Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #42 (Photojournalism - Exclusive Black and White Challenge)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited January 27, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #42

Welcome to Round #42 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, January 11, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, January 25, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Photojournalism (Exclusive Black and White Challenge)

PJ, street, candid, whatever your name for it, your goal is to capture a scene as you find it. Give your viewers a sense of place, or a moment, or an unexpected discovery. Nothing staged, nothing cloned, just you, your camera, and your feet pounding the pavement. All shots must be in black and white, without toning.

Your Judges:
trevor (Winner of Round 39)
VisualXpressions (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Ooh, I like this subject so much - wonderful! clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    This is going to be fun :D
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I guess I've got no excuse...
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I'm foaming at the mouth!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I'm foaming at the mouth!

You live in the right place for this one mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    You live in the right place for this one mwink.gif

Actually my best PJ style shot was shot inside a diner at breakfast--but I do love this style of photography. Laughing.gif, now I'm feeling the pressure:D . Watch me freezerolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Actually my best PJ style shot was shot inside a diner at breakfast--but I do love this style of photography. Laughing.gif, now I'm feeling the pressure:D . Watch me freezerolleyes1.gif .

yeah right! Most of us won't stand a chance against you in this category! It will be fun trying though!
  • Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    oh, I've never done this. OK, discipline, I'll try 'pounding the street' (more likely slipping and taking a self-portrait of me twisting an ankle).
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    michswiss wrote:

Nope. This is right up your alley! thumb.gif
  • Options
    sepplettsepplett Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I am so anxious to improve my photography. thumb.gif This seems like a good challenge to get my feet wet on. I hope I can do this. Can it be any black and white? Something other than people?
    Stephanie

Inspiration is everywhere you look.......
    Beauty is in the smallest details..........
    Love is a blessing..............................
    My camera is my soul to the world.....

edited January 11, 2010
    sepplett wrote:
    I am so anxious to improve my photography. thumb.gif This seems like a good challenge to get my feet wet on. I hope I can do this. Can it be any black and white? Something other than people?

check this out

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=148947
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010

Aaron,

Thanks for the feedback. I did a breif run-through of the links provided and have a better idea what I am facing. Now it's time to go read up and take some shots!

Thanks!
    Stephanie
    Stephanie

edited January 11, 2010
    Rocks are my usual subjects so I too have a little apprehension....good luck
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010

Good Luck to you too! I love Rocks and Ice and all the unusual stuff! Though I guess for me, this will be unusual!
    Stephanie

edited January 11, 2010
    michswiss wrote:

Expect to see something from you by the end of the day in fact. :D
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010

This is photojournalism- not street photography. Lots of things can qualify. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    same thing in my book.... eitherway it is the type of photography that can get you shot....eek7.gif

but, I really like "people of wal-mart" style photojournalism, maybe I will do that....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    same thing in my book.... eitherway it is the type of photography that can get you shot....eek7.gif

but, I really like "people of wal-mart" style photojournalism, maybe I will do that....

Crap... there goes my idea... I shoulda been quicker to "call" it! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    Halite wrote:
    Expect to see something from you by the end of the day in fact. :D

I've been admonished to cut back on instantly posting my weekend takes. mwink.gif Plus, I've got two added excuses; I just got back in town on Saturday and the weather was horrible on Sunday. But, I'll be out taking pictures soon enough.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:
    yeah right! Most of us won't stand a chance against you in this category! It will be fun trying though!

Ha!
    I saw your awesome post in "people" which in my opinion should have gone in PJ--I think you called it "cookies"--I loved the entire series.
    I appreciate your huge pat on the back btw.

There is so much that can go into this category. I think some people think that you can only live in an urban setting to post in "street/pj" and that's not true.

The fun thing to see will be the dailies because it's not like we can tell people "go out and reshoot" PJ is usually a "one shot deal"--so I guess we will just be saying "works or doesn't work".

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

I think for this particular challenge though, people will have to carry their cameras around more (which is a good thing).
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    what does that mean,"without toning"?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    what does that mean,"without toning"?

I assume things like Sepia toning, texturing or the like. Given that this isn't SooC though, pay attention to the B&W conversions. Make sure there's a good white point in the image and that the blacks are deep.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I assume things like Sepia toning, texturing or the like. Given that this isn't SooC though, pay attention to the B&W conversions. Make sure there's a good white point in the image and that the blacks are deep.
    nod.gif No sepia, cyanotype, warming filters, cooling filters, or the like. Straight B&W.
  • Options
    trevortrevor Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Very nice topic. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with in two weeks. wave.gif
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Omg!
    This is by far the hardest challenge topic I've seen since I started lurking here months ago.

Not only PJ, but B&W to boot! (Oh... boot...my mind is still in the last challenge.:D ne_nau.gif:D )

I can feel a couple of 'stretch' weeks coming on!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    Mad CatMad Cat Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    PJ - what a heart breaker
    In the days of my youth it was my dream to grow up, travel to exotic locales, and be a famous globetrotting photojournalist. Black and white as well! I don't know whether to get excited, or cringe! w/mcwings.gif
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Excuse me for being a 'noob' but what's the differences between pj and finding something interesting going on the street?

Is it the randomness, or is it taking something that might end up in the paper, like the end of a championship game, or someone getting pulled over for speeding?
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2010
    Excuse me for being a 'noob' but what's the differences between pj and finding something interesting going on the street?

I don't think they're necessarily mutually exclusive. Apologies for being vague, but I think the key difference is in your viewers' reaction to the image. PJ tends to tell a story of some place, time, event, or person, and can elicit some emotional response from your viewer. It's why you find media outlets picking up shots like the ones you mention above—they grab the viewers' attention and spur an emotional reaction. Not everything PJ goes on in the street, and not everything going on in the street is PJ, but one can certainly be the other.
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010

Is it the randomness, or is it taking something that might end up in the paper, like the end of a championship game, or someone getting pulled over for speeding?

There are all sorts of possibilities. You might check out the Missouri Photo Workshops that the University of Missouri's School of Journalism sponsors every year. These focus on photojournalism in rural Missouri, but they show how wide and varied the genre is. You might also just peruse the Missouri Photojournalism site itself and look at examples. Of course, there are other universities with photojournalism degrees, but none quite as good as Mizzou (my alma mater!). :photo

Photojournalism is not just about capturing big public "news events."
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers