Options

Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    Very, very nice. Try getting your main as close as possible, just out of frame or possibly catching the edge and see what you think of the light and shadow. Thanks for posting. You've made great use of your space.
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Very, very nice. Try getting your main as close as possible, just out of frame or possibly catching the edge and see what you think of the light and shadow. Thanks for posting. You've made great use of your space.

thank you for the encouragement! Ill try moving it in closer next time the lady lets me destroy her living room rolleyes1.gif

also got my first strobe in today:

8ECF7C09-8E3D-4EA8-945A-AC2B0B7BE181-23120-00001F47CE5F5476.jpg

let the madness begin deal.gif
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Congrats on the AB800! I'm on the verge of picking up an Einstein (thanks to Charles' endorsement!)
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2012
    Found a new work space :D

EB799EE7-7EAE-43C7-B55C-1D1921E6D375-27471-000025F07ED58405.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2012
    Remember, a big light very close is a soft light on your subject. Move it further away and it gets harder. Also a tiny light source is hard. So.......get that thing in as close, just out of frame, for a great soft light for your cute model. Get everything closer to the right wall and use that as a reflector if it is white. This space is great!

ps.....are any of the windows facing north.....that could be even better.
  • Options
    AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    Still Loving this thread! Very cool!
  • Options
    Remember, a big light very close is a soft light on your subject. Move it further away and it gets harder. Also a tiny light source is hard. So.......get that thing in as close, just out of frame, for a great soft light for your cute model. Get everything closer to the right wall and use that as a reflector if it is white. This space is great!

The window is actually east facing and thank you for the tip on using the wall as a reflector. I did end up moving the light in closer once we got to shooting (probably still not close enough) but was still having issues with the "not having a sync cable or wireless setup" yet. I have since gotten my hot shoe adapter for the sync cable. Its soooooo nice to be able to freely move and still have the light fire clap.gif

definitely wasnt my best shoot but its getting there. I was about to order a couple new back drops but ended up having to pay for new parts to put on the ladies car. The lower ball joint (well the entire lower control arm) needed to be replaced and she also ran something over something so we will need two new tire as well rolleyes1.gif The wonderful life of being an automotive technician

oh well. Maybe in a month or two
  • Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2012

Great advice Charles, thank you!

• Options
    Your don't need a sync cord to fire your strobe. You can use your on camera flash to trip the slave on your main unit. It will help if you have the flash that is separate from the camera not built in. You can then put it on the camera, tip it up or away from your subject and it will fire the strobe. Will even act as a fill it you play with it.
  • Options
    If I moved up even with the strobe or if the rear of it was facing away from the camera, the on camera flash wouldnt trigger it. Made moving around pretty hard. Pretty much had to keep the strobe somewhat a head of me so it would trigger. But I do have the hot shoe adapter now so I am able to more or less freely move and not worry about the strobe not firing.
  • Options
    Did you have the little pop up flash or a traditional separate unit. The separate unit aimed at the ceiling should fire the strobe.
  • Options
    pop up flash. This strobe is my first venture into lighting outside of using hot lamps so I never ended up with a separate unit
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2012
    Ordered a pair of Canon 600EX Rt flashes. They are radio controlled and can do hi speed sync. The first set were taken with the same set up as show. The prints are all straight out of camera but with some black point and minor exposure correction then converted to jpegs. Kept one cool and the others warmer.
    All shots were 1/160, ISO 100 f3.2 with 85mm prime.

1. i-VQpDHwx-XL.jpg

2. i-VHZQfnb-XL.jpg

3. i-ZJ2R5zD-XL.jpg

4. i-cdfgbsR-XL.jpg

5. [img][/img]

On the second set same set up but with mom blocking the sun.

6. i-tGf6TS8-XL.jpg

7. i-CKrqMJ8-XL.jpg

8. i-7X6CdpJ-XL.jpg

9. i-r3R6fBm-XL.jpg
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Playing with gels. Although not shown in the pull back, I had a yellow gel in the BG light on the right and an orange on the left in the first photo. Second shot is with purple on the right and blue on the left. It's the first time I've ever used gels. It took me a bit to figure out you really have to stop down the light so you don't blow out the color.

DSC3153-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC3199-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC3171-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    Great job on the gels. What color bkg did you start with.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Great job on the gels. What color bkg did you start with.

White vinyl BG. The one in the pullback.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    Shit. I forgot the pullback for the shots above:

DSC3224-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    KMpicsKMpics Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2012
    Just before bath time I became inspired so I brought up some lights from the studio into the living room.
    i-tdkm8dz-L.jpg

i-wLZrPzd-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2012
    Very effective, can we see a shot straight out of camera?
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2012
    Very effective, can we see a shot straight out of camera?

Sure! Here you go.
    i-6qhfFrk-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2012
    That was a great idea with great ingenuity. Don't forget you can even use you box as a bkg as it goes off.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2012
    i-mwjBsjz-XL.jpg

i-W8hZHL2-L.jpg
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    KMpics wrote: »

i-W8hZHL2-L.jpg

Curious: what are the two speedlights on the table lighting?
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Curious: what are the two speedlights on the table lighting?

They were in the pumpkin... woops forgot to mention that! oh and one of them stopped firing for whatever reason and the pumpkin wasn't lit near as much as it was when I set up the shot :(
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2012
    Slowly getting back into this after surgery.

All were taken with this setup. At times both flashes used in direct sunlight and in the shade dropped back to one flash. Some in manual mode and some in ETTL.

1. i-sw3z3pn-XL.jpg

2. i-qQjx4LF-XL.jpg

3. i-L8KmrP4-XL.jpg

4. i-WDKGrBX-XL.jpg

5. i-Fmg83CK-XL.jpg

6. i-f4WmGbb-XL.jpg
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2012
    Charles:

Your work is fantastic & hopefully, one day I'll be half as good as you! Below are a few from a shoot this past Saturday. At first, I had both of my 580's set to ETTL mode, but all I could hear was Charles standing over my left shoulder saying, "Get out of automatic - you can do son!!!" I looked back, smiled & with some hesitation, switched my speedlites to Manual. The first set (with pooch) were shot in ETTL & at f8. The second set was shot at f8 1/80 to allow more ambient (highlights brought down in post). The third set (bridge) were shot at f11 1/100. Comments & Critique are welcomed!!!! Thanks :)

i-QVgrQbp-XL.jpg

i-LPZP53X-XL.jpg

i-Z2ZZngp-XL.jpg

i-pVk4fhm-XL.jpg

i-g4tc5P7-XL.jpg

i-RHDRs8V-XL.jpg

i-jHWR2xb-XL.jpg
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2012
    Travis, as they say, " You did Good". I find it hard to expose for light and dark skin and you did a surperb job. This work is very pleasing and extremely sellable. Manual is so much easier to adjust for. Add a vignette and see how that looks. Your a fast study, congrats.
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    cool stuff - man , thanks for sharing the setup
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    BEAUTIFUL!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    Charles:

Your work is fantastic & hopefully, one day I'll be half as good as you! Below are a few from a shoot this past Saturday. At first, I had both of my 580's set to ETTL mode, but all I could hear was Charles standing over my left shoulder saying, "Get out of automatic - you can do son!!!" I looked back, smiled & with some hesitation, switched my speedlites to Manual. The first set (with pooch) were shot in ETTL & at f8. The second set was shot at f8 1/80 to allow more ambient (highlights brought down in post). The third set (bridge) were shot at f11 1/100. Comments & Critique are welcomed!!!! Thanks :)

i-QVgrQbp-XL.jpg

i-LPZP53X-XL.jpg

i-Z2ZZngp-XL.jpg

i-pVk4fhm-XL.jpg

i-g4tc5P7-XL.jpg

i-RHDRs8V-XL.jpg

i-jHWR2xb-XL.jpg

I respect this work -- you have to have the patience of a saint to take a sandbag, boom, octa, etc. onto location for this type of work (that usually needs to move quickly to keep a good flow going). I hope you had an assistant!