Comments

• Options
    MarcRJacobsMarcRJacobs Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Customizing the Contact page
    RogersDA wrote:
    Hey SmugMug Heros - Thanks for the Contact Form.clap.gif

771101741_fupcy-M.jpg

Very impressive... how did you get the graphic into the top of the form?
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Very impressive... how did you get the graphic into the top of the form?

See the attached text file. Change that text with the below information for your site.

CLICK_TEXT --> Text that people read/click-on in the NavBar.
    ImageID_ImageKey-X.png --> The image that you wish to display in the form. I used a medium-sized png image since png supports transparency better than gif images. You can use a png, gif, or jpg - just change the text in the script.
    YOUR_URL_HERE --> Your super smug site.
    YOUR_NICKNAME --> Your super smug nickname

EDIT: Apparently this customized contact form only works when you have the page footer turned off completely. I tried enabling Mini Footer and Full Footer, and both times this would break my form customization when not logged-in.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Hey SmugMug Heros - Thanks for the Contact Form.clap.gif

771101741_fupcy-M.jpg
    How did you get your contact form to display a header like stationary?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    HoofClix wrote:
    How did you get your contact form to display a header like stationary?
    See the post right above ya. :D
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    See the post right above ya. :D

I was lollygagging typing my post while you were answering that same question! I've just been updating my own header to include that and other stuff. Mine is a bit more cluttered with all of the venues, as I try to get folks straight to their venue without fuss.. Many Tanks!thumb.gif
    Mark
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    I notice that when I hit Cancel, another cancel button then appears on the form when I go back to it. Does anyone else have this issue? I must have a code propblem.
    That happened to me, too, last night when I was playing with the script code.

I started from new and it stopped happening. headscratch.gif

No idea why it occured or how I "fixed" it.

EDIT: I plugged your script into my site to test and I didn't get the second "cancel" button. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Wrong Script Showing
    Hi RogersDA; I plugged in your code and it work like a dream while I was logged into my site. But, when I logged out to view it like everyone else, I see the stock SM contact, but with my pic and their "Contact the gallery owner". Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Hi RogersDA; I plugged in your code and it work like a dream while I was logged into my site. But, when I logged out to view it like everyone else, I see the stock SM contact, but with my pic and their "Contact the gallery owner". Any ideas?
    Out of curiosity - the actual gallery where your "Marc R. Jacob's Photography" logo is stored - are original sizes enabled?
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Out of curiosity - the actual gallery where your "Marc R. Jacob's Photography" logo is stored - are original sizes enabled?

Yes, they are, just checked. But, I think I have a more basic problem. I just discovered this. I removed the "Contact" code from my navbar and re-enabled the link in the SM footer. When I'm logged in it takes me to "http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal". But, when I log out, the stock SM contact page with my info and email come up.

So, logged out I only ever get the stock SM page, whether or not I have the script in the navbar. But, logged in I get out modified one. And, this apparently was true before I put your changes in to. I went back to my first one and modifed the text "Contact this gallery owner" and it doesn't show logged out either.

This is very odd.

~Marc
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Apparently my customized contact form only works when I have the page Footer turned off completely. I tried enabling Mini Footer and Full Footer, and both times this would break my form customization.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    I just began noticing the same thing about being logged-in and logged-out. The problem is, if you disable the SmugMug footer in the Easy Customizer, how does one log-in and out from then on?
    Mark
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    HoofClix wrote:
    I just began noticing the same thing about being logged-in and logged-out. The problem is, if you disable the SmugMug footer in the Easy Customizer, how does one log-in and out from then on?
    I just go to http://www.smugmug.com - look at the top of the page for the Login link (which changes to logout after you login). It can be a pain - but I like the cleaner look on my site.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Can one of you use the link at the following link and e-mail me.
    http://www.shawnkrausphoto.com/Other/Contact-Me/9339061_zzjtv

I want to test my e-mail link.

It is not working on my computer for some reason.

I get the feeling it might be my e-mail client.

Thanks in advance Shawn
    Done. Also - check out http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=81235&highlight=norobotmail

to help hide your email address from spambots.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Another suggestion for the next version.

I noticed that the current version appears to scrub out any scripting that may have been placed in the message box. Great!

Can you all also eliminate links in the subject line and message box that are directed to sites other than smugmug.com? Without any security; e.g., captcha or other, there is a risk that a bot or human can use this form to send unnecessary/unsafe links to the smug photogs.
  • Options
    thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    my only question is how does this work (the code from RogersDA) for my blog? i've followed instructions on here to setup blogspot and have my blog looking exactly like my SM site...can the code be modified to work on the blog too?
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    thaKing wrote:
    my only question is how does this work (the code from RogersDA) for my blog? i've followed instructions on here to setup blogspot and have my blog looking exactly like my SM site...can the code be modified to work on the blog too?
    Right now on your site you have a few pages with a navigatin bar (the home page, and the one on the upper-right of the other pages.

The navbar has the following CSS for the "Contact" link:
    [html]
    <li><a href='http://www.jeremyking.com/contact' title='Contact'>Contact</a></li>[/html]

You could try and replace that line with the the text from the previous posts.

Though - not sure why you want to do that. Your contact form is fine, and you should be able to add graphics to that if you wanted to.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Right now on your site you have a few pages with a navigatin bar (the home page, and the one on the upper-right of the other pages.

The navbar has the following CSS for the "Contact" link:
    [html]
    Contact[/html]
    You could try and replace that line with the the text from the previous posts.

Though - not sure why you want to do that. Your contact form is fine, and you should be able to add graphics to that if you wanted to.
    not sure i follow you exactly...following your example code, i was able to create a contact form link in my navbar like you suggested (although i was only testing and removed that code)...my blog (blogspot) is made to look like my site, but will this code work on the blog navbar?

you mention you're not sure why i would do that...currently using free wufoo but i'd rather have everything through SM if possible...so, i could do away with wufoo and have one place to manage everything...make sense?
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    thaKing wrote:
    not sure i follow you exactly...following your example code, i was able to create a contact form link in my navbar like you suggested (although i was only testing and removed that code)...my blog (blogspot) is made to look like my site, but will this code work on the blog navbar?

you mention you're not sure why i would do that...currently using free wufoo but i'd rather have everything through SM if possible...so, i could do away with wufoo and have one place to manage everything...make sense?
    If your blog is not created directly with your smugsite then my guess it that it will not work. But, there are others more knowledgeable than me on that.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    i think you're right, it won't work...i just didn't know if the code could be "finessed" to get it to work on blogspot...
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    scotticus wrote:

Anyone have any other feature requests or functionality they would like to see added? Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
    Scott.

Hi Scott-

I have a few requests, and these are in no particular order as I am not a pro, but I use a pro account :)
    1. Be able to include some custom text on the page. So that one can put in information like "No, I don't do kids' parties"
    2. Allow the pro to set what e-mail the e-mail comes from. Not only because Postini stopped my e-mail test (not the confirmation e-mail though); but also for organizational purposes
    3. Provide info on what browser and OS the user is using when writing the e-mail so that if someone is saying, "Hey, I can't see my pictures." One knows the configuration of the user's computer.

I am torn between using this one and using my basic contact page that I created and doing a custom footer, but figured you were asking for comments....
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    Remove Mini-Footer
    Thanks RogersDA for figuring this out. Once I turned off my mini-footer, everthing works fine.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    Login without a footer
    I think we have found, thanks to RogersDA, that we need to remove all SM footers to make the new Contact Page work in our navbars. The login process, however, is now a bit tedious. To solve this I added the attached text to my "Custom Footer" area.

I chose my specific color to kind of hide it on my background. I uses the standard SM login screen, without having to go to the parent site, and then upon successful login takes you to your own homepage by changing the "goto=" url.

Have fun...
  • Options
    philtographyphiltography Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    So there are a lot of request for this feature and that feature, and this that that and something else.
    So I want to go back to my original point. Leave the default smugmug contact form as it is plain and simple. And then in the settings page of our control panel have two simple options; 1. use smug contact form with supplied email address, or 2. use this url to my own custom form.

Then we can all go to town on our custom forms as we have already been able to do. We just need a way to control the url of the default 'Contact' link in any given smugmug default theme/header/footer.
    Phillip Norman Photography
    http://www.phillipnorman.com
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    So I want to go back to my original point. Leave the default smugmug contact form as it is plain and simple. And then in the settings page of our control panel have two simple options; 1. use smug contact form with supplied email address, or 2. use this url to my own custom form.

Then we can all go to town on our custom forms as we have already been able to do. We just need a way to control the url of the default 'Contact' link in any given smugmug default theme/header/footer.
    I disagree - SmugMug should allow a basic form - but enable more user-control over it's content/appearance. That's no different than with other smug-features. If users want to change the smug-form then so be it. If they want to use their own form then do that instead.

If you do not want to use the footer contact then you should be able to disable it from showing on your site. Then in the footer you can add a link to your own contact form if you feel that is absolutely necessary to have in the footer. However, as Andy has alluded, a contact link should already be visible to your clients without having to use the footer.

But - as Andy has said - this is Ver. 1. Things will undoubtedly change. And, as smugginess goes - most changes are for the better.

It's all good.biggrinbounce2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    I think we have found, thanks to RogersDA, that we need to remove all SM footers to make the new Contact Page work in our navbars. The login process, however, is now a bit tedious. To solve this I added the attached text to my "Custom Footer" area.

I chose my specific color to kind of hide it on my background. I uses the standard SM login screen, without having to go to the parent site, and then upon successful login takes you to your own homepage by changing the "goto=" url.

Have fun...
    Good - but I just use two tabs in the browser. One pointing to smugmug (for logging in and out) and one to edit. I usually have Safari, Parallels/WinXP/Internet Explorer running, too, so that I check the site on other browsers. Of course I need to make some editing changes now as things are not looking quite right, but that will have to wait for some more free time.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    I disagree - SmugMug should allow a basic form - but enable more user-control over it's content/appearance. That's no different than with other smug-features. If users want to change the smug-form then so be it. If they want to use their own form then do that instead.

If you do not want to use the footer contact then you should be able to disable it from showing on your site. Then in the footer you can add a link to your own contact form if you feel that is absolutely necessary to have in the footer. However, as Andy has alluded, a contact link should already be visible to your clients without having to use the footer.

But - as Andy has said - this is Ver. 1. Things will undoubtedly change. And, as smugginess goes - most changes are for the better.

It's all good.biggrinbounce2.gif

So I would be quite happy to have the 'contact' show in my footer, but at this point there is no way for me to point it to my contact form, is there??
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010

Have fun...

Maybe I'm missing something but I followed the previous instructions to add the contact form to my nav bar, (per: post # 61 - thanks Marc) then just removed ONLY the 'contact' tab from the (my) smugmug mini-footer (per: post #53 - thanks Phillip) and it works just fine (except the occasional 'double-cancel' issue)...also has smugmug changed the policy that said we cannot remove the footer altogether??? headscratch.gif

Otherwise I'm good to go as is (with mini-footer intact)

thanks all :D

rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    rich56k wrote:
    ...also has smugmug changed the policy that said we cannot remove the footer altogether??? headscratch.gif
    rich56k
    I asked the same thing...
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    rich56k wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something....

I would like to keep the contact link in the mini footer, but have it go to my custom contact form...same as my navbar.
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:

Wow, thanks for the link David! thumb.gif

Per smugmug's own release notes - I guess that's the new policy deal.gif

Phillip, it's prob just a matter of time before a fellow dgrinner/smug sorcerer gets that worked out...

Thanks again to both of you!

rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS