Options

SmugMug Android app beta

Comments

• Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Yeah, the last couple versions have been a huge improvement. It works great using the Media Browser & "Share To" option on my Galaxy Tab.

One thing I would recommend since we're uploading big files (especially videos) is an option to warn us if we're not on WiFi before we start the upload. That way we don't accidentally upload a ton of data over the 3G network instead & go over our data allotment with the carriers.

It happens much more than you might think.
  • Options
    eroneron Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Just an FYI, the app is now available on the Android Marketplace under the name "SmugMug Mobile". If you have a beta version installed you'll likely need to manually delete it from your phone before installing from the marketplace.

This doesn't mean that we think the app is "done". We will be adding features and fixing issues for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    eron wrote: »
    Just an FYI, the app is now available on the Android Marketplace under the name "SmugMug Mobile". If you have a beta version installed you'll likely need to manually delete it from your phone before installing from the marketplace.

This doesn't mean that we think the app is "done". We will be adding features and fixing issues for the foreseeable future.

Uninstalled beta and found the SM mobile in the market...installed fine and working great.

Thanks guys.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Eron,

Beta from the 10th is still rocking strong, going to give the market version a good run through now.
    Your awesome man, I think you breath android code the way you knock out bugs.
  • Options
    hmdonaldhmdonald Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 17, 2010
    Fantastic released product. Great improvement from the beta. Really enjoying it. Thanks for working on an Android app.
  • Options
    OscarcOscarc Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    I installed the app on my Droid and Galaxy Tab. It's really nice! Thanks for writing this!

On my Galaxy Tab, though, the photos are a bit fuzzy; perhaps the app isn't downloading the correct size photo for the Tab's screen resolution?
  • Options
    Ceazar77Ceazar77 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Love the app!! A few things would make it perfect for me. Folder monitoring/auto uploading and folder sync.

Folder monitoring should work basically like PicPush. You can chose which folders to monitor (for images and videos separately), what after taking the picture before uploading, whether to delete from phone or not after upload, and whether to upload only when on wifi or if plugged in.

Folder sync would work just like the default sync to picasa. You would chose a folder on Smugmug and a location on the phone where you want to store that folder (either main memory or SD card). This folder would always be stored to the phone and would not be effected by clearing the cache in the SmugMug app. I could see this working amazingly well with smart folders.

Thank you for continuing to innovate. bowdown.gif
    My Equipment:
    Bodies
    : Canon 5D mk II, Canon 5D

Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8LII, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 85mm f/1.2L, 180mm f/3.5L Macro
    Lighting: Quantum Q-flash, Canon 580EX, Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX, 40&60" Umbrella
    Stability: Gitzo and RRS
  • Options
    GoggoGoggo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2010
    will gratulate to this great app but please make it as soon as possible to save the cache on sd-card.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    I'm loving the new Android Smugmug app you guys released. I downloaded the version from the Android Market after your blog post about it. Works great to view all of my photos online. However none of my videos play. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I didn't have time to read through all of the posts. The thumbnails load but when I go to play them, it says the files can't be read. All of my galleries are unprotected so I'm not sure why they won't play.

Here's a video from my web site that I was trying to view: http://naynlou.smugmug.com/Pictures/2010/July-2010-Myrtle-Beach/15121278_KMVcM#1130525204_PHwse-S-LB
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2011
    We'll make it so the caption fade doesn't start until the image is loaded.

You can always cause the caption to reappear by tapping on the bottom part of the screen.

We'll consider adding options to provide more control over how captions fade.
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been brought up before, but in my opinion the captions disappear too fast. It's common for the caption to disappear before the image even loads.

I don't know if I like the caption disappearing at all. I might prefer a quick way to hide/unhide it.

Anyway, great job with the app so far. Really coming along nicely.

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2011
    Hi - should have responded to this earlier. Version 1.01 of the app (available from the Android Marketplace) should have fixed this problem - let me know if things are still malfunctioning in this respect.
    jake-bw wrote: »
    Hi,

I just learned about the Android beta a few weeks ago and have been using it sparingly in that time. It's been working great for me.

However, with the latest version I noticed a different behavior than I had seen previously. It may have been there before and I just didn't notice it, since my usage was light.

However, after logging in with the latest version, I noticed immediately that images in some of my galleries were not showing up. In the gallery list, there would be no gallery preview thumbnail and if I went into the gallery, instead of image thumbnails, after a wait I would get a no-image/red-X icon (and if I tried to open one of these images, after a wait, I would get a no-image/red-X icon instead of the image itself). The great majority of my galleries were working fine, but only a dozen or so were not. After a bit of investigation, I believe the galleries that are not working are those where I have "Hide Owner" set to YES. I did not do an exhaustive search, but this seemed true of all of the galleries I did look at. To test, I tried toggling the "Hide Owner" setting in a couple of the misbehaving galleries to NO and they became visible.

Should all galleries / images be visible through the Android app regardless of the "Hide Owner" setting? Or is there something I should / could be doing differently?

Thanks for your help and thanks for a great app!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2011
    The app is currently downloading photos at the "Medium" resolution which is at most 600 pixels wide and 450 pixels high. This is technically smaller than can be displayed on a Droid or Galaxy Tab. We'll be adding a feature to allow images to be downloaded at higher resolutions. The tradeoff here is that images will take longer to download and you will potentially run into memory problems.
    Oscarc wrote: »
    I installed the app on my Droid and Galaxy Tab. It's really nice! Thanks for writing this!

On my Galaxy Tab, though, the photos are a bit fuzzy; perhaps the app isn't downloading the correct size photo for the Tab's screen resolution?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2011
    We'd very much like to get auto-sync working. Its a bit difficult for now since different phones manufacturers are doing different things when a photo is taken. Gonna try to get this feature in though (and working properly across most phones).
    Ceazar77 wrote: »
    Love the app!! A few things would make it perfect for me. Folder monitoring/auto uploading and folder sync.

Folder monitoring should work basically like PicPush. You can chose which folders to monitor (for images and videos separately), what after taking the picture before uploading, whether to delete from phone or not after upload, and whether to upload only when on wifi or if plugged in.

Folder sync would work just like the default sync to picasa. You would chose a folder on Smugmug and a location on the phone where you want to store that folder (either main memory or SD card). This folder would always be stored to the phone and would not be effected by clearing the cache in the SmugMug app. I could see this working amazingly well with smart folders.

Thank you for continuing to innovate. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    OscarcOscarc Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    The app is currently downloading photos at the "Medium" resolution which is at most 600 pixels wide and 450 pixels high. This is technically smaller than can be displayed on a Droid or Galaxy Tab. We'll be adding a feature to allow images to be downloaded at higher resolutions. The tradeoff here is that images will take longer to download and you will potentially run into memory problems.

Thank you, that would be really wonderful!

It might also be nice that if the photo resolution being downloaded is smaller than the screen resolution, the app wouldn't try to upscale the photos, but would instead display them at native resolution.
  • Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Separate functions for Guests
    Morning,

Agree with the rest, good app. Installed it on my Samsung Galaxy S which is running Android 2.2 and it works fine.

1/ I see referencies in earlier text suggesting "having two app icons, one for upload, one for browsing". This may be just what I am looking for. This app is very good for me when I sign in and do work. But I also need one for wife and friends who just want to view the photos. If that is what is covered with the separate browsing icon, then I am very happy.

2/ Also, my guests should only see the Categories and Albums that are shown online. So if an album is Unlisted it should be shown only to me and not to a Guest. This also applies to Categories but may be a bit trickier. I have a few hidden Categories that are not shown in the list online. They are hidden using the documented function "delCategory" in the site wide customization area.

3/ It is not clear to me if and how images are stored in the mobile. Could someone explain this, thanks

4/ I support the suggestion that photos marked as "Hide Photo" should not be shown to visitors. However, they should be shown to me when I sign in.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • Options
    CubfanCubfan Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2011
    We really need a batch upload feature. I am on a trip and only being able to select one picture at a time is incredibly tedious!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Actually, on the Samsung Galaxy S, you can access the bulk upload feature from within the SmugMug Android app. Here's what I tried on my co-worker's phone:
    Go to the 'get media' tab and there you can click on 'pick image' to access your list of albums on the phone. You can either select a whole folder or multiple images within the a folder. That's done with the menu button (physical button at the bottom left) on the phone. It'll allow you to select multiple items and then you just click on the share button > SmugMug Mobile option and you'll be able to select your SmugMug gallery and upload photos in bulk.

A HTC Desire (Android 2.2) user reported this:
    "BUT if I go into Albums from the camera app and then Share and select
    SmugMug Mobile, the option to upload multiple items is now available."

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Wow!
    Fantastic! I love the speed of this app on my Droid Incredible. I can't stop showing it off to people!

Yes there are minor features here and there to add/remove/tweak, but there are always ways to improve something. It is very good as is; knowing Smugmug the way I do I know it will only get better from here.

Well done, team - and keep up the great work!clap.gif
  • Options
    kwhippkwhipp Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2011
    I DID love this app, up until the last update. The app just force closes every time the app starts and scans the galleries. It seams as I am not the only one, https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smugmug.android. Folks are having similar issues and posting on the Android Market.

I have submitted several crash reports. Is anyone working on these issues?
  • Options
    havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    kwhipp wrote: »
    I DID love this app, up until the last update. The app just force closes every time the app starts and scans the galleries. It seams as I am not the only one, https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smugmug.android. Folks are having similar issues and posting on the Android Market.

VZW wireless
    HTC Incredible
    Android 2.2
    Smugmug 1.05

No issues with viewing, uploading or saving to phone.

What specs do you have?
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    timganglofftimgangloff Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Verizon Thunderbolt. App force crashes every use in either 3g or 4g or wifi.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2011
    havanese wrote: »
    VZW wireless
    HTC Incredible
    Android 2.2
    Smugmug 1.05

No issues with viewing, uploading or saving to phone.

What specs do you have?

Motorola Droid X
    Adroid 2.2
    Smugmug 1.05

Prior to loading Smugmug 1.05 I had zero issues viewing and uploading via 3G or WiFi. Also, I had no issue saving to my phone.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    kwhipp wrote: »

Thanks for pointing this out - there was a problem that manifested itself with our new url scheme when there were spaces in the filename. A fix has been posted to the android marketplace (version 1.06).

We're still looking at Thunderbolt which is a separate issue. Are there any Thunderbolt users out there who are *not* experiencing problems when using the 4g chip? Using the app over wifi seems to work well as far as we can tell but reports indicate the 4g chip is causing problems.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Thanks for pointing this out - there was a problem that manifested itself with our new url scheme when there were spaces in the filename. A fix has been posted to the android marketplace (version 1.06).

We're still looking at Thunderbolt which is a separate issue. Are there any Thunderbolt users out there who are *not* experiencing problems when using the 4g chip? Using the app over wifi seems to work well as far as we can tell but reports indicate the 4g chip is causing problems.

Thank you @eron! Version 1.06 resolved my FC issue. I'm back to using and loving this little app!

Zapped over from my Droid X.
  • Options
    FotonFoton Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Cubfan wrote: »
    We really need a batch upload feature. I am on a trip and only being able to select one picture at a time is incredibly tedious!

Agreed. Please put this feature on top of the developers list.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2011
    anr78 wrote: »
    Even before I'm asked about credentials I get an message saying: "Timestamp error - perhaps your clock isn't set correctly"

I've had to set the date/time manually since getting it from the network didn't seem to work.

I'm running Android 2.3.3 (on a Samsung Galaxy S).

Where are you located? We are unable to upgrade to Android 2.3.3 here in mountain view with ATT as our carrier. I'm not sure what we can do to repeat your problem. Are you absolutely sure the year is correct on your phone?
  • Options
    AndyTAndyT Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2011
    Video playback app
    Running SmugMug Android 1.07 on Nexus 1 (v 2.3.4). When a video is selected a prompt comes up for the two video players on the phone: Meridian and Movies. Both apps have the message 'Cannot play video Sorry, this video cannot be played'.

Which video app do I need to play video on the phone?
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I'm a very new Android user (Thunderbolt) and would like to try this out, as I was only able to upload photos one-by-one when I tried from my phone through the usual uploaders, etc. I can't wade through this entire thread right now and haven't done any but the usual type of app installation (through the market, etc.) So, is there some link I can send myself in an email or whatever so that I can download this app to the phone itself? I'm getting around pretty well on the phone, but probably won't be able to figure out a whole lot of non-standard installation stuff. (and yeah, I realize it's still Beta, but that's ok w/ me. I won't be a great critic since I'm so new at this, but I can at least let you know whether the basics work well on the Thunderbolt). Thanks!! I'm glad androids are getting some attention--- I have really great display on the T-bolt & photos look terrific-- better than any other phone I checked out, so I'm psyched to do some more with it!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Anna Lisa,

The app is available directly in the market and not in beta anymore. You can find details and a direct link to the market here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93285-uploading-from-android

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Anna Lisa,

The app is available directly in the market and not in beta anymore. You can find details and a direct link to the market here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93285-uploading-from-android

Sebastian
    Thanks a bunch! I found it & it seems pretty straightforward & handsomely tidy. Haven't tried uploading with it yet, because we were in read-only mode there for a bit today. It will be very handy to use though, and I like the settings available for now, & everything looks great on a Thunderbolt. Only critique I have off the bat is that the two choices for how you want your galleries listed are "By Update" and "By position". I gathered that the first one means "Most recently updated", as I could tell that the most recent galleries I've worked on came up first. However, I have no idea what the second one means. I can't get a handle on what the order is. Position where... how...?? So that should have a better name, and maybe it should also be a completely different option, since that option probably doesn't mean much to anyone. I guess changes may not happen for some time since it's out of Beta, but maybe in some future update...
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com