Options

64 Bit ApertureToSmugMug Plugin

peterparkerpeterparker Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited January 23, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Not the first, but I'm looking for comments/suggestions/complaints with a export plugin for Aperture I'm working on. If you would like to help, please download, unzip and place in the following directory. If you have no other export plugins, you will need to create the directory.

/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins/Export/

Thank you!

EDIT: Sept 10, 2009: V.30 here. (Snow Leopard, and Aperture 2 compatible)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    Updated to version 0.12. Create new album from plugin added.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Got it and it works great! thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Got it and it works great! thanks.
    Thanks John.

Updated to 0.13, added keywords preview.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    Version 0.15 is available.
    - minor UI update
    - uses Aperture unique image name instead of version name

ApertureToSmugMug-main.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    Version 0.16 is now available. Changes include:
    - navigate thumbnails with left/right arrow keys
    - added photo size to metadata display
    - sorts albums in drop down selection
    - description added to new album screen
    - password for private album added to new album screen

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Looks and works great!
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.17
    Updated to ApertureToSmugMug 0.17:
    - fixed some focus issues
    - option to open album after export

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2006
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.18
    Verion 0.18 is now available, with the ability to choose subcategory for album/gallery.

ApertureToSmugMug-album.jpg

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Verion 0.18 is now available, with the ability to choose subcategory for album/gallery.

Thanks,
    David
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2006
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.19
    Hey guys. I've added most of the SmugMug gallery options now to album creation in version 0.19.

Hope it is helping out your workflow, comments/suggestions always appreciated.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2007
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.21
    Version 0.21 is available for download and fixes a bug with opening album after export.
  • Options
    dmccalliedmccallie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2007
    Thank you!
    Very nice plugin. Just what I needed! Keep up the good work
    --david
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Looking good. Is it possible to add a keep synced? I have created a folder called Smugmug (with sub folder for different Smugmug sites) and then an album for each Smugmug album. Now it would be really cool to be able to click Sync to update any changes (like photo edits, order change, etc).
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2007
    Mac Write wrote:
    Looking good. Is it possible to add a keep synced? I have created a folder called Smugmug (with sub folder for different Smugmug sites) and then an album for each Smugmug album. Now it would be really cool to be able to click Sync to update any changes (like photo edits, order change, etc).

It's a nice idea. I can think of a bunch of roadblocks, mostly because of the options available to an export plugin. I'll keep it in mind.

David
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2007
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.22
    Howdy guys. Version 0.22 is available for download. This update adds per image upload progress indicator.
  • Options
    nocturne1nocturne1 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Love this plugin! A few issues though...

1) If you create a gallery with an ampersand (&), only the part before the ampersand gets created. There is no error or anything. I'm not sure if this is an API issue - if so, you should give an error message. If not, then it should just work. :)

2) I'd love to be able to save my default settings. For instance, I always keep the "originals" setting disabled.

3) It's probably more of a limitation of Aperture itself, but I'd really like to be able to queue up multiple aperture projects for upload, each into their own gallery. It seems that the only way to do it now is one at a time (or send the whole batch up, and divide them manually on smugmug).

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Jay
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    nocturne1 wrote:
    Love this plugin! A few issues though...

1) If you create a gallery with an ampersand (&), only the part before the ampersand gets created. There is no error or anything. I'm not sure if this is an API issue - if so, you should give an error message. If not, then it should just work. :)

2) I'd love to be able to save my default settings. For instance, I always keep the "originals" setting disabled.

3) It's probably more of a limitation of Aperture itself, but I'd really like to be able to queue up multiple aperture projects for upload, each into their own gallery. It seems that the only way to do it now is one at a time (or send the whole batch up, and divide them manually on smugmug).

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Jay

1) Yep, bug. Cocoa function to URL encode is not encoding ampersands. I'll have a fix tomorrow.

2) Already on the list to add.

3) Yes that would be nice. I can think of a way to hack it, but I'd rather not. I'll give it some more thought though.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    Oh, one more thing I got to experience a few times so far tonight. It seems that if Smugmug's servers go down during an upload with ApertureToSmugmug, Aperture crashes completely. Haven't tried the other utility to see if it does the same thing....
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.23
    ApertureToSmugMug has been updated to version 0.23. Fixes error with ampersand in new album title.

main.jpg

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    nocturne1 wrote:
    Oh, one more thing I got to experience a few times so far tonight. It seems that if Smugmug's servers go down during an upload with ApertureToSmugmug, Aperture crashes completely. Haven't tried the other utility to see if it does the same thing....

That's on the list to fix. If SM is down when you launch the plug-in you will get an error message and won't be able to upload. You must have launched it, and then SM became unavailable before you could upload. Not an unlikely scenario given last night's issues.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    That's on the list to fix. If SM is down when you launch the plug-in you will get an error message and won't be able to upload. You must have launched it, and then SM became unavailable before you could upload. Not an unlikely scenario given last night's issues.

Thanks,
    David
    Actually SM became unavailable during the upload itself (a few hundred pics). Obviously not your fault, but an error message is much nicer than a crash. :)

Thanks for the quick turnaround on the ampersand fix - I'll check it out tonight.

Btw, you should put a paypal link on your website for donations... :)
  • Options
    dkwongdkwong Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2007
    I get an error when trying to install this. Please see attached screenshot.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    dkwong wrote:
    I get an error when trying to install this. Please see attached screenshot.

What version of OS X are you running? I haven't seen any issues with the installer yet. You can download the manual install version, unzip it and place it in your user Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins/Export directory. You will need to create the directory if you haven't installed any other plug-ins.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    What version of OS X are you running? I haven't seen any issues with the installer yet. You can download the manual install version, unzip it and place it in your user Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins/Export directory. You will need to create the directory if you haven't installed any other plug-ins.

Thanks,
    David

I'm running 10.4 on an Intel iMac. Are there any logs that I can send you to narrow the problem down?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    dkwong wrote:
    I'm running 10.4 on an Intel iMac. Are there any logs that I can send you to narrow the problem down?

The installer does not generate anything to the Console from what I've seen. Does it get through the other screens of the installer correctly and error at the end?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    The installer does not generate anything to the Console from what I've seen. Does it get through the other screens of the installer correctly and error at the end?

Yes, this is the only screen that indicates there is any problem at all. All prior screens looked fine to me.
  • Options
    James_FJames_F Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Login to SmugMug does not work
    Installed the latest version in the correct location. Started Aperture EXPORT VERSION > APERTURETOSMUGMUG - login window appears - however, I get an error message when I try to log in to Smugmug. I test logging into Smugmug directly (through Safari) and it works fine. Note, there is an ampersand in my password (if that matters).
    MacBook Pro (intel)
    Aperture 1.5.2
    OS X 10.4.8
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.24
    James_F wrote:
    Installed the latest version in the correct location. Started Aperture EXPORT VERSION > APERTURETOSMUGMUG - login window appears - however, I get an error message when I try to log in to Smugmug. I test logging into Smugmug directly (through Safari) and it works fine. Note, there is an ampersand in my password (if that matters).
    MacBook Pro (intel)
    Aperture 1.5.2
    OS X 10.4.8
    Thanks for bringing that to light. Verion 0.24 is available and fixes the issue with an ampersand in the SM password.
  • Options
    James_FJames_F Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Version 0.24 solves Ampersand Issue
    .... Version 0.24 .... fixes the issue with an ampersand in the SM password.
    Login (with a password containing an ampersand) works fine now. One follow up question - once the Aperture plugin "connection" with Smugmug is created and an image(s) is uploaded, am I supposed to be able to then go to Smugmug directly (without logging on) or do I have to login on directly with Smugmug to make any image gallery adjustments, etc.? I had to login to do anything. Not sure if that's the way the plugin is supposed to work.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    James_F wrote:
    Login (with a password containing an ampersand) works fine now. One follow up question - once the Aperture plugin "connection" with Smugmug is created and an image(s) is uploaded, am I supposed to be able to then go to Smugmug directly (without logging on) or do I have to login on directly with Smugmug to make any image gallery adjustments, etc.? I had to login to do anything. Not sure if that's the way the plugin is supposed to work.

You will need to login to SM site to make any changes to your gallery. The plugin uses the same cookies that Safari does, so if you use Safari you should be already logged in after using the plugin.

Thanks,
    David