The Coupons Help Thread

Comments

• mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    I reacted to this too but then I thought, they have to make some money, for providing the service. It does feel strange though, that if I make no profit, SmugMug will take theirs out of me.

Are you getting your Pro account free?
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Putting the following together

Without a coupon, the customer would pay $114.95,

If that customer had a $10 off coupon, they would pay $104.95

It's not clear what the $10 is being applied to. A better example might be:

Without a coupon, the customer would pay $114.95,

If that customer had a $200 off coupon, they would pay $4.95 (for shipping)

That way it's obvious coupons are not applied to shipping. Also saying specifically on the help page that coupons do not apply to shipping would help too.

It might be nice if the coupons themselves said "Do not apply to shipping" just to set the expectations of the customer who receives the coupon.

AnneMcBean wrote:
    Can you point me to where the help page gave you that impression? It's actually incorrect and I want to make sure our docs are as clear as possible. Thanks!

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Just wanted to give you a heads up about a funny little bug. When I click on the box to title a new coupon, I get a drop-down with all my titles from pm's I've sent. Bizarre, but kinda cute....
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    One question I haven't seen an answer to...

If I have an outstanding profit balance, will that be tapped instead of a credit card in the event of an upside down order (credit larger than profit)?

Seems silly for SM to charge $5 to my CC (and incur the processing charges) rather than simply deducting the amount of unpaid profit on my account.
  • sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Are you just doing a sceen capture there, Andy?
    Andy wrote:
    We may add such a feature, but here's one way right now

20091204-efiwtdauw2ty7w23rfendibq9x.jpg

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Never mindne_nau.gif , I guess I didn't make it all the way to the bottom of the help page

Dan7312 wrote:
    Putting the following together

Also saying specifically on the help page that coupons do not apply to shipping would help too.
    edited December 4, 2009
    thought / request:

The graphic that you have created for the coupons are quite nice. I'd like to be able to email that graphic, and specifically, I'd like to be able to email that, through smugmug, to all or select previous customers (retaining the customURL.com branding, of course). Is that possible or in the works? Create a coupon and distribute it to those who have purchased from you in the past?

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • echmrrechmrr Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I'm sorry Baldy's initial response doesn't jive with how we ultimately implemented print credits.

On those, we keep 15% on the markup before the print credit is applied. In the case of Amount Off and Percent Off coupons, we keep 15% of the markup AFTER the coupon is applied. The difference is, a print credit is considered a form of payment, just like a credit card.

Thanks for the explanation Anne. The fact that print credits were programed as a payment method now makes sense as to why the commission works the way it does. After looking everything closer, I should be able to achieve what I wanted with an amonut off coupon. Thanks!
    sskoutas wrote:
    thought / request:

The graphic that you have created for the coupons are quite nice. I'd like to be able to email that graphic, and specifically, I'd like to be able to email that, through smugmug, to all or select previous customers (retaining the customURL.com branding, of course). Is that possible or in the works? Create a coupon and distribute it to those who have purchased from you in the past?

I used screen capture, converted to jpg, re-uploaded to a gallery, and mailed them out like a photo using the Share button. Cumbersome, but workable.

Hopefully a future refinement will simplify this - but, I am truly glad to have them out before Christmas!
  • echmrrechmrr Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    A Couple Of Bugs
    After a quick test of the “at cost” coupon, I have found a couple of minor bugs. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I used an at cost coupon on a digital download and it worked great. However, the CLIENT order email confirmation does not show the coupon being deducted; making it look to the client like the full price has been charged. On the other hand, the PRO email confirmation does show that a coupon was applied. <o:p></o:p>
    The other thing that I found was with the downloaded CSV order history. It lists this order as a full price order ($14) and a profit of $11.90. It makes me wonder if any coupons will be reflected on the downloadable sales report or will my numbers be thrown completely off? <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks!<o:p></o:p>
    Mox wrote:
    Just wanted to give you a heads up about a funny little bug. When I click on the box to title a new coupon, I get a drop-down with all my titles from pm's I've sent. Bizarre, but kinda cute....

I'm pretty sure that's the "auto-fill" feature of your browser. Not much SM can do about that. (Except to possibly change the field name from "title" to something else...auto-fill is based on field name.)
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
    edited December 4, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    I used screen capture, converted to jpg, re-uploaded to a gallery, and mailed them out like a photo using the Share button. Cumbersome, but workable.

Hopefully a future refinement will simplify this - but, I am truly glad to have them out before Christmas!

Me too... no complaints here.

• MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    rsquared wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that's the "auto-fill" feature of your browser. Not much SM can do about that. (Except to possibly change the field name from "title" to something else...auto-fill is based on field name.)

Ah, I didn't even check a different browser. Thanks!
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Mox wrote:

So weird. When I do the same, I see the subjects from both recent DGrin pm's and Facebook posts I've made...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    rsquared wrote:
    (Except to possibly change the field name from "title" to something else...auto-fill is based on field name.)

I think that would be a good idea.. maybe "coupon-title".
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    Clear your forms inputs in your browser....
  • cosgravestudioscosgravestudios Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    setting coupon limits
    ok maybe i'm missing something. so i've created a coupon for 10% off all holiday orders of $50 or more. i set the coupon to expire in 30 days with unlimited usage. i set the limit to $25, does this mean it will only take up to $25 off? that's what i was aiming for I don't want someone ordering a large item and recieving more off then my markup cost. no profit in that!
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    ok maybe i'm missing something. so i've created a coupon for 10% off all holiday orders of $50 or more. i set the coupon to expire in 30 days with unlimited usage. i set the limit to $25, does this mean it will only take up to $25 off? that's what i was aiming for I don't want someone ordering a large item and recieving more off then my markup cost. no profit in that!

Yes, 10% off, up to $25 off total. So a $250 order would max out the discount at $25... a $290 order would also be discounted $25. A $35 order would not be discounted at all because it didn't meet the minimum order amount.

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    rsquared wrote:
    Actually, I believe it is possible for Smugmug to disable auto-fill in most browsers if they so choose.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I'm sorry Baldy's initial response doesn't jive with how we ultimately implemented print credits.

On those, we keep 15% on the markup before the print credit is applied. In the case of Amount Off and Percent Off coupons, we keep 15% of the markup AFTER the coupon is applied. The difference is, a print credit is considered a form of payment, just like a credit card.

Think of the case where we sell general SmugMug print credits (not announcing a feature, just saying hypothetically). Or a future case where we allow a bride's guest to purchase a print credit from SmugMug to give to the bride for spending on a specific pro's site. The customer pays SmugMug in those cases, and we dole out 85% profit where applicable depending on what the customer orders and from whom. The profit breakdown is still 85/15, even though a customer is using a gift card (print credit) to pay for part or all of the order, instead of a credit card.

A pro-generated print credit is essentially a back door for the pro to issue the exact same type of print credit, but restrict it to his site.

In a case where the order is for $10 worth of prints and the pro has them marked up to $110 and the customer has a $110 credit issued by the pro.... we could charge the pro $110 (for purchasing a $110 gift card) and then pay his $85 profit, but instead we are simply reducing the amount we charge him by his share of the profit. So he only owes us $25 for that gift card instead of $110 . If a bride's guest purchased that same print credit for the bride, and the bride placed the same order... we would pay the pro his $85 profit.

Any more clear now?

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero

Are you saying you're not going to do something for nothing? I get that. For me it would be the at cost price plus your 15%, so not all that expensive, on most products. However, how would my gift-ee know about the 15%, is that added to the at cost price when they see it, so they stay within the coupon?

Anywho, the shipping sortof ruins the gifting scenario so...

Great for Pro-pros though!
    edited December 4, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    Are you getting your Pro account free?

Well, I suppose they could see it as value-add to the $150 I'm paying for the service as it stood before this update. However, this is a new feature of the site and they can choose to apply any rules they like to it. I'm pretty sure the gifting scenario wasn't considered for this feature, and if you think of it in a scenario where profit is involved it's perfectly natural that SmugMug has a cut.

Malte
  • glasbergenglasbergen Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    From date does not include the chosen date?
    Congrats on releasing the coupon functionality! I'm sure this will make many SmugMug users happy!

While making a test coupon I used a from date and selected today. After that the coupon wasn't active yet. Only after I changed the from date to yesterday the coupon became active. I think including the from date itself in the valid date range would be more intuitive. Thanks.
    edited December 4, 2009
    glasbergen wrote:
    Congrats on releasing the coupon functionality! I'm sure this will make many SmugMug users happy!

While making a test coupon I used a from date and selected today. After that the coupon wasn't active yet. Only after I changed the from date to yesterday the coupon became active. I think including the from date itself in the valid date range would be more intuitive. Thanks.

Sorry for the trouble there. Are you out of the U.S. by chance? The calendar picker goes by your local date. However, the coupon effectiveness starts and ends at 12 midnight SmugMug time (pacific time zone).

That means out here in Ohio if it's 1 am, the calendar picker would show the date as the 5th, but it won't be the 5th to SmugMug for another few hours.

You can manually type in the previous day's date if you need a coupon to be effective immediately. We hope to have this resolved in a future release.

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 4, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    Are you saying you're not going to do something for nothing? I get that. For me it would be the at cost price plus your 15%, so not all that expensive, on most products. However, how would my gift-ee know about the 15%, is that added to the at cost price when they see it, so they stay within the coupon?

Anywho, the shipping sortof ruins the gifting scenario so...

Great for Pro-pros though!

Hmm, I'm not sure I follow. If your products are not pro-priced, then there is no 15%. We only take 15% of a pro markup.

Example: You sell a 5x7 for $10.79 and the SmugMug default price for it is $0.79. The markup is $10.00. You keep $8.50 as profit (85% of $10). SmugMug then keeps the $.79 and $1.50 .

Did I misunderstand your comment?

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Thank You & request
    Wow... smugmug! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I'm really looking forward to thinking these through & putting them to some crazy creative use. I'm brainstorming options like crazy as I type. With the birth of my first grandbaby last night I'm just now getting a first glance at the new coupon features. How can I say thank you enough? wings.gifclap.gifwings.gifclap.gifwings.gifclap.gifwings.gif Did I say thank you? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only request: ASAP please make coupons gallery/catagory specific. I really need to limit the coupon to client &/or event specific galleries.

Now... time to change my SM Sig line to reflect the change. :D
    Smugmug - I Love You!
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
    edited December 5, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Hmm, I'm not sure I follow. If your products are not pro-priced, then there is no 15%. We only take 15% of a pro markup.

Example: You sell a 5x7 for $10.79 and the SmugMug default price for it is $0.79. The markup is $10.00. You keep $8.50 as profit (85% of $10). SmugMug then keeps the $.79 and $1.50 .

Did I misunderstand your comment?

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero

Sounds like I misunderstood you, sorry!. So if I have a sellable "at cost" (That's the lab's price, right?) product that's $10 and I give a Print Credit of $10, my gift-ee will only pay shipping?

Malte
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Cindy wrote:
    With the birth of my first grandbaby last night
    Congrats! But no way do you look like you can be a Grandma!
  • zooexplorerzooexplorer Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    A few questions but many thanks.
    Thank you for the Coupon feature!

I am wondering how this will be seen in orders will it show on an order a coupon is used and remaining balance on print credit? (From Pro End)

Until the coupons can be made more specific to products and galleries I am wondering if this idea would work? If there is a shipping delay and a coupon was used in the wrong gallery will we be able to see which coupon was used and remove the offending prints?

I would like to see that nice little graphic developed in to something like a jpg or pdf down loadable piece.

Thank you for the feature!
    Also on main home page when we log in could there be a link that takes people to the control panel instead of the photo homepage?
  • dudsduds Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Same coupon, multiple customers?
    Ok, the coupon thread is off-the-hook, and now unusable.

Question... I want to offer all of my clients 10% off this weekend. I created a coupon with "unlimited" uses, so I should be good to go, right? Anyone can use that code, and I'll be cool, right?

It worked for one client, but doesn't seem to be working for client #2..,
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
    Nashville child photographer
    Twitter: @mattdudleyphoto
    Facebook: facebook.com/mattdudleyphotography
  • dudsduds Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Quote:
    <table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by takeflightphoto
    Can a single coupon code be given to multiple customers for a limited time sale on all items on a site?

In other words, "Until December 31, get 10% off your purchase, not including shipping."

One coupon code generated that can be used any number of times by any number of customers? It just shuts off on Dec. 31.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Yes. You can also limit how many times it is used if you want to.

I saw the above in another thread, but I didn't see a sorcerer reply... so I'm not sure if it's true....? It seems to answer by question, but I'm still unsure..
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
    Nashville child photographer
    Twitter: @mattdudleyphoto
    Facebook: facebook.com/mattdudleyphotography