Options

>> challenge 15 - comment and critiques thread <<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 28, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
this is the place to put your potential submissions in to dgrin challenge 15, "movement," for comments, critique, and feedback by fellow dgrinners.

Comments

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    I woke up this morning knowing it was motion Thursday so I got my butt in motion and after I dropped the kid off at school I went downtown.

Title: Cyclepathic Grin
    5230590-L.jpg

Title : Goosestepping
    5230589-M.jpg
    Tim

Belligerent Blader
    5230591-M.jpg

My fav is Cyclepathic Grin due to the color emotion and capture of highrises in the background. Also it is my first ever attempt at a panning style shot.

Goosesteping is okay but it is not on my short list.

Belligerent Blader is so-so for me , he sure did not like the fact his picture was taken maybe he is a wanted criminal ne_nau.gif

Critiques ,Comments Snide scathing remarks and pithy replys or even accolades all are appreciated .

Tim

• Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    I like the first one too, but it gives me a little too much sense of motion (uneasy feeling). I think it would be great if you got his face crisp like the back of his helmet.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    I woke up this morning knowing it was motion Thursday so I got my butt in motion and after I dropped the kid off at school I went downtown.

Title: Cyclepathic Grin

Title : Goosestepping

Tim

Belligerent Blader

My fav is Cyclepathic Grin due to the color emotion and capture of highrises in the background. Also it is my first ever attempt at a panning style shot.

Goosesteping is okay but it is not on my short list.

Belligerent Blader is so-so for me , he sure did not like the fact his picture was taken maybe he is a wanted criminal ne_nau.gif

Critiques ,Comments Snide scathing remarks and pithy replys or even accolades all are appreciated .

Tim

Hey shakey,
    We've hardly started but 3 gooodunns already!!!! thumb.gif

Doh......Just read the thread tiltle....Not #2??? #3 I think
  • Options
    mystic7mystic7 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    The Zen of Running
    I thought it was the other thread we had to put our submissions in. I'm soooo confused!
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    mystic7 wrote:
    I thought it was the other thread we had to put our submissions in. I'm soooo confused!

it's not clear?

this thread is for comments and critiques. the other thread is for your final submission . thumb.gif
  • Options
    mystic7mystic7 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    andy wrote:
    it's not clear?

this thread is for comments and critiques. the other thread is for your final submission . thumb.gif
    Well, now I'm REALLY confused! ;-)
    M7
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    This is also my favorite of these, but then I'm very partial to anything having to do with cycling. Perhaps crop just a tad lower left. The white in sky upper left is distracting, and you don't need quite so much on the right.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    mystic7 wrote:
    Very evocative for anyone who ever runs on the beach or sees others doing so. I like the shadow and downward angle.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    Ginger, this is beautiful. Is it a fox?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    Another shot I am mulling over but this is more of a freeze frame capture.
    Untitled
    5257904-L.jpg

Tim
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    benevolent host chiming in ....
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Rutt, thank you. No it is not a fox, it is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi dog, and she really is hiding from the rain. Smile.

Tennis Child (as posted on the official site, but would be happy to have other takes on it)

by ginger

freeze frame, vs movement. a difficult choice. imo the tennis child, too much motion blur. practice with varying shutter speeds. i find that 1/10th does it for me about 50% of the time. it's a *feel* sort of thing.

here... the 12:09 hudson line express train... the scene and rear of the train are razor sharp, but the front shows juuuust enough movement to make you almost step aback a sec -- well at least at 16x20" it does mwink.gif

4051465-M.jpg

d'ya see what i'm talking about?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    So.... I can think of two ways to do this challenge. One is to blur everything but the point of focus. The other is to stop motion in a dramatic way. Anyone see a third or fourth option?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    ginger i like your attitude!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    d'ya see what i'm talking about?
    Well, yes I do, Andy. The funny thing was that my shutter speed was 1/20, and that didn't give me enough blur, so I lowered it to 1/10, so the shutterspeed was in the range, but I am doing horizontal panning, etc, and you have a train about to hit you, or something.

I know, that this will mean that I will not get into the finals, but I do like my shot of the tennis player, as an art form. And somewhere you have emphasized that we must self judge, too. I have about a week left, and there are other picures I will probably take, but I don't think I will get another child tennis player situation like that one. I am glad I had my camera.

The picture I took of the polo players was lost in the hurricane of "89, Hugo, and it was much more blurred than these. I am just going to sit and enjoy these shots for awhile.

Now, I do love your comments, and I hope you keep making them. I mean don't "throw me out", because I am obstinate. Your comments give me other things to think about. Now do you see what I mean in the art forms of more blur? Laughing.gif, probably not.

I do want you to know that I did not seriously consider entering the shot of the dog hiding from the rain, well, if I had I would have cut down some of that blur. Oh, and please clarify what you consider a digital wide angle lens, I would hate to vote on it, and find I didn't have the lens.

ginger[/QUOTE]

i'd like the tennis girl - i'd love it with a clear background and just the girl moving. it's tough to do - and so i really dig your attitude, ginger!

keep it up, you are an inspiration, do you know that?
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    I dropped my cell phone and Astro quickly retrieved it.

MY CELL PHONE!!

5265337-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    To Sandy
    Sandy wrote:
    I dropped my cell phone and Astro quickly retrieved it.

That is funny, I love it!

Are you now "speechless"?

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    Letting go?
    I've posted lots of little league action shots on dgrin this spring. Mostly, I've tried to take conservative good sports shots like you might see in Sports Illustrated or something. I like getting these, especially when I can hook an interesting little story (It was ugly...) or question (Was he out?) on them. So I have some of these were shot Thursday night, e.g.:

5248202-L.jpg

(could be his rookie baseball card?)

5247881-L.jpg

Needs a little PS work to crop, straighten, make the colors pop, but a hard capture to get.

5248072-L.jpg

Again needs a little (maybe more than a little) PS work to make the background less destracting, but nice shot of a good hit.

Fine. I can take this kind of picture and I've been practicing all spring and there is one more game. Fine.

But I also have some that I have a harder time evaluating. They might be much better than the classic action shots above or they might be much worse.

5248064-L.jpg

This one tells a story. The pitcher has to decide whether to get the easy out at first or try to get the lead runner at second. The second baseman has a strong opinion about this. But does is the composition strong enough to hold the viewer's interest while s/he decodes the story?

5247914-L.jpg

I love the composition of this one and it certainly expresses movement. Should I be unhappy that I didn't get his face?

5248258-L.jpg

This one is really at the edge of my self confidence. It's pretty abstract, but I think the composition works. And there is no question about movement.

Comments, please.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    A little night shooting.

5270060-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    A little night shooting.

5270060-L.jpg
    Very cool and interesting, Sid. BUt what is it? Looks like one of my bad dreams.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    Hey Rutt. This one is really cool because it shows the movement in the pitcher's hand only, the most importrant "part" of a pitcher. His form is captured at the peak of movement, before the follow-through. Nice. Maybe crop some of the top out to emphasize the action...but I guess if this were the big leagues, the blurry crowd would look cool...

5248202-S.jpg

This one is filled with personality. I hear your voice more in this one than I do in any of the others. Maybe try a few more in this style. I like it. There is a lot of emotion and power in the runner, almost like "the agony of defeat" like they used to say on ABC's Wide World of Sports. This one is really good. He's trying so hard, running...

5248258-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Hey Rutt.
    Thanks, Damon. This is the kind of useful feedback I was looking for. With the baseball pictures, I've taken so many at the same field it's gotten to be time for me to look for ways to break out of the most obvious style. Feedback is really helpful for this because one is so close to one's own work that it's easy to love things that nobody else will be able to.

Last night I got this:

5267909-L.jpg

I was very conciously trying to tell the story of how badly the Expos were trying to even the score in the bottom of the fith.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    You can feel the tension in this one. In the context of a photo essay, this would work. As an individual picture, though, you should close the aperture so we can see the scoreboard...and thus feel the pressure...the bat in this one is cool and the blurry boy in the background really works...I also like how the batter is in the lower right-hand corner. It makes it feel like he needs to get somewhere, very dynamic.

5267909-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    In the context of a photo essay, this would work. As an individual picture, though, you should close the aperture so we can see the scoreboard...
    and the rest of the ugly and distracting background. Shooting baseball in this park is a real tradeoff. Not all angles are possible and it takes time to move between some of the possible viewpoints. The ones down the third base line are taken from just to the batter's right of the backstop. There is only one place to shoot there, I have to cosy up to the fence and poke the camera around the backstop. I'm not allowed to go inside the fence any closer to the home teams dugout (anymore. In the beginning of the season the young umps let me do it, but the comminisioner has a thing about it and put a stop to it.) So I like this angle very much, but it's all to easy to get bad shots like this:

5267614-M.jpg

This could be rotated a bit to straighten it out, but it isn't really good enough to try to fix. I just wanted you to see what's in the background from this angle.

I could tell you all the details of the viewpoints possible in this park. I mean I really could go on about it. But that would be off message...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    Wow. The park looks so much smaller here. You did a great job in the others in that the park seems large. Here I feel cramped. Interesting...perspective changes everything, eh? I see why you opened the aperture for these...

5267614-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Wow. The park looks so much smaller here. You did a great job in the others in that the park seems large. Here I feel cramped. Interesting...perspective changes everything, eh?
    The tele makes things look cramped if you close it down because it loses natural perspective (or something like that). It narrows the difference in size between things that are far away and things that are closer, just the opposite of how wide angle makes things recede into the background more quickly.

In reality, this is a nice big park and there is quite a lot of space between the outfield fence and the playground in the background. The tele just compresses it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    benevolent host pre-comments
    rutt wrote:
    I've posted lots of little league action shots on dgrin this spring. Mostly, I've tried to take conservative good sports shots like you might see in Sports Illustrated or something. I like getting these, especially when I can hook an interesting little story (It was ugly...) or question (Was he out?) on them. So I have some of these were shot Thursday night, e.g.:

5248202-S.jpg

(could be his rookie baseball card?)

5247881-S.jpg

Needs a little PS work to crop, straighten, make the colors pop, but a hard capture to get.

5248072-S.jpg

Again needs a little (maybe more than a little) PS work to make the background less destracting, but nice shot of a good hit.

Fine. I can take this kind of picture and I've been practicing all spring and there is one more game. Fine.

But I also have some that I have a harder time evaluating. They might be much better than the classic action shots above or they might be much worse.

5248064-S.jpg

This one tells a story. The pitcher has to decide whether to get the easy out at first or try to get the lead runner at second. The second baseman has a strong opinion about this. But does is the composition strong enough to hold the viewer's interest while s/he decodes the story?

5247914-S.jpg

I love the composition of this one and it certainly expresses movement. Should I be unhappy that I didn't get his face?

5248258-S.jpg

This one is really at the edge of my self confidence. It's pretty abstract, but I think the composition works. And there is no question about movement.

Comments, please.

you are really good at the LL shots mwink.gif

numbers one and 3 could benefet from a bit more context (scene) imo. number two is nice - number one i wish the ball was in the shot, upper left - number four seems a bit u.e. (can fix in post?) number 5 - where's the base? need that for context. number 6 i think is great compo but i want a bit more, i think it's just a bit too zoomed in. the face is great.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    Some of the photos I've seen so far have really been wonderful... Looks like this is one assignment that will really have everyone moving!
    ginette
    Hummers: One
    5267270-L.jpg

Hummers: Two
    5267259-L.jpg

Hummers: Three
    5267257-L.jpg

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    andy wrote:
    number 5 - where's the base? need that for context..
    Yes, this reflects another tradeoff I've learned to make for shooting these games. 9 times out of 10 I want portrait orentation. People are vertical beings, after all and even group shots of baseball action tend to be closely grouped. But once in a while, the players get horizontal (as in this shot) and these are by far the coolest shots and I wish (afterward) that I had been holding the camera the other way or that I had the presence of mind to zoom out a little. But when the players get horizontal, things are happening very fast and it is very hard to react. That's actually the fun and challenge of shooting baseball. It is very easy to set up to shoot the pitchers' moves or one batter after another, and then sometimes you get a cool shot with the ball in the air. But getting the fielding and base running action is a pretty advanced hand/eye coordination excersise, on a par with baseball itself.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    All three hummer shots are very nice captures. Consider cropping to streghthen the composition and some kind of color correction to bring up the details of the birds. I did this with #3

5273763-O.jpg

The color correction I used was PS/CS shadow/highlights. I started with the default settings and turned down the shadow amount and tonal range until it looked good to me; not really a science yet. Could probably be improved further by LAB A+B steepening afterwards and LAB L USM after that. Not worth doing that except with the original.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    All three hummer shots are very nice captures.
    Oh, and if you can shoot the hummers again, it might be fun to shoot a fast enough exposure to freeze their wings. Mabe back off of this a little then so you can actually see the wings but with a little motion blur?

It looks like you might be well set up to shoot them every day. That sort of setup would entrap me and become a huge obsession.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    From Ginger re color/motion/ style
    I knew I had seen, and admired, colored blurred shots of action by a famous photographer in many years past. I just absolutely love his work, I was probably studying it, by myself, in the seventies, I was so envious and admiring. He was a member of Magnum. His name is/was ERNEST HAAS. From my google search this morning I discovered that he died in 1985.
    I notice that most of his VERY blurred pictures of motion appear to be taken in the last half of the 1950s. One is called BULL FIGHT, another is called MOTION: RUNNERS. I would suggest this man's work be googled before a strong critique of my own work. I did not do any motion photography then, but I put these pictures in the back of my head, and I fear my head has released them in this assignment.
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.