Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #42 (Photojournalism - Exclusive Black and White Challenge)

Comments

• Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    There are all sorts of possibilities. You might check out the Missouri Photo Workshops that the University of Missouri's School of Journalism sponsors every year. These focus on photojournalism in rural Missouri, but they show how wide and varied the genre is. You might also just peruse the Missouri Photojournalism site itself and look at examples. Of course, there are other universities with photojournalism degrees, but none quite as good as Mizzou (my alma mater!). :photo

Photojournalism is not just about capturing big public "news events."

Thanks for posting that Jeff...I particularly enjoy viewing the 2009 one. I grew up in Hillsboro, but went to a private high school in Crystal City and spent most of my teenage days running around or working in Festus/Crystal City. I particularly like the main street USA one, when we all got liscensed we would cruise that street every weekend, blasting our stereos and hollering at all the cute boys. Yes, we were very cool. thumb.gif Also came across a photo of my old high school priest..man, he was an awesome guy. And in the Teacher of Note story...that is my homeroom/english/history of rock and roll teacher! Still in the same classroom even. He was my favorite teacher of all time. what a blast from the past! Really enjoyed these, again thanks for posting that link!!

I think i will check them out for 2010!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Kerry, what's the On High verdict on diptych/triptych/storyboards for this one - allowable?
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    Kerry, what's the On High verdict on diptych/triptych/storyboards for this one - allowable?

I thought about the same thing rolleyes1.gif I personally think that it's very much allowable...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    divamum wrote:

Im betting this will be a popular thing to do this round... just remember the spacing between each shot... was it 1 pixel wide spacing I think? reading is to hard for me, somebody go look.....:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    divamum wrote:

Always allowable, but as Aaron cautions, keep an eye on that spacing. mwink.gif
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    dp pro magazine
    hey folks.
    my favorite photo magazine is called digital photo pro. dec 09 issue has an article on antonin kratchovil (sp?), one of the best known photojournalists.

also, their web site has lots of pj stuff, including an article on the former l.a. times director of photography, here:
    http://www.digitalphotopro.com/profiles/larry-armstrong-a-beginners-mind.html

cheers,
    mark;)
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2010
    liflander wrote:
    hey folks.
    my favorite photo magazine is called digital photo pro. dec 09 issue has an article on antonin kratchovil (sp?), one of the best known photojournalists.

also, their web site has lots of pj stuff, including an article on the former l.a. times director of photography, here:
    http://www.digitalphotopro.com/profiles/larry-armstrong-a-beginners-mind.html

cheers,
    mark;)

Very nice - thank you for sharing thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Hopefully this doesn't just become about hard-hitting news stories. Don't forget Street, Documentary and Candids as well.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Hopefully this doesn't just become about hard-hitting news stories. Don't forget Street, Documentary and Candids as well.

i think the line between all of these distinctions is blurred, especially when you see high-end work like antonin kratchovil's. in some instances, its all of the above at once.

mary ellen mark, sebastiao salgado, i'm just thinking out loud here....google any of these names to see images.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    There are all sorts of possibilities. You might check out the Missouri Photo Workshops that the University of Missouri's School of Journalism sponsors every year. These focus on photojournalism in rural Missouri, but they show how wide and varied the genre is. You might also just peruse the Missouri Photojournalism site itself and look at examples. Of course, there are other universities with photojournalism degrees, but none quite as good as Mizzou (my alma mater!). :photo

Photojournalism is not just about capturing big public "news events."

Thanks for the links, Jeff! Very enjoyable.
  • Options
    Mad CatMad Cat Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Big Black and White Question
    Is it acceptable to use Alien Skin to convert a color image to Tmax, TriX, or whatever, & play around with the adjustments, or would that count as a "filter" and DQ an image? w/mc
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    Mad Cat wrote:
    Is it acceptable to use Alien Skin to convert a color image to Tmax, TriX, or whatever, & play around with the adjustments, or would that count as a "filter" and DQ an image? w/mc

As long as it doesn't introduce any color toning, you should be fine.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    BTW, the January issue of Rangefinder is coincidentally timely for this challenge. mwink.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Go to Haiti. Everything else will be trivial by comparison.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    michswiss wrote:

thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    I also find this to be a very interesting site:

http://greatphotojournalism.com/
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    KianKian Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Hi Kerry, i'am afraid i made a mistake and uploaded pictures meant for my own album into the challenge gallery. Please ignore and delete those pictures. Sorry for the inconvenience caused, my bad!!
    Visit my smugsite: http://kian.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Wow, don't I feel like an idiot. Somehow, some way, I uploaded two photos unintentionally. I apologize for my stupidity. Please delete them if possible. Again, my apologies. The incorrect uploads will be quite self explanatory.

:smack
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    No worries. All fixed. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Does the shot have to include people?

Some folks are posting shots that do not include people, but if you read threads on the the 'Street & PJ' forum (which are really informative!), it would suggest that PJ basically means that a person or people are the subject of the photo.

Can you please clarify this point for this challenge?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    liflander wrote:
    Does the shot have to include people?

Some folks are posting shots that do not include people, but if you read threads on the the 'Street & PJ' forum (which are really informative!), it would suggest that PJ basically means that a person or people are the subject of the photo.

Can you please clarify this point for this challenge?

Thanks,
    Mark

PJ, Street or Doco doesn't require people per se. I think an excellent example is one of Liz's recent shots of the stairs. Very expressive and very much Street.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    People are not required.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    People are not required.

Not required, for sure, but they add a lot to this style of photography. The great PJ shot without people is relatively rare. People increase the degree of difficulty and greatly increase excitement and sense of immediacy. If you are uncomfortable shooting strangers in public, this is a good opportunity to try to grow out of that limitation. Challenge yourself to get close, to go to events where people are expressing themselves. A Tea Party, a town meeting.

I'm no good at dgrin challenges, but I hope this one will be judged in the spirit of the PJ, documentary, and street tradition.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Not required, for sure, but they add a lot to this style of photography. The great PJ shot without people is relatively rare. People increase the degree of difficulty and greatly increase excitement and sense of immediacy. If you are uncomfortable shooting strangers in public, this is a good opportunity to try to grow out of that limitation. Challenge yourself to get close, to go to events where people are expressing themselves. A Tea Party, a town meeting.

I'm no good at dgrin challenges, but I hope this one will be judged in the spirit of the PJ, documentary, and street tradition.

I've been trying to get back into them but this one just came at a perfect time. I'm hoping to get a rally tomorrow then find out the big places for Tuesday.
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    On the no posed shots what about political rallies since you are not having them pose but at the site of a camera they break into one....and well are pretty much trying to pose for maximum attention the whole time.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    A story
    Long ago, Harry hosted a Challenge, For The Birds. It was clear as day in his mind that he wanted the challenge to be about bird photography for crying out loud. And bird photography is a difficult discipline, one that requires a lot of dedication. I think it's even possible that we've had a dgrin member die in the pursuit of bird pictures. For real.

So, wise guy that I am, I went to the local natural history museum and took a picture of a stuffed dodo or Carolina parakeet or some such and entered it. I thought it was clever, but in retrospect, I think Harry thought that I didn't really respect what he was up to.

I searched a bit, but couldn't find the post, so my memory will have to do.

I wanted to recall this incident by way of explaining the blunt critique I've been giving to the challenge entries. I love this type of photography and really want people to "get it". It's very hard and sometimes even emotionally challenging. It can require getting close to strangers who are in the midst of strong emotions. That's not polite. It can even get you in trouble. (Believe me, I've been there.)

So, please, don't take me too personally. They call this a "Challenge" and I want to see people challenge themselves on this one particularly.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Rutt,

I think your ctritiques have been right on. I just looked through the challenge gallery and all but a few of the shots fit the theme of PJ. Most of them are just nice B&W photos.

I really want to enter a photo in this challenge because it would require me to get out of the house, out of my comfort zone and go shoot something happening out in the world. Weather has been really sucky here in Southern California... well, that's relative of course. But I hope to get out at least one day this week to see if I can capture something worthy of the theme.

But again, I think most of the shots are not PJ that I have seen so far. And I don't believe the theme is too difficult to interpret.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Rutt,

I think your ctritiques have been right on. I just looked through the challenge gallery and all but a few of the shots fit the theme of PJ. Most of them are just nice B&W photos.

I really want to enter a photo in this challenge because it would require me to get out of the house, out of my comfort zone and go shoot something happening out in the world. Weather has been really sucky here in Southern California... well, that's relative of course. But I hope to get out at least one day this week to see if I can capture something worthy of the theme.

But again, I think most of the shots are not PJ that I have seen so far. And I don't believe the theme is too difficult to interpret.

I totally agree. But you never know what the judges will interpret each photo as. I can only hope that they think PJ and not pleasant images. Good luck in your search Cuban. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D