edited February 1, 2012
    A couple more pull backs.

Setup: Pretty basic clam shell.
    6689856037_38a8e186e7_z.jpg

Result:
    6689867211_ca60be9e57_z.jpg

A collage of my octabox overhead rig:
    6694568221_552ec71f15_z.jpg
    All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    Nice, thanks.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    Finally remembered to take some pullbacks during my most recent shoot. One of my biggest challenges is SPACE - in fact, it's at the point where it's becoming a huge limitation, but still somehow I try to make it work. I'd give anything for any empty room though! Sadly, we live in every square inch of our small 1920's bungalow, so nothing I can commandeer for studio use...

Anyway, I've come up with ways of using my living room. I was in the process of clearing up for the shoot when I took these, so excuse the dog toys and vacuum cleaner!!

The LR is approximately 10x15 - the length is fine, but the narrow 10' width drives me nuts as it's so hard to get lights to the sides. The boom stand I got has helped A LOT with this - can't believe I didn't do it years ago. (ETA - babygates are because we have a puppy!!)

(these are just reverse shots of each other)
    i-mVM8nZ8-M.jpg

I also have a Botero popup which I use, although I lean that against the bookcase rather than hang it, but I'm pretty proud of my ingenious and CHEAP way of hanging polypaper backdrops (they're very light and not expensive - I'm a converted fan!).

I tapped 3 very small nails into the top of the bookcase (although I may replace them with small cup hook screws for greater ease of use) - they're completely invisible from the ground. I then use zip ties hooked over the nails to hold the shower pole in place, with shower curtain rings, and curtain clip rings to attach the drops themselves. Total cost about $10 (if that).

i-vGWqxW9-M.jpg

I did something similar in the vestibule, using the doorframes + tension of the shower pole to hold it in place without any fittings - it has to hang across the bathroom door, but so be it. As long as it's pulled above the floor, you can just slide it over as I have done here.

i-zLgKNLs-L.jpg

The shot below was taken with her leaning against the vestibule door frame (it's cropped out, but it's there!). The foamcore on teh ground is used as a bouncer for a single flash to light the bg - it never quite manages hikey the way you could with 2x flagged studio strobes, but it's close enough that I can boost it in post as needed, and it self-flags to avoid haze/flare.

i-r4Cxf8L-M.jpg

i-3ccZvH7-L.jpg

ALmost all of my indoor images are taken in this space. I really want it to have that NY loft look, so have worked hard to try and fake it! Not sure it always works, but this last shoot probably came as close as I ever have, and I'll be repeating these setups FOR SURE.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    I think you did an outstanding job of "faking it". Good stuff. The lower catch light at 7-8 o'clock was caused by what?
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    Been off for a few weeks trying to take care of mom and dad and can't get my head back into photography yet. Asked a detective to come in and model. She is a hoot and can probably kick my butt so these are the more modest ones. I really need to get it together soon so don't pick too hard.

First three of her are with the 4x6 and reflector plus two lights on the background. Picked up the plastic white corregated sheets as 2x8 from Home Depot and they are neat. Can also used them with colored gels for some neat effects.

1. i-KcG4tJb-XL.jpg

2. i-F4NqPnD-XL.jpg

3. i-sWgspXr-XL.jpg

4. i-D74v3MV-XL.jpg

5. i-kMcPSfp-XL.jpg

The next set was with two lights on the background and a Paul Buff Alien Been 800 right light with a Moon Unit on the front.

6. i-nPC6MH9-XL.jpg

7. i-nSvpgvg-XL.jpg

8. i-rXjmcN7-XL.jpg

9. i-7Pq62jN-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    You use your local Lowes most creatively! I like the last one of her the best - she's got strong features and muscles, and that one softens her the most. Love the hair!

As for the catchlights you asked about, I'm pretty sure those come from the "oops, I forgot it was still on" flash behind the foamcore on the floor (I was also using the Trilite, but those catchlights are smaller). She was standing against the wall/doorframe, not sitting on the stool. I'm not crazy about the low catchlight, but I loooovveee what the light bouncing first off the foamcore and then off the white background (and then, presumably, around the room) did for the ambient. It's not controlled, of course, but I love the "airy" look it gives, and now I know I that can work I can position, flag, and use reflectors as needed to get what I want. I'm so desperate for more space, but there's just no way to do that at this point. It's all good! thumb.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    I have two questions after seeing DM and Hackbone's set up.
    1) For both of you, how high is the ceiling as that is what is worrying me about my house locations?
    2) Hackbone do you heat the garage or is it a truly converted space?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    Brad, we have quite high ceilings - I think they're 8'8". Biggest problem for me on that score is that there's a ceiling fan and in the summer I sometimes forget it's on before moving the light.... Oops. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    Brad, I bought a tiny house and then added a 16 by 34 camera room to it that also has 10 ft ceilings. I don't think I said it was a garage but I know a guy in Vegas who does outstanding portrait and commercial work out of his garage and makes a ton of money there. I wanted the space because I'm lazy and don't want to move alot of props, boy did that idea go out the window fast.
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Diva; where do you buy your polypaper?
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    Charles, thanks for the dimensions - that puts things into perspective for me. Your space is slightly WIDER than mine is long - ouch rolleyes1.gif

Hinson, I have been buying these through lemondropstop.com - if you "like" them on Facebook, they often offer promotions through there, too. They have hundreds or designs. The whimsical and vintage ones aren't useful for my own style, but many of the brick and wood ones are great. The plain white you see hanging on the bookcase in my pullbacks is actually just the back of a more patterned one (I just turned it around). Both of these are 5x7 - I got the extra length thinking I'd need it and in fact it's just a pain. Next batch will definitely be 5x5, which are $50 except they usually have some kind of offer/coupon for either 10 or 15% off which makes them very affordable. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Charles, thanks for the dimensions - that puts things into perspective for me. Your space is slightly WIDER than mine is long - ouch rolleyes1.gif

Hinson, I have been buying these through lemondropstop.com - if you "like" them on Facebook, they often offer promotions through there, too. They have hundreds or designs. The whimsical and vintage ones aren't useful for my own style, but many of the brick and wood ones are great. The plain white you see hanging on the bookcase in my pullbacks is actually just the back of a more patterned one (I just turned it around). Both of these are 5x7 - I got the extra length thinking I'd need it and in fact it's just a pain. Next batch will definitely be 5x5, which are $50 except they usually have some kind of offer/coupon for either 10 or 15% off which makes them very affordable. thumb.gif

Thanks Diva; I'll check them out.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I often go to fabric stores and buy 6 to 8 ft of a fabric I like. I did like this green one so I added a green gel to intensify it abit more. Two kickers a bkg lt and a 4x6 main.

1. i-jD7pHw5-XL.jpg

2. i-S3SLLTW-X2.jpg

A main, one kicker and bkg. The main was right in front of her and I stood directly in front of that.

3. i-BdHFhSK-X2.jpg

4. i-jcRRhbJ-X2.jpg

two kickers on the bkg and the 4x6 plus reflector.

5. i-5B8LBMn-X2.jpg

6. i-jrsrP43-X2.jpg

The reflector was set up for a different shot on this set up. I just moved it to the right for the next shot. Note how much light is being reflected back to the subject.
    7. i-tkGTZcL-XL.jpg

8. i-dD68dXL-X2.jpg

Last one with the same reflector set up.

9. i-2TsJmjX-X2.jpg

10. i-qcXvcCX-X2.jpg

OMG Hack, these are terrific and she is, of course, GORGEOUS!!!iloveyou.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    Here is one with a ring light. Shooting thru it with iso about 600.

i-SH6TDdf-L.jpg

i-BBtzS63-L.jpg

i-RTr5C3B-L.jpg

i-7HTfWjQ-XL.jpg

Why not use the light itself as part of the bkg. I had dad hold a plastic mirror about 20x30 to open the shadows some

i-wvCXGnX-XL.jpg
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Playing around last night. My space is tight but not as tight as Diva's. I shot this set with my 70-200mm at the long end. At times, I was shooting from 3 rooms away!! rolleyes1.gif
    • AB1600 in 30"x60" softbox with inside diffuser removed @ camera left
    • AB400 in gridded strip box @ camera right
    • AB400 in 7" reflector with 20 degree grid for hair light

DSC5807-XL.jpg

DSC5757-Edit-X3.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    Way to go!!!! Very nice job. Been out of town on a cruse and I come back and you've caught up. WOW!! Some items told to me in the past......keep fill on the same side as your main. If your not careful it might cause some cross shadows. When the arm is out like it is it gets more light than the face and becomes hotter. You can mininize it by tipping the light to a certain extent and dropping the hand a little lower accents the waist line even more. Your a lucky guy to have such a nice wife.......I mean lights.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Charles,

So you mean keep the fill just to camera left in this setup? Basically, directly in front but to the side just enough so the fill light is not blocking the shot?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Yes, I was taught to keep the fill on the same side as the main so not to create extra shadows. That is how you build your ratios. The fill hits both sides of the face and the main only one so you build dimensional lighting.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Yes, I was taught to keep the fill on the same side as the main so not to create extra shadows. That is how you build your ratios. The fill hits both sides of the face and the main only one so you build dimensional lighting.

Yes, I learned the same way. But like they say, rules are made to be broken and it looks like he nailed the Rembrandt lighting.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Here's one from my light control experiments with Kat in the studio

142045510.jpg

and the result
    p493416516-4.jpg
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    The white bkg were with the 4x6 box basically off to my left and a reflector and two lights on the bkg, the grey bkg had the box directly behind me as I stood in front of it. #4 does have two kickers coming backtoward her to rim her. The pink was with a ring light and one light on the bkg. Nothing special just a fun Zumba instructor that needed something in two days due to her moving. These are basically straight out of camera. A little Capture One black point and cropped but nothing else.

1. i-s498MrM-XL.jpg

2. i-mTp3K2d-XL.jpg

3. i-9D4CNpP-XL.jpg

4. i-WXvhRTL-XL.jpg

5. i-j5WD4Z9-XL.jpg

6. i-kxxrtM6-XL.jpg

7. i-WwhhJM4-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    new backgrounds
    Found some new backgrounds.

An old carpet. You can see the lighting, a main and reflector, a kicker and a light on the rug.

1.i-bkns3dC-XL.jpg

2.i-LbfjqBQ-XL.jpg

And an old piece of fabric.

3.i-kqBFPjN-XL.jpg

4. i-7sJFd3D-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    new light position
    Trying a high angle main over subject and out in front.

1. i-9qMxxj5-XL.jpg

2. i-W8ZJQ7J-XL.jpg

3. i-8gN9xdw-XL.jpg

4. i-2V8BbQP-XL.jpg

5. i-bxMh3Q4-XL.jpg

6. i-NCvmGD2-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    Just for fun. Changed my bkg lighting to just two flashes with no boxes.

1.i-cxpdmvF-XL.jpg

2. .i-VktV4jx-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    Charles,

What do you have the SB above mounted on? A boom arm? If so, which one brand? I think I've asked before but can't remember. I'm in need of a good boom arm that can hold some weight like that.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    The big box (4x6) is mounted on a mono pole called a titan jr that has a three legged base. The smaller box that is on the overhead is on a bogen/manfrotto boom arm. That box is a 3x4.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    love love this thread it is so helpful to me in understanding lighting , thank you for taking the time to do this for us!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Trudy, your welcome but now post your pullbacks so we can learn from you. Becsuse of John I'm going to start playing with gels again.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2012
    Terrific Hack. I'm sure you'll do it better and gels are fun. :)
  • Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    Thank you
    hackbone. Your posts are great! Thanks so much for sharing. Your house is a photographer's dream and I hope one day to have a little playground like you have!
    Question for ya, Do you have a favorite focal length and aperture you like to shoot at?

recreational buildings