Options

Smugmug bugs and feature requests #7

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    andy wrote:
    .... kept getting sent back to the credit card screen, endless loop. i was trying to use a new credit card, not the one on file with smugmug on my account.

also, i just did a print run of around 300 4x6s. it was very very time consuming, i had to keep waiting for all the thumbs to load etc. is there a way to speed that up?

a

Andy, the thumbnail problem is easily solved. Internet Explorer is roughly 5 years old, and it's got all sorts of bugs Microsoft doesn't feel like they have to fix (they're a monopoly, afterall). I really wish there was some way we could fix it, or get Microsoft to do so, but we can't. So...

If you install and use Firefox instead, not only will smugmug look better, load faster, and provide a super-fast shopping cart, but your computer will be much more secure. Just look at all the Internet Explorer security issues in the last few months...

Don
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    andy wrote:
    .... kept getting sent back to the credit card screen, endless loop. i was trying to use a new credit card, not the one on file with smugmug on my account.
    I was also using a new card instead of my stored one. Hope this helps.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2004
    A few more comments:
    - I was taken back to the galleries after page one of the "bulk add" page, instead of proceeding through the check out process. I would think that the default would be to continue the checkout process.

-It was very time consuming to pick a few glossy prints along with my many matte prints. I had to pick the paper type individually for each print, even though I only had a few glossy pics.(Did I miss something??) This is a real pain in the *ss when you have alot of images. The apply to all images button didn't seem to work for this unless I am missing something. This button is somewhat of a mystery to me as to what it does. I haven't spent alot of time with it, but it is not intuitive. Also, the default is for glossy, are they more popular than matte?

- Overall, I think a more streamlined approach, with extra choices ( ie color correction) as a link that sends the buyer to a more detailed page. In other words , it should be really easy to order 100 matte 4x6's with no cropping and no color correction.

Just some initial thoughts for now.... BTW I love smugmug & dgrin and really appreciate the level of communication you guys provide. Keep up the good work.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    Hi Don,

I d/l fire fox, and I like it. However, in order to bulk u/l, I have to get the java plugin... the latest from Sun... that link is no good. Will you place a direct link for the plug-in on DG, please?

Thank you,

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    Thank you,

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 17, 2004
    scrooks wrote:
    If you want to make prints for yourself without giving yourself a profit, then what you are wanting has been asked for before as, "How about fixing it so that prints are at cost if we're signed in as the site owner?"
    Okay, one small step for mankind... This should be working now.

One unanticipated outcome is some pros get a shock when they conclude that their prints are being sold at cost and their custom pricing is not taking effect. Actually, the custom pricing is showing up for everyone else as normal, just not them when they're logged in. They can check it by logging out.

We need to figure out a way to tell them this to prevent future heart attacks. :yikes:yikes:yikes
  • Options
    jbeejbee Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2004
    Don't mess with my colors! I work hard to set them on my prosite. In fact, I'd like to turn off that damned color correction....it just gives my customers another way to mess up.:D
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2004
    ? christmas cards for christmas?
    Oh Bald one, any word on smugmug christmas cards? I'm already getting requests to shoot some christmas card pictures. There will be christmas decorations up in stores before you know it:D .

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 29, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Oh Bald one, any word on smugmug christmas cards? I'm already getting requests to shoot some christmas card pictures. There will be christmas decorations up in stores before you know it:D .
    JT just began working on them yesterday. We're hoping it's perhaps a 2-week project for him but we really don't know until he gets into it more. The issue is we need a way to specify fonts, placement, etc.

More when we know more.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    EXIF 'Date Taken' field:
    Baldy wrote:
    EXIF... Long story short, we think we'll have to use and display two date fields because some camera manufacturers use "date last modified." Ugh. So does Photoshop (it should), which blows away the date taken for some cameras. Deal with it. :cry
    My pictures' EXIF's 'Date Taken' fields always show the modified date on my SmugMug galleries (i use a D70, Photoshop and Nikon Capture 4.1.x). However, Windows' properties on a JPEG shows the 'Date Taken' field correctly (running WindowsXP).

Is there a way to show it correctly on SmugMug as well? Is it possible to show all the EXIF data from a image file (JPEG)?

Thank you very much.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    Comments
    I would love to see comments below a picture not be a link.

If someone clicks on the picture or follows a link to the picture..the comments should just show below the picture without needing another click.

MainFragger
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2004
    Order buttons
    Hi Chris,

Would it be too much trouble to have the order buttons directly under each image? It now displays the image size, and the option to chance it from med to large (eliminate that all together with orig, and lg turned off.) http://manevideo.smugmug.com/gallery/124050/1/9816456/Large

Thank you,

Erik Olsen
    Thank you,

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    I don't know if I set something wrong, but it would be nice to be able to change the view style, when logged in, even when the gallery is set to only display via a certain style.

Why?

I made a page of emoticons and set the controlled view as thumbnails. By doing this I cannot access the photo tools without going to customize gallery and changing the view. The reason is the size of the majority of the emoticons are smaller than a regular thumbnail and it will not move to the view page where you can access the photo tools, mainly the ability to delete. So being able to override the customized view quickly while logged in would be an easy work around.

Let me know if this does not make sense or if it is easy to implement. It is not a big deal for me, but I could see how users could get frustrated if they did not know where to look if they were in a similar situation and wanted to bring it to your attention.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2004
    I would like to request that multiple mailing addresses be saved in the checkout process in addition to the default mailing address. Ofoto has this feature. You can checkbox the mailing address that you want to use. There is also an edit feature for each address. This would be very helpful to me and my clients that want to repeatedly mail picture to friends and family members. This might increase smugmug sales numbers as well.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    Batch color correct?
    Hello,

I love the batch watermark add/remove features as well as the batch remove. It would seem quite easy to implement batch color correct, would it not?

Thank you,

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    Thank you,

• Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    For those who watch this thread and have not seen Don's announcement: color bulk tools are up along w/ pro pricing tools.
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    Hello,

I love the batch watermark add/remove features as well as the batch remove. It would seem quite easy to implement batch color correct, would it not?

Thank you,

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
  • Options
    arthousephotographyarthousephotography Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    "PROOF"
    I would love to be able to put my own text on instead of "proof" In a perfect world I would like to be able to put "copyright Art House Photography 2004" and select the size and position of the overprint. Thus if people download the picture they get a copyright notice, but if they order from the site they get an unblemished picture. If it is impossible to do all the variables above then choice of either across the centre in large and in one of four corners in small font would be ok.
    Heres hoping....
  • Options
    jordonringeljordonringel Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2004
    Event Titles!!!!
    I think smugmug needs to have the option to put event titles/dates on their pics. For Frat & Sorority functions, high school dances/prom/parties, etc. All it takes is a simple overlay of text on the photo. It would be so easy for smugmug to add the same title to every picture in the desired folder. Also, give the buyer the option of title/no title at checkout(Just as they have the opton of style and size). I am in college right now and have been to many of these events and check out the photographer's websites and this is the one thing I notcie that smugmug lacks. I am actually thinking of starting my own little photo business to rival these frat/sorority functions but I really think the customers like the option of having the title on their pics. It looks a lot more professional too. This is one thing I think the professional accounts have to have.
  • Options
    nadinadi Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    sorting....
    I'd like to be able to set my galleries to automatically sort the photos as I add them. I like to keep my photos with the most recent first, and it gets to be a pain to sort them every time I add new images. The order of the galleries can be automatically set this way, why not individual photos too?
    The careful man tries to dodge the bullets.... while the happy man takes a walk.
    Mark Oliver Everett
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Disappearing tags: is this a DGRIN bug, or is it just me?
    Whenever I try to post some message with HTML/XML-like code samples here at DGrin, all the tags disappear upon post UNLESS I surround then with PHP marks. I also tried CODE and QUOTE, in combinations and separately - nothing works, except PHP marks. And even then, if I edit the message (or try to preview it first and then save) - they would disappear anyway...:cry

Is this me doing something incredibly stupid (or not doing something incredibly simple), or is this actually - omg!;-) - A BUG??ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    While I like the ability to make galleries private, I would like to have the thumb on the main page visible. We all have different reasons for making our galleries private, but for me and I'm sure many others, I just don't want a lot of prying/downloading eyes on my family. But the little shot on the main page that makes the entire page more inviting and useable...that's great.

How about the option of leaving the thumb on the main page for private galleries?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    I would second that
    DavidTO wrote:
    How about the option of leaving the thumb on the main page for private galleries?
    .. but only with once correction:
    thumb will show up if I manually select the "feature photo".
    If none is selected, none should be shown.

Just my $.02
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JBAJBA Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Feature request: Disable protections while logged in
    I very freequently visit the site from friend's computers, and my work computer. Sometimes I want to be able to log in, and save a picture, or download an original from my own account. Would it be possible to disable all blocking features while logged in to your own account? It would just be very handy for me.

~JBA~
  • Options
    ChristianChristian Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    New Search Options?
    I'm new to SmugMug and I'd like to say I love it! But I do have one wish / suggestion, and a possible bug.
    First the Wish:
    I have a large variety of pictures with both friends and family, and I love the keyword options to keep track of individuals. I think it would also be nice to be able to do a keyword search. So that searching for "Dad Grandma" would return every picture than has both the keywords "Dad" and "Grandma" included in them.
    Second the Bug / User Ignorance:
    I've tried uploading a video that was just under the max size for videos. The upload tool gave no errors or complaints for the upload but the video was never posted to my galary. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Christian wrote:
    Second the Bug / User Ignorance:
    I've tried uploading a video that was just under the max size for videos. The upload tool gave no errors or complaints for the upload but the video was never posted to my galary. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
    I've finaly found my video but it wasn't in a specfic gallery, I found it through the keywords. But the keywords tools don't allow me to move it to any of my existing galleries. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Christian wrote:
    I've finaly found my video but it wasn't in a specfic gallery, I found it through the keywords. But the keywords tools don't allow me to move it to any of my existing galleries. Any ideas?

Can you provide a link to the keyword you found it under? Or at the very least, a link to your smugmug account? :)

I'll take a look.

Don
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Can you provide a link to the keyword you found it under? Or at the very least, a link to your smugmug account? :)

I'll take a look.

Don
    Sure, one of the clips are already in a "Video" gallery and the other is "supposed to be" in a "Labor Day" gallery but doesn't show. What's interesting is that if I use firefox to look at it I can sometime get to the move picture option and it will take me to the "Labor Day" gallery photos but the mpg isn't listed, or seen in the gallery itself.
    http://cnelsen.smugmug.com/keyword/movie/1/13750763/Medium
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Can you take a look at this thread on advrider, at least three users seem to be having odd log in problems and general problems. I tried to help and direct them to post here, but they are happy over there, just wanted to point it out to you.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Christian wrote:
    Sure, one of the clips are already in a "Video" gallery and the other is "supposed to be" in a "Labor Day" gallery but doesn't show. What's interesting is that if I use firefox to look at it I can sometime get to the move picture option and it will take me to the "Labor Day" gallery photos but the mpg isn't listed, or seen in the gallery itself.
    http://cnelsen.smugmug.com/keyword/movie/1/13750763/Medium

Ahh, yeah, this is a known issue.

Videos don't have "Date Taken" information, and you have that gallery set to use "Date Taken (if available)", which means it freaks out and doesn't know what to do with videos.

We're working on a fix, but for now, if you change it to be "Position" or one of the other settings, your video should come back up.

Don
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Ahh, yeah, this is a known issue.

Videos don't have "Date Taken" information, and you have that gallery set to use "Date Taken (if available)", which means it freaks out and doesn't know what to do with videos.

We're working on a fix, but for now, if you change it to be "Position" or one of the other settings, your video should come back up.

Don
    Great! Thank you for the tip, that explains a lot.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2005
    Image ID Search
    I would love to be able to search my photos by image ID#... Will it, or is it at all possible?
    Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.