Options

SmugMug + iPad

Comments

• Options
    klinquistklinquist Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Any plans to allow this app to upload to Smugmug? With the camera connection kit, I can import pictures from my SD card right into the iPad - it would be brilliant to be able to upload to smugmug on the go...
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I also really appreciate the feature that allows me to mark galleries for offline browsing. Excellent idea guys!
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    richlin71 wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one having problems, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get videos to play. Clips that play fine on the site show up as still images in the app. Any idea what the problem might be?

No videos for me either. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins Posts: 0 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Now I have to find a free iPad to go with it rolleyes1.gif

Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone but I got one assigned from work. mwink.gif Now to start tweaking and trying.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    neda_zzz01neda_zzz01 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2010
    Now Smugmug is with me wherever I goclap.gif
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    iPad App Troubles
    Is anyone else having problems with the iPad smug app? It seemed to be working fine for me for several weeks and I enjoyed looking at photos but lately it seems to crash on me a lot. Also, as I scroll through pages to get to a particular photo and then tap on the photo to view it it just shows all black - the photo is never displayed.

It's becoming pretty frustrating really - was curious if others are noticing this behavior.

One suggestion - they need to implement a better way to get to page 35 of a gallery that has 50 pages for example - flicking the screen 35 times is tedious!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Is anyone else having problems with the iPad smug app? It seemed to be working fine for me for several weeks and I enjoyed looking at photos but lately it seems to crash on me a lot. Also, as I scroll through pages to get to a particular photo and then tap on the photo to view it it just shows all black - the photo is never displayed.

It's becoming pretty frustrating really - was curious if others are noticing this behavior.

One suggestion - they need to implement a better way to get to page 35 of a gallery that has 50 pages for example - flicking the screen 35 times is tedious!!
    Try deleting it and downloading it again, sorry for that hassle!
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2010
    Thanks for the response Andy - I'll give that a try. Sorta hate to do so as I've downloaded quite a bit to save on the iPad - but will give it a try.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins Posts: 0 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2010
    I'm in the process of re-downloading one of my galleries now - with about 2,000 photos. Will monitor this again to see if the same issue re-appears.

NOTE TO ANDY - hope you can pass along a tip to the developers of this great app - with this one gallery of 2,000 photos - that is about 107 pages of images - there is not easy way to get to page 107 if I wanted to unless I swipe 107 times - has to be a better way :)

Thanks.
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    richlin71 wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one having problems, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get videos to play. Clips that play fine on the site show up as still images in the app. Any idea what the problem might be?
    Pupator wrote: »
    No videos for me either. :(

What ever came of this? Will smugmug videos play on the ipad or not?
    Duke
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2010
    More iPad issues
    After experiencing odd behavior on my iPad with the smug mug iPad app - I delted the app and started over and so far it seems to be doing fine.

However - I was at my mothers today and the smugmug app on her iPad is also acting very odd. When I drill down into a specific gallery and swipe 3 or 4 pages it works fine - but around the 4th or 5th page all of a sudden the thumbnails don't display at all. And then when I tap on a particular photo the screen just shows a blank screen - I can't get the app to display the actual image. I deleted the app several times, rebooted, and tried again but experienced the same problem.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2010
    dixonduke wrote: »

Yup, they play perfectly thumb.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    Got one!
    My iPad arrived yesterday - the first day that they were made available in Canada. So - now to play.

I found the Smugmug ap after a little searching. So - dumb question but, can I download individual pictures for offline viewing or only whole albums? headscratch.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    If there is a way to download individual photos using the SmugMug app, I have not found it yet. What I have done though is simply add the images I want to the built in Picture App.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2010
    If there is a way to download individual photos using the SmugMug app, I have not found it yet. What I have done though is simply add the images I want to the built in Picture App.

That makes sense. I'll try that. The other thing I thought of was having a "hidden" album to which I'd add specific photos that I want to have on my iPad.

Should the photos be a specific size or does iPad automatically shrink them? I'd hate to use up too much memory.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Should the photos be a specific size or does iPad automatically shrink them? I'd hate to use up too much memory.
    Don't worry. We'll grab the X3 size and that's it.
  • Options
    shaweetzshaweetz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2010
    klinquist wrote: »
    Any plans to allow this app to upload to Smugmug? With the camera connection kit, I can import pictures from my SD card right into the iPad - it would be brilliant to be able to upload to smugmug on the go...

I am also curious about this. The SmugShot iPhone app AFAIK only grabs low-res previews from the photo library (I can't check since I don't yet have iPad OR camera kit). It is mentioned in an old blog post that it was an API issue. I wonder if this has been opened up with the new camera connection kit? Surely tools like photogene must be able to access full res versions, if not the RAW versions?

In my scenario, I want to do light motorcycle travelling with only an iPad and my camera. So I am trying to figure out how I can send in more than one image at a time to my SM account, without emailing every single one at the coffee shop. Something that is easily done by bringing a netbook along...

Maybe it's more simply stated as: are there any plans to update SmugShot soon to reflect the new realities of the camera kit?

Perhaps this topic deserves its own thread, since the new SM iPad app seems to be intended as a viewer only.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    shaweetz wrote: »
    I am also curious about this. The SmugShot iPhone app AFAIK only grabs low-res previews from the photo library (I can't check since I don't yet have iPad OR camera kit). It is mentioned in an old blog post that it was an API issue. I wonder if this has been opened up with the new camera connection kit? Surely tools like photogene must be able to access full res versions, if not the RAW versions?

In my scenario, I want to do light motorcycle travelling with only an iPad and my camera. So I am trying to figure out how I can send in more than one image at a time to my SM account, without emailing every single one at the coffee shop. Something that is easily done by bringing a netbook along...

Maybe it's more simply stated as: are there any plans to update SmugShot soon to reflect the new realities of the camera kit?

Perhaps this topic deserves its own thread, since the new SM iPad app seems to be intended as a viewer only.

Workin on it :)
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    shaweetzshaweetz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2010
    Cool. So you're saying I should buy the iPad?

Ok.

:ivar
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    shaweetz wrote: »
    Cool. So you're saying I should buy the iPad?

Ok.

:ivar

Hah,
    Sounds like you didn't need much of a push :)
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    Lovin' mine so far!

Sent from my iPad while cooking dinner.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    dixonduke wrote: »

Andy wrote: »
    Yup, they play perfectly thumb.gif

And You Sir Are Correct! clap.gifwings.gifivarbowdown.gif

890921419_Afs4z-L.png

This is a freaking AWSOME App. LOVE IT!. iloveyou.gif
    Duke
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    just looked at my galleries on an iPad...very nice....except they were all displaying in alphabetical order instead of chronological....is this by design? is there a way to change it?
    Alphabetical ordering makes it extremely difficult for people to follow the new galleries I create and photos I upload.

thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    mtnbiker wrote: »
    just looked at my galleries on an iPad...very nice....except they were all displaying in alphabetical order instead of chronological....is this by design? is there a way to change it?
    Alphabetical ordering makes it extremely difficult for people to follow the new galleries I create and photos I upload.

thanks.

I totally agree and am working on a 'settings' panel to set application wide settings like how items are ordered.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I haven't had much luck with the stability of the app so far, but I'm hopeful that it improves and becomes a useful tool. It will save me from having to create additional organisational projects in Aperture to sync to the iPad. One less workflow is always good.

But I'm curious about the new feature listed in v1.2 stating that you can now download and view anyones photos offline. What does that mean? That the app is now a general purpose smug mug browser. Does it respect turning off right click? Is there a trackback of any form of who might have downloaded the images?
  • Options
    emtp563emtp563 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Andy, can you explain some of the buttons for me. Is there any type of documentation anywhere pertaining to the use of the app? I know most of the functions are self-explanatory, but there are a few things that are stumping me (see below):

a.) This is my "top page" in the app (ie- all my galleries)- what does the "-" sign do?
    b.) This is an individual gallery page- what does the "+" sign do?

Also, I downloaded the new version of the app today (6/16/2010) and I'm still experiencing occasional crashes. Before (ie before today) the app crashed so often it was unusable. Do I need to delete/reinstall the app like mentioned in a previous post?

903193918_dcSzL-X3.jpg
    My SmugMug site: http://www.cyclingcaptured.com

Canon EOS 1D & 1D Mark II
    Speedlite 580EX II & 430EX
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS
    Canon 16-35L f/2.8
    Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    I haven't had much luck with the stability of the app so far, but I'm hopeful that it improves and becomes a useful tool. It will save me from having to create additional organisational projects in Aperture to sync to the iPad. One less workflow is always good.

But I'm curious about the new feature listed in v1.2 stating that you can now download and view anyones photos offline. What does that mean? That the app is now a general purpose smug mug browser. Does it respect turning off right click? Is there a trackback of any form of who might have downloaded the images?

Yes,
    It still respects Right Click Protection as you cannot save a RCPed photo to your own library which is the same as RCP preventing you from saving the photo to your desktop, all other privacy settings are also honored. All that changed is that now, within the app you can view other people's photos even when you're offline but you can't get photos out of the app if the owner doesn't want you to.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    emtp563emtp563 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Shizam wrote: »
    Yes,
    It still respects Right Click Protection as you cannot save a RCPed photo to your own library which is the same as RCP preventing you from saving the photo to your desktop, all other privacy settings are also honored. All that changed is that now, within the app you can view other people's photos even when you're offline but you can't get photos out of the app if the owner doesn't want you to.

Sam

Do you know that if you hit the lock + home button you can take a screenshot? I know there's nothing you can do about that, but I figured it's worth mentioning.

Shizam, can you answer my post above?
    My SmugMug site: http://www.cyclingcaptured.com

Canon EOS 1D & 1D Mark II
    Speedlite 580EX II & 430EX
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS
    Canon 16-35L f/2.8
    Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS