Options

SmugMug Android app beta

Comments

• Options
    Ceazar77Ceazar77 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Thank you so much for allowing install to SD. Is the cache also stored there?

Also, I think that the app would greatly benefit from folder monitoring/auto uploading. You could select a folder(s) that you want the app to keep an eye on. Whenever a new picture is loaded into that folder it would upload it to a defined folder on smugmug. You would also have the option of when to upload (phone on wifi, phone plugged in) and what to do with the picture on the phone (keep or delete).

I'm very happy that you are finally getting an android app out the door. Like others here, I would be happy to purchase this app to support continued development.
    My Equipment:
    Bodies
    : Canon 5D mk II, Canon 5D

Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8LII, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 85mm f/1.2L, 180mm f/3.5L Macro
    Lighting: Quantum Q-flash, Canon 580EX, Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX, 40&60" Umbrella
    Stability: Gitzo and RRS
  • Options
    CubfanCubfan Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2010
    I no longer have aspect problems, but the interface and navigation in this app are really confusing. Why not make it work like the website itself? Or look at other web photo Apps and improve on them. Frankly, this is a mess.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Just a few comments... Using it on a Droid.

The navigation is not intuitive. I think it should default to browsing, not uploading. Typical use for me would be to show someone a picture I took, not to upload to my site. I think that's probably pretty typical. I like that I can choose to navigate by categories or galleries, but I wish it would default to the last one I selected so i dont have to choose every time.

Also, when I go to browse, mine always opens up a particular gallery. Not sure why it defaults to that one. The little "change" button to switch galleries is not intuitive. I want to hit the back button to go back to the main page... which should be somewhat equivalent to my homepage.

I browsed a gallery and watched a video. Definitely useable. But when I hit back, it took me to that other gallery it defaults to. Not the one I was in.

When I go to browse, it loads that gallery. I can't change galleries until the thumbnails load and the "fetching photos list" dialog goes away. If I don't want to look at that gallery, I don't want to wait for the thumbnails to load.

I also wish it'd pre-load more thumbnails. I've noticed that as I scroll down through the thumbs in a gallery, it shows the little red "loading" icons, no matter how long that gallery has been open. It'd be nice if it loaded the thumbnails before I scrolled down.

Finally, I wish I could browse by keywords, perform searches, and edit keywords/captions in the app. Browsing by keyword would be huge though. And I wish it had the ability to save images and send them (with all the choices of email/texting/etc).

Overall, I like it a lot. I like the way I can quickly and easily scroll through pictures in a gallery. The speed is very good.

Thanks!

Dave
  • Options
    havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    pilotdave wrote: »

The navigation is not intuitive. I think it should default to browsing, not uploading. Typical use for me would be to show someone a picture I took, not to upload to my site. I think that's probably pretty typical. I like that I can choose to navigate by categories or galleries, but I wish it would default to the last one I selected so i dont have to choose every time.

Also, when I go to browse, mine always opens up a particular gallery. Not sure why it defaults to that one. The little "change" button to switch galleries is not intuitive. I want to hit the back button to go back to the main page... which should be somewhat equivalent to my homepage.

I browsed a gallery and watched a video. Definitely useable. But when I hit back, it took me to that other gallery it defaults to. Not the one I was in.

When I go to browse, it loads that gallery. I can't change galleries until the thumbnails load and the "fetching photos list" dialog goes away. If I don't want to look at that gallery, I don't want to wait for the thumbnails to load.

I also wish it'd pre-load more thumbnails. I've noticed that as I scroll down through the thumbs in a gallery, it shows the little red "loading" icons, no matter how long that gallery has been open. It'd be nice if it loaded the thumbnails before I scrolled down.

Finally, I wish I could browse by keywords, perform searches, and edit keywords/captions in the app. Browsing by keyword would be huge though. And I wish it had the ability to save images and send them (with all the choices of email/texting/etc).

Overall, I like it a lot. I like the way I can quickly and easily scroll through pictures in a gallery. The speed is very good.

Thanks!

Dave

I agree with what Dave said 100%.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    I think I've said the very thing that Dave said. You need to speak with users and find out what they want/need, instead of this clumsy interface. People want to get pictures on their phones and to upload from their phones to the site. You need offline viewing options. We need to be able to access control panel remotely on a gallery. What you have here is cool, but not very useful.
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    I just got my HTC Droid Incredible so I downloaded the latest version of the SmugMug Android app to try it out. Since it's a beta app I wasn't expecting much, but boy was I pleasantly surprised! Although I haven't tried all of its features yet I'm very impressed with the application. It's very responsive and displays the photos brilliantly.

The only issues I noticed so far...

1. No default thumbnail for unlisted galleries. The same thumbnail that SmugMug displays for unlisted galleries would be nice.

2. One photo in a gallery displayed an X thumbnail. When I clicked the thumbnail the photo displayed correctly.

3. One time I clicked 'Browse' and it displayed the spinning wait icon without displaying the text prompt associated with the notification (normally "Fetching album list. Please wait..." or something like that.)

4. Occasionally, clicking the phone's 'back' button closes the app and returns me to my home screen.

5. The app locked up one time. It was displaying the categories list but would not respond to any input. I clicked the phone's back button and a dialog appeared saying the app was not responding and prompting me to kill the app. When I clicked the button to kill the app the dialog disappeared but the app was still there and it started responding normally. I think this may have something to do with the fact that I was viewing my website on my PC at the same time and I had switched to 'Visitor View'.

...all of these except #5 seem to be very minor issues, and #5 may have been my own fault.

Maybe after I play with it some more I'll have some suggestions for features or improvements. If I do I will post them here.

Congrats on making a cool tool guys! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

--Mick
  • Options
    mcgilmcgil Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Crash on G2
    It's good to see SmugMug invest dev resources and support into this Android app ! clap.gif

Tried it tonight on a Tmobile G2 and got a couple of crash on the galleries load. I do have a ton of galleries. Sent the crash log to Eron, will post more feedback over the weekend.
  • Options
    wooacwooac Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 10, 2010
    Does this work on a Samsung Captivate 2.1 device?
    After sideloading, the Smugmug app signs in, downloads the list of galleries and then present a choice between categories and galleries. After selecting either, nothing happens. Menu button doesn't present any menu items either where I would have suspected a "Settings". Does this app run on Android 2.1?
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    wooac wrote: »
    After sideloading, the Smugmug app signs in, downloads the list of galleries and then present a choice between categories and galleries. After selecting either, nothing happens.

I've seen that too on a T-mobile G2, it seems that where the list of galleries should appear, there's nothing... maybe because of a time out retrieving the list. I tried again right after and this time it displayed the galleries.
  • Options
    eroneron Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    boothefam wrote: »
    Sounds great Eron. Is there a wiki then that I can use as a work bench in which can hammer away at refining a suggested work flow?

Finally, I would argue SmugMug charge $3-$5 for this app to offset the real cost in labor associated with development of this new app and all the requested features that are sure to come, in addition to the cost of providing tech support. In fact it may even be worth considering a subscription fee if we really want to see the app stay viable as a sustainable platform which users can continue to benefit from more and more value and support for over time...

Heck I know it would sure make sense to me to pay for something of real value like this. I'd even apply for the job if there were an opening... a future dream perhaps.

Cool. I'm going to look for that wiki page.

Respect and regards,

Steven Boothe

Our thinking right now is that there will be no additional cost for the Android App. Rest assured that it will be receiving attention though. Its important that we provide SmugMug users with easy access to their SmugMug account from commonly used devices such as those running Android.

We don't have a wiki at the moment - this forum will be the best way to discuss upcoming features.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    emmfan wrote: »
    I ran into an error when I was trying to send/share a photo from within JustPictures using the Smugmug intent. It opens the Smugmug app then gives a pop-up "Failure Loading Content". I figured out a workaround to just pick image from within the Smugmug app which then goes to the Gallery app, and everything works from there. But it would be great to be able to use the send/share from other apps.

The latest beta version of the SmugMug app fixes this problem (I also believe that JustPictures fixed the problem as of version 4.9).
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    brick wrote: »
    I must say that thus far I LOVE the Android app, and I can't thank y'all enough for your work to make our lives more fun. I will add that the option the create a gallery seems like a pretty basic task, in fact for me it is often the first thing I do when I log in the the website. If I'm on the road shooting a ton of pics and video with my phone, then it would be very, very handy the be able to create a new gallery and upload to it on the spot, rather than creating a gallery through the browser and going back to the app to upload to that same gallery. So I suppose that this is my plea to the Grinning Gawds and Gawdesses to consider such an option in the app.

Humbly yours,
    -some dude with a camera

We've had a few requests for this and what you say makes sense. The ability to create a gallery through the Android App will be something we add in a future version.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    Ceazar77 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for allowing install to SD. Is the cache also stored there?

Also, I think that the app would greatly benefit from folder monitoring/auto uploading. You could select a folder(s) that you want the app to keep an eye on. Whenever a new picture is loaded into that folder it would upload it to a defined folder on smugmug. You would also have the option of when to upload (phone on wifi, phone plugged in) and what to do with the picture on the phone (keep or delete).

I'm very happy that you are finally getting an android app out the door. Like others here, I would be happy to purchase this app to support continued development.

Android provides a special directory to applications that use a cache. Its my understanding that the phone's internal storage is used for this.

The latest beta version provides a better mechanism for uploading multiple photos through Android's intent mechanism. If your phone's Gallery app supports it, you can use the "Share with" button to upload an entire folder with just a few clicks.

I like your idea about automatically uploading a new picture. We'll keep looking into ways to make it easier to upload photos from your phone.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    pilotdave wrote: »

Thanks!

Dave

Dave, Cubfan, Havanese:

I'm glad to hear your guy's feedback regarding the overall flow of moving between galleries and photos. We'd like to improve this and you're right that there is much to be desired with the current behavior.

The latest version has some minor improvements that might help - namely the application should behave better when connectivity is lost while loading galleries and gallery lists. A bug that caused a gallery's thumbnail list to be empty was also fixed. This might make things better for you but there's still more work to be done. For one we'll be improving caching so that you don't always have to wait for image lists to load before navigating further.

A couple questions for all of you:

1) Would you rather have the browse tab always show a list of galleries instead of the thumbnails for a specific gallery and a button to change? I imagine those who change galleries frequently would like this while those who don't wouldn't.

2) We are considering getting rid of tabs entirely. Instead we would have the application install two icons into your phone's application list. One icon would launch the "Upload" interface and the other icon would launch the "Browse" interface. The Upload interface might have two tabs - "Upload" and "Queue". Would you like this interface better?

Would love to hear more ideas. We'll be spending a lot more time on this moving forward to make it more useful and iron out the kinks.
  • Options
    brickbrick Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    eron wrote: »
    A couple questions for all of you:

1) Would you rather have the browse tab always show a list of galleries instead of the thumbnails for a specific gallery and a button to change? I imagine those who change galleries frequently would like this while those who don't wouldn't.

2) We are considering getting rid of tabs entirely. Instead we would have the application install two icons into your phone's application list. One icon would launch the "Upload" interface and the other icon would launch the "Browse" interface. The Upload interface might have two tabs - "Upload" and "Queue". Would you like this interface better?

Would love to hear more ideas. We'll be spending a lot more time on this moving forward to make it more useful and iron out the kinks.

Yes please on both #1 and #2 for me!
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    micknewton wrote: »
    I just got my HTC Droid Incredible so I downloaded the latest version of the SmugMug Android app to try it out. Since it's a beta app I wasn't expecting much, but boy was I pleasantly surprised! Although I haven't tried all of its features yet I'm very impressed with the application. It's very responsive and displays the photos brilliantly.

The only issues I noticed so far...

1. No default thumbnail for unlisted galleries. The same thumbnail that SmugMug displays for unlisted galleries would be nice.

2. One photo in a gallery displayed an X thumbnail. When I clicked the thumbnail the photo displayed correctly.

3. One time I clicked 'Browse' and it displayed the spinning wait icon without displaying the text prompt associated with the notification (normally "Fetching album list. Please wait..." or something like that.)

4. Occasionally, clicking the phone's 'back' button closes the app and returns me to my home screen.

5. The app locked up one time. It was displaying the categories list but would not respond to any input. I clicked the phone's back button and a dialog appeared saying the app was not responding and prompting me to kill the app. When I clicked the button to kill the app the dialog disappeared but the app was still there and it started responding normally. I think this may have something to do with the fact that I was viewing my website on my PC at the same time and I had switched to 'Visitor View'.

...all of these except #5 seem to be very minor issues, and #5 may have been my own fault.

Maybe after I play with it some more I'll have some suggestions for features or improvements. If I do I will post them here.

Congrats on making a cool tool guys! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

--Mick

#1 is a confirmed bug - should be fixed soon. #2 is likely a connectivity issue - these will happen more frequently with a mobile device. The way the app works now is that when it is having troubles downloading an image it will sometimes give up until further input is received from the user - in these cases you'll see the broken image icon. #3 sounds like a rare android glitch. #4 - The latest beta version reworked the underlying code controls the flow from one activity to another - behavior should be improved. #5 - there should be no problems using the website on a PC browser and using the app at the same time (aside from the occasional sync issue related to caching data). If the application locks up there's either a bug in our code or in the Android OS. Let us know if you have continual problems.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    mcgil wrote: »
    It's good to see SmugMug invest dev resources and support into this Android app ! clap.gif

Tried it tonight on a Tmobile G2 and got a couple of crash on the galleries load. I do have a ton of galleries. Sent the crash log to Eron, will post more feedback over the weekend.

Try the latest version and let us know if its better - there should be some improvement on how well it handles a large number of galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    wooac wrote: »
    After sideloading, the Smugmug app signs in, downloads the list of galleries and then present a choice between categories and galleries. After selecting either, nothing happens. Menu button doesn't present any menu items either where I would have suspected a "Settings". Does this app run on Android 2.1?

The app should work on Android 2.1 - what kind of phone do you have? There were some improvements made regarding the gallery list in the last beta as well so it might be useful to try that out and see if things improve.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    Just to be explicit - a new beta version was made available on October 13th. All the details are here.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    eron wrote: »
    Just to be explicit - a new beta version was made available on October 13th. All the details are here.

Tried the new version (10/13) on G2. It crashed on install (sent logs) but did not crash when loading the list of galleries, which is good :)

I like your idea of having two app icons, one for upload, one for browsing.

I also really like that you're displaying the galleries by categories which is super necessary for us with several hundred galleries.
    As a side note the SmugBot app does not do a good job at this because it displays every gallery in a list and unfortunately the most recent gallery is usually at the bottom and the rest is not in a specific order.

In your case would you consider adding a gallery sort option so we can sort them by most recent or alphabetically on the gallery name.

Also selecting several photos at once and uploading them as a batch would be most welcome.

One last side note : On G2 I used today the Olde Faithful uploader. From the website it worked very nicely :)

Thanks,

-
  • Options
    ssmssm Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2010
    If you download the updated version does it automatically overwrite the older version?
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    ssm wrote: »
    If you download the updated version does it automatically overwrite the older version?

Yes, although you'll have to select the download once it finishes to request that it be installed.
  • Options
    ssmssm Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2010
    Does it prompt you to do this or is it possible for me to screw it up.headscratch.gif

Never mind. Looks like it worked fine. It's okay to skip an update, isn't it? I did the one from September originally and updated with the one from October 14th, skipping the 13th update.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2010
    ssm wrote: »
    Does it prompt you to do this or is it possible for me to screw it up.headscratch.gif

Never mind. Looks like it worked fine. It's okay to skip an update, isn't it? I did the one from September originally and updated with the one from October 14th, skipping the 13th update.

Yes - you can skip updates if you like.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    This has improved, but still feels strange. Just give us the website interface. And we really need the ability to modify individual gallery pro settings, including pricing.

Now you try to figure out where you are and click the back button, and you kill the program. It's just too different. You've put so much into building your brand in the website... why change it?

All you need to do is replicate it with the additional ability to save pictures locally and upload local photos in the resolution we choose. I don't get why you feel the need to make it so strange. It isn't intuitive.

We need galleries and categories. Options for sorting. Settings on galleries. Stats in galleries. Ability to create and upload to galleries. Access to comments, purchases, and other pro features. Otherwise, you have wasted your time, IMO.
  • Options
    DreamsDreams Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2010
    It would be really helpful if you could put a QR code on the wiki page with the beta client, so that I can scan it with me Android and go directly to that page. :) Save me from typing in the URL
  • Options
    DreamsDreams Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2010
    OK going out on a limb here with a feature request...

I boggles me why I can sync my android with photos in Picasa, but I can't keep local photos synced with an album.
    I would love for smugmug on android to keep the pictures on my android synced with an album of my choosing on smugmug, but ONLY SYNC when I am on WiFi, NOT over 3G. :)

I know the pics are on my SD card, but so much stuff is and I rarely take out the card or connect the phone to my computer. Everything on the phone is synced and backuped to my Google account. I can flash my phone and be back where I left off in an hour, but loosing the pictures still bothers me. So that is still on my wishlist.

Chris.
  • Options
    petelangloispetelanglois Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    I came to the forum today as I'm having a problem with some stats not showing up but I saw this beta and thought I'd give it a try.

WOW

That's one word. This app rocks! I installed on my Moto DROID (Original) Running 2.2 Froyo OS stock not rooted. Install force closed on install (sent logs) and haven't crashed again. Loaded all my galleries pretty quickly. The app works great. I love the tabs, how quickly it loads the gallery, pinch to zoom in on the image works great as well.

Great job guys.

I'm glad I host my images with you!

Pete Langlois
    http://www.petelanglois.net
    http://blog.petelanglois.net
    Gear: Nikon D300s & D50 | 16-85mm VR | 18-55mm DX | 70-300mm VR | 85mm f/1.8D | 50mm f/1.8D | 35mm f/1.8G | 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina | Extension Tube Set | Manfrotto Monopod and 190CXPRO3
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Just installed in my T-Mobile g2, finally an app 4 my beloved smugmug. I've been asking since I bought my g1 on the first day of its release...nice to see Android getting some love from the Le Pomme heads.
  • Options
    tim.mixelltim.mixell Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2010
    I've been running the app since you guys first put it in the wild, and let me just say that I am in love with it. Feature-wise it does just what I wanted to be able to do from my phone: tag and upload pictures. If I have to do anything more in depth, I just hop over to the non mobile site (which renders decently on my Galaxy S) and do it there.

On a tangential note: I noticed you guys were using the iUi framework for the mobile site. You might want to peep the jQuery mobile library now that it's available :]

Thanks for being the best photo sharing site!