The Coupons Business Discussion Thread

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    At some point you have to take ownership of your part of the process, and know your business.

If you give out a coupon for $10 off some minimum amount, and your customer buys a high cost item that you've only marked up by $6, you owe smugmug $4.

If you give out a coupon for 25% off and your customer buys a high cost item that you've only marked up by 15%, you owe smugmug the other 10%.

At-Cost and Print Credit coupons guarantee you won't owe smugmug anything, but you can still end up with zero profit when they get used. At cost is self explanatory.

If you give someone a print credit for $50 and they haven't paid you anything for it, you will make zero profit if their order is $50 or less. If their order is less than $50, you don't lose, but they will have the remainder left to use another time.

This is all really very simple. If you don't rely on computers to think and do math for you, there are no loopholes.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Ok you can now mark this thread uselessheadscratch.gifscratch
    I read through 9 pages of this thread "The Coupons Business Discussion Thread" and I think I read about six posts about how different people are planing on how they are going to use this feature which is what I thought this thread was about.headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif
    How can we keep these on the subjectheadscratch.gif The bulk of this thread is mostly a wish list of the changes users want.

Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • dudsduds Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Some clarification (and correct me if I'm wrong here):
    If you give out a coupon for $10 off some minimum amount, and your customer buys a high cost item that you've only marked up by $6, you owe smugmug $4.
    If you give out a coupon for 25% off and your customer buys a high cost item that you've only marked up by 15%, you owe smugmug the other 10%.
    I think the math may be a bit fuzzy, but the concept seems right to me.
    At-Cost and Print Credit coupons guarantee you won't owe smugmug anything, but you can still end up with zero profit when they get used. At cost is self explanatory.
    This one isn't quite right, and that's what we've been debating. You will end up owing SmugMug, unless your items are offered at-cost.
    If you give someone a print credit for $50 and they haven't paid you anything for it, you will make zero profit if their order is $50 or less. If their order is less than $50, you don't lose, but they will have the remainder left to use another time.
    Whether or not you "lose" is subjective, certainly... but SmugMug will take a cut. You won't make a profit, sure. But you will end up owing SmugMug money.
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
    Nashville child photographer
    Twitter: @mattdudleyphoto
    Facebook: facebook.com/mattdudleyphotography
    edited December 9, 2009
    dbveto wrote:
    Ok you can now mark this thread useless
    I agree... This thread is unwieldy, yes. Huge. Long. It's hard to find answers to a question about coupon usage. That being said, the conversation that's happening is actually an important one for Pros that want to use coupons as a tool to generate revenue. Which I guess is sorta useful.
    dbveto wrote:
    How can we keep these on the subject
    What was the subject, anyway? ne_nau.gif It was kinda vague.
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
    edited December 9, 2009
    duds wrote:
    I agree... This thread is unwieldy, yes. Huge. Long. It's hard to find answers to a question about coupon usage. That being said, the conversation that's happening is actually an important one for Pros that want to use coupons as a tool to generate revenue. Which I guess is sorta useful.

What was the subject, anyway? ne_nau.gif It was kinda vague.

Very clear to me
    Andy wrote:
    This is the place for pros to discuss the business side of our coupons feature.

Want to chat about promotions? Strategy? Marketing? Post away right here!

For help or problems with coupons, we have a separate thread here, or you can email our Support Heroes directly.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
    edited December 9, 2009
    Sorry, maybe vague was the wrong word.

Broad... probably better. The business side of coupon is a broad topic.
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
    edited December 9, 2009
    duds wrote:
    Sorry, maybe vague was the wrong word.

Broad... probably better. The business side of coupon is a broad topic.
    I understand I was just looking to see how others were using or going to use coupons in their business.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    dbveto wrote:
    I understand I was just looking to see how others were using or going to use coupons in their business.
    Well, in addition to the facebook coupon I mentioned, I also sent out a 20% coupon to everyone on my smugmug mailing list (it's a short list - I'm new at this!) with a note saying thank you for helping MoxiePhotos to grow in 2009, and to please enjoy 20% off their next purchase of prints &/or merchandise. I've had a couple of orders already.
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    dbveto wrote:

I just stuck a "standard shipping credit" coupon in a Christmas show program I'll be shooting next week.

thumb.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    In my business model as a horse show photographer, a category is the venue I am photographing, a subcategory is a particular horse show on a particular date, and a gallery is a particular rider/horse combo from that show. Pictures usually sell out from the most recent show within about a month or so, but a show can take longer to play itself out. I don't want to discount a horse show, or subcategory, until the point comes that I feel that the show is mostly played out, at which point those older pictures are competing somewhat with the fresh pictures of today, and possibly from a competitor at a venue I don't cover. I need to lower the price to get more out of them. Until Smugmug can allow me to make the coupon gallery specific or preferably sub-category specific, the only way I can do this today is to send an e-mail blast to my whole client list and tell give them a discount for old shows. In that case I can only have them pay me directly, then drop-ship the prints to the clients. I would love to get out of the middle, have no problem with paying the 15% of markup to Smugmug, but there is no other way.

Another thing I do is to give comp prints to a division winner at a show. I let them get 3 4x6 prints for free, but I restrict it to that show and that winning ride. They cannot use that "print credit" to buy pictures from another horse show. In order to get out of the middle of that process, there needs to be a gallery specific coupon feature..

Hero's, I am not complaining at all. Just telling you what I would need in order to fit coupons into my own business model
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • ChrisNChrisN Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Perhaps I am missing something in the discussion over print credits and the cut SmugMug takes. I do not currently have a pro account (mainly because lack of coupons and a couple other features meant that I only use my site to display images but I am considering upgrading it now) so I can not test this but is there a reason why an amount off coupon could not be used instead of print credit for comps we give clients? I realize that they can't retain their balance but in the case that they don't use the whole credit couldn't we just edit the coupon or issue another for the balance remaining?

In my case I just did a shoot for a relative and am giving her some prints as a gift. I have no problem with SmugMug making a profit but I don't wan't to pay nearly $30 in commissions just to avoid having to input the order myself rather than letting her do it on something I am not making a profit on.

Also, for those at SmugMug listening please make it possible to apply coupons to shipping. I think it just looks cheap from a clients perspective to get a $100 print credit but be asked to pay for shipping, plus there is still a percentage of the population that does not have a credit card.
  • FlashOutLoudFlashOutLoud Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I wonder if "free shipping on orders over x amount" coupons may be helpful in lower margin markets? That would encourage large volume orders!

-Anne

I think that would be a great help, customers may spend/ purchase X dollars on more prints instead of having to pay shipping? I could pass said free shipping coupons out at events when I pass my business card/brouchure to potential customers.

Thank you and I am sure we will all get this figured out in time.
  • VernerVerner Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    This is the place for pros to discuss the business side of our coupons feature.

Thanks, this is a great start! I'm largely handicapped because I have "at cost" galleries plus mark-up galleries so most any promotion risks affecting my plastic. Others have covered this so I'll move on to suggestions I haven't seen.

1) I'm concerned that "At Cost" will mean that when a client orders a photo, I won't have my "photographer touchup opportunity" to adjust the photos. Often, I mark up the products by one penny which allows me to do this. Am I correct that at-cost won't honor the print delay?

2) Please consider renaming "At Cost" to something like "Full Discount". Although clients can discover the prices, "At Cost" creates the obvious "You marked up my 4x6 print from 21 cents to ten bucks???"

3) The ability for me to set a custom price list, then have a coupon to enable them to use that price list (all or selected galleries) would be really cool. In this case, I could have wedding galleries priced for "everyone", then I could give the bride and groom a time bound coupon from a price list based on the package they ordered. Back to #1 above, this would also give me the option to have a "plus one cent" price list to solve that problem.

4) Any chance for an option on the % discount where the applied discount will not drop below the photographer's cost?

5) +1 on applying coupons to galleries and product sets.

Thanks!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Well, its working...
    On Monday afternoon I launched this out by email out to all my past clients:
    735640014_SNMes-L.jpg

And as of last night I already have 3 orders... each of them over $150. Who is to say I wouldn't have gotten them anyway... but I can tell you that I am sure it gave them each a little bit of incentive to order now and not put it off.

I sell a lot of prints all the time, but this is fun to have a way to encourage print sales!

THANKS SMUGMUG! I can't see this as anything but beneficial to all of us!
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 10, 2009
    Verner wrote:
    Am I correct that at-cost won't honor the print delay?
    no, that is not correct. at-cost coupons will honor proof-delay settings.
    Pedal faster
    edited December 10, 2009
    735640014_SNMes-L.jpg

And as of last night I already have 3 orders... each of them over $150. Who is to say I wouldn't have gotten them anyway... but I can tell you that I am sure it gave them each a little bit of incentive to order now and not put it off.

I sell a lot of prints all the time, but this is fun to have a way to encourage print sales!

Thanks for sharing I am glad some people are following the subject of this thread I wanted to see this thread develop into an online Brain storming session on the best ways to use the coupons.deal.gif

Not just read what should be changed or added to this featureheadscratch.gif
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    At Cost Must Be Gallery-Specific
    The At-Cost coupon really has to be made gallery-specific.

I could argue for gallery-specific attributes for all of the coupons, but not tying the at-cost coupon to a specific gallery is like giving away the store.

When I use At Cost coupons I'm trying to be nice. But I don't want to be raped in the process.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    dwterry wrote:
    The At-Cost coupon really has to be made gallery-specific.

I could argue for gallery-specific attributes for all of the coupons, but not tying the at-cost coupon to a specific gallery is like giving away the store.

When I use At Cost coupons I'm trying to be nice. But I don't want to be raped in the process.

Well, while I did advocate the gallery specific coupon idea above, I do handle this little nicety by just repricing the gallery to cost and letting the client know about it!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Well, while I did advocate the gallery specific coupon idea above, I do handle this little nicety by just repricing the gallery to cost and letting the client know about it!

One thing I like about coupons, versus simply changing pricing, is that they still allow you to establish "value" for your work.

I'm giving you $100 worth of product for only $10 ... versus giving you $10 worth of product.

It's all about perception.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    735640014_SNMes-L.jpg

That's great Heather....congrats! :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • BCinDCBCinDC Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2009
    Exactly
    drmoon wrote:
    I do not work for SmugMug and have no insight to their reasoning. I am just a Pro User like all the others.

But if I was in SmugMug's shoes, this is how my reasoning would justify a 15% commission on 'print credit'. A print credit should be thought of as a pre-paid gift card. You as the photographer have been paid say $50.00 for a gift card. You have therefore made $50.00 and your client can order $50.00 worth of prints. The client just paid you directly rather then pay SmugMug who then pays you.

From SmugMug's perspective, if the client had not paid you $50.00 first but instead just ordered $50.00 in prints first, they would get 15%.

So why should SmugMug loose 15% because the client choose to pay you directly for the prints and they do all the work of filling the order and communicating with the client if the client is dissatisfied in any way?

From a SmugMug customer, I have no problem with the Print Credit when thought of it in the terms described above.

DM
    After reading all the complaints about the 15% commission on print credit coupons, I fail to see the logic behind the complaints. SmugMug earning a commission on sales with a print credit is no different than them earning a commission on any sale. The decision should be the same; if you don't want to pay a 15% commission, order all your customer's prints yourself. If you want the convenience of SmugMug's order fulfillment, pay the commission.

Bob
    www.CrosserPhotography.com
  • scdiverscdiver Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2009
    Price Spreadsheet
    duds wrote:
    My print prices are pretty low - maybe too low - but I am in a fairly competitive market, so I'm trying not to price myself out of business.

I have gotten a lot of print sales this weekend after creating some coupons. Which is terrific news! But, it's eating into my profit margin considerably. In addition, I have had a few sales where I've been upside-down, and I've owed money.

So, I'd appreciate having a conversation about how to price products and use coupons in such a way that... well... works. It's difficult to use the "Set Prices" screen to accurately understand how a coupon, and SmugMug's commission, will impact profit margins. There is a lot of math involved.

Shy of raising prices and lowering coupon values, anyone have any ideas? Let the collaboration begin!

I created a spreadsheet to help me determine pricing - I can change the Sale Price and see how that effects my profit (base, 10% off, and 20% off)

Here is a look - I am happy to share it, is there a way to attach an Excel file?

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 697pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=924 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 77pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3766" width=103><COL style="WIDTH: 41pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1974" width=54><COL style="WIDTH: 55pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2669" width=73><COL style="WIDTH: 46pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2230" width=61><COL style="WIDTH: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2304" width=63><COL style="WIDTH: 41pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1974" width=54><COL style="WIDTH: 25pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1206" width=33><COL style="WIDTH: 41pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1974" span=2 width=54><COL style="WIDTH: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2304" width=63><COL style="WIDTH: 41pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1974" width=54><COL style="WIDTH: 25pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1206" width=33><COL style="WIDTH: 41pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1974" span=2 width=54><COL style="WIDTH: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2304" width=63><COL style="WIDTH: 41pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1974" width=54><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 77pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 height=17 width=103>Product</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=54>Default</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 55pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=73>Sale Price</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 46pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=61>Gross</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=63>SM (15%)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 width=54>Net</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 width=33></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=54>10% off</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=54>Gross</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=63>SM (15%)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 width=54>Net</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 width=33></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=54>20% off</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=54>Gross</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=63>SM (15%)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 width=54>Net</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl28 height=17>4x6 Lustre</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.21">$ 0.21 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="2">$ 2.00 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.79" x:fmla="=C2-B2">$ 1.79 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.26850000000000002" x:fmla="=0.15*D2">$ 0.27 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.5215000000000001" x:fmla="=D2-E2">$ 1.52 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl25></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.2" x:fmla="=0.1*C2">$ 0.20 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.59" x:fmla="=C2-(B2+H2)">$ 1.59 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.23849999999999996" x:fmla="=0.15*I2">$ 0.24 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.3514999999999999" x:fmla="=I2-J2">$ 1.35 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.4" x:fmla="=0.2*C2">$ 0.40 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.39" x:fmla="=C2-(B2+M2)">$ 1.39 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.20850000000000002" x:fmla="=0.15*N2">$ 0.21 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.1815000000000002" x:fmla="=N2-O2">$ 1.18 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl28 height=17>4x6 Glossy</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.19">$ 0.19 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="2">$ 2.00 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.81" x:fmla="=C3-B3">$ 1.81 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.27150000000000002" x:fmla="=0.15*D3">$ 0.27 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.5385" x:fmla="=D3-E3">$ 1.54 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl25></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.2" x:fmla="=0.1*C3">$ 0.20 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.61" x:fmla="=C3-(B3+H3)">$ 1.61 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.24149999999999996" x:fmla="=0.15*I3">$ 0.24 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.3684999999999998" x:fmla="=I3-J3">$ 1.37 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.4" x:fmla="=0.2*C3">$ 0.40 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.41" x:fmla="=C3-(B3+M3)">$ 1.41 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.21149999999999999" x:fmla="=0.15*N3">$ 0.21 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.1984999999999999" x:fmla="=N3-O3">$ 1.20 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl28 height=17>4x6 Matte</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.19">$ 0.19 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="2">$ 2.00 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.81" x:fmla="=C4-B4">$ 1.81 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.27150000000000002" x:fmla="=0.15*D4">$ 0.27 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.5385" x:fmla="=D4-E4">$ 1.54 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl25></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.2" x:fmla="=0.1*C4">$ 0.20 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.61" x:fmla="=C4-(B4+H4)">$ 1.61 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.24149999999999996" x:fmla="=0.15*I4">$ 0.24 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.3684999999999998" x:fmla="=I4-J4">$ 1.37 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.4" x:fmla="=0.2*C4">$ 0.40 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="1.41" x:fmla="=C4-(B4+M4)">$ 1.41 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl29 x:num="0.21149999999999999" x:fmla="=0.15*N4">$ 0.21 </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: gray; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0.5pt solid" class=xl30 x:num="1.1984999999999999" x:fmla="=N4-O4">$ 1.20 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    scdiver wrote:
    I created a spreadsheet to help me determine pricing - I can change the Sale Price and see how that effects my profit (base, 10% off, and 20% off)

Here is a look - I am happy to share it, is there a way to attach an Excel file?
    Awesome! If it doesn't allow you to attach the file as an excel file, rename it to a jpg or something else that is allowed. We can then just rename it again before using it. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • scdiverscdiver Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Awesome! If it doesn't allow you to attach the file as an excel file, rename it to a jpg or something else that is allowed. We can then just rename it again before using it. thumb.gif

I tried jpg, kmz, and pmg
    Here it is as .pdf

Let me know if that works - I can try .txt but I think in may lose the auto calculate...
    edited December 14, 2009
    scdiver wrote:
    Here it is as .pdf

Let me know if that works - I can try .txt but I think in may lose the auto calculate...
    I was able to open this in excel after renaming it looks great.
    Just right click on pricing.pdf then pick save or save as, then rename to xls
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    scdiver wrote:
    Works great! clap.gif Just save as pricing.xls instead of pricing.pdf. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    scdiver wrote:
    Here it is as .pdf

Thanks for sharing, bud!thumb.gif
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Does anyone have a success story they could share?
    A story where profits were higher with coupons, and what the discounts were, etc.
    edited December 16, 2009
    Nimai wrote:
    Does anyone have a success story they could share?

I've definitely seen an increase in sales with the coupons. Absolutely.

After trying 10% off (very popular) and 20% off (I took a bath on that one, so it didn't last very long), I've decided to offer coupons that look like this:

$5 off $50
    $10 off $100
    $15 off $150

So, that's a 10% discount, but only at certain thresholds. That lets me keep my prices low enough, and helps keep my profit reasonable. Works for me, I think. For now.

Thumbs up for coupons. Though we've been discussing some areas for improvement, they are still a useful selling tool, no doubt. thumb.gif
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    When to expire?
    I wonder what is the optimal timeframe for a coupon to expire after a shoot or event? 2 weeks? 30 days? other? Anybody study this or have experience?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.