Options

The Coupons Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    jswhighamjswhigham Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    For At-cost, $ off, and % off:
    Yeah, we don't yet limit 1 per customer at all. I'm not sure how we'd implement that in the future, maybe tie it to an email address? People would still be able to game the system, but the vast majority would be guided to use the coupon as intended.

With print credits, it is JUST like a gift card. So you don't want to give that to more than one person. They would each eat away at the gift card's total with their orders. Make sense?

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
    It makes sense but it is not clear in the help files. I didn't know if you tracked the customer's coupon when they placed the order.
    Thanks,
    Scott Whigham
    Whigham Photography, LLC
    www.whighamphotography.com
    www.altashot.com
  • Options
    Allen42Allen42 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Another vote for excluding products
    First, thanks & well done!

I also cannot mark up products enough to allow for discounting... they are too high cost already.

Same with Giclee prints, but I've just discontinued offering them.

Please do make coupons able to apply to prints only.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Qustion about Print Credit Coupon...
    Okay, so If I offer my client a $60 print credit, is that $60 in retail for them, or cost for me?

EX: I have a 16x24 metallic print set at $60 and it costs me $23. If they order that one photo, will that take up their entire $60 print credit and charge me the $23?

OR

Will that take up $23 of their print credit and they can order more for a total charging me of $60?

Thanks.

I'm guessing it's the first option, but I just wanted to clarify before I set it up.
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Okay, so If I offer my client a $60 print credit, is that $60 in retail for them, or cost for me?

EX: I have a 16x24 metallic print set at $60 and it costs me $23. If they order that one photo, will that take up their entire $60 print credit and charge me the $23?

OR

Will that take up $23 of their print credit and they can order more for a total charging me of $60?

Thanks.

I'm guessing it's the first option, but I just wanted to clarify before I set it up.

The print credit is good for $60 in retail. If your customer were to purchase a $23 print that you have priced at $60, that would use up the entire print credit. The math for how much this costs you is a little different, though.

Sticking with this example, for a $23 print sold for $60, there would be $37 of profit generated from the sale for you. You get 85% of this, or $31.45. You would be charged $60 - $31.45 = $28.55. So, you would be billed for the cost of the print, plus the 15% that SmugMug would have made on the sale. Does this make sense?
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    rnrjosh wrote:
    The print credit is good for $60 in retail. If your customer were to purchase a $23 print that you have priced at $60, that would use up the entire print credit. The math for how much this costs you is a little different, though.

Sticking with this example, for a $23 print sold for $60, there would be $37 of profit generated from the sale for you. You get 85% of this, or $31.45. You would be charged $60 - $31.45 = $28.55. So, you would be billed for the cost of the print, plus the 15% that SmugMug would have made on the sale. Does this make sense?

Perfect. That is exactly what I expected. Thank you.
  • Options
    alvesalves Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2010
    Coupon Limits Suggestion
    hello -
    thank you smugmug for such a wonderful feature: coupons!
    however, i have a suggestion i'd love to see implemented.

i am a wedding photographer who hands out a $5 coupon code out to guests at weddings to promote print sales. however, i'd love it if you could implement something {similar to pictage} where the coupon can only be used once by each guest. {to avoid sneaky guests placing 10 separate orders to get 10 free $5 prints with the coupon code over and over, charging me the print fee each time when they only order 1 4x6 print - which is $5}.

i don't think putting an expiration date would help this or limiting the # of times a coupon can be used as this could backfire at other guests who may place large orders from the wedding, using it only once to get $5 off their entire order.

maybe a new idea would be to track them by "email addresses" by having them "log into your gallery"?! they could log on with an email address and the password?!

this would also help with building a base of people/network for your business by recording email addresses of those viewing your galleries.

just a thought, would love to hear others thoughts on this!!

alves
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    alves wrote:

alves
    love the suggestion - would you mind adding it on our Feature request forum - http://smugmug.uservoice.com - thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2010
    ReL single use coupon
    thanks andy - already posted on uservoice :). dgrinners ... please vote for it if you'd like to see this implemented!!
    thanks
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    alves wrote:
    hello -
    thank you smugmug for such a wonderful feature: coupons!
    however, i have a suggestion i'd love to see implemented.

i am a wedding photographer who hands out a $5 coupon code out to guests at weddings to promote print sales. however, i'd love it if you could implement something {similar to pictage} where the coupon can only be used once by each guest. {to avoid sneaky guests placing 10 separate orders to get 10 free $5 prints with the coupon code over and over, charging me the print fee each time when they only order 1 4x6 print - which is $5}.

i don't think putting an expiration date would help this or limiting the # of times a coupon can be used as this could backfire at other guests who may place large orders from the wedding, using it only once to get $5 off their entire order.

maybe a new idea would be to track them by "email addresses" by having them "log into your gallery"?! they could log on with an email address and the password?!

this would also help with building a base of people/network for your business by recording email addresses of those viewing your galleries.

alves
    One way partially around this is to just set a minimum purchase for the coupon so you have a $5 off coupon on orders of $25 or more. That would prevent the single 4x6 purchaser from getting the $5 off. And, while you're at it, set an expiration date on the coupon for two weeks to encourage people to make up their minds and buy.

Or, make the coupon be 20% off coupon with a max discount of $5. Then, they have to buy at least $25 worth of merchandise to get the $5 off, stopping the single 4x6 offers from hurting you. You can obviously tweak the numbers 20% and $5 to whatever you like, but this mostly solves your issue. It still doesn't prevent the customer from purchasing multiple $25 orders to get multiple $5 off, but that's way better than you had it.

Also single use per customer would have to be tied to something the user has (email address, shipping address, credit card, etc...) so there would still be a way around it by just entering different info.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    thanks!
    that is a great idea to get around the issue, thank you!
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Download only
    I would like to generate coupons only for download items that I can send to customers interested in buying quantities:
    e.g.
    -get 75% off when you buy 10 downloads or more
    -get this download price when you buy at least 10 downloads

It doesn't seem possible with coupons right now, so I was wondering if that is something you could consider in the future?
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    agunther wrote:
    I would like to generate coupons only for download items that I can send to customers interested in buying quantities:
    e.g.
    -get 75% off when you buy 10 downloads or more
    -get this download price when you buy at least 10 downloads

It doesn't seem possible with coupons right now, so I was wondering if that is something you could consider in the future?
    sure, add your voice: http://smugmug.uservoice.com thanks!
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    sure, add your voice: http://smugmug.uservoice.com thanks!

I just tried:
    Something went wrong.

Sorry about that! We've been notified about this issue, and will take a look at it shortly
  • Options
    vlherringvlherring Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Using coupons
    I hate to seem stupid, but from my reading here the coupon is per person [customer] so that I can't send out a coupon to 20 people but need to create one per person of the 20? Or do I just set it up as an unlimited time use and assume/hope that people who use it won't abuse it.
    Victoria L. Herring
    http://www.JourneyZing.com
    Customized travel research and planning
    Through the eyes of JourneyZing, Images that will Transport You.
    Photographs at: http://gallery.journeyzing.com
  • Options
    DilipDilip Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 25, 2010
    Coupon to download image
    I would love to be able to generate a coupon that a person could use to download a set number of images from a gallery at a given (say, web) resolution. Even better, I would like to generate a coupon that would let somebody order, say, items like one of these:

* 5 96ppi JPGs, non-watermarked, in a specific gallery, for no cost

* ditto but from any gallery

* ditto but for a set price

* 3 5"x7"s for $5 each, then gallery prices are applied

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    vlherring wrote:
    I hate to seem stupid, but from my reading here the coupon is per person [customer] so that I can't send out a coupon to 20 people but need to create one per person of the 20? Or do I just set it up as an unlimited time use and assume/hope that people who use it won't abuse it.
    They are not per person. You can give the same coupon to the 20 people. More?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/coupon-codes
  • Options
    Thomas McKownThomas McKown Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2010
    I would like the option to allow digital downloads for web sized resolutions for free as a coupon. I think that the ability to allow coupons that are product specific would accomplish this perfectly. I only want to provide this to the client, not everybody, so it would be best accomplished as a coupon. It would also be nice to "push" certain products by discounting them. I also like the idea mentioned earlier about the ability to discount orders when more than one quantity of a specific item is ordered. (For example: A first print is $20, but orders of more than one of the same print are only $10 per additional print.) Any thoughts on when these "Packages" might become available? These would be some really cool ideas and will likely help persuade me to stick with S.M. when my subscription expires.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 5, 2010
    Dilip wrote:
    I would love to be able to generate a coupon that a person could use to download a set number of images from a gallery at a given (say, web) resolution. Even better, I would like to generate a coupon that would let somebody order, say, items like one of these:

* 5 96ppi JPGs, non-watermarked, in a specific gallery, for no cost

* ditto but from any gallery

* ditto but for a set price

* 3 5"x7"s for $5 each, then gallery prices are applied

Thanks!

Thats not really a coupon, thats a package.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    SquirtSquirt Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    Another question. I'm trying to set up a coupon for the first time and getting an error message in red that says "Wrong permissions." What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    SquirtSquirt Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Squirt wrote:
    Another question. I'm trying to set up a coupon for the first time and getting an error message in red that says "Wrong permissions." What am I doing wrong?

Can no one help me? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Squirt wrote:
    Can no one help me? ne_nau.gif

send an email to support@smugmug.com

The Support Heroes read the forums, but not continuously. Email is the way to get direct service for your issue.
  • Options
    AllYoursVPPAllYoursVPP Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Coupon Shipping
    Just curious when we expect to see coupons that apply to shipping? Maybe a tool that allows us to click "Free Shipping?" on a specific package? As well as add it to the base of the Coupons area....

This way the "coupon" applies as; $30.00 towards prints...
    And the customer never sees the cost of shipping because it's been provided for free.

Regardless, just curious when we'll see it make it's debut!

Allie
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Just curious when we expect to see coupons that apply to shipping? Maybe a tool that allows us to click "Free Shipping?" on a specific package? As well as add it to the base of the Coupons area....

This way the "coupon" applies as; $30.00 towards prints...
    And the customer never sees the cost of shipping because it's been provided for free.

Regardless, just curious when we'll see it make it's debut!

Allie
    we want to have them - we don't say dates but we want to have them thumb.gif
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    we want to have them - we don't say dates but we want to have them thumb.gif

I tried to twist Andy's arm on this one at WPPI, but he's as steadfast in person as he is on the forums. It's coming, though. thumb.gif
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    how do the coupons and the new packages work together? Where in the process does the client get to put in the referral code for the coupon when they are ordering?
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    thenimirra wrote:
    how do the coupons and the new packages work together? Where in the process does the client get to put in the referral code for the coupon when they are ordering?

There isn't any specific integration at this point. Once a package is in the cart, it functions just the same way as a single item. That means on the billing page of the cart the customer will have the opportunity to enter a coupon code, provided the cart contents meet the minimum criteria for the coupon.

Make sense? So a print credit, $ off, etc. can count towards an order containing a package (or packages).

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Will there ever be an option to not have to enter in credit card info for at cost downloads? I shoot semi pro football and I want to be able to allow some players to download copies for no cost, I figured I could create a coupon code for at cost downloads, but how do I explain that you have to enter in your credit card for something that is suppose to be free let alone not everyone uses credit cards.ne_nau.gif

The suggestion I got from smug mug support last year was to create a second album with a password. This = more work for me.

I thought coupons were the answerheadscratch.gif
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Gallery specific coupons
    I know this has probably been brought up before so sorry for rehashing this again.
    I shoot mostly sporting events. I find that my customers wait to make purchases because they know I will be back and they might see something they like better "next time". Gallery specific coupons would give me the opportunity to encourage customers to buy prints now instead of waiting for something better. I could set the coupon to expire before the next event so they would have to buy now to get the best deal.
    I sure hope you guys are working on this because this would be very helpful to my business and would increase your bottom line as well.
    Thanks
    www.PLSPhotography.com
  • Options
    Freedom ChicFreedom Chic Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Print & E-mail Coupons
    ne_nau.gif I'm normally not this dense, I swear...how did you do that? I want to post my new coupon on Facebook & e-mail it (not just the code, but the cool-lookin' coupon) How would I do that?
    Andy wrote:
    We may add such a feature, but here's one way right now

20091204-efiwtdauw2ty7w23rfendibq9x.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    ne_nau.gif I'm normally not this dense, I swear...how did you do that? I want to post my new coupon on Facebook & e-mail it (not just the code, but the cool-lookin' coupon) How would I do that?

I concur...headscratch.gif