Options

Unposed / 2009

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    A very good writer once happily admitted to me that he had "cancer of the semicolons."
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    A very good writer once happily admitted to me that he had "cancer of the semicolons."
    rolleyes1.gif

I think I am starting to see where Jen is coming from with regards to using 'For.' It does seem to indicate that the dedication is to someone very close. It does make sense that you, Rutt, find the sentiment to be appropriate while those who do not know him personally find it a little too personal. I used it in my version of the dedication solely because it was one word instead of three. :D
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    Cancer of the semicolons continued...
    Dedicated to B.D. Colen. Without his vision, this book would have been much further away.
    This book is dedicated to B.D. Colen. Without his vision, it would be much further away.
    This book is dedicated to B.D. Colen whose vision brought it much closer.

Now I'm wondering about changing that Dylan quotation to Robert Capa's classic, "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." We wouldn't be the first people to use that quotation, though.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Cancer of the semicolons continued...
    Dedicated to B.D. Colen. Without his vision, this book would have been much further away.
    This book is dedicated to B.D. Colen. Without his vision, it would be much further away.
    This book is dedicated to B.D. Colen whose vision brought it much closer.

Now I'm wondering about changing that Dylan quotation to Robert Capa's classic, "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." We wouldn't be the first people to use that quotation, though.
    Of these examples, I am leaning towards "Dedicated to..", which I think is a nice intro. I do think that the vision references dampen the wit of "much further away." Perhaps it's my inner Monty Python but I'm one for all serious or all humor (provided that humor actually insinuates the respect and appreciation intended in the dedication, of course).

That said, I'm horrible at seeing meaningful changes in things I write. I've never had the cancer for my own "artistic" work (to include my photography). So, I'll leave the revision of my dedication to those of you who can see more clearly than myself. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    Oh, and I say leave the Dylan quote. We don't want to be too overly redundant with our redundancy by using a redundant quotation.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    New revision available here.

I hope this is the final (large size) revision. I have ordered a proof from it. Feedback solicited.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    New revision available here.

I hope this is the final (large size) revision. I have ordered a proof from it. Feedback solicited.
    Discussion not showing up in this thread:
    I'm keen for us to make use of the back cover. How about a list of our names in alphabetical order running down the centre of the page e.g.

Photographs by:

Lisa Alarcon-Arocena
    Gary T. Asbury
    Virginia Bonesteel
    Trish Casey-Green
    etc.

David

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 06:45 -0500, "Donald Ricklin" wrote:
    I fully agree with # 1& 2. Reverse the the order of what is under the images Caption - Photographer and a dash rather than slash!

It has already been pointed out that the Book title should have 'Street' first then PJ, And better yet 'Photo Journalism'.

#4, a link to the Forum section could be put in smaller type on page 2 above the Blurb logo.

#5 is absolutely true.

Coming along here!

Don

On Feb 16, 2010, at 5:56 AM, David Anthony Smith wrote:

I've finally had chance to look through in detail and have a couple of comments/observations

I'm not a fan of the '/' symbol in the title or in the captions. To me this represents and/or (see above) and breaks the flow of the text. I'd rather rather have 'Unposed - 2009' . This also applies to the photo captions. e.g. B.D.Colen - Pensive.
    Better still I'd prefer the captions to be Title - Photographer e.g. Pensive - B.D. Colen but still alphabetised (is that a word?) by photographer as they are now. In other words change the individual captions but keep the order of the photos the same.
    Should the sub title be 'by Digital Grin - Street & Photo Journalism Forum Members'? (The actual forum title is 'Street & PJ' (PJ may mean something to us but might not to others - PJ usually means pyjamas to most people !). If it remains as is, the order should be changed from PJ & Street to Stree & PJ
    How about putting a link to the forum on the back cover for example. 'Why not visit the Digital Grin - Street & Photo Journalism Forum at http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59'
    I think it's the responsibility of the contributors to check the accuracy of their own details
    Otherwise it's looking great !

Syncopation (David)
    -- David Anthony Smith

Is still would prefer a dash to a slash in the title!

And I like the idea of Something on the back of the cover!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Discussion not showing up in this thread:

Is still would prefer a dash to a slash in the title!

And I like the idea of Something on the back of the cover!

Don

Yeah, somehow I missed all these nits.
    1. Back cover designs are solicited (I was thinking we should have one.)
    2. Ditto for the slip cover flaps.
    3. The slash vs dash issue, well, I guess I like the slash so it will take a movement to get this changed. (And it really is cancer of the semicolons.)
    4. Title vs photographer first? I think that's a good idea and will implement it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    I would opt for a pipe symbol ( | ) between them before a dash (including title|photographer). But, I am not interested enough to suggest that the extra work be done.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    I would opt for a pipe symbol ( | ) between them before a dash (including title|photographer). But, I am not interested enough to suggest that the extra work be done.

Oh, man, your computer background is showing. We could just pipe the book through sed to make the changes, couldn't we?

Seriously, I like the slash, so there has to be real opposition for me to do the work to change it. Will we sell on more book if we do change it than if we don't? That would convince me!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Oh, man, your computer background is showing. We could just pipe the book through sed to make the changes, couldn't we?
    rolleyes1.gif
    rutt wrote:
    Seriously, I like the slash, so there has to be real opposition for me to do the work to change it. Will we sell on more book if we do change it than if we don't? That would convince me!
    That was the real point of what I was saying. The slash doesn't bother me enough to want it changed.
    Travis
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 16, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Yeah, somehow I missed all these nits.
    1. Back cover designs are solicited (I was thinking we should have one.)
    2. Ditto for the slip cover flaps.
    3. The slash vs dash issue, well, I guess I like the slash so it will take a movement to get this changed. (And it really is cancer of the semicolons.)
    4. Title vs photographer first? I think that's a good idea and will implement it.

Don't forget the spine as well, assuming that's printable.
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    The book is looking good!!!!

I like the slash, I like the title before artist-- I won't buy/not buy based on such an issue....

Will the book be available in both hard and soft and different sizes?

You've done a fabulous job of it so far, I think!! Thanks~
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    No ideas for back cover or dust cover flaps? I've had some unsuitable (but funny to me) ideas. Liz's fraudulent dgrin press pass, stamped "REVOKED" and titled "Not Even in Your Dreams". Err, forget I said that, probably only funny to me. But maybe it will provoke someone else to come up with an idea and get it out of my irresponsible hands.

I have interchanged the titles and photographers throughout, tweaked a photo here and there by request of the photographer, and will upload soon and post a link here.

Tina is bothered by the juxtaposition of the word "Unposed" in the title and Damon's excellent portrait (which looks posed) on the cover. This hadn't occurred to me and it still doesn't bother me. Opinions?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    No ideas for back cover or dust cover flaps? I've had some unsuitable (but funny to me) ideas. Liz's fraudulent dgrin press pass, stamped "REVOKED" and titled "Not Even in Your Dreams". Err, forget I said that, probably only funny to me. But maybe it will provoke someone else to come up with an idea and get it out of my irresponsible hands.
    Now that would be funny (until Richard arrived on your doorstep with a bat). I haven't had much time the last couple days for fun stuff but I'll see if I can think something up over the next couple days.
    rutt wrote:
    I have interchanged the titles and photographers throughout, tweaked a photo here and there by request of the photographer, and will upload soon and post a link here.
    thumb.gif
    rutt wrote:
    Tina is bothered by the juxtaposition of the word "Unposed" in the title and Damon's excellent portrait (which looks posed) on the cover. This hadn't occurred to me and it still doesn't bother me. Opinions?
    Doesn't bother me at all.
    Travis
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:

How about web addresses to each of our web galleries on the back flap? Is there enough room?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    How about web addresses to each of our web galleries on the back flap? Is there enough room?

Excellent suggestion. It would be even better if it could include the photographer's name and one thumbnail from each.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Aught to be, even if tinyurls are not needed. rolleyes1.gif

Got a link to a changed version, or waiting for more before another blurb iteration? thumb.gif

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Excellent suggestion. It would be even better if it could include the photographer's name and one thumbnail from each.
    My choice of a thumbnail for my set would be the Father/Son as the most readable when small. Might even slip in page number(s) so it would be an 'index'.thumb.gif

Don
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    Andrew (adbsgicom) PM'd me with a great suggestion of putting a photo of a Leica (class street camera) on the back of the book. This got my wheels turning towards a collage of classic street cameras (versus just a Leica which may be a little cliché).

So how about a photograph of a 'generic' street photographer? What should we see when we're photographed by a street photographer? A big hunk of glass in our face? :) I'm reminded of Rutt's recent photo of Virginia. Does anyone have a nice 'generic' photo of a photographer as non-brand-specific as possible?

Thoughts?
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    Andrew (adbsgicom) PM'd me with a great suggestion of putting a photo of a Leica (class street camera) on the back of the book. This got my wheels turning towards a collage of classic street cameras (versus just a Leica which may be a little cliché).

<insert Travis' deranged thought evolution here>

So how about a photograph of a 'generic' street photographer? What should we see when we're photographed by a street photographer? A big hunk of glass in our face? :) I'm reminded of Rutt's recent photo of Virginia. Does anyone have a nice 'generic' photo of a photographer as non-brand-specific as possible?

Thoughts?
    Personally I'd prefer the List of Photogs, thumbnails, page(s) and SM URLs!

Don
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Personally I'd prefer the List of Photogs, thumbnails, page(s) and SM URLs!

Don
    On the back cover of a book? headscratch.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:

How about a Pugg's bum. I'll even let Richard crop it. It is the ass end of a book after all.
    754084802_KWRk9-L.jpg

Please forgive me for this transgression rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    Does anyone have a nice 'generic' photo of a photographer as non-brand-specific as possible?

Thoughts?
    780120035_yfaSC-S.jpg

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    780120035_yfaSC-S.jpg

lol3.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    How about a Pugg's bum. I'll even let Richard crop it. It is the ass end of a book after all.
    754084802_KWRk9-L.jpg

Please forgive me for this transgression rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    For this sort of Collaborative book it could be innovative as well as handy for going to just where you want in the book!

I read a lot of all kinds of books and there is no end to the variety of ways one can do them! :D

Don
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    For this sort of Collaborative book it could be innovative as well as handy for going to just where you want in the book!

I read a lot of all kinds of books and there is no end to the variety of ways one can do them! :D

Don
    I don't deny that a collection of portfolio links would be incredibly useful. I just don't see it on the back cover. I could see it on the inside of the back cover (or the flap of the dust cover, etc.), however.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    Richard wrote:

Somebody else is going to have to do this if it's going to happen. I expended my graphic design reserves for the month.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    I don't deny that a collection of portfolio links would be incredibly useful. I just don't see it on the back cover. I could see it on the inside of the back cover (or the flap of the dust cover, etc.), however.
    Inside flaps works, but only for the slipcover version. There will be those who buy one of the other styles.

Do we have any spare single inside pages. Even at the back?

Don