Options

64 Bit ApertureToSmugMug Plugin

Comments

• Options
    peterparkerpeterparker Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.25
    Version 0.25 is available. Includes ratings in thumbnail previews.

main.jpg

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    lcavalielcavalie Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    wow, this plug-in keep getting better with each version.
    congratulation it's really really good.

L
    www.mindworkscreation.com
    Photography and Design Studio

Pictures galleries at photo.mindworkscreation.com
  • Options
    AOguruAOguru Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Version 0.25 is available. Includes ratings in thumbnail previews.

main.jpg

Thanks,
    David

Just discovered this plug-in. It's great. Thanks for your effort and making it available for testing.

One very useful feature for me would be "sticky" selections -- so that the 'Album' and 'Version Preset' drop down selections would be the same as the last time the plugin was opened. Is there a way to do that now? If not, could it be implemented in a future version?

Such a feature helps when uploading just a few images at a time. I am making Smart albums for batch uploading but I don't always do that.

Thanks again for your efforts.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    AOguru wrote:
    Just discovered this plug-in. It's great. Thanks for your effort and making it available for testing.

One very useful feature for me would be "sticky" selections -- so that the 'Album' and 'Version Preset' drop down selections would be the same as the last time the plugin was opened. Is there a way to do that now? If not, could it be implemented in a future version?

Such a feature helps when uploading just a few images at a time. I am making Smart albums for batch uploading but I don't always do that.

Thanks again for your efforts.

You're welcome, hope it helps your workflow.

I cannot control the version presets from the plugin unfortunately. I did file a request with Apple to have the preset be sticky. I can make the album sticky of course. I have making the new album settings sticky, so when I do that I will consider makeing the album sticky also.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.26
    Version 0.26 is available. Image filenames are back in place instead of Aperture unique ID.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    ppriorpprior Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2007
    Can't install :(
    Hello.

I'm trying to install this plugin as it looks like just what I need. However I'm having trouble in that it won't install. :splat I am able to select a disk and then it starts to initialize and a few things flash by on the screen and then it just gives me an error message and says try again.

I'm unable to find any instructions to help - hoping I can get this installed.

advTHANKSance
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    If the installer is not working you can do a manual install. Download this, unzip and place in your ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins/Export folder. You will need to create that folder if you do not have any other plug-ins installed.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    sjtsjt Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2007
    Filename issues
    Hello, I'm new to Dgrin, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I asked for help at Smugmug and they sent me here. I do believe it is an issue with the ApertureToSmugmug plugin, but I'm not sure where this setting is... could be Aperture itself or through Smugmug. My issue is this... My filenames are all being changed to "wendi" and then appending a number, depending on how many I'm uploading. Obviously that was ok when I was uploading stuff for my girlfreind wendi, but now everyfile on every directory/gallery is having the filename changed to wendi# and the keyword is automatically being changed to wendi. Don't know where this is happening. Please help! Thanks! ST

my galleries are at sjtdesigns.smugmug.com if that helps?
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    sjt wrote:
    My issue is this... My filenames are all being changed to "wendi"

Sounds to me like you have the export dialogue of Aperture set to something like "custom name with index". Check the Version names of the photos in question, which may be different than the Master Filenames.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    sjt wrote:
    Hello, I'm new to Dgrin, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I asked for help at Smugmug and they sent me here. I do believe it is an issue with the ApertureToSmugmug plugin, but I'm not sure where this setting is... could be Aperture itself or through Smugmug. My issue is this... My filenames are all being changed to "wendi" and then appending a number, depending on how many I'm uploading. Obviously that was ok when I was uploading stuff for my girlfreind wendi, but now everyfile on every directory/gallery is having the filename changed to wendi# and the keyword is automatically being changed to wendi. Don't know where this is happening. Please help! Thanks! ST

my galleries are at sjtdesigns.smugmug.com if that helps?

Scott, can you please PM me with your email or IM?

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Scott, can you please PM me with your email or IM?

Thanks,
    David

I'm having a heck of a time with export as well. Is there any way to adapt the plugin so I can set the export version name? I am exporting pictures of my dog and they are all named Antarctica_314. That's not right.

I go to image export and change to a different naming scheme, but this still doesn't work. Do I have to manually export one image via another method and then change back? Any way the plugin will let me manually pick the version names to use? Because the version names on my photos themselves are correct... A2S is just picking the wrong ones on export, and I have no way to set it that's not convoluted, that I can see.
  • Options
    tmsrugetmsruge Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2007
    No uploads - no workie for me
    I have a problem getting this to even work once. I am on 2.2Ghz MBP. I don't know if it's logged in or not. I enter my login info, it looks like it's logging in, then it does nothing after that. I can't select an album... well, there are no album selections in the drop-down. It's blank. Also, pressing export does nothing as well. No warnings of any kind. I do see the preview of the images in the film strip above... nice touch. The other Aperture plugin, Smug Export worked perfectly, although I would love to use this one instead, as I think it has tons of potential.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    ApertureToSmugMug 0.27
    Updated to 0.27 to include file naming controls.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    I DL'ed the latest version of this software tonight. When I tried to export photo's, I selected a bunch I wanted to export and opted to use the "Custom Name w/ Counter" option to rename the files. Trouble is that it never changed the number--it just made a bunch of pictures with the same file name. headscratch.gif

Did I screw something up?

Thanks! Its a great app!

Tim
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    timnosenzo wrote:
    I DL'ed the latest version of this software tonight. When I tried to export photo's, I selected a bunch I wanted to export and opted to use the "Custom Name w/ Counter" option to rename the files. Trouble is that it never changed the number--it just made a bunch of pictures with the same file name. headscratch.gif

Did I screw something up?

Thanks! Its a great app!

Tim

Tim, I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Weird, and the plugin API can only choose to show/hide the file naming controls. No control over what it does.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    Aperture has 3 counter-type variables available at export as explained here.

Index works correctly with the plug-in, but counter doesn't increment. I'm not sure how counter works behind the scenes, but it looks as though it observes existing exports and increments. For example it does work on file system export.

I found other plug-in developers with the same issue, but no answers. Will index work for you?

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Hey David, I seem to have another issue with this plug-in. I can't enter captions or keywords in it--the boxes are grayed out. Any ideas? ne_nau.gif

FWIW, I uninstalled it, DL'ed it again and installed it, same deal.

Thanks!
    Tim

Picture 1.jpg
  • Options
    Tu13esTu13es Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2007
    I experience the same with captions and keywords.

I was also wondering if there's any way to throttle bandwidth with this plugin, or if that can only be done by Aperture. I'ts annoying to have to use all my available upload when upping photos.

Besides that, thanks for the great plugin!
  • Options
    Tu13esTu13es Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2007
    Is there any way that when I upload photos I can make sure I'm not uploading duplicate photos?

EDIT: That is, is there any way to make sure I'm not uploading photos that are already on SmugMug?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Hey David, I seem to have another issue with this plug-in. I can't enter captions or keywords in it--the boxes are grayed out.

Sorry guys, that is by design. It was enabled in the first version, but I decided that users would be putting metadata in Aperture before exporting. So it is just there for review before exporting. If there is enough need I'll consider enabling them.
  • Options
    Plan BPlan B Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2007
    Thanks for developing ApertureToSmugmug - It's a real time saver for me.
    I have it installed on my Quad G5 and it works perfectly but for some reason I cannot log on to my smugmug account when I use the program on my 2.33 Intel Core 2 pro book. When I try to login I get a "Error: Error logging in"

Any ideas?
  • Options
    inflandersfieldinflandersfield Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2007
    five requests and a huge thank you...
    I'm going to start out by saying a huge thank you. I just uploaded 3900 high rez photos to over 150 galleries in a faster more secure way than I've ever been able to before. And directly from the program I most use to for my professional projects. Here are a couple of requests I would like to have added to your dream list. They'd help me, I hope they'd help others too.

Request number one: I wonder if using a future version of your helpful tool there is a way to more closely use the metadata keywords from Aperture to automatically create and progagate galleries in smugmug using a batch function. I'd like to be able to export an entire job that has been pre-keyworded and have it automatically load those images in galleries determined by the images' keywords. Sounds like a lot of work, but I think many pros who are legitimately doing events with multiple galleries could see this as a huge benefit.

Request number two: Since I am spending all day using your tool, is there a way to stay logged in for a predetermined amount of time? Sometimes for my sessions, it will log out with an error (relogging in with the manual button works every time after that--thanks).

Request number three: If your plug-in hangs on upload (which it has done only a couple of times during my recent huge job--thanks again!) is there a way to throw up an error indicating which images either have not been uploaded yet, or which ones were using filenames? Just a thought

Request number four: Quick keystroke for export to AperturetoSmugmug?

Request number five: I haven't chosen to use the album creation tool because I couldn't find where to make folders behave like others (quick settings/quick pricing). Any way you could throw those in somewhere in the settings (or create a saved preference for these settings I can choose to enable that covers all these bases?---again this need stems out of the slow task of creating tens to hundreds of galleries per event).

Just for the record, I do not need the ability to rename/modify keyword data from your tool--I have already manipulated it the way I want it in Aperture.

Off to make my first of many donations!
    bowdown.gif

Scott
    http://www.kennedyphotoworks.com
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2007
    Plan B wrote:
    Thanks for developing ApertureToSmugmug - It's a real time saver for me.
    I have it installed on my Quad G5 and it works perfectly but for some reason I cannot log on to my smugmug account when I use the program on my 2.33 Intel Core 2 pro book. When I try to login I get a "Error: Error logging in"

Any ideas?

Which version of Aperture and ApertureToSmugMug? Do you have cookies enabled in Safari on the MacBook Pro?
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2007
    Request number one: I wonder if using a future version of your helpful tool there is a way to more closely use the metadata keywords from Aperture to automatically create and progagate galleries in smugmug using a batch function. I'd like to be able to export an entire job that has been pre-keyworded and have it automatically load those images in galleries determined by the images' keywords. Sounds like a lot of work, but I think many pros who are legitimately doing events with multiple galleries could see this as a huge benefit.

Interesting idea. The keywords for galleries are not returned via the SM API, but it might be possible to do it by associating the Aperture keywords to SmugMug category/subcategory. An image would be limited to one gallery with the current SM API also.
    Request number two: Since I am spending all day using your tool, is there a way to stay logged in for a predetermined amount of time? Sometimes for my sessions, it will log out with an error (relogging in with the manual button works every time after that--thanks).

I'll check and see what the session timeout is, see if there is something useful to be done with it.
    Request number three: If your plug-in hangs on upload (which it has done only a couple of times during my recent huge job--thanks again!) is there a way to throw up an error indicating which images either have not been uploaded yet, or which ones were using filenames? Just a thought

I don't believe the plugin API lets me display anything other than the progress bar once you click the Export button. It could be logged to the Console log, not sure how to make that useful for most users but it is a good idea.
    Request number four: Quick keystroke for export to AperturetoSmugmug?

Nobody would like that more than me. I've launched it more than anybody while developing :D. I usually right-click on an image, press the e key, then use the arrow keys.
    Request number five: I haven't chosen to use the album creation tool because I couldn't find where to make folders behave like others (quick settings/quick pricing). Any way you could throw those in somewhere in the settings (or create a saved preference for these settings I can choose to enable that covers all these bases?---again this need stems out of the slow task of creating tens to hundreds of galleries per event).

I've never used that feature, I'll check.
  • Options
    Plan BPlan B Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 13, 2007
    Which version of Aperture and ApertureToSmugMug? Do you have cookies enabled in Safari on the MacBook Pro?

Aperture Version 1.5.4
    AperturetoSmugMug 0.28

cookies enabled

I just figured it out. I have an academic version of aperture (legit, like all my software) and it does not allow me to have aperture open on two computers at a time. I installed littlesnitch as a workaround - it didn't work - but it was blocking aperture on my MacBook pro from joining the network.

Thanks again for the pruduct, it greatly enhances aperture for me.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2007
    Plan B wrote:
    I have an academic version of aperture (legit, like all my software) and it does not allow me to have aperture open on two computers at a time.

Me too, but only use it on one computer. Did not know that was one of the limitations. Glad you solved that one.
  • Options
    mattstermattster Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2007
    This is on the topic of installation errors with the plugin. I was unable to install v0.28, as was a previous poster in the thread. It would beign the installer script then suddenly display an "installation failed" message and I would have to quit.

When looking through the install.log file (/var/log/install.log) I found the problem:
    Sep 16 00:30:33 dirkness :     Performing post-extraction actions
    Sep 16 00:30:33 dirkness :     Assembling receipt
    Sep 16 00:30:33 dirkness : pkgReceiptMaker[473]: 2007-09-16 00:30:33.286 pkgReceiptMaker[473] Error 13 (Permission denied) trying to rename ApertureToSmugMug-0.28.pkg to /Library/Receipts/ApertureToSmugMug-0.28.pkg

My user account does not have admin privileges (much safer this way) and the plugin did not ask me to authenticate before running and therefore could not write the installation receipt noted above.

Would it be possible to have the installed authenticate before running?

As a simple workaround, you can enable admin privileges on your user account before installing, then disable them after the installation is complete.

BTW, thanks for an excellent plugin!
  • Options
    Sorry guys, that is by design. It was enabled in the first version, but I decided that users would be putting metadata in Aperture before exporting. So it is just there for review before exporting. If there is enough need I'll consider enabling them.

One way some may want to utilize an editable keyword and metadata form on the plugin is to delete some keywords that they use within Aperture but may not want up on Smugmug. I would have a definite use for this, as I want to keep a lot of data in Aperture, but may not want it on some of my photos in SmugMug, e.g. a first and last name of someone in the photo.
  • Options
    1 feature request and a thank you
    I first want to say a big thank you for this plugin - where would a SmugMug pro user be without it?

Second, I want to add a feature request to the list: Have the option of adding a keyword to the exported photos back in Aperture after the upload completes.

For example, you could add the keyword "SmugMug" to each exported photo in Aperture. Or, slightly more complex, would be some method of keywording based on the details of your upload, e.g. album name or category.

It would be one way to keep track of which of your photos you have uploaded to SmugMug.
  • Options
    SidelinePicSidelinePic Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    Hey peter, great work. I have a question for you about batch uploading. Let me tell you about my workflow.

I shoot sports and sometimes shoot 20 games in a day (2-4k photos). When I get back I shove them all into an Aperture project named for the date. Then I go though and pull out the games (I have the frame numbers written down so it isn't that bad) and make an album of each game named for the teams playing. After weeding out out of focus shots, editing exposure, cropping, and keywording it is time to send them up to my smugmug site.

This leaves me with 10-20 albums that need to each go into their own separate smugmug gallery. Is there anyway you can think of to automate this process of sending to smugmug? At the moment I am using your plug-in and have to upload each album one at a time. When one is done I start over again and make a new album... etc.

What I am really looking for is maybe the ability to use your plug-in in an automator workflow or something like that. My goal is to do my editing after I get back from shooting and then start a batch process and go to bed while the upload finishes.

Thanks for any of your thoughts ahead of time!

P.S. Is there anyway to help donate to the cause?