Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #52 (Digital Alphabet Soup)

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Pyro to the rescue:

you can use this external web tool that reads exifs from any hosted image:

Example: http://regex.info/exif.cgi?url=http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/jennecho/Winter%20Storm/P1010234.jpg

To recap enter: http://regex.info/exif.cgi?url= into the browser, followed by the url of the image you need.

Edit:
    Also specifically for photobucket, if you link to the image indirectly (through their interface) there is a item on the left sidebar called "image info" which contains the EXIF info.

Example: http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/PyroStorage/?action=view&current=P8234228copy_1_filtered.jpg
    sherstone wrote: »
    Ok looks like your using photobucket to host your photos. I did a few searches for information on photobucket and EXIF and almost nothing came up. The images you posted in the linked threads do not have any EXIF info in them at all. I'm not really sure if photobucket supports EXIF.

What may need to happen is I can set up another gallery that is for EXIF linking only. That way you will be able to upload each letter to the gallery and then link to it using the instructions I gave as a link in the original post. Unless anyone else knows how to get EXIF info to work with photobucket.

I will have to think on this one a bit.

Jenn as an experiment please try uploading something to the gallery and see if the EXIF info shows up for you.
    then let me know here so I can check and delete the test for you.

Thanks.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Ok looks like your using photobucket to host your photos. I did a few searches for information on photobucket and EXIF and almost nothing came up. The images you posted in the linked threads do not have any EXIF info in them at all. I'm not really sure if photobucket supports EXIF.

What may need to happen is I can set up another gallery that is for EXIF linking only. That way you will be able to upload each letter to the gallery and then link to it using the instructions I gave as a link in the original post. Unless anyone else knows how to get EXIF info to work with photobucket.

I will have to think on this one a bit.

Jenn as an experiment please try uploading something to the gallery and see if the EXIF info shows up for you.
    then let me know here so I can check and delete the test for you.

Thanks.

I was looking at the file info of my original images on the folders on my desktop, and they have EXIF info on them, but after I edit/crop them they don't show any EXIF info. I've never done this before so I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong. Am I supposed to submit the original photo with no cropping or simple edits to it because when I edit an image it looks like it loses the EXIF info.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    I was looking at the file info of my original images on the folders on my desktop, and they have EXIF info on them, but after I edit/crop them they don't show any EXIF info. I've never done this before so I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong. Am I supposed to submit the original photo with no cropping or simple edits to it because when I edit an image it looks like it loses the EXIF info.

You can upload both so we can see. It does sound like what ever your doing when editing strips the EXIF info :cry
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Pyro to the rescue:

The indirect link part would work but I am pretty sure Jenn is stripping the EXIF info during the editing even before it gets uploaded to photobucket. This will not work if that is the case.

EDIT: looking at it a bit closer your ideas may work... but the image needs the EXIF info in the first place.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    The indirect link part would work but I am pretty sure Jenn is stripping the EXIF info during the editing even before it gets uploaded to photobucket. This will not work if that is the case.

EDIT: looking at it a bit closer your ideas may work... but the image needs the EXIF info in the first place.

I managed to save the EXIF file from an original and I'm trying to import into the edited image, but it's not working. Not sure why the EXIF info strips when I crop or edit the image. I'm using Photoshop. I'll keep trying.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    I managed to save the EXIF file from an original and I'm trying to import into the edited image, but it's not working. Not sure why the EXIF info strips when I crop or edit the image. I'm using Photoshop. I'll keep trying.

Are you using save as or Save for Web?
    If your using save for web DON'T. because that would be why.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Are you using save as or Save for Web?
    If your using save for web DON'T. because that would be why.

I usually SAVE for WEB because most of my images end up on the web and people want them optimized. I'll try it with just SAVE AS. Thanks! I would have never figured that out! wings.gif

UPDATE: I gave it a try and it worked great! Thanks for the help.

Back to my original question. Laughing.gif Now that I got the EXIF info working...How do I find the url to link to the EXIF so I can do the rules for this challenge properly. thanks........
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    I usually SAVE for WEB because most of my images end up on the web and people want them optimized. I'll try it with just SAVE AS. Thanks! I would have never figured that out! wings.gif

UPDATE: I gave it a try and it worked great! Thanks for the help.

Back to my original question. Laughing.gif Now that I got the EXIF info working...How do I find the url to link to the EXIF so I can do the rules for this challenge properly. thanks........

pyro may have given enough info here
    If you can upload one of your images to your photobucket account and see the same type of Image info that his link shows.
    then your going to be fine. The link for each letter is all that is needed.
    the instructions on how to post it in the gallery caption are here

the url from your photobucket link and the code I give in the link above should make things work.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    pyro may have given enough info here
    If you can upload one of your images to your photobucket account and see the same type of Image info that his link shows.
    then your going to be fine. The link for each letter is all that is needed.
    the instructions on how to post it in the gallery caption are here

the url from your photobucket link and the code I give in the link above should make things work.

I uploaded a test image here: http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/jennecho/TEST%20Album/P1010424-TEST.jpg

Can you see the EXIF info on it?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    NP :*sip*
  • Options
    Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Tim, you really are stuck on pushing the threshold and I commend you for that but... What you are proposing sounds like you are going to be using layers which unfortunately is not really "Basic editing". The stipulations tried to steer you into being creative with how you find the letters and what you do with the idea. Basic editing gives you more than enough tools to complete the task. Now I did allow frames so technically if your frame was made out of another image I can not really fault you for that. ne_nau.gifmwink.gif

You're right Sean, I have been a bit stuck on an idea that immediately popped into my head when I first saw the theme. Perhaps that's a good thing, or maybe not. I think my idea would involve layers ( just 2 layers, the background and the letters ) but all the same it is more editing than could be considered basic.

My idea was more about creative USE of the letter and not a creative FINDING of the letters.

I might do it along with a proper entry, save wasteing an idea, they seem to be getting rarer for me these days:D:D A waist is a terrible thing to mind.:D:D:D

Tim
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    Heads up!
    The gallery is starting to fill up but some of you are missing the proper EXIF link information.
    A single link to a gallery is fine. but entries without all the EXIF info for each letter if taken separately will be disqualified.

If you need help please ask here.deal.gif

Thanks.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    EXIF's
    You just answered my question about EXIF's. We CAN use a gallery then to show them? That would be so much easier.

The EXIF thing has been stressing me out for days. :grim I'm not a computer whiz, so that was a big deal for me.

Ha - this whole challenge has been stressing me out. I almost sat this one out because it seemed too overwhelming. I made myself get a grip and just do it. Once I got my idea, I was okay.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I almost sat this one out because it seemed too overwhelming.

Yes a gallery that has all of your letters with the EXIF information viewable for each of them is perfectly fine.
    I am so glad you pushed yourself to get past your feeling of overwhelmingness (is that a word?)thumb.gif
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Sean... two questions/issues:
    I uploaded my image to the gallery and posted the exif links using the format that you posted. When I click on my link, it only says that the images were created and modified on June 6. ... no other data. Is this right? Everyone else's exif links to all of the data.

I can just make a gallery for the images that I used and post the link to the gallery if that works.

Second question... I took a photo of my yellow background and posted the exif data for it. then I trimmed my items and put them on my background. Is that OK? I did it this way because when I posted the images compiled side by side, several folks commented that they'd like to see a contiguous, single hue background.

Let me know if any of this puts me in DQ territory.

Thanks.... Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    Sean... two questions/issues:
    I uploaded my image to the gallery and posted the exif links using the format that you posted. When I click on my link, it only says that the images were created and modified on June 6. ... no other data. Is this right? Everyone else's exif links to all of the data.

I can just make a gallery for the images that I used and post the link to the gallery if that works.

Second question... I took a photo of my yellow background and posted the exif data for it. then I trimmed my items and put them on my background. Is that OK? I did it this way because when I posted the images compiled side by side, several folks commented that they'd like to see a contiguous, single hue background.

Let me know if any of this puts me in DQ territory.

Thanks.... Chris

I have already answered the first question. A gallery is acceptable. Your EXIF links do not link to EXIF data at the moment any way, they just link to the individual images.
    This is what I consider EXIF data.

You get to this type of link by viewing the "Photo Info" and then clicking on the title "Photo information" see image below
    892290990_ecVvD-O.jpg

If you copy the link to the result of clicking above you have an url to your EXIF info.
    As I said a link to a gallery will also suffice.

In regards to your second question.

No this is considered beyond basic editing and it looks as though you have removed the original background by either masking out or cutting out the original image. Entries that are done in this manner will be disqualified for going beyond basic editing. I am sorry.
    Looking at your images in the supplied links I see the background is already yellow. You will have to try your best to match the color from letter to letter via basic editing or allow for a slight variation for each frame.

I hope that answers your questions sufficiently.

Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Tina
    I was one of the ones who mentioned the background. I should have said though, that getting the BG the same color is difficult. I had been having that same issue myself (still am).

Just do what you can do and let it go. The perils of individual contiguous backgrounds!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Sean,
    I thought this might go beyond 'basic". which is why I asked. I don't mind starting again with my original images. I learned lots of new things by making this entry in PS, so it's not a total loss, at all.

I have enough info now to post the exifs when I work out a new image.

Thanks for your help.... Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    I hope the information helps not only you but anyone else reading the thread.
    I'm glad you are not discouraged and will start over with your original images. :D
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Just a teeny question about linking the EXIF's. Should we provide original photos before any basic editing has been done (*crops, rotations, levels) or should we link the photo as it will appear in the final version or does it matter? I'm guessing the essental is just that the date taken conforms to the contest period. Thanks for all the help Sean! :D
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Thanks for asking, Kelly.
    Posting Exif links before any editing is certainly much better and easier for myself when trying to evaluate whether or not each entry has conformed to the full set of Stipulations and rules. You are correct in saying that the Exif date is the main thing I will be looking for, but in this round the "basic editing" stipulation makes my job a little bit harder.

So the official answer is before edits if at all possible please.

Thanks.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Is sharpening from raw capture in the "basic editing" category (I see NR is ok)? Just checking (and apologies if this was asked already - I did scan the thread, but if I missed it... mea culpa!). FWIW, I'm thinking of the sliders in LR (which is where I process my raw files, but I guess it's the same in ACR), not unsharp mask and all the others in PS.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Is sharpening from raw capture in the "basic editing" category (I see NR is ok)?

Thanks!

I have updated #6 in the OP to reflect the answer to your question as well I have tightened up the stipulation to clarify that layering beyond basic adjustment layers is not part of basic editing.

6. Only basic editing is to be used in this challenge. Basic editing includes: cropping, rotation, resize, levels, curves, hue, contrast adjustment, spot or dust removal, saturation or vibrancy and sharpening. Basic editing does not include the use of filters other than noise removal if required, layers, layer masks or composite techniques. The use of adjustment layers to achieve the already mentioned things; like curves and hue, are okay to use as long as none of the adjustment layers go outside of the already defined "basic editing" criteria.

The text in italics are the changes since my first posting.

So... divamum, your answer is YES
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Sean,
    Who knew this challenge would make me hate the letter "N"--it eludes me.
    It's my final letter!!!!!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Need for "N", Naturally leads to Nausia rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    For me the "R" was difficult to find :D
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    "N" was my bete-noir too, Liz. I found one that sorta kinda works, but I'm not convinced yet, and want to find another one. We'll see.... I'm proud of the "G" i came up with though. :D
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    "N" was my bete-noir too, Liz. I found one that sorta kinda works, but I'm not convinced yet, and want to find another one. We'll see.... I'm proud of the "G" i came up with though. :D

Divamum, Photobug:
    Glad I'm not alone.

I too am proud of one of two my letters. I love "A" and "W":)

N is for nemesis--and nausea like Sean said--and nasty.

I will prevail!
    Unless someone beats me to my themeeek7.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________