>> challenge 15 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    5429381-M.jpg

5429471-M.jpg
    I love the kids on the swing too, I also love this one..woman in a top hat and flowers... has a touch of Dagas about it somehow.. I'd like the kids on the swing to have a little more punch, maybe a little saturation and contrast.. I don't know.. great shot.[/QUOTE]
    You're right lynn, the kids need more saturation. I really like the shot of the
    lady in the hat too. I was lucky to get it as she wisked by, my digital is usually at rest. I love Quick Drink.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    Thanks, that's great. Its a much better photo now.

tmlphoto wrote:
    cmr164 wrote:
    The kid at bat would be also really nice but the caution horse folded up behind the batter messes it up badly. I am thinking that would be very hard to edit out.

Sandy,
    I hope you don't mind, I tried a little photoshop magic on your picture. I love the way you can see the boy looking right at the ball. Nice shot.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    I would say artistic blur, it feels like your looking at the kids through a pane of glass. Great shot.

tmlphoto wrote:
    "Beach Combing"

5441336-L.jpg

I tried out some very long exposure shots at dusk tonight. Any comments? Pushing the limits of artistic blur, perhaps just blurry?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    Another "digitally remastered" version of one of my favorite LL shots. Thanks to Ginger and her husband for cropping suggestions.

5450519-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    5429381-S.jpg

Classic shot, Sandy!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    Re various topics
    The lady with the flowers, the Degas shot, it is really growing on me.
    I like it a lot by now.

Also, I would love to know how the baseball background and ball were done.
    (was it a whole lot of work?) (I get impatient at a lot of work)

Rutt, I like what you did with the cropping a lot.

(I just have to straighten out the facts on my husband and me re your shot, Rutt. I have to take all the credit there. Immodesty requires me to take all the credit. My husband just thought it needed more space on the right side, so I guess you would have had to throw it out. His comments are always taken by me as a challenge, so I worked on it, knew it would work, even my husband then admitted it did (always happens). I will say your cropping was the best.....I think. I did not think you would want me messing with your photo, so I never told you I had.)

ginger (went to sleep early and couldn't wake up, til now 7 AM EDT USA)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The lady with the flowers, the Degas shot, it is really growing on me.
    I like it a lot by now.

Also, I would love to know how the baseball background and ball were done.
    (was it a whole lot of work?) (I get impatient at a lot of work)

Rutt, I like what you did with the cropping a lot.

(I just have to straighten out the facts on my husband and me re your shot, Rutt. I have to take all the credit there. Immodesty requires me to take all the credit. My husband just thought it needed more space on the right side, so I guess you would have had to throw it out. His comments are always taken by me as a challenge, so I worked on it, knew it would work, even my husband then admitted it did (always happens). I will say your cropping was the best.....I think. I did not think you would want me messing with your photo, so I never told you I had.)

ginger (went to sleep early and couldn't wake up, til now 7 AM EDT USA)
    Ginger, I used the clone stamp tool in Photoshop to clone out the sign and move the baseball. It only took about 5 min to do this, but it would take a little more time to really do a professional job. This tool is available on both PS elements and PS CS. Basically, you clone or copy one part of the picture to another with a round "brush". The size selected depends on the area you are cloning. I'm sure Cletus can give many more details. For the baseball I selected the tool size to match the ball and then cloned it to a new location with just a couple of quick clicks. The best way to master this tool is the play around with it. This tool is also very useful for touching up small facial blemishes and other distacting elements in a picture. There is also a "healing" brush available that is similar, but somehow matches the area better. I'm sure others know alot more about this than I do.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Social motion didn't seem to cut it, so I looked for more concrete motion.

In the playground:

Martial arts class for 100 children of parents at a conference:

And I PS'ed away some color/brightness problems for an oldie (way back on 17 June):
    I like the one with the child at the wheel at playtime..
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    cant use this as it's not fresh but have nothing new to post and want to join in:D
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    Leap of Faith
    Here's my daughter leaping off a rock. Thoughts? Comments?
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    First thought: "Good girl! Jump higher!"

Second thought: "Hhmm.. I like the intensity of color here, that BRIGHT blue sky framing all her little girl colors of clothing and jewelry." This is one shot where it seems to really be all about the color.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    cant use this as it's not fresh but have nothing new to post and want to join in:D
    Lynn, I am dizy.........lol. why don't you go in the kitchen, run some water and take a picture of it. Or take a bath.............. I know there would be movement there. g
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    Great Shot, Newbie
    spockling wrote:
    I think you are a pro, or a natural, and I don't want to hear any more about you being new at this. Also, I have moved out of the way for fear your daughter might land on me, so effective is the feeling of movement, imo.

ginger (Love kids, that angle is genius)
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I think you are a pro, or a natural, and I don't want to hear any more about you being new at this. Also, I have moved out of the way for fear your daughter might land on me, so effective is the feeling of movement, imo.

ginger (Love kids, that angle is genius)
    Ginger, Thanks for the kind wordsnod.gif , but as Shakey will atest to, I am a newbie. Me thinks I was just lucky.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    5399286-S.jpg

Cool shot, great blend of blurs and focus. The converging lines give it depth & make you think he' s travelling to our left, but he must be going right?? (I think)
    Yes I do believe he was moving to the right, if I recall correctly.

Just FYI the only photoshop adjustment done was a slight level adjustment.

I to liked this the best of the bunch, but I thought it might have too much blur. Thanks for the feedback.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Great Capture! That is a keeper! Good aspect and colors it certainly speaks movement to me.

And that is not luck at all that is the result of a well thought out idea or the
    Initiative to explore new aspects ! Well done

Tim
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    Leap of Faith
    Or is this one better?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    color, colour, color (IMO):D
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    Another one for consideration. Comments please.
    "Fleeing the Storm"

5461035-L.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    Not better
    spockling wrote:
    Or is this one better?
    I like all the color............can I just say "no"

g
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    I still like the kid
    tmlphoto wrote:
    "Fleeing the Storm"
    In a few months you can do that. Right now, the kid, so far that I have seen.
    (I think the bird is out of focus, and I also think there are people here who could do that better in a composite, but I don't think anyone could do the kid, just my humble opinion, as always.) g
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    In a few months you can do that. Right now, the kid, so far that I have seen.
    (I think the bird is out of focus, and I also think there are people here who could do that better in a composite, but I don't think anyone could do the kid, just my humble opinion, as always.) g
    I think you are right. I changed the picture to a photoshop composite that works much better. Thanks for the comments. I think that I like my other picture better as well. I'm kinda getting into an abstract mood this week.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    5410601-Th.jpg

David, I really like this picture of your daughter, could be my screen but I find the grass almost dayglo????
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    >>>attn gubbs<<<
    please pick *one* image, gubby deal.gif

if you are looking for help, post 'em in the comments and critiques thread...

thanks!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    5410601-Th.jpg

David, I really like this picture of your daughter, could be my screen but I find the grass almost dayglo????

It is pretty intense. I did nothing to it (color/levels-wise), beyond RAW conversion. I did two conversions, one for the background and one for the fore, since I used fill flash and the two color temps were noticebaly different. I'll revisit the conversion, especially on the background layer.

I imagine that it's right on the borderline, and the wrong combo with monitor could throw it over the edge. At one point I did try pulling back on the saturation (post-RAW conversion) and it looked weird, but maybe if I pull back on the saturation in the RAW conversion I'll have better luck.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2004
    One of us is confused...................
    andy wrote:
    please pick *one* image, gubby deal.gif

if you are looking for help, post 'em in the comments and critiques thread...

thanks!

Is this not the comments and critiques thread?
    ginger
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    David, I think the really green grass works well. I'd keep it that way. It accentuates the pastel colors, pink and blue. It also helps with the moving legs.
    DavidTO wrote:
    It is pretty intense. I did nothing to it (color/levels-wise), beyond RAW conversion. I did two conversions, one for the background and one for the fore, since I used fill flash and the two color temps were noticebaly different. I'll revisit the conversion, especially on the background layer.

I imagine that it's right on the borderline, and the wrong combo with monitor could throw it over the edge. At one point I did try pulling back on the saturation (post-RAW conversion) and it looked weird, but maybe if I pull back on the saturation in the RAW conversion I'll have better luck.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2004
    Gubbs, this one is really cool. The pigeon in the middle (profile) looks like he's late for work. Great job.
    gubbs wrote:
    5462138-L.jpg