Options

Unposed / 2009

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Flowerman wrote:
    One last comment - the more complex we make the book - adding bios, etc. the greater the chance for error and conflict among contributors as to how much of a bio was included for each. - I STRONGLY suggest that full concentration be on QUALITY photo display. IMHO a coffee table book should be one where the viewer is wowed by the photos and not have to spend time reading about the photographer.
    ED

I don't really want to make any money from this, but there is a small per-book profit thrown in at this point. $5. I did that because otherwise the book preview won't show all the pages (go figure.) In the final version, I'll try to reduce as much as possible while still keeping full preview. Then whatever profit there is, I'll try to figure out a good use for (maybe buy a few copies for people who really can't afford it?, take B.D. out for coffee, bribe the Challenge judges, something public spirited like that.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    I don't really want to make any money from this, but there is a small per-book profit thrown in at this point. $5. I did that because otherwise the book preview won't show all the pages (go figure.) In the final version, I'll try to reduce as much as possible while still keeping full preview. Then whatever profit there is, I'll try to figure out a good use for (maybe buy a few copies for people who really can't afford it?, take B.D. out for coffee, bribe the Challenge judges, something public spirited like that.)
    I think I'd just keep the extra cash to pay for the proof book(s). I doubt you'll make enough to balance your costs.
    Travis
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I'd likely get the Soft covered version myself. And likely so for any family members that buy, too.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    New rev here.

There is at least one more to come. One photographer owes me non-watermarked images which I will supposedly get by Monday (or else.)

All feedback welcome. Nits (text fonts, color not consistent. Spelling. Typos) greatly appreciated.

Especially check the dedication and quotation page. I feel it needs work, both in terms of layout and content. And what exactly is that tradition? Maybe it should say "realistic but deep people photography"?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Hey Rutt,

My last name ends in an S not a Z.

Thanks
    rutt wrote:
    New rev here.

There is at least one more to come. One photographer owes me non-watermarked images which I will supposedly get by Monday (or else.)

All feedback welcome. Nits (text fonts, color not consistent. Spelling. Typos) greatly appreciated.

Especially check the dedication and quotation page. I feel it needs work, both in terms of layout and content. And what exactly is that tradition? Maybe it should say "realistic but deep people photography"?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 13, 2010
    rutt wrote:

On the cover and page 1, the title should be Street & PJ, not the reverse.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    damonff wrote:
    Hey Rutt,

My last name ends in an S not a Z.

Thanks

Got it. Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    On the cover and page 1, the title should be Street & PJ, not the reverse.

Thoth will have to produce a new cover and then I can change the other text.

I wish it were the other way...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Thoth will have to produce a new cover and then I can change the other text.

I wish it were the other way...
    I'm on it! :D
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    OK, you wordsmiths, can anyone improve on this:
    For B.D. Colen who challenged us to be both honest and interesting, to get ever closer to our subjects often at the expense of our comfort, and who fiercely represents the tradition of artistic but realistic photography of human beings.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    For B.D. Colen who challenged us to be both honest and interesting, to get ever closer to our subjects often at the expense of our comfort, and who fiercely represents the tradition of artistic but realistic photography of human beings.

B.D.'s not dead so no "For..." I know what I'd like to say and hopefully it works for the community. Just need to work on it a bit. I'll post a draft of something in the morning, my time.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    B.D.'s not dead so no "For..." I know what I'd like to say and hopefully it works for the community. Just need to work on it a bit. I'll post a draft of something in the morning, my time.

Is that true? No "For" in dedications to living people. Well, live and learn. Could be "To", though? Yes?

Anyway, I'd love help with this.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010

Salman Rushdie's original dedication in "The Satanic Verses," for example, was "For Marianne." But Mr. Rushdie has been in hiding since 1989, when Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini condemned the book and called for the writer's execution. Fearing reprisals, the publisher, Viking-Penguin, indefinitely postponed the paperback. Mr. Rushdie also began a difficult divorce from his wife, Marianne Wiggins, of the original dedication.

So at least Rushdie thought a dedication to a living person could start with "For".
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    My 2 cents worth .............
    With thanks to B.D. Colen who continually challenges us to get closer to our subjects, be both honest and interesting and continue the tradition of artistic and realistic photography.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    rutt wrote:

Just a suggestion:

"For B.D. Colen, our Street-PJ forum artist-in-residence. B.D. fiercely promotes the tradition of artistic but realistic photography of our fellow man. He challenges us to leave our comfort zones and get ever closer to our subjects. Most importantly, by example and by giving generously of his time to the forum, he encourages us to produce work that is not only honest but compelling.

Virginia

Having seen Syncopation's version, I am reminded that brevity is the soul of .... Short and to the point. My vote goes with the wittier version.

Email
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    I think the title on page 8 should be "Working Dogs", not "Walking Dogs". I remember being amused by it.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    I think the title on page 8 should be "Working Dogs", not "Walking Dogs". I remember being amused by it.
    "Working Dogs" is what is says here.

Much mo betta!thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Go with Syncopation's acknowledgement. I'm glad I fell asleep when I did.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    With thanks to B.D. Colen who continually challenges us to get closer to our subjects, be both honest and interesting and continue the tradition of artistic and realistic photography.

Yeah, this is really nice and succinct. I'd like to work in the human part, but offhand, it seems hard to do this and maintain the perfection.

Oh and I liked "fierce". But so what?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010

Rutt, does this help? Suggested changes in brackets.

"With thanks to B.D. Colen [whose fierce commitment] continually challenges us to get closer to our subjects, [to] be honest and [compelling] in capturing the human condition and [to] continue to ....."

I understand the reason for omitting the "to" before the last two clauses. Nevertheless, I think that it is easier to read the dedication if the "to" is repeated because so many relatively complex thoughts are being strung together.

Personally, even if no other changes are made to Syncopation's excellent brevity, I would like to find a word other than "interesting," as it is a response that all artists dread. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Rutt, does this help? Suggested changes in brackets.

"With thanks to B.D. Colen [whose fierce commitment] continually challenges us to get closer to our subjects, [to] be honest and [compelling] in capturing the human condition and [to] continue to ....."

I understand the reason for omitting the "to" before the last two clauses. Nevertheless, I think that it is easier to read the dedication if the "to" is repeated because so many relatively complex thoughts are being strung together.

Personally, even if no other changes are made to Syncopation's excellent brevity, I would like to find a word other than "interesting," as it is a response that all artists dread. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

My take on the acknowledgment.

"With thanks to B.D. Colen whose fierce commitment continually challenges us to get closer, to capture the human condition with honest and curious eyes, while continuing the tradition of street, documentary and candid photography."
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Jenn, Virginia, good input. Very. "human condition" is good. "interesting" is bad.

Hmm.
    For B.D. Colen who continually challenges us to get closer to our subjects, to be honest and provocative in presenting the human condition, and to continue the tradition of artistic and realistic photography.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    I don't believe that street and PJ is only about the human condition. Remember BD's photo of the cat watching birds out of the window? I'm also not convinced that all photos need to be provocative. They are first and foremost about communication and representation.

My dedication was stripped down deliberately to allow the reader to place the photos in their own personal context. [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]As Ansel Adams said There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. [/FONT]

Our photos are interesting and we shouldn't be afraid to acknowledge that fact clap.gif
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    I always prefer a bit of wit in my dedications. So, to that end:

"For B.D. Colen, without whom this book would be much further away."
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    I was also thinking about thanking the dgrin & smugmug people and especially Richard. But I'm about out of brain cells for this so I'm soliciting ideas.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    thoth wrote:

Oh my!! That is just wonderful. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Oh my!! That is just wonderful. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia
    Thanks! clap.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thoth

Get's my vote thumb.gif

I'd still change "For" to "With thanks to"
    Syncopation

• Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    thoth wrote:

I slept on this for a couple nights and I do love this. There is so much I'd like to say, but maybe that belongs in the dedication of my book.

I'll resolve "for" vs "to" or "with thanks to" or something. I'll look in some of the books lying around for inspiration and precedents.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    I slept on this for a couple nights and I do love this. There is so much I'd like to say, but maybe that belongs in the dedication of my book.

I'll resolve "for" vs "to" or "with thanks to" or something. I'll look in some of the books lying around for inspiration and precedents.

Go with "With thanks to" as that's the sentiment I would express. B.D. is a part of the community as well, so thanks are in order. I know I'd said earlier that "For" was reserved for those that have past away. Maybe too singular in definition. But it is also commonly used for those that are extremely familiar or close to the Author. I'll wait to use that one for a while. mwink.gif