Options

Smugmug bugs and feature requests #7

Comments

• Options
    chmosschmoss Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Add EXIF-like information where it is missing
    Hi,
    I often scan film -- and as a result, no technical details normally contained in EXIF (like Camera, Lens, etc) exist in the JPG.
    I would like to be able to add this information to smugmug in such a way as to have it display just like EXIF data does.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    chmoss wrote:
    Hi,
    I often scan film -- and as a result, no technical details normally contained in EXIF (like Camera, Lens, etc) exist in the JPG.
    I would like to be able to add this information to smugmug in such a way as to have it display just like EXIF data does.
    If you have Photoshop you can add some info under file info. Maybe then smugmug could default to that info if the exif is blank. Just an idea.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    chmosschmoss Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    bham wrote:
    If you have Photoshop you can add some info under file info. Maybe then smugmug could default to that info if the exif is blank. Just an idea.
    Photoshop File Info can read and write IPTC data, and only display EXIF data. JPG EXIF data cannot be updated in Photoshop AFAIK.

pbase has the desired behavior in this area.
  • Options
    like-picslike-pics Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi Sebastian,

Many thanks for taking the time to write these up. I'm going to respond to your second post now and do some more thinking about the first one, and return to it later.

Perhaps we can consider a global option to keep your smugmug pages out of the browse and search options. That way someone would have to know your nickname and type it in (or you'd have to send them a link) to find your list of galleries and bio.

To be 100% honest, I'm only aware of hearing a request like this from two other customers. I can imagine others who want it and haven't spoken up about it, because we have some customers with all private or password-protected galleries.

I only mention the few requests not because it doesn't sound like a good idea, but only because we're still in the situation where we're trying to prioritize according to the things we hear about from the most people. I didn't want to sound enthusiastic about your idea but then give false hope about when we would start work on it.

Thanks,
    Baldy

I would absolutely love to have this feature. I want to use smugmug to share the pictures with my family and friends, and only my family and friends, but I would rather not have all of my galleries password protected. I really, really don't want my pictures to show up as a gallery that everyone in the world can easily find or is browseable and searchable in smugmug. I would love an easy way to do that as the default for all galleries under my account.
  • Options
    ButterflySisButterflySis Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Referral Links
    Create individual referral links for each SM user to make it easier for us to promote SM and get referrals.

Thanks for considering.

Jen
  • Options
    lemketronlemketron Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Create individual referral links for each SM user to make it easier for us to promote SM and get referrals.
    Already done. See this help page where it says to simply use http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=<yourRefCode&gt; (without the <>).
  • Options
    ButterflySisButterflySis Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Thanks!
    lemketron wrote:
    Already done. See this help page where it says to simply use http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=<yourRefCode&gt; (without the <>).
    Thanks! I didn't even see that.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Small feature request on zoom thumbnail
    I was using the zoom thumbnail feature on one of my galleries. I found that what I often wanted was a zoom ratio setting for "original ratio". In other words, I wanted to zoom, but just maintain the current ratio. As it is now, I have to know or guess what my current ratio is and pick it. Also, if the image is portrait orientation, I not only have to guess my current ratio, I also have to rotate my choice. If you are doing this on a whole gallery of photos, this is a lot of manual steps just to maintain the current ratio. I'd also like to see the current ratio be automatically selected as the default.

Other than that, the zoom thumbnail feature is pretty neat and very useful for certain types of photos.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Good suggestion, look for it soon.
    jfriend wrote:
    I was using the zoom thumbnail feature on one of my galleries. I found that what I often wanted was a zoom ratio setting for "original ratio". In other words, I wanted to zoom, but just maintain the current ratio. As it is now, I have to know or guess what my current ratio is and pick it. Also, if the image is portrait orientation, I not only have to guess my current ratio, I also have to rotate my choice. If you are doing this on a whole gallery of photos, this is a lot of manual steps just to maintain the current ratio. I'd also like to see the current ratio be automatically selected as the default.

Other than that, the zoom thumbnail feature is pretty neat and very useful for certain types of photos.

--John
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Cool thanks.
    Cool thanks.
    {JT} wrote:
    Good suggestion, look for it soon.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    Layout bug
    While experimenting with the journal layout on one of my galleries, I saw some sort of HTML layout bug. You can see what I saw on screen here: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/photos/17218430-O.jpg. I could not reproduce this problem again once I had closed that window and left the gallery. I'm running FireFox 1.01. I don't know whether it's a Firefox problem or a smugmug problem.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    lemketron wrote:
    Also, category listings show how many galleries and images are in each sub-category. However, sub-category listings only show the name of each gallery and last mod date - not how many images the gallery contains. Could you add that? I think it would be useful in general, but it would also make it a lot easier to figure out which (recently created) galleries are still empty (and in need of uploading) and which ones have been populated. [It would also be great to see the number of images in the uploader's gallery picker.]
    I reinforce this request. It's the only easy way to check if I missed a day in my daily photo galleries! :D
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    brodickbrodick Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2005
    Gallery numbers
    ne_nau.gif
    Am I right in thinking that if I set a gallery as a featured gallery, then the number of photos in that gallery are not included in the figures shown on the categories. Hope that makes some sense. I have suddenly noticed that one of my categories was showing 2 galleries and 0 photos, and it so happens that both of these galleries are featured.
    If you click into the category, both galleries are there and you can open them to view the photos. A small point, but a bit confusing for a poor old sole like me.
  • Options
    etieti Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2005
    hey i'm not sure where i should post this - i made an OP about it. anyway: the category listings are broken, albums created after the 15th of this month are not shown at all...
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    I guess I'm too lazy to read through all 11 pages of this thread, so I'll enter a feature request at the risk that it's already been mentioned.

I've spent quite a bit of time selecting pictures to upload and thinking up good captions for them. I'd be willing to spend some $$ for a CD or DVD of my galleries just as they appear on my Smugmug page, with captions, etc.

The backup CD you currrently offer is helpful, but I want a little more...

Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    I guess I'm too lazy to read through all 11 pages of this thread, so I'll enter a feature request at the risk that it's already been mentioned.

I've spent quite a bit of time selecting pictures to upload and thinking up good captions for them. I'd be willing to spend some $$ for a CD or DVD of my galleries just as they appear on my Smugmug page, with captions, etc.

The backup CD you currrently offer is helpful, but I want a little more...

Thanks for listening.
    Do you mean that you want all of the HTML web pages, etc.? For that, I would just use an offline web page viewer. You can set them up to hit a specific web page, follow all of the links, and download and save all of the pages and images it finds. There are a lot of these applications out there, some are free.

If you just want to export a text file of image data including the caption for each image, you can try Smugmug Exporter, a free web application I created. The link is in my signature below.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2005
    Do you mean that you want all of the HTML web pages, etc.? For that, I would just use an offline web page viewer. You can set them up to hit a specific web page, follow all of the links, and download and save all of the pages and images it finds. There are a lot of these applications out there, some are free.
    Thanks. Apparently Internet Explorer 6.0 under Windows XP will do this too. I'll try it late tonight.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    Thanks. Apparently Internet Explorer 6.0 under Windows XP will do this too. I'll try it late tonight.
    I tried it. It doesn't work.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    freeware offline browsers
    jthomas,
    Here is a list of freeware offline browsers. I haven't tried them, but maybe it helps you.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    jthomas,
    Here is a list of freeware offline browsers. I haven't tried them, but maybe it helps you.

Sebastian
    Thanks. I had already found most of those, and many are actually not free anymore or had some other objectionable feature. I did find one on this list I hadn't seen that looks interesting. I'll give it a try tonight and report.

Again, many thanks for the help!:):
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    It worked.
    jthomas wrote:
    Thanks. I had already found most of those, and many are actually not free anymore or had some other objectionable feature. I did find one on this list I hadn't seen that looks interesting. I'll give it a try tonight and report.
    I tried "Getleft v1.1.2". It appears to have worked o.k., and the price was sure right. Only complaint was that it is very slow. Took nearly 12 hours to download my entire Smugmug site.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    I tried "Getleft v1.1.2". It appears to have worked o.k., and the price was sure right. Only complaint was that it is very slow. Took nearly 12 hours to download my entire Smugmug site.
    Great to hear. Yeah, you can't be freeware in price. rolleyes1.gif
    How big is the downloaded folder on your harddrive and whats your connection speed?
    Maybe the problem was that the program downloaded your original images. That could have happended if you didn't disabled this in every gallery and thus resulted in a much longer download time.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    I have a suggestion regarding the manner in which suggestions, requests, and bugs are made. It seems as though many legitimate questions slip between the cracks on this forum. Support seems to be hit-or-miss. When it's a hit, it's always a home-run, but it often takes a lot of tries and a lot of patience. I don't mind waiting, but sometimes I feel as though if I don't bring a thread up from the bottom half of the first page, it will get lost forever.

Everyone at smugmug is so pationate about making their service the absolute best, and it shows. I sent an email with some of the forgotten threads, and received a response literally in seconds. Incredible.

So, you guys are more than capable of providing absolutely top-notch service. I just think that the options need to be spelled out more clearly to the customer.

On a related note, when all suggestions or bug reports are put into one thread on a forum, it makes it nearly impossible to browse without reading all 11+ pages. I think that if you are going to use a user forum for support, you will have to be extremely diligent about reading every post.

Thanks for listening to me vent a little frustration.
    -Winn
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Great to hear. Yeah, you can't be freeware in price. rolleyes1.gif
    How big is the downloaded folder on your harddrive and whats your connection speed?
    Maybe the problem was that the program downloaded your original images. That could have happended if you didn't disabled this in every gallery and thus resulted in a much longer download time.

Sebastian
    The folder is about 870MB. I have a cable modem, which is pretty fast - I don't know what the actual download speed is.

It only downloaded the S,M,L and TI versions of each picture - but that's a lot of files!
  • Options
    ericserics Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2005
    Suggestions
    Just started using smugmug and I really like it so far. I also like the very involved user community.

I am a very amateur photorapher and the main things I use smugmug for:

1. Backup my full res pictures offsite
    2. Share my pics with friends and allow them to download full res copies/make prints.

Here are my suggestions (sent some of these over to help, but also thought I would put them out for the community to see if any were useful for anyone else):

1. Have an option to display only pictures with comments when viewing a gallery in all modes except slideshow. The reason for this is that I will put a caption on my pictures and when my friends make comments, I would like to be able to see all the commented pictures at one time.

2. Be able to select the default view for each gallery for basic users (I like the Journal view as indicated below).

3. Be able to upload movies for basic users.

I think 2 and 3 are available for the step-up accounts, but I will never use (probably) more than the bandwidth for a basic account, so these features would be pretty nice on a basic.

My favorite view is the journal view, and here are some things I think can make it better for casual use with family/friends.

1. Make the number of pictures displayed per journal page selectable (high speed connection might want to view 20+ photos per page).

2. Under each photo, have a small 'Comment on this photo' link that pops a comment window with a tiny thumbnail over the journal page, gets the comment, and closes, without moving/doing anything to the journal page you are viewing.

3. Allow the display of comments in the journal box next to each photo, up to the size of the journal box, with a link to see any additional comments if they exist. For example, I uploaded the pics from a recent Florida trip. I entered captions on some of the photos that took up less than 10% of each journal box - if the remaining journal box was used to display my friends comments, it would make the photo viewing experience much more interective.

I think with the combination of the 3 suggestions to the journal view, plus the option to only view commented photos, the journal view would be a blast when sharing photos with family and friends (alot of my friends are funny/smart asses, and their comments would be very helpful in my galleries). I think the current way of viewing galleries/adding comments doesn't encourage a high enough level of interection.

Finally, since my camera's red-eye reduction is annoying, I don't really use it, and the software with the camera is terrible for red-eye reduction - how about red-eye reduction when physical prints are made.

Great photo sharing site - keep up the good work.

E
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    erics wrote:
    1. Have an option to display only pictures with comments when viewing a gallery in all modes except slideshow.

2. Be able to select the default view for each gallery for basic users (I like the Journal view as indicated below).

My favorite view is the journal view, and here are some things I think can make it better for casual use with family/friends.

1. Make the number of pictures displayed per journal page selectable (high speed connection might want to view 20+ photos per page).

2. Under each photo, have a small 'Comment on this photo' link that pops a comment window with a tiny thumbnail over the journal page, gets the comment, and closes, without moving/doing anything to the journal page you are viewing.

3. Allow the display of comments in the journal box next to each photo, up to the size of the journal box, with a link to see any additional comments if they exist.
    Eric,
    great suggestions, I second those quoted and would like to have those, too. thumb.gif
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 30, 2005
    Hi Eric,

Great suggestions and many thanks for taking the time to write them.

A few are on our list of things to do.

But I'm afraid we have to let you down as gently as possible on the video clips for standard users. Video is too expensive for us for more reasons than bandwidth, a primary one being customer support. Video formats and media players are a pain in the buttsky, especially when we end up accepting them from so many different sources.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    ericserics Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2005
    Thanks for the quick reply
    No problem on the video - figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I use a pentax s5i and it only takes grainy 15 fps videos which are sometimes amusing but most often useless. Just thought it would be fun to share a few.

I'm most interested in changes to the journal view, to give it more of a blog with responses feel.

E

Baldy wrote:
    Hi Eric,

Great suggestions and many thanks for taking the time to write them.

A few are on our list of things to do.

But I'm afraid we have to let you down as gently as possible on the video clips for standard users. Video is too expensive for us for more reasons than bandwidth, a primary one being customer support. Video formats and media players are a pain in the buttsky, especially when we end up accepting them from so many different sources.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    Oh yohoo... programmer guys... :poke

I recently created a new Smugmug photo community called "DPChallenge". On the settings page for this community there are radio buttons to let you specify whether or not to use my own cobranding look&feel. The buttons are Yes and No. When I select No, anyone viewing the community still sees my cobranding stuff (header, footer, etc..) When I select Yes, it's the same, but when I go back to the settings page the button has changed back to No.

I looked at several of the other photo communities, and none of them display any special cobranding. What's up with my community? Is my cobranding stuff just too powerful? :confused
  • Options
    arthousephotographyarthousephotography Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Communities
    When you hover over a community it would be nice to be able to see a few lines summarising the objective of the community. I am sure this would be a pretty easy thing to programme.... please.
This discussion has been closed.