Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #52 (Digital Alphabet Soup)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited June 14, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #52

Welcome to Round #52 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, May 31st, 8:00am, PST time (GMT -7) to Monday, June 14th, 08:00am, PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Digital Alphabet Soup

This round is a little different than most. Hopefully you all will have some fun with this theme.
Digital Alphabet Soup is my nick name for this type of photography.
The challenge is to either spell one word or your name or your Dgrin user name using a photo of an object that looks like a letter of the alphabet for each of the letters in your word.

I have now created a mini tutorial on how to combine your individual photos into one image using a free software solution for windows users. You can find it here

Stipulations. (in addition to the regular rules linked below)

1. You must not use a photo of an actual letter from a sign, hot metal type or printed text like a newspaper etc. Please be creative and do not use soup or cereal either. :wink
2. You are allowed to manufacture letter forms from household objects but they must be created by you or your family members.
3. You are allowed to use frames in this challenge if you feel it facilitates the separation of each letter in your final image.
4. Only one word must be used and the title of your challenge entry must be that word followed by links to the EXIF information for each letter. ie. Dgrin username - WORD EXIF1 EXIF2 EXIF3 EXIF4 (click on any of the EXIF links to the left for information on how to make them)
5. Your one word must not be considered derogatory, a swear or racist, in any language or slang usage. Entries that are considered inappropriate will be deleted immediately without warning.
6. Only basic editing is to be used in this challenge. Basic editing includes: cropping, rotation, resize, levels, curves, hue, contrast adjustment, spot or dust removal, saturation or vibrancy and sharpening. Basic editing does not include the use of filters other than noise removal if required, layers, layer masks or composite techniques. The use of adjustment layers to achieve the already mentioned things; like curves and hue, are okay to use as long as none of the adjustment layers go outside of the already defined "basic editing" criteria.

For the next two weeks, go out and have some fun finding letter shapes in the common things around you. :D

Your Judges:
nightpixels: (Winner of Round 49)
Guest Judge: The Curious Camel

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications

As always if you have questions or are confused, please ask in this thread and I will do my best to help.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Just... WOW. :jawdrop

This is SO UNBELIEVABLY COOL.

I'd never heard of or seen this, but I am completely smitten! I have no idea if I'll have time to put something together, but I'm sure going to try!! thumb.gifthumb.gif thumb
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    I have seen images of letters but didn't even realize how fun they could be! Thanks for the links-hair was crazy wierd but very cool! Old camera has been on last leg - new 7d arriving Wed just in time for this challenge. Can't wait to see what everyone finds!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    I have seen images of letters but didn't even realize how fun they could be! Thanks for the links-hair was crazy wierd but very cool! Old camera has been on last leg - new 7d arriving Wed just in time for this challenge. Can't wait to see what everyone finds!

Congrats on the new 7Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    Heads up!
    For those wondering. This is the last 2 week challenge before Mega Challenge #8.
  • Options
    OnionOnion Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Very cool and creative challenge. I am very interested in seeing what everyone comes up with.

Upon first reading, I thought it was just your name, but I guess it can be any one word. Is that correct? "The challenge is to either spell one word, your name or your Dgrin user name".
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    Onion wrote: »
    I guess it can be any one word. Is that correct? "The challenge is to either spell one word, your name or your Dgrin user name".

thumb.gif You got it!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Very cool!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    Angela DavisAngela Davis Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Really cool challenge this go around Sean.... and a big woohoo on my new Nikon landing in my hands in two days for this & the Mega Challenge :D Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with... my mind has all kinds of ideas going
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 31, 2010
    this is gonna be fun!
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Wicked, awesome, cool!

I just hope I have time to do this one. :ivar

I already have some ideas for my letters.....

Sherry
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    I guess I am having a hard time understanding how you will be able to put all of the images together in their frame and still have EXIF for each letter's image...
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Great! Now I'm seeing everything as letters! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    Tdcompton wrote: »
    I guess I am having a hard time understanding how you will be able to put all of the images together in their frame and still have EXIF for each letter's image...

Each letter should be shot as a separate photo this will give each one their own EXIF. When you put them all together in editing software the final image will only have one EXIF but you will need to link to each of the original EXIF's in your entry caption.

Here is what the caption should look like if I was using my name as my word.

sherstone - Sean
    S-EXIF e-EXIF a-EXIF n-EXIF

If you click on any of the above EXIF links it will take you to a post that explains how to make the links in your caption.
    In your case each EXIF link would link to the EXIF for the letter it corresponds to.

Make more sense?
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    awesome challenge!!!
    A few years back, pre-digi, I shot the entire alphabet... I will have to look them over to get some fresh ideas...

And I can see me coming back for proper help with the EXIF linking part!!
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    COOL!!! clap.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    Guest Judge Update!
    We now have a new guest judge for this round, instead of myself.

Welcome, The Curious Camel!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Sean, am I correct in assuming the borders rule doesn't apply to this round?

Edit: NM, just read the rules. :smack
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    bf2015 wrote: »
    Sean, am I correct in assuming the borders rule doesn't apply to this round?

:devbobo your world can have borders or no borders whichever you choose :D
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Only a bit confused, can we spell any word we want or does it need to be name/username? I kept re-reading the instructions and just decide to ask. Thanks!
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    quark wrote: »
    Only a bit confused, can we spell any word we want or does it need to be name/username? I kept re-reading the instructions and just decide to ask. Thanks!

Either or, meaning any word that falls within the stipulations or your name/username.
    I might be missing an or but I hoped the comma would makes sense. Anyway you asked so now I hope it is clear.
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Can people 'parts' be used to form the letters? Or is it strictly inanimate objects? Can you tell I primarily hang out in the people forum? ;)
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    WOW!! Great idea, oh man this is gonna be fun!! This should get the creative juices flowing again!!
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    I may be the only one who doesn't know how to do this, but can someone post instructions on how to combine these several images into one?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    Can people 'parts' be used to form the letters? Or is it strictly inanimate objects? Can you tell I primarily hang out in the people forum? ;)

Yes you can use people parts, as long as they are non offensive and tasteful in nature. :D
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    We now have a new guest judge for this round, instead of myself.

Welcome, The Curious Camel!

thumb.gif

Looking forward to a new learning experience.
    Thanks so much for the opportunity.
    I'll do my best.

g
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I may be the only one who doesn't know how to do this, but can someone post instructions on how to combine these several images into one?

What software do you have to do this with? If you say none, then I wil have to find a freeware package to do instructions for. For now just go shoot your individual letters.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    I don't think I have any software that'll do this. Yes, please show me some freeware. Thanks!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I don't think I have any software that'll do this. Yes, please show me some freeware. Thanks!

Hi Kate,

May I ask what software you used to edit these images?

http://katetaylor.smugmug.com/Architecture/buildings/11916283_c8YVx#843650350_YPoB3
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    Kate...this might help. It really isn't hard at all, just involves using layers and opening a new blank document for the base image (at least this is how I do it.). Here is a link I found...
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-make-a-collage-of-photos.html
    In step 2 though you wouldn't use anything as a base image...just a new blank file. :)
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    Hi again Sean,
    Just wondering if "hue" adjustment is considered a basic editing tool (along the lines w/ vibrance and saturation?), or are hue sliders out of the game? Also, for b/w conversion I'm wondering if warmer black and whites are allowed or only true b/w conversio?. Finally, concerning borders... Is there a limit as to their width? Do they need to be equal on all sides? I'm thinking of going for a matted look (as in one of the links you posted). Thoughts or restrictions on this? Thank you! FUN round :)