Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nice set John. Several to love. thumb.gif

bowdown.gif
  • jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Thanks guys...it was fun being able to shoot during the practice rounds, now I'm relegated to just being a spectator which was a blast today :-)
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:
    For you 7D dreamers (like me)...I stumbled upon this almost 12 minute video review of the 7D. The entire video shows the 7D in hand as it goes over its' features.

Just scroll down the page to the video window:
    http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/canon-eos-7d-review-sample-photos/

Wayne G

Great video! I just recieved my Best Buy Premier 12% off voucher and will get one next week. Sorry Amazon but you don't have 18-month 0% financing!!!!! Whooo hoooo!!!!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    uncletrav wrote:
    Great video! I just recieved my Best Buy Premier 12% off voucher and will get one next week. Sorry Amazon but you don't have 18-month 0% financing!!!!! Whooo hoooo!!!!

+1...excellent video overview. this pretty much put me over the edge. can't wait to get it!thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    lol, Clinton looks like he's taking a whiz.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    lol, Clinton looks like he's taking a whiz.

haha

now i cannot see that photo any other way!
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:
    For you 7D dreamers (like me)...I stumbled upon this almost 12 minute video review of the 7D. The entire video shows the 7D in hand as it goes over its' features.

Just scroll down the page to the video window:
    http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/canon-eos-7d-review-sample-photos/

Wayne G

I don't mean to start any flame wars (I shoot 3ish systems already and almost got a 5D mkII so no blind Canon bias) but that video is good to see the features just ignore the commentary. One thing he mentions as "a first for any DSLR" is the digital level which has been in Nikon and Olympus DSLR's for about a year now. It raised a lot of red flags in my head in his editorial comments in comparing the D300s/7D.

But back to the camera itself, as I mentioned before looking good and I am excited to try one out. thumb.gif
  • waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I don't mean to start any flame wars (I shoot 3ish systems already and almost got a 5D mkII so no blind Canon bias) but that video is good to see the features just ignore the commentary. One thing he mentions as "a first for any DSLR" is the digital level which has been in Nikon and Olympus DSLR's for about a year now. It raised a lot of red flags in my head in his editorial comments in comparing the D300s/7D.

But back to the camera itself, as I mentioned before looking good and I am excited to try one out. thumb.gif

I agree...the comentary did not quite seem objective. Not sure what that is all about, however...I've been wanting to see/feel a 7D and there aren't any around. This was the best thing I've seen which put it's size/feel in perspective for me.

Wayne G
    edited October 9, 2009
    I shot one today at Penn Camera in Tysons Corner, VA & it feels more rugged than the 40/50D. My ears captured the sweet sound of 8fps as I held the shutter. The Canon rep was there with all the new gear including the 100mm macro - nice lens if you're a macro shooter. 4 were delivered today with 3 customer deposits and I almost pulled the trigger on the last one but I really don't need the new 18-135 lens. Today definitely put me over the edge!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited October 11, 2009
    the sadness is now that i want to buy one, i can't get one yet! :cry i was hoping to get one before my next california trip (1.5 weeks away)...but they are just pre-orders everywhere i look. must be nice to be the early adopters in here...i'm jealous! bowdown.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Owned mine since Sept. 28 and am at shot #1867. So far, loving it!
    edited October 11, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:

sure...rub it in a bit more! lol :D
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    gecko0 wrote:
    the sadness is now that i want to buy one, i can't get one yet! :cry i was hoping to get one before my next california trip (1.5 weeks away)...but they are just pre-orders everywhere i look. must be nice to be the early adopters in here...i'm jealous! bowdown.gif

I notice BB has pushed their estimate back as far as when it will be available. I wonder if this is going to be one of the items so hot it is hard to find in stock for a while, till production can catch up.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    So does the AF and all the new developments of the 7D live up to the hype? ear.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    So does the AF and all the new developments of the 7D live up to the hype? ear.gif

I do think so, but I don't have any way to view or process my images ATM. When I get home, I think I have an awesome BIF sequence to share.

And tomorrow night I have an indoor soccer game to shoot, and for me that is the big test.

ann
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    After speaking with the pros on the shootout, I pulled the trigger on the 7D. Selling my 50D.
    edited October 12, 2009
    joshhuntnm:

Yes & No. I ordered one on BB's website a few days ago with an ETA of 2 weeks....HOWEVER, I visited BB in Gaithersburg, MD today and pulled the trigger on a 7D | 28-135 kit @ $1,899 (don't need the lens but I'll just give it to my wife along with my XSi)!!! Combined with my 12% Reward Zone coupon....$1,671 plus tax. There were a total of 10 in BB inventory in the DC area today.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited October 13, 2009
    ok...i hate you all...rolleyes1.gif

checked online a few times yesterday morning and a 7D kit briefly blipped as "available in store" at a best buy in a neighboring city...so i snagged it! thumb.gif

i do not typically buy things like this for full retail price with tax, etc, but figured it was my only chance to get it before my upcoming trip. oh well...it cost a few more bucks, but i'll have it when it matters now. :D

now to learn more about this thing...it's a "bit" more complex than my XSi! Laughing.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,064 moderator
    edited October 13, 2009
    gecko0 wrote:
    ok...i hate you all...rolleyes1.gif

checked online a few times yesterday morning and a 7D kit briefly blipped as "available in store" at a best buy in a neighboring city...so i snagged it! thumb.gif

Congratulations. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    edited October 13, 2009
    gecko0 wrote:

Yes this camera is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more complex than our XSi's!!!! I was a little overwhelmed when I opened mine last night and though to myself, "are you sure you're ready for this?" Then I remembered how the 8fps felt/sounded last week and I said to myself, "Hell Yea!!!!!"
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited October 13, 2009
    BTW I recieved this Canon Loyalty Program email last night (perfect timing!!!). For current EOS & Powershot registered users, you can take advantage of a mail-in rebate of $20 of select Powershots OR OR OR $50 on the purchase of select DSLR's (including the 7D). The program is good fon purchases rom October 12th through December 31st . Link below:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/emails/psoct09/?WT.mc_id=EM0910PS01004
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited October 13, 2009
    uncletrav wrote:
    BTW I recieved this Canon Loyalty Program email last night (perfect timing!!!). For current EOS & Powershot registered users, you can take advantage of a mail-in rebate of $20 of select Powershots OR OR OR $50 on the purchase of select DSLR's (including the 7D). The program is good fon purchases rom October 12th through December 31st . Link below:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/emails/psoct09/?WT.mc_id=EM0910PS01004

sweet...thanks! didn't know about this. :D:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,064 moderator
    edited October 13, 2009
    uncletrav wrote:
    joshhuntnm:

Yes & No. I ordered one on BB's website a few days ago with an ETA of 2 weeks....HOWEVER, I visited BB in Gaithersburg, MD today and pulled the trigger on a 7D | 28-135 kit @ $1,899 (don't need the lens but I'll just give it to my wife along with my XSi)!!! Combined with my 12% Reward Zone coupon....$1,671 plus tax. There were a total of 10 in BB inventory in the DC area today.

Congratulations to you too. clap.gif ... and congratulations to your wife (with the new lens.) thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Got my hands on one today.... not to buy (I wish!), but to handle and check out. Our local BB had one on display - I had to badger the poor assistant into getting the battery for it since the plug-in connection wasn't powering it properly, but she did and I had a few minutes to play around with it :ivar

First impressions: AWESOME. As I've written before, I've never liked the balance and weight on the xxD series (why I wound up with an xsi instead of a 40d). The 7d, like the 5dII, is empirically heavier and larger than the xxD's, but also like the 5dII, is IMO balanced better - dunno if it's battery placement, or overall design or what, but it didn't have that "brick" feeling I associate with the 50d and its buddies. What I don't like about the xxd's is that I fill like my hand can't curve around the grip properly, and as though the body is always pulling forward against my fingers; the 7/5 seem to have the balance further back and it just sits nicely against the heel of my hand. It's chunky and certainly heavier than the xsi, but in a good way. It felt really comfortable, and the contours of the grip matched my hand nicely.

This has been my biggest question about the new beast since the ergonomics affected my last decision so strongly, and I'm thrilled to feel it "live" and find out for myself that it WILL work for me, I think.

I was surprised that the viewfinder didn't seem that different to me; in fact, the 50d on display seemed brighter. Not sure if that was just an anomaly or what - and the 7d was running on 1-bar battery power - but fwiw.

It looks to be incredibly complicated to run, however! I couldn't even figure out how to move the AF points - the "usual" button brought up the screen dialog, but I couldn't get any of the controls to let me change the focus modes so I could play with it. I'm sure that's a RTFM job, however, so no fault of the camera :D It focused reeeallly quickly, however - no complaints there.

Shutter sound is really solid - definitely quieter, too, IMO.

In any case, just a brief hands-on from somebody who's been enviously following the camera for the last few weeks. I think my quest for a 135L may be put on hold (I have the 100 f2 - no, not quite the same magic, but a good lens in its own right) and my savings plan needs to be directed aggressively towards the Second Body Project. Here's hoping there may be some kind of incentives, sales, or coupons somewhere after Christmas (yeah, a vain hope on a popular and already short-supply model, but a girl can dream.... rolleyes1.gif)
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    It looks to be incredibly complicated to run, however! I couldn't even figure out how to move the AF points - the "usual" button brought up the screen dialog, but I couldn't get any of the controls to let me change the focus modes so I could play with it. I'm sure that's a RTFM job, however, so no fault of the camera :D It focused reeeallly quickly, however - no complaints there.
    You're not the first to stumble upon this. I couldn't figure it out also, until I realized the is a new little M-Fn button next to the shutter... It sill takes a minute to figure what you need to do, but once you're learn it, it's like a bicycle:-)
    BTW, the same button is present on the new BG-E7, so it's a nicely done setup. I hope Canon will push this M-Fn design through the rest of the lineup (as, I hope, the new power switch system).

And in case you didn't know the same button also triggers the dual-axis level *in the OVF*! Pretty ingenious system, I say. Naturally, if you have the camera on the tripod, the LCD-one is more convenient to use, but if you're shooting handheld - it's absolutely amazing!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Got my hands on one today.... not to buy (I wish!), but to handle and check out. Our local BB had one on display - I had to badger the poor assistant into getting the battery for it since the plug-in connection wasn't powering it properly, but she did and I had a few minutes to play around with it :ivar

First impressions: AWESOME. As I've written before, I've never liked the balance and weight on the xxD series (why I wound up with an xsi instead of a 40d). The 7d, like the 5dII, is empirically heavier and larger than the xxD's, but also like the 5dII, is IMO balanced better - dunno if it's battery placement, or overall design or what, but it didn't have that "brick" feeling I associate with the 50d and its buddies. What I don't like about the xxd's is that I fill like my hand can't curve around the grip properly, and as though the body is always pulling forward against my fingers; the 7/5 seem to have the balance further back and it just sits nicely against the heel of my hand. It's chunky and certainly heavier than the xsi, but in a good way. It felt really comfortable, and the contours of the grip matched my hand nicely.

This has been my biggest question about the new beast since the ergonomics affected my last decision so strongly, and I'm thrilled to feel it "live" and find out for myself that it WILL work for me, I think.

I was surprised that the viewfinder didn't seem that different to me; in fact, the 50d on display seemed brighter. Not sure if that was just an anomaly or what - and the 7d was running on 1-bar battery power - but fwiw.

Shutter sound is really solid - definitely quieter, too, IMO.

In any case, just a brief hands-on from somebody who's been enviously following the camera for the last few weeks. I think my quest for a 135L may be put on hold (I have the 100 f2 - no, not quite the same magic, but a good lens in its own right) and my savings plan needs to be directed aggressively towards the Second Body Project. Here's hoping there may be some kind of incentives, sales, or coupons somewhere after Christmas (yeah, a vain hope on a popular and already short-supply model, but a girl can dream.... rolleyes1.gif)

The touchy-feelly review!!mwink.gifDrolleyes1.gifhide

...thanks, DM!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    uncletrav wrote:
    BTW I recieved this Canon Loyalty Program email last night (perfect timing!!!). For current EOS & Powershot registered users, you can take advantage of a mail-in rebate of $20 of select Powershots OR OR OR $50 on the purchase of select DSLR's (including the 7D). The program is good fon purchases rom October 12th through December 31st.
    Offer valid for current registered owners of Canon...cameras who (i) have registered their product before October 12, 2009 and (ii) purchase and register a new Canon...7D...

And I thought it was a waste of time to fill out all those registration cards I ignored...dang! :pissed
  • BGtomBGtom Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Hah!
    Ann McRae wrote:
    :D Hah! I got mine on the 7th (what a coincidence!) and I'm up to 4300!

Of course, maybe it has something to do with the 5 youth football games I shot on the 10th...

Nah. thumb.gif
    Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze