Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #52 (Digital Alphabet Soup)

Comments

• Options
    Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Unless someone beats me to my themeeek7.gif.

That is always my worry, every time my struggling brain cell coughs up an idea, it immediately goes into a convulsion thinking that someone else will get the same idea and produce an image that blows mine out of the water.

Tim
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Velvet-Art wrote: »
    That is always my worry, every time my struggling brain cell coughs up an idea, it immediately goes into a convulsion thinking that someone else will get the same idea and produce an image that blows mine out of the water.

Tim

ah, I'm in good neurotic company rolleyes1.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Tim, Liz...this is funny because someone DID beat me to my theme this time. I actually took this on June 1st, I had it ready and edited, but didn't post it! Next thing I know there is another entry with the SAME word....Off to the drawing board again for me. So now I end up with two totally different entries! Uuugh :) Only makes it more fun in the end, I guess. I even had my EXIF gallery ready and everything. I do love my new ice-cream cone entry though ;) Maybe it was a good thing. Although cleaning up the red footprints ALL over the kitchen and entry floor was not very fun when my little munchkin wandered off with the red finger paint all over her foot! Laughing.gif!

My June 1st version of "Love", which will never see the light of day...
    886261211_hEFLo-M.jpg
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    Tim, Liz...this is funny because someone DID beat me to my theme this time...

This was a nice one, but I find your current entry much funnier :D

But anyway, I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one neurotic here :uhoh

rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    I was seeing "Ns" all weekend, but didn't need one. I needed two "Os" which were eluding me until at the end of the day I was walking back from a show ring with my head hanging low, and there it was right there on the ground....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    HoofClix wrote: »
    I was seeing "Ns" all weekend, but didn't need one. I needed two "Os" which were eluding me until at the end of the day I was walking back from a show ring with my head hanging low, and there it was right there on the ground....

He, he... I saw it :puke
    rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    This will make a fabulous Valentine's day card, no? It should definitely have an opportunity to see the light of day.

Your current entry is pretty awesome, too, though, and I think is
    Tim, Liz...this is funny because someone DID beat me to my theme this time. I actually took this on June 1st, I had it ready and edited, but didn't post it! Next thing I know there is another entry with the SAME word....Off to the drawing board again for me. So now I end up with two totally different entries! Uuugh :) Only makes it more fun in the end, I guess. I even had my EXIF gallery ready and everything. I do love my new ice-cream cone entry though ;) Maybe it was a good thing. Although cleaning up the red footprints ALL over the kitchen and entry floor was not very fun when my little munchkin wandered off with the red finger paint all over her foot! Laughing.gif!

My June 1st version of "Love", which will never see the light of day...
    886261211_hEFLo-200x200.jpg

Oops, I didn't finish. Your current entry is more summer-like, and seems better for the season.
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Each letter should be shot as a separate photo this will give each one their own EXIF. When you put them all together in editing software the final image will only have one EXIF but you will need to link to each of the original EXIF's in your entry caption.

Here is what the caption should look like if I was using my name as my word.

sherstone - Sean
    S-EXIF e-EXIF a-EXIF n-EXIF

If you click on any of the above EXIF links it will take you to a post that explains how to make the links in your caption.
    In your case each EXIF link would link to the EXIF for the letter it corresponds to.

Make more sense?

Well ... I think I got it done! I fumbled around until I got the final image uploaded and added a caption. I'm not sure how to get a url that goes to each individual EXIF file, tho. So, I added a link to the album url all the images are in. If you let me know how I get the url for the individual EXIFS I can edit it (if I can figure out how!) Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Jenn, your link to the gallery will work just fine. Since your using photobucket to host your images I think this is probably the best way to post an EXIF since I can go to each photo and use the image info tool on the left to see your EXIF info.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Jenn, your link to the gallery will work just fine. Since your using photobucket to host your images I think this is probably the best way to post an EXIF since I can go to each photo and use the image info tool on the left to see your EXIF info.

Thanks

You said you wanted the originals, so I'm also uploading those files although they are large files. In addition, I uploaded each individual letter that was cropped, resized, and edited using the simple techniques you mentioned. I did use PhotoScape to put it all together... LOVE IT!

I spent days thinking about what word I wanted to do and never could decide... nothing inspired me until today. :D It was in front of me all along. Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    You said you wanted the originals,

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    This will make a fabulous Valentine's day card, no? It should definitely have an opportunity to see the light of day.

Your current entry is more summer-like, and seems better for the season.

THANK you Sunflowerstudio for the nice comment AND the great idea for a Valentines day card! I absolutely had not thought of that. I'm definately going to take you up on that!!! :D
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Sean,
    In my haste to run out and play with my new 7d I'am afraid I have the time wrong in camera- dates are correct however time isn't. (Noticed when uploading exif info into gallery) It is opposite ie...I was shooting close to midday not midnight. Do I need to reshoot?
    Thanks,
    Amanda
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2010
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    Do I need to reshoot?
    Amanda

No Time is not critical unless it says it was shot before the start date. Which I am guessing it does not. It is the date that is important.

Thanks for asking.:D

EDIT: By the way - Congrats on the new Camera body!
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Thank you!
    Dates are fine- just fyi my daughter and I had a blast out hunting for letters, what a fun challenge.clap.gif
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    I won't be able to ge my "N" until Saturday!!!!!

NOBODY TAKE MY WORD!!!!
    Which I can't share right now, just don't take it anyway:)

Sean---Does this challenge come with complimentary Xanex?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2010
    Sean---Does this challenge come with complimentary Xanex?

It does if Xanex is your word rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Have I mis-read the for this challenge, that the word be my name or dgrin name? It seems like a lot of the entries just picked any word, not their name or dgrin name. So is it ok to use any word I want?
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Have I mis-read the for this challenge, that the word be my name or dgrin name? It seems like a lot of the entries just picked any word, not their name or dgrin name. So is it ok to use any word I want?

From the first page:

"The challenge is to either spell one word or your name or your Dgrin user name using a photo of an object that looks like a letter of the alphabet for each of the letters in your word."
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010

one word or your name or your Dgrin user name

You're good to go =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2010

Short answer is: Yes

I have updated the paragraph with an "or" instead of a comma to help.

The challenge is to either spell one word or your name or your Dgrin user name using a photo of an object that looks like a letter of the alphabet for each of the letters in your word.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    A word.
    I wanted to address the group as a whole regarding the tough decisions behind having to disqualify entries.

Normally I do not worry about disqualifications for entries until the morning of closing when the gallery needs to be cleaned up so that the judges can view each of the entries not having to worry if the entry conforms to all of the rules.

This time around I have introduced a new twist in that there is now a definition about what is "basic editing". This new stipulation has been the cause of many more questions than usual. Normally according to the rules any amount of editing including composites are allowed in each round unless specified. Now that I have introduced the "basic editing" test it has made for a much tougher set of things that need to be monitored. I accept that there is going to be a learning curve on both sides and this round has certainly introduced many things that I have learned from.

My only regret in introducing the "basic editing" component is that I am forced to have to disqualify entries that are full of the creativity that I am hoping to see born out of each of the themes. The basic editing is there for a reason this round and the main reason is that I wanted each of the contestants to find or physically manufacture letter forms. I did not want to see an image that was close and then modified through cloning, burning, or other manipulation to achieve a letter.

If you have read this far you will realize that there is an entry that I have had to pre-qualify or rather dis-qualify due to several reasons. I struggled for several days trying to justify all the reasons why it could be allowed, but in the end to be fair to everyone I finally contacted Froch via PM to explain my concerns. I agonized over having to do this mostly because I feel his entry is not only creative but a great example of taking a theme and producing a wonderful message through imagery.

The image in question can be found here, what follows is a complete quote from my PM to him to explain my concerns:
    Paul,

I love your entry and I really wish I could just leave it be and let the judges decide. The problem is I have introduced a basic editing Stipulation this round and to be fair to all of the other contestants I need to address some things in your entry that go beyond what is considered basic editing.

I would have preferred to start this whole conversation in the public threads but you did not start one to solicit opinions so I have decided for now to just PM you about it.

My biggest concern is one of the stipulations is that you may not use letter forms from existing signs. I know they are blurred out and you have use 2 "O"s to make an M and that very creative and cool but... it pushes the threshold of the stipulation almost to the edge of the breaking point. Where it goes beyond the stipulation is that you have burned in parts to manipulated the shape even further. That burning in is definitely beyond what I would consider basic editing.

Other things that brush the edge of going beyond basic editing are: The shadow and bevel on each of the letters. Also the fact that you have stretched or compressed some of the pieces to once again mold your images to the desired letter shape.

The image being used as reference in the background while being another layer could be interpreted as a frame so technically I would allow it.

I absolutely wish that I had not introduced the basic editing criteria since it is exactly this type of entry that I love to see. full of creativity! Unfortunately I have put that stipulation forth and need to stick to it and be fair to everyone.

Let me know your thoughts, and also if you think the rest of the community would benefit from what I have typed above.

Paul was very understanding and open to me sharing the information in hopes that everyone else will be aware of the things in the entry that go beyond the "stipulations". I want to be clear that I never felt that this was done intentionally and figured that it was probably a matter of not fully reading the requirements. Indeed in his own words this is the case.

I will leave the entry active for everyone to see, until it is marked to be deleted by Froch or until it comes time to clean up the gallery for judging. Paul has said he will work on another entry or possibly he will revise this current one to better conform to the intended theme guidelines.

I have said these things in hopes that everyone will benefit in this round and future rounds as well.
    Of course there are other choices that could have been made including letting the judges decide if an entry conformed to all of the so called rules. But it is not fair to ask a judge to make that decision when traditionally it is the moderators responsibility to make sure of these things.

I welcome everyone to discuss this and any other questions that it may bring up. What I do ask though is that the decision be accepted for what it is.

Thanks,

P.S. Please also make sure that you add at least a link to your EXIF gallery I still see at least one entry that is missing EXIF information. As well your title should only be the single word you have chosen, nothing more.
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Sean,

Just wanted to send a quick note of thanks for the consideration shown in your decision. I appreciate your thoughtful manner in reaching out to me to point out the questionable areas. Thanks!

P
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    Really tough decision to make, Sean. Artistic interpretation and challenge limitations make this a tough one for sure! I certainly don't envy the judges this round either. Not going to be easy eek7.gif This challenge has really sparked up some creative juices.

Paul..GREAT image whether it is included in the challenge or not, it is wonderful and inspiring. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    Really tough decision to make, Sean. Artistic interpretation and challenge limitations make this a tough one for sure! I certainly don't envy the judges this round either. Not going to be easy eek7.gif This challenge has really sparked up some creative juices.

Paul..GREAT image whether it is included in the challenge or not, it is wonderful and inspiring. thumb.gif

Thanks Kelly! As I wrote to Sean, just the fact that people have "looked" at it, enjoyed it, and took the time to comment means alot. I completely agree with the decision. Thanks again!
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    I must say that this has been the most confusing set of guidelines. I have been reading all of the clarifications and am thankful that Sean seems to have unlimited patience!!!

My own confusion came from not understanding what was considered basic editing. Since I'm fairly new to PS, I consider anything I do to be basic.

I have updated my entry again, because as I read the evolving clarifications, I didn't see cloning listed as a 'can use' editing tool. I had shaved the tips of my U and S to make them crisper and I guess that wasn't OK. So, I have replaced them.

In the process, I figured out how to smooth out the knitted background from my S using just the basic editing tools listed. So, I learned another skill. I also learned about adjustment layers. Thanks, Sean!

Sean, keep challenging us!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    I saw Froch's image already and thought it was very creative too! I'm looking forward to whatever his replacement image is going to be. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    I saw Froch's image already and thought it was very creative too! I'm looking forward to whatever his replacement image is going to be. :)

Thanks Jenn! :o)
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Sean and Paul - you are both class acts thumb.gif

(and Paul, that's a very cool image, although I have to say I think I like your current contender better! :D)
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Guidelines
    I also had a very hard time staying with basics. I was dying to clone out the reflections in my filters for the letter "H". I tried many times to avoid the reflections but with or without flash, there was no way to avoid it (not that I have found).

Paul - I like your second submission as much as the first - good luck!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/