Options

SmugMug Android app beta

Comments

• Options
    AngryScotAngryScot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    installed today and will update if I find anything.
    Looks good, would be nice to be able to create the default gallery when setting up the app. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    eroneron Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Cubfan wrote: »
    This has improved, but still feels strange. Just give us the website interface. And we really need the ability to modify individual gallery pro settings, including pricing.

Now you try to figure out where you are and click the back button, and you kill the program. It's just too different. You've put so much into building your brand in the website... why change it?

All you need to do is replicate it with the additional ability to save pictures locally and upload local photos in the resolution we choose. I don't get why you feel the need to make it so strange. It isn't intuitive.

We need galleries and categories. Options for sorting. Settings on galleries. Stats in galleries. Ability to create and upload to galleries. Access to comments, purchases, and other pro features. Otherwise, you have wasted your time, IMO.

We'll do our best to prioritize properly as we move more of the website features into the android app. However - it is unlikely that we will be replicating the website.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2010
    Dreams wrote: »
    OK going out on a limb here with a feature request...

I boggles me why I can sync my android with photos in Picasa, but I can't keep local photos synced with an album.
    I would love for smugmug on android to keep the pictures on my android synced with an album of my choosing on smugmug, but ONLY SYNC when I am on WiFi, NOT over 3G. :)

I know the pics are on my SD card, but so much stuff is and I rarely take out the card or connect the phone to my computer. Everything on the phone is synced and backuped to my Google account. I can flash my phone and be back where I left off in an hour, but loosing the pictures still bothers me. So that is still on my wishlist.

Chris.

Automatic synchronization something we'd like to have and its on our todo list.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    This is awesome! Can't wait till the official release! Definitely gonna be using this to show off my portfolio on the go from now on.
    Jer
  • Options
    campocampo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Just loaded the app and it runs like a dream. As my main reason for using it is to show my portfolio, I'm keen on being able to use it offline. The latest release says images cached for offline use, so I was quite excited at the prospect. I went through one of my galleries and viewed all images, exited the app, shut down my phone's data connections (3G + wifi) and then restarted the app.

I was hoping to have access to the images I viewed but it tells me that a gallery list can't be loaded...and I can't go further. What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    I seem to navigate standard smugmug pretty good on my Samsung Epic, now an app that creates quicker access like my Facebook appl, could be cool, you guys let us know when it's for real, I don't have beta time. I cannot imagine caching over 1000 images offline, seems a bit much.
  • Options
    ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    I love this, thank you!
  • Options
    SwanRoarkSwanRoark Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2010
    first of all, YAY, an android app!! my smugmug pics look fab and i love love love the upload on the go function.

My first impressions of what i'd love to see improved/added:

1. i really like the idea to have two apps - upload and browse.

2. in the upload function, i like that there is a defult gallery picked to upload to, but it would be great if there was a choice - A. default B. choose another existing gallery or C. create new gallery (which I understand is something already on the to-do list).

3. the upload function default gallery was a little less than intuitive. it took me a bit to figure out that the first gallery i picked was going to be the default one to upload to. I wanted to switch to a different gallery and tried to use the back button and just got a killed app.

4. i also would love to see an "owner save" button when viewing images, and possibly more info about that image (stats, photo info, etc).

5. I agree that the control panel settings - at least the most commonly used functions - would be great to have on the go.
  • Options
    chicagophotoshopchicagophotoshop Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    I'm curious why anyone would even want an upload feature? do you guys really have a section on your professional photography site for cell phone pics? or maybe I'm missing something?
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    I'm curious why anyone would even want an upload feature? do you guys really have a section on your professional photography site for cell phone pics? or maybe I'm missing something?

15524779-Ti.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    SwanRoarkSwanRoark Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2010

Smugmug is not just for pros.
    I have a section on my site for personal photos, which includes cell phone shots bc often that's the camera I have handy when not shooting professionally.
    I'm just saying there are many scanarios that uploading from a cell to smugmug is worthwhile.
  • Options
    chicagophotoshopchicagophotoshop Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    ok fair enough, I was just curious.
  • Options
    canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Pretty neat, so far. I just installed the app and tried it out. So far I have uploaded some videos, one over a 3G connection, and the remainder over a WIFi connection. It all went smoothly except that at one point, the picker to choose the video for upload became very sluggish and unresponsive, and then the phone crashed and reset itself. I have no idea if that was the app, or something else going on with the phone. Since that happened the app was worked without incident. If I can replicate it, I will let you know.

One thought: instead of having a single default gallery for upload, that can only be changed by going into settings and working with the gallery picker, I would like to define a small number of presets (maybe 2-5) that I could choose from at the time of upload. I already created an unlisted mobile upload gallery for family photos, and I plan to create a listed upload gallery for photos that I would like to be available immediately after upload, and I would like to be able to choose between them at the time of upload, via a dropdown menu.
  • Options
    jksmfjksmf Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2010
    Uninstall App & Video
    Hey guys,

Great app - thanks for taking the time to develop it!

I'm using a Moto Droid - v2.2.

Forgive me if I missed in thread....I have 2 questions.

1) How do I uninstall the app (edit: manage apps -> all -> uninstall), and where is the local data stored?

2) How can I get my videos in my galleries to play? I get the following error - "Sorry, this video cannot be played". I had assumed since videos were encoded to h.294 that the phone could play it?

Thanks!
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Mobile so I can take a photo load it from camera to phone and onto my site by halftime.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    hmdonaldhmdonald Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2010
    Some general comments on the beta Android app. Some of my feedback is fit/finish stuff, but I wanted to call it out early. :-)

- Great start!
    - In account settings, my email is long enough that it bleeds into a second line. I should just see the start of the email address and have it hide the rest to keep it one line.
    - I don't know when the app is doing anything in the background. If I'm uploading/downloading and move away from the app, I'd like the task bar at the top of my phone to have a SmugMug status so I don't have to look at the app to see the status of my upload.
    - The icon for the app uses the old SmugMug face, not the re-tooled one.
    - The icon for the app is way small.
    - I'd like the ability to download a pic to my phone when viewing an album.
    - BUG: When I uploaded a video, the movie when played in IE9 puts the video in the upper left corner of a larger box. See this video as an example: http://hmdonald.smugmug.com/Other/Mobile-Uploads/13006344_3efTh#1100866755_uqiH5-A-LB
    - Long album names are getting cut text. For example, an album titled "North Carolina Transportation Museum" has the bottom text of museum clipped. You can save real estate by getting rid of the "Album:" text on the left and instead just display more of the album name.
    - I'd like the ability to view the metadata of an image when I select the image, and then press the settings button on my phone. Right now the settings button only works when you're viewing a module (upload, queue, browse) but not when viewing an individual pic.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2010
    AngryScot wrote: »
    installed today and will update if I find anything.
    Looks good, would be nice to be able to create the default gallery when setting up the app. Just a suggestion.

The latest beta version launched November 30th allows you to create a gallery from the upload interface.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2010
    campo wrote: »
    Just loaded the app and it runs like a dream. As my main reason for using it is to show my portfolio, I'm keen on being able to use it offline. The latest release says images cached for offline use, so I was quite excited at the prospect. I went through one of my galleries and viewed all images, exited the app, shut down my phone's data connections (3G + wifi) and then restarted the app.

I was hoping to have access to the images I viewed but it tells me that a gallery list can't be loaded...and I can't go further. What am I doing wrong?

The offline viewing mode currently requires you to have an SD card and relies on the standard Android application cache. I'm guessing this was your problem. If it was something else we can try to repeat your problem here if you let use know more about your phone (brand and firmware version).
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2010
    SwanRoark wrote: »
    first of all, YAY, an android app!! my smugmug pics look fab and i love love love the upload on the go function.

My first impressions of what i'd love to see improved/added:

1. i really like the idea to have two apps - upload and browse.

2. in the upload function, i like that there is a defult gallery picked to upload to, but it would be great if there was a choice - A. default B. choose another existing gallery or C. create new gallery (which I understand is something already on the to-do list).

3. the upload function default gallery was a little less than intuitive. it took me a bit to figure out that the first gallery i picked was going to be the default one to upload to. I wanted to switch to a different gallery and tried to use the back button and just got a killed app.

4. i also would love to see an "owner save" button when viewing images, and possibly more info about that image (stats, photo info, etc).

5. I agree that the control panel settings - at least the most commonly used functions - would be great to have on the go.

The latest beta launched November addresses items #2,#3, and #4. Which control panel settings would you most like to see us add?
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2010
    jksmf wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Great app - thanks for taking the time to develop it!

I'm using a Moto Droid - v2.2.

Forgive me if I missed in thread....I have 2 questions.

1) How do I uninstall the app (edit: manage apps -> all -> uninstall), and where is the local data stored?

2) How can I get my videos in my galleries to play? I get the following error - "Sorry, this video cannot be played". I had assumed since videos were encoded to h.294 that the phone could play it?

Thanks!

There is currently a problem where videos in protected galleries cannot be played through the app. We're looking at ways to fix this. Any data put on external storage is typically put in the "smugmug" directory on your sdcard.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2010
    canghuixu wrote: »
    Pretty neat, so far. I just installed the app and tried it out. So far I have uploaded some videos, one over a 3G connection, and the remainder over a WIFi connection. It all went smoothly except that at one point, the picker to choose the video for upload became very sluggish and unresponsive, and then the phone crashed and reset itself. I have no idea if that was the app, or something else going on with the phone. Since that happened the app was worked without incident. If I can replicate it, I will let you know.

One thought: instead of having a single default gallery for upload, that can only be changed by going into settings and working with the gallery picker, I would like to define a small number of presets (maybe 2-5) that I could choose from at the time of upload. I already created an unlisted mobile upload gallery for family photos, and I plan to create a listed upload gallery for photos that I would like to be available immediately after upload, and I would like to be able to choose between them at the time of upload, via a dropdown menu.

The most recent version of the app (November 30th) has a reworked upload UI which should make things better. We're considering streamlining this further to have a drop down menu for the most commonly used galleries.
  • Options
    CubfanCubfan Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 4, 2010
    The reworked UI is a huge improvement. I like it. Big step forward, but I can't figure out how to do batch uploadsor downloads in the resolution I choose.

And it is far too easy to exit the app by going back too many times. Needs a warning that another press of back will exit or an optional "are you sure" dialog.
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    But if you hit your home button and hold it down it should still be in the open apps list no?

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Sweet, installed the app on my Motorola Droid 2 Global. Will tinker with it and let you know if I find any oddities.
  • Options
    brickbrick Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Sweet.
    Just downloaded the Dec 2 build, and it looks great. I can now sign in and view my galleries exactly as I have them on the website, which I love.

I would like to see a settings option that will honor the option to hide photos, just like on the website. Almost all of my galleries are private, so I need to be logged in to show off photos, but that means that folks can see any pictures in those galleries.

Thanks for the ongoing work!
    -Some guy with a camera
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2010
    Cubfan wrote: »
    The reworked UI is a huge improvement. I like it. Big step forward, but I can't figure out how to do batch uploadsor downloads in the resolution I choose.

And it is far too easy to exit the app by going back too many times. Needs a warning that another press of back will exit or an optional "are you sure" dialog.

Glad to hear we're moving things in the right direction.

To answer your specific concerns - currently the only way to upload multiple items with just a few clicks is to use whatever browser application is already on your phone. If it is capable of generating a SEND_MULTIPLE intent then you can use it to send many photos to the SmugMug uploader using the "Share With" button. Its my understanding that Motorola phones do not do this while Samsung and HTC phones do.

Batch downloading is currently not implemented - the best you can do is download one photo at a time at the medium resolution. We'll be expanding on this feature for future versions.

As far as exiting the app goes, there's currently one bug and and one major flaw which exacerbate this problem. 1) When you are changing the upload album the back button will close the upload setup dialog. 2) When you go back from the upload setup dialog and reopen it the previous upload will be cleared.

In the end "exiting" the app doesn't really mean much in the Android environment. The "Home" button will maintain the current activity stack while the "Back" button will pop the top activity off of the stack. A well programmed app will come back to the state it was at regardless of whether it was closed and reopened or merely suspended and resumed. Once we address the two issues above (likely today or tomorrow) I think you'll be happier with the way things work.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2010
    brick wrote: »
    Just downloaded the Dec 2 build, and it looks great. I can now sign in and view my galleries exactly as I have them on the website, which I love.

I would like to see a settings option that will honor the option to hide photos, just like on the website. Almost all of my galleries are private, so I need to be logged in to show off photos, but that means that folks can see any pictures in those galleries.

Thanks for the ongoing work!
    -Some guy with a camera

Duly noted. We'll try to honor the hidden setting properly in one of the next few releases.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Don't know if it's been brought up before, but in my opinion the captions disappear too fast. It's common for the caption to disappear before the image even loads.

I don't know if I like the caption disappearing at all. I might prefer a quick way to hide/unhide it.

Anyway, great job with the app so far. Really coming along nicely.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2010
    New version is up now with final icons and a few more changes.

IMPORTANT: You must manually uninstall your old SmugMug application before installing this one since we changed our signing key.

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Android+Beta+Client
  • Options
    jake-bwjake-bw Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2010
    Hi,

I just learned about the Android beta a few weeks ago and have been using it sparingly in that time. It's been working great for me.

However, with the latest version I noticed a different behavior than I had seen previously. It may have been there before and I just didn't notice it, since my usage was light.

However, after logging in with the latest version, I noticed immediately that images in some of my galleries were not showing up. In the gallery list, there would be no gallery preview thumbnail and if I went into the gallery, instead of image thumbnails, after a wait I would get a no-image/red-X icon (and if I tried to open one of these images, after a wait, I would get a no-image/red-X icon instead of the image itself). The great majority of my galleries were working fine, but only a dozen or so were not. After a bit of investigation, I believe the galleries that are not working are those where I have "Hide Owner" set to YES. I did not do an exhaustive search, but this seemed true of all of the galleries I did look at. To test, I tried toggling the "Hide Owner" setting in a couple of the misbehaving galleries to NO and they became visible.

Should all galleries / images be visible through the Android app regardless of the "Hide Owner" setting? Or is there something I should / could be doing differently?

Thanks for your help and thanks for a great app!