser. Open http://steven.vorefamily.net/atom.xml in a browser to see an example. That's Atom, but some quick experimenting shows that it works reasonably well in RSS 1.0 as well.

But that's really just to make the xml readable in a browser.

I don't think it goes toward styling in an aggregator... but I could be wrong again xzicon_smile_cool.gif
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    feature request - timezones
    this isn't a show stopper, but something that's been bugging me.

can we have the time displayed in our local timezone when we're logged in?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    bigwebguy wrote:
    this isn't a show stopper, but something that's been bugging me.

can we have the time displayed in our local timezone when we're logged in?

Do you mean on Dgrin or SmugMug?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Do you mean on Dgrin or SmugMug?
    my bad, smugmug
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    bigwebguy wrote:
    my bad, smugmug

OK - so on the SmugMug homepage, you want the "last updated" to be in your local time.

Gotcha - it's been asked before - no promises on if/when but thanks for your input, it's really valuable to hear.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    OK - so on the SmugMug homepage, you want the "last updated" to be in your local time.

Gotcha - it's been asked before - no promises on if/when but thanks for your input, it's really valuable to hear.
    yeah, last updated...comment timestamps etc..
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Why not add the backup CD's to gift items?
    I'd really like to be able to make those super-convenient backup CD's available to the public. Does anybody else think this would be a good idea? If nobody at all is really keen on the idea then I suppose I can just accept paypal paymens and order the CD's / DVD's myself, but wouldn't it be easy to add them to the list of gift items?

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    I'd really like to be able to make those super-convenient backup CD's available to the public. Does anybody else think this would be a good idea? If nobody at all is really keen on the idea then I suppose I can just accept paypal paymens and order the CD's / DVD's myself, but wouldn't it be easy to add them to the list of gift items?

Take care,
    -Matt-

Hi Matt, thanks for writing. Currently this is an owner-only feature - most folks would probably not want the general public ording CDs of their photographs.

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion, though!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Hi Matt, thanks for writing. Currently this is an owner-only feature - most folks would probably not want the general public ording CDs of their photographs.

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion, though!
    I can really understand not wanting to sell a CD of MY photographs, meaning my fine art kinda stuff that I try to sell as print only. Laughing.gif offering a CD of my "landscape portfolio" with 20x30" printable images in it would be suicide.

But for small events I shoot, involving many moms and dads who want pictures of their children, for example, I think it would be a great thing to be able to, for example, disable original viewing, but allow the sale of a CD of original res. photos. Even for a wedding, photographers could sell that CD / DVD for hundreds of dollars! (Or maybe put misc. journalistic and group shots in one gallery with a CD available, and the official (pricey) couple portraits in a separate gallery that has CD's un-available? That sounds like a sweet deal to me!)

Does this make my idea sound a bit closer to logical?

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    I can really understand not wanting to sell a CD of MY photographs, meaning my fine art kinda stuff that I try to sell as print only. Laughing.gif offering a CD of my "landscape portfolio" with 20x30" printable images in it would be suicide.

But for small events I shoot, involving many moms and dads who want pictures of their children, for example, I think it would be a great thing to be able to, for example, disable original viewing, but allow the sale of a CD of original res. photos. Even for a wedding, photographers could sell that CD / DVD for hundreds of dollars! (Or maybe put misc. journalistic and group shots in one gallery with a CD available, and the official (pricey) couple portraits in a separate gallery that has CD's un-available? That sounds like a sweet deal to me!)

Does this make my idea sound a bit closer to logical?

-Matt-

Thanks for the suggestion, Matt - I've moved it to the BIG thread so we can have it with the others.
  • Options
    cybercrypt13cybercrypt13 Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Can we have you resort?
    Hey guys, its me again... Is there anyway that we could get you guys to sort the drop down lists of catagories in alpha order? It seems they are currently sorted by their parent catagory or something but when you get a lot of different catagories in there it starts to become rather difficult to find what you are looking for.

Thanks,
    --

glenn hancock
    http://www.gshutter.com
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 20, 2005
    Copyright message
    Hi all, question for you. When the "Protected" option is turned on in Customize gallery, a viewer right clicks on the image and gets a message “These photos are copyrighted by their respective owners….” This is a good option to stop unwanted downloads, but can the message be changed? It looks as if there are more than one photographer posting on my website, but there is only one photographer. Is there some kind of co-ownership issue that I don’t know about? If not, changing it would make more sense for viewers…it bothers me a little that viewers may think that they might or might not be viewing images taken by the website’s photographer. As always, thanks much, Shane

• Options
    edited November 20, 2005
    Hi all, question for you. When the "Protected" option is turned on in Customize gallery, a viewer right clicks on the image and gets a message “These photos are copyrighted by their respective owners….” This is a good option to stop unwanted downloads, but can the message be changed? It looks as if there are more than one photographer posting on my website, but there is only one photographer. Is there some kind of co-ownership issue that I don’t know about? If not, changing it would make more sense for viewers…it bothers me a little that viewers may think that they might or might not be viewing images taken by the website’s photographer. As always, thanks much, Shane

Hi Shane, Thanks for writing. For now, it can't be changed but we appreciate your suggestion and I'll look into it with the rest of the team.

I'm putting this in the features request thread. Thanks again for taking the time to post,

Andy
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Hey guys, its me again... Is there anyway that we could get you guys to sort the drop down lists of catagories in alpha order? It seems they are currently sorted by their parent catagory or something but when you get a lot of different catagories in there it starts to become rather difficult to find what you are looking for.
    Thanks,
    New categories show at the top which is nice, but you're right, it is not fun. The best is keep typing
    in the starting letter and it will jump thru the list to each with that letter. Or the first two, three,
    etc. for faster jump.
    AL

Edited to add quote.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2005
    Moving the the feature request thread.

Thanks for the suggestion, Glenn!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    You can change the right protect message
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Shane, Thanks for writing. For now, it can't be changed but we appreciate your suggestion and I'll look into it with the rest of the team.

I'm putting this in the features request thread. Thanks again for taking the time to post,

Andy
    Actually, you can change this message for your own pages using JavaScript. To do this, you just have to paste the code below into your footer and then change the message in that new function to whatever you want it to be.

For those that want to know, this is a copy of the smugmug rightProtect function that's in your page. We give it a different name here and assign this function to the context menu instead of the default one. You can then put whatever message in it you want.

Note: this "fix" could break if smugmug changes the way they implement right-click protection in the future.
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function rightProtect2(e) {
    	if (window.event) {
    		var srcEl = event.srcElement ? event.srcElement : event.target;
    	}
    	else {
    		var srcEl = e.srcElement ? e.srcElement : e.target;
    	}
    	var className = srcEl.className;
    	if (className.indexOf('protected') != -1) {
    		window.alert("Don't touch my photos without paying me. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited.");
    		return false;
    	}
    	else {
    		return true;
    	}
    }
    // set my right click function, but only set my
    // right click protection if it was already in force
    if (document.oncontextmenu == rightProtect) {
    	document.oncontextmenu = rightProtect2;
    }
    </script>

--John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Feature request for smugmug
    jfriend wrote:
    Actually, you can change this message for your own pages using JavaScript. To do this, you just have to paste the code below into your footer and then change the message in that new function to whatever you want it to be.

For those that want to know, this is a copy of the smugmug rightProtect function that's in your page. We give it a different name here and assign this function to the context menu instead of the default one. You can then put whatever message in it you want.

Note: this "fix" could break if smugmug changes the way they implement right-click protection in the future.
    As a feature request for smugmug, if the right-click message was assigned to a global variable and used from there, it would be a whole lot easier for the user to change it.

For example, if the message declared as such:

var rightClickUserMsg = "These photos are copyrighted by their respective owners. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited."

and then referenced wherever it's used in smugmug's JavaScript with:

window.alert(rightClickUserMsg);

it would then be really easy to customize this message in your own footer with:

rightClickUserMsg = "These photos are copyrighted by John Friend. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited."
    </script>
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    jfriend wrote:

if (window.event) {
    	}
    	else {
    	}
    		window.alert("Don't touch my photos without paying me. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited.");
    		return false;
    	}
    	else {
    		return true;
    	}
    }
    if (document.oncontextmenu == rightProtect) {
    }
    </script>

Hi John, thanks for the contribution. I tried it on one of my sites - it wouldn't work... is there something else that needs to be done?
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Hmm. Works for me
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John, thanks for the contribution. I tried it on one of my sites - it wouldn't work... is there something else that needs to be done?
    Hmmm. Works for me. You can see it in action in this gallery for the next few hours. What the link to your gallery where it doesn't work?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    Hmmm. Works for me. You can see it in action in this gallery for the next few hours. What the link to your gallery where it doesn't work?

linky
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    I can't find where you put the Javascript
    Andy wrote:
    One of us is confused because when I look at that gallery in your linky, I don't see where you've put the JavaScript anywhere in the page (my recommendation was to put it in the footer). Did you put it somewhere else or is it not currently in the page?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    One of us is confused because when I look at that gallery in your linky, I don't see where you've put the JavaScript anywhere in the page (my recommendation was to put it in the footer). Did you put it somewhere else or is it not currently in the page?

It's in the footer.... and still not woikin' ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Don't see the JavaScript
    Andy wrote:
    It's in the footer.... and still not woikin' ne_nau.gif
    I am totally confused. When I go to http://andydemo.smugmug.com/gallery/905518, I cannot find the JavaScript we're talking about in your footer. I can't find it anywhere in the page.

Do you see it work on the link I gave you? You should see a message that starts out "Don't touch my photos without paying me." (meant as a joke for this test, not something I'd actually use).

Incidentally, here's a slightly cleaner version of the script that doesn't cause a JavaScript error on galleries with no right-click protection:
    	if (window.event) {
    	}
    	else {
    	}
    		return false;
    	}
    	else {
    		return true;
    	}
    }
    if (rightProtect && (document.oncontextmenu == rightProtect)) {
    }
    </script>

--John
    HomepagePopular
This discussion has been closed.