Canon 7D

Comments

• travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Always fill out the registration cards. The first time you complete one, you setup a Canon account which lists all your registered gear. Periodically during the year, Canon will send emails with product updates etc. Most importantly, I find this most useful when you add gear to your homeowner's insurance policy. Not to mention each time you register a new product, canon gives you a 15% discount on any accessories...
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Mine arrives tomorrow:ivar wings.gif :ivar wings.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Mine arrives tomorrow:ivar wings.gif :ivar wings.gif
    Congrats, and welcome to the club! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Indoor soccer shots were delayed by my flight being delayed yesterday. Missed connection in Minneapolis means I spent 10 extra hours there, 5 of them at the Mall of America :D , but got home at midnight and missed the soccer game. The next game is two weeks from now. Hopefully I can get some test shots/comparisons then.

ann
  • waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    7D test shots
    I thought others might be interested in some pics I took last night.

I just got my 7D yesterday and was excited to be able to take it to my son's soccer game. I quickly became dissapointed however, when I realized it was a night game and it was already very dark and raining. When I left the house, I was planning on leaving the camera at home and at the last minute, threw it under my jacket and headed out.

I'm glad I did because I was pleasantly surprised when I got home and looked at the photos. I know I would not have gotten these photos with my XSi.

Being just a Dad/Hobbyist, I'm not a well prepared sports shooter but instead try to make due with what I have. My best lens is a 70-200 f/4 non-IS. That's the lens I put on the 7D. I was shooting from across the track and several rows up into the stands. I had to shoot down, into the lighted field to get any shutter speed at all.

The first 5 pics are at ISO 3200. I started to crop them but after doing 1, I decided to leave the rest alone.

The last 2 pics, I bumped up the ISO to 6400 to try and increase my shutter speed.

#1 - 3200. 1/320
    680740956_SwQE3-M.jpg

#2 3200. 1/160
    680740125_hTyED-M.jpg

#3 3200. 1/200
    680742756_ZH4WM-M.jpg

#4 3200. 1/200
    680744523_BhWdk-M.jpg

#5 3200. 1/200
    680746314_P5Xd9-M.jpg

#6 6400. 1/250
    680748739_zbtx3-M.jpg

#7 6400. 1/250
    680750943_4NkEJ-M.jpg

I made no adjustments to the photos at all. Just took them to see what the camera could do. As I said, I was pleasantly surprised and I'm looking forward to seeing how the camera can help me in basketball and baseball this year.

Wayne G
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,064 moderator
    edited October 14, 2009
    Wayne, those are indeed "very" encouraging.

How did you find the AF? Did you have many images where the AF could not keep up? What were your AF settings?

Thanks,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Wayne, those are indeed "very" encouraging.

How did you find the AF? Did you have many images where the AF could not keep up? What were your AF settings?

Thanks,

Actually, I thought I blew the focus. When I started shooting, I forgot about it. With my XSi I usually just use the center point and AI Servo.

I shot several shots with the 7D with the default zones and 1 shot setting. I figured none of them would turn out. After about 50 shots (IIRC) I realized I'd forgotten it and selected just the center point and went back and forth between AI Servo and AI Focus. It seemed to be very fast and I don't remember it 'hunting' at all. The center point dot seemed to claim the target immediately. When I looked at the photos last night, many of the default focus shots were fine but I think it got better when I dialed it in a bit.

My thoughts at the time were that it sure felt good while shooting but if it's like my XSi, many of the shots will have focused on some other unintended target (like the kids behind my target) and again I expected to have wasted my time. Not the case though. clap.gif I actually got shots I could use that I know I would not have gotten previously. This camera is definitely in another league from the XSi.

I did have many OOF shots but I think a lot of that was due to the fact I was typically shooting at 1/200 shutter speed.

Can't wait to try out the video. That's the main reason I didn't go with the 50D some time ago. I was waiting for a bigger/better package at a nice price point. So glad I did! thumb.gif

Wayne G
    edited October 14, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:

I shot several shots with the 7D with the default zones and 1 shot setting. I figured none of them would turn out. After about 50 shots (IIRC) I realized I'd forgotten it and selected just the center point and went back and forth between AI Servo and AI Focus. It seemed to be very fast and I don't remember it 'hunting' at all. The center point dot seemed to claim the target immediately. When I looked at the photos last night, many of the default focus shots were fine but I think it got better when I dialed it in a bit.

Wayne G

Fantastic. Thanks again,
    ziggy53
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Wayne, they are certainly impressive under the circumstances. In the 3200 shots, clarity, color, overall vividness are easily winning against any noise. Getting the AF to give you what you want is the biggest challenge I have with my 40D, though the weakness is almost always totally in me rather than the camera. Your experience is a powerful argument for the effectiveness of the AF system in the 7D, without you really trying. Thanks.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited October 14, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Wayne, they are certainly impressive under the circumstances. In the 3200 shots, clarity, color, overall vividness are easily winning against any noise. Getting the AF to give you what you want is the biggest challenge I have with my 40D, though the weakness is almost always totally in me rather than the camera. Your experience is a powerful argument for the effectiveness of the AF system in the 7D, without you really trying. Thanks.

Neil

I agree...the weakness is me but I think the 7D will help make up for 'me' quite a bit.

Another thing that seemed to really help me get on my target and stay there was the fact that the center point is a box, rather than a 'dot' as it is on the XSi. It was much easier to keep the player in the box as opposed to keeping the smaller dot on the midsection of a player.

On a side note, when I took off for the game, I had not had a chance to look at the manual at all. When it came time to change/select my focus points, it didn't work. Luckily, I rememberd the conversation between Nikolai and DivaMum regarding the use of the M-Fn button. Came in very handy. Thanks!

Wayne G
    edited October 14, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:

On a side note, when I took off for the game, I had not had a chance to look at the manual at all. When it came time to change/select my focus points, it didn't work. Luckily, I rememberd the conversation between Nikolai and DivaMum regarding the use of the M-Fn button. Came in very handy. Thanks!

Wayne G

I kid you "Not", DGrinners are the "Best". thumb.gifclap.gifwings.gif
    ziggy53
    edited October 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I kid you "Not", DGrinners are the "Best". thumb.gifclap.gifwings.gif

Got mine today Ziggy, and knowing about that button in advance saved me a lot of time. My first impressions are: WOW, this is one excellent camera with loads of great features.clap.gif It is also feels hefty in a good way. More later.

Dan
    edited October 14, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Got mine today Ziggy, and knowing about that button in advance saved me a lot of time. My first impressions are: WOW, this is one excellent camera with loads of great features.clap.gif It is also feels hefty in a good way. More later.

Dan

Congratulations Dan. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:

Wayne G

Ha! I only wish I'd needed that knowledge for real instead of just mentioning it in light of my 4 minute encounter with the camera. Having now played with one IRL I WANT one!!! Not for a while, sadly.... :cry rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the soccer pix. Impressive performance for what sound like "grab shots". Between feeling how it lies in the hand, and seeing those real life examples I'm now 100% sold on this as a great next camera for me.

That clinking sound you hear is me putting pennies in the piggybank......
    edited October 14, 2009
    A few Shots at 1600
    I tried out the new 7D. These are untouched (just cropped) jpegs since RAW profiles are not yet available.

All were taken with 420 on board (300*1.4)

f/7.1

681202915_z6387-L.jpg

681202968_XiyKX-L.jpg

681293486_QAR6N-L.jpg

ISO 400
    681203049_M78nc-L.jpg

I tried all of the AF options and they all seemed to work well. Did not have an opportunity to shoot BIFs using servo yet.
  • jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Dan...welcome to the family, and congratulations!! :-)
    edited October 14, 2009
    Any suggestions on a UDMA CF card? I'm going to using my 7D for a ton of sports photography. I've read so many conflicting stories. Right now I'm considering the Lexar 16gb & 8gb UDMA 300x speed...
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    uncletrav wrote:
    Any suggestions on a UDMA CF card? I'm going to using my 7D for a ton of sports photography. I've read so many conflicting stories. Right now I'm considering the Lexar 16gb & 8gb UDMA 300x speed...

I have the Lexar 16GB card and no problems so far. I tend to stick with Lexar and Sandisk usually.
    edited October 14, 2009
    I have the Lexar 16GB card and no problems so far. I tend to stick with Lexar and Sandisk usually.

How is the buffer with continuous shooting? Buffer? Is there sufficient space with only the 16gb?
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Travis...by no means am I an expert on the subject but I feel like I (somewhat) pushed the limits last week having shot 2 days of golf with the 7D and filled 4x 8GB CF cards (Sandisk Extreme III) each day for a total of 64GB of RAW files.

The only time that I noticed any perceived slowness was when my shutter speed was slower (sub 1/200 sec)...which kind of made sense, it was the shutter speed that was the bottleneck and not the CF card. Since I was shooting in AV mode I needed to bump the ISO up from 100 here and there to get faster shutter speeds when in the shadows of the trees or when the fog rolled in.

I guess it comes down to a price performance issue...if the UDMA were as cheap as the ones I have then it would be a no brainer. I just don't think the gain is justified by the price??

Anyway my 2cents.

John
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Dan,

These are great shots. You said you "cropped" these. Did you mean re-sized?

Do you have full rez file online anywhere to have a look?

I love the first and second shots. So sharp and clean!

Thanx
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
    edited October 14, 2009
    John:

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I'll be spending more money than I originally intended! headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited October 14, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    Dan,

These are great shots. You said you "cropped" these. Did you mean re-sized?

Do you have full rez file online anywhere to have a look?

I love the first and second shots. So sharp and clean!

Thanx

Thanks viper

I cropped in Aperture and exported to Smugmug without resizing:

http://dlplumer.smugmug.com/Nature/Animals/Birds/5355601_Xyfbr#681202915_z6387
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks viper

I cropped in Aperture and exported to Smugmug without resizing:

http://dlplumer.smugmug.com/Nature/Animals/Birds/5355601_Xyfbr#681202915_z6387

For those that have this, Can you Autofocus in Video or is it all only manual?

I heard somewhere that it was only manual and no autofocus. That would be retarded I would think.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
    edited October 15, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    For those that have this, Can you Autofocus in Video or is it all only manual?

I heard somewhere that it was only manual and no autofocus. That would be retarded I would think.

Edit: The camera does auto focus but it is a 1 time process, before you press record. Not meant to keep up with a moving subject...

Page 156 of the manual, under the AF Mode section, states..."Note that continuous focusing of a moving subject is not possible."

Of course this is with autofocus only. You will have to manually focus a moving target and to make things a bit more difficult, you have to do it via the LCD screen.

There's no doubt it is different than what we are used to with our video cameras but I'm excited to work with it for many reasons:
    1) In the short videos I've shot so far, the quality seems better than my HD Sony camcorder. It looks so sharp.
    2) I will be shooting some pretty fast moving targets (ATVs) but at a distance for short clips and I don't think the focus will change that much. No doubt I will need to practice my technique but I'm excited about the possible results.
    3) I want to have the option to switch from photos to video easily and with 1 piece of equipment. For example, I was at a party last weekend where several middle aged adults got very much into the Rock Band game. I was snapping plenty of photos just wishing I could switch to a movie mode. The resulting movie/slideshow would have been great.

No doubt there are compromises. This is just another step into an evolution of gadgetry. It suits my needs right now so I'm happy to jump on the band wagon early.wings.gif

Wayne G
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    My 7D just arrived! I had no idea that a "watched" battery charger was so slow:D
    edited November 9, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    My 7D just arrived! I had no idea that a "watched" battery charger was so slow:D

Congratulations. Make sure you have the new 1.1 firmware installed. If not, it is on the Canon website.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Thanks for the heads upthumb.gif , but as soon as I saw you original message about the new firmware I downloaded to the "be ready"
    dlplumer wrote:
    Congratulations. Make sure you have the new 1.1 firmware installed. If not, it is on the Canon website.
  • FlyFisher70FlyFisher70 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I just got my 7D and charged the battery :ivar My 7D firmware is already version 1.1.0 mwink.gif Is it still necessary to update the firmware if my camera already has the 1.1.0 version? Sorry for the dumb question but it makes sense not to update it since my 7D already has it, right? Just want to be absolutely sure.

Thanks,
    Benny
    edited November 12, 2009
    I just got my 7D and charged the battery :ivar My 7D firmware is already version 1.1.0 mwink.gif Is it still necessary to update the firmware if my camera already has the 1.1.0 version? Sorry for the dumb question but it makes sense not to update it since my 7D already has it, right? Just want to be absolutely sure.

Thanks,
    Benny

No. You are all set