Unposed / 2009

1235»

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    rutt,
    So is the final version of this book available for sale now?? Looking forward to purchasing a copy!

Please include a Softcover version for sale on the final.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Here is the status. I got a couple of proof books. The first one had issues. I've been too busy to evaluate the second one yet, but I'll do that this weekend.

The first book that will be available is large landscape size (13x11 inches) which is really really nice. Some of the shots which I didn't love on my monitor look much better in that larger sized print. Unfortunately this is available hardcover only; the only option is dust cover vs no dust cover. It's $78.

In order to produce the smaller sized landscape book (10x8 inches), I basically have to start over. This isn't really as daunting as it sounds, I have all the final images, the layout, the graphic design. But there is no automation available to alter the book I have. So it's a lot of dog work, unless I can find some magic. I think it could be done in few hours of boring work. Once done, the softcover would be available for $35.

Travis has sort of offered to do the conversion, but I haven't figured out a good way to set up collaboration. I thought I saw a Book Smart option for this, but can't find it now.

So that's the status.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 26, 2010
    Rutt,

Thanks for the update. I can wait. I'm sure the Hard cover edition is worth it for some, but I'm a softcover book person. I almost never by a hard cover edition of anything, these days.

ANd I am sure any other sales you might get to those interested in the book but did not participate would be more like to get a softcover than a hard. IME.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Rutt,

Thanks for the update. I can wait. I'm sure the Hard cover edition is worth it for some, but I'm a softcover book person. I almost never by a hard cover edition of anything, these days.

ANd I am sure any other sales you might get to those interested in the book but did not participate would be more like to get a softcover than a hard. IME.

Don

I agree with Don - softcover for me. Can't wait to show the GrandKids (3yrs and 6yrs)- what is on my computer is in a book.
    ED

www.Photoman74.smugmug.com
    edited March 5, 2010
    Flowerman wrote:
    I agree with Don - softcover for me. Can't wait to show the GrandKids (3yrs and 6yrs)- what is on my computer is in a book.
    ED

I have to say after a number of us, from the very beginning stated we would like a lower price softcover version of this book, that there is none yet available. I would even take the current version, opened for softcover availability.

I have a blurb book listed in my signature that is available in all styles, no extra work. Why is that not the case here???

Don
    edited March 9, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    I have to say after a number of us, from the very beginning stated we would like a lower price softcover version of this book, that there is none yet available. I would even take the current version, opened for softcover availability.

I have a blurb book listed in my signature that is available in all styles, no extra work. Why is that not the case here???

Don
    I feel like I and some others have been left out in the cold, here!

:(

Don
    edited March 9, 2010
    Jeez, just be patient. Nobody is paying me to do this. If you want to, please take it from here. I want to make everyone happy, but I do have a life.

The current status is that I'm not happy with the proof books I got back. Lots of images look overinked. I have a plan, but I've been busy.

Jeez.
    If not now, when?
    edited March 9, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Jeez, just be patient. Nobody is paying me to do this. If you want to, please take it from here. I want to make everyone happy, but I do have a life.

The current status is that I'm not happy with the proof books I got back. Lots of images look overinked. I have a plan, but I've been busy.

Jeez.
    Thanks you for keeping us in the info loop. That is a much as we can ask, along with what has all ready been asked.

We're all busy, but not knowing doesn't help.

Thank you for all your effort. It wont go to waste.

Don
  • dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Looking forward to purchasing this book when it is completed. I am fascinated to watch this progress from an idea to a completed draft. The collaboration demonstrated and the fruition of the efforts from Rutt, et al has been a treat.
    Duke
    edited April 5, 2010
    OK, I'm embarrassed by how long it's taken me, but I have some reasonable excuses including but not limited to a new job.

I have finally gotten around to trying to fine tune 14 of the images which were overinked in my last proof book and am submitting an order for another proof book. I should get that in a week or so, but I'll be away on business until at least the 24th of April. After that, I'll compare the fine-tuned versions with the versions from the old proof book and just take one or the other for a final large sized book. I promise not to do anything else at all for the final large sized book.

That leaves the issue of a small book which can be ordered in softcover and which will cost about $30 instead of about $80. Doing this entails a lot of busy work. There is just no other way to do it other than to start from scratch and make the book from the images and type in all the same text, formatting, &etc. What if someone else stepped up to the plate for this part of the project?
    If not now, when?
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Looks great to me! It's nice to see some Boston guys here. I'd love to go out shooting, if anyone's interested.
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
    edited April 24, 2010
    Hooray!! I got back a proof book that looks good and I declare it final! You can see/order it here.

This is only the large size / hard cover book. We need a volunteer to redo in the smaller size so an inexpensive soft cover will be available. Since the prepress work is done and the titles/authors are done, this won't be that much work; however, I have started a new job and I am not going to do it. If you are interested in undertaking this task, please drop me an email (not a PM!)
    If not now, when?
    edited April 24, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Hooray!! I got back a proof book that looks good and I declare it final! You can see/order it here.

This is only the large size / hard cover book. We need a volunteer to redo in the smaller size so an inexpensive soft cover will be available. Since the prepress work is done and the titles/authors are done, this won't be that much work; however, I have started a new job and I am not going to do it. If you are interested in undertaking this task, please drop me an email (not a PM!)
    Just emailed you!

Don
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Thanks for all of your work on this rutt. It looks great!

Any recommendations re choosing image wrap vs. dust cover versions? It looks like there is no photo on the back so does the image wrap version wrap the front cover photo all the way around to the back?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited April 24, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Thanks for all of your work on this rutt. It looks great!

Any recommendations re choosing image wrap vs. dust cover versions? It looks like there is no photo on the back so does the image wrap version wrap the front cover photo all the way around to the back?

Get a dust cover. Looks great.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 26, 2010
    I am unable to view the latest edition - what am I doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 27, 2010
    Flowerman wrote:
    I am unable to view the latest edition - what am I doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dunno, but I can't see anything other than the cover either. I tried it in FF and Chrome but no luck. headscratch.gif
    edited May 3, 2010
    I received my copy today and I have to say it is..... GORGEOUS!!! Rutt has done a phenomenal job with this (no surprise there I'm sure). Thanks so much for all your work on this to ensure it showed our work off to best advantage. I'm so glad I went for the hard cover and dust sleeve.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
    edited May 4, 2010
    Error
    Patti wrote: »
    I received my copy today and I have to say it is..... GORGEOUS!!! Rutt has done a phenomenal job with this (no surprise there I'm sure). Thanks so much for all your work on this to ensure it showed our work off to best advantage. I'm so glad I went for the hard cover and dust sleeve.

Hi Patti: Have you noticed that there is an error in the book - when I looked at a preview I noticed that the same title appears for two of my pictures. I do not know if I am previewing the latest version or an older one - please advise.
    ED Siciliano
    P.S. The runner should have the title of" The Agony Of Defeet" and the lovers title is "Amourous".
    edited May 4, 2010
    Ed, rest assured. The captions for your wonderful photos are correct in the final version.

I've also noted that some shots that didn't really grab me on the site look really terrific in the book. I can't stop looking through all the captures. The colour mixes well with the B&W and I see so much more in the captures at this size and quality. I'm really proud to be included in such company.

patti hinton photography
    edited May 5, 2010
    Thanks Patti for the heads up - I am hoping for a soft cover edition - this old guy has to watch every penny.
    I am just back from viewing some of your galleries on SmugMug - great work - just love the Tulips. Your Street and PJ work is great, makes one stop and think - no quick glance and run. One point - you have many in B&W shots, are they flim and scanned or color digital converted to B&W?
    Ed
    edited May 5, 2010
    Ed, I'll send a pm so we don't get hauled off to jail for being OT on the thread. mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
    edited May 5, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    Thanks Patti for the heads up - I am hoping for a soft cover edition - this old guy has to watch every penny.

Ed
    I PMed Rutt on this. Never got a reply. Edit: Sorry, meant emailed, as requested!

ne_nau.gif

Don
    edited May 5, 2010
    rutt must be mucho busy with the new job. I've not seen Travis around in awhile either.

patti hinton photography
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Somehow I missed that the book was ready in the hard cover version.

I'll be ordering mine as soon as I get home in early June.

Can't wait!! Patti, you have whetted my appetite. Thank you.

Virginia

Email
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    rutt must be mucho busy with the new job. I've not seen Travis around in awhile either.
    I, like Rutt, also started a new job not long ago so life has been full of activity recently. I'm hoping that things will smooth out over the next month. If so, and if it hasn't been done yet, I'll pick up the work Rutt has done and see about getting a soft cover version done.

I hate to keep everyone waiting for the next version but I just can't find the time to get into it just now. I do check in an read what's going on fairly regularly so hopefully I can stay on top of this thread until I get a chance to work on the book. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited May 5, 2010
    thoth wrote: »
    I, like Rutt, also started a new job not long ago so life has been full of activity recently. I'm hoping that things will smooth out over the next month. If so, and if it hasn't been done yet, I'll pick up the work Rutt has done and see about getting a soft cover version done.

I hate to keep everyone waiting for the next version but I just can't find the time to get into it just now. I do check in an read what's going on fairly regularly so hopefully I can stay on top of this thread until I get a chance to work on the book. thumb.gif

Good to hear you're still around Travis. I for one, have missed your input, both photographs and opinions. Good luck with the new job.

patti hinton photography
    edited May 5, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Somehow I missed that the book was ready in the hard cover version.

I'll be ordering mine as soon as I get home in early June.

Can't wait!! Patti, you have whetted my appetite. Thank you.

Virginia

I posted a reply but it's disappeared. headscratch.gif I can't wait to hear what you and others who purchase it think.

patti hinton photography