Options

SmugMug + iPad

Comments

• Options
    brickbrick Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    I bought an iPad for my wife, and love that she can see our archived photos on such a great screen, but the inability to view the galleries as they are on the website is a huge bummer. I have all of our pictures set up chronologically on SmugMug, but when she logs in on the iPad she sees a bunch of options which may or may not grab the subject she wants.

Analogy alert: Sometimes she would just like to roll the screen gradually through our last months/years like looking at a photo album. Instead she's looking at a shelf of boxes with subject labels taped to the front.

Thanks for the amazing website!
  • Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 16, 2010
    Smugmug + iPad = LOVE!!
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    brick wrote: »
    I bought an iPad for my wife, and love that she can see our archived photos on such a great screen, but the inability to view the galleries as they are on the website is a huge bummer. I have all of our pictures set up chronologically on SmugMug, but when she logs in on the iPad she sees a bunch of options which may or may not grab the subject she wants.

Analogy alert: Sometimes she would just like to roll the screen gradually through our last months/years like looking at a photo album. Instead she's looking at a shelf of boxes with subject labels taped to the front.

Thanks for the amazing website!

Have you tried the SmugMug app? It is very powerful and I use it quite a bit. A suggestion though the first time you sync make sure you are on WiFi and not 3G - DAMHIK, IJK.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    brickbrick Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Have you tried the SmugMug app? It is very powerful and I use it quite a bit. A suggestion though the first time you sync make sure you are on WiFi and not 3G - DAMHIK, IJK.

Thanks for the kind reply! Yes, I wasn't specific enough. I am indeed using the SmugMug app, and it is the SmugMug app on which I would like to view galleries as they are listed on my SmugMug page. This works without issue on the SmugMug Android app. The iPad app looks great though!
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Shizam wrote: »
    I totally agree and am working on a 'settings' panel to set application wide settings like how items are ordered.

Sam

any update on this?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    mtnbiker wrote: »
    any update on this?

Not yet. When we have it, it'll be sent out via the App Store and we'll also announce it on http://news.smugmug.com
  • Options
    beijingvideoLewisSandlerbeijingvideoLewisSandler Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Smug Mug Ipad App
    Lot's of complaints in Itunes after January 2011 about Ipad free App for Smug Mug. I have deleted and reinstalled several times but cant login. It crashed if I try to login. Any ideas when this bug will be fixed?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    beijingvideoLewisSandlerbeijingvideoLewisSandler Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    What?
    wifi & 3G would more convenient in every where

I have no idea what you mean..Please explain ..
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    WiFi where you have the WiFi access. 3G where you do not have WiFi access alone or via other means such as iPhone tethering or other mobile hotspot devices.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    This is no solution.
    RogersDA wrote: »
    WiFi where you have the WiFi access. 3G where you do not have WiFi access alone or via other means such as iPhone tethering or other mobile hotspot devices.

Is this a solution to fix the problem with the SmugMug App for Ipad? I dont think so. We are asking SmugMug to fix the bugs in the Ipad App in Itunes so we can actually use the App. This problem is not related to using Wifi or 3G which i can already use.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    Is this a solution to fix the problem with the SmugMug App for Ipad? I dont think so. We are asking SmugMug to fix the bugs in the Ipad App in Itunes so we can actually use the App. This problem is not related to using Wifi or 3G which i can already use.

You stated "I have no idea what you mean..Please explain .." with regard to WiFi and 3G. I logically assumed you had no idea what the difference was between WiFi and 3G. Perhaps you should have been a lot more clear about what you needed explained to you.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    RogersDA wrote: »
    You stated "I have no idea what you mean..Please explain .." with regard to WiFi and 3G. I logically assumed you had no idea what the difference was between WiFi and 3G. Perhaps you should have been a lot more clear about what you needed explained to you.

Your assumption is based on the fact that you didn't read the beginning of the thread where i asked about fixing the IPad SmugMug App in Itunes and someone responded that I should use Wifi and 3G. That response has no relevance to my post about the Itunes SmugMug App and that response is what I was questioning.
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Been a long time since I have had any issues with the app, in fact the only issues I can remember ever having had were not an issue of the app, but and issue of my poor internet connection. Are you confident that you are receiving a strong signal (wifi or 3g)?

And in the FWIW department.

RogersDA "assumption" well, I don't see why you would be so defensive, he was trying to help. Your post was pretty clear.
    Originally Posted by joysupplier.com viewpost.gif
    wifi & 3G would more convenient in every where
    I have no idea what you mean..Please explain ..
    Duke
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    dixonduke wrote: »
    Been a long time since I have had any issues with the app, in fact the only issues I can remember ever having had were not an issue of the app, but and issue of my poor internet connection. Are you confident that you are receiving a strong signal (wifi or 3g)?

And in the FWIW department.

RogersDA "assumption" well, I don't see why you would be so defensive, he was trying to help. Your post was pretty clear.

It's not just me having problems with this App.. In Itunes there are many complaints about this App.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    It's not just me having problems with this App.. In Itunes there are many complaints about this App.

Could you elaborate more specifically on what your problems with the app are, maybe there are some of us who are able to help.

What IOS are you running, current is 4.3.1, have you JB'd your iPad?

Have you "rebooted" your iPad?

Do you have a strong internet signal (wifi or 3G)?
    Duke
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    dixonduke wrote: »
    Could you elaborate more specifically on what your problems with the app are, maybe there are some of us who are able to help.

What IOS are you running, current is 4.3.1, have you JB'd your iPad? yes

Have you "rebooted" your iPad? yes, many times. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled App and all photos several times.

Do you have a strong internet signal (wifi or 3G)?
    yes. I have no problems with signal.

Cant login . When I attempt to it crashes , similar problem as other people complaining. I have emailed SmugMug. They replied they know about the problem and are addressing it but that was more than a month ago. Was hoping someone from SmugMug in this Forum has any updated relevant information.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I don't have any such problems using the app, and I use it on my iPad (and my wife's) nearly every day.

What I want is an app that will let me upload pictures to Smugmug from the iPad.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    Your assumption is based on the fact that you didn't read the beginning of the thread where i asked about fixing the IPad SmugMug App in Itunes and someone responded that I should use Wifi and 3G. That response has no relevance to my post about the Itunes SmugMug App and that response is what I was questioning.
    I am sorry I assumed, based on the 9 word snippet that you quoted from a mod-deleted post, that you didn't know squat about WiFi and 3G.

Now that I realize that I was totally in the wrong here I will let you get back to getting real help from those that understand the issues.

Again, my apologies and I do hope that your app crashing is fixed.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2011

Cant login . When I attempt to it crashes , similar problem as other people complaining. I have emailed SmugMug. They replied they know about the problem and are addressing it but that was more than a month ago. Was hoping someone from SmugMug in this Forum has any updated relevant information.

Have you tried to revert back to the native operating system for the iPad (IOS 4.3.1). Maybe it is a JB issueheadscratch.gif

Works just fine for me, IOS 4.3.1, WiFi and 3G connections. Good Luck.
    Duke
  • Options
    mom2sagemom2sage Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2011

I just installed it and I am having the same problem :(
  • Options
    sirshannonsirshannon Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2011
    mom2sage wrote: »
    I just installed it and I am having the same problem :(

Me too. I just installed it yesterday. I have no problem with my internet access. Clicking the Login button causes the app to crash every time no matter what is in the username/password fields, even if they are blank.
  • Options
    ale_ersale_ers Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 19, 2011
    sirshannon wrote: »

Me too. I just installed it yesterday. I have no problem with my internet access. Clicking the Login button causes the app to crash every time no matter what is in the username/password fields, even if they are blank.

It used to work for my until this latest update 1.4.3...now I can't login. Funny that it was supposed to fix that issure (an issue that I did not have) and instead caused it.
  • Options
    RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Looking for a way to create new galleries via a app and upload them all from my iPad 2. Ideas?

Thanks

Roger
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    Doesn't exist - sorry. Smugshot is the closest thing and it's just barely above completely useless.
  • Options
    RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Doesn't exist - sorry. Smugshot is the closest thing and it's just barely above completely useless.

So, I have to use somthing like drop box to sync to a PC, and you logmein or the link to remote to my pc?

ICK.

Thanks

Roger
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    Yeah. I've given up on a wireless workflow with the iPad. Best I've come up with is using PhotoSmith to tag the photos and prep them for LR while still in the field. It at least saves me some time when I get back to the PC.
  • Options
    SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »

That's what I used for years to upload photos to my smugmug account but it was pulled from the app store.

I bought the new iPad last Friday and right now I have no way to upload since the app is no longer available...

It's also worth mentioning that I upload at least ten photos a day or more straight from my iOS devices.

The Camera Awesome app is okay but nowhere nearly as fast and simple as the now defunct SmugShot. I downloaded it a few weeks ago, used it once, haven't used it since. It's just way to expensive if you want to get anything out of it.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    SLRdude wrote: »
    That's what I used for years to upload photos to my smugmug account but it was pulled from the app store.

I bought the new iPad last Friday and right now I have no way to upload since the app is no longer available...

It's also worth mentioning that I upload at least ten photos a day or more straight from my iOS devices.

The Camera Awesome app is okay but nowhere nearly as fast and simple as the now defunct SmugShot. I downloaded it a few weeks ago, used it once, haven't used it since. It's just way to expensive if you want to get anything out of it.

In what way was SmugShot faster than Camera Awesome? The shot to shot was terrible as you had to shoot then immediately caption/crop before you could shoot again or upload and it used the lame default iOS camera interface (which is slow to start). With Camera Awesome you can specify every shot you take goes to SmugMug as you shoot it.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Did you delete Smugshot from your computer? It's no longer available in the store but if you ever downloaded it when it was you should still have it unless you purposely deleted it from iTunes.
  • Options
    DCJarvisDCJarvis Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2012
    I have just purchased my first iPad. It would be wonderful to be able to upload to Smugmug from the iPad. I can't figure out how, and reading this thread leads me to conclude that upload functionality is simply not available. How can that be? headscratch.gif