Options

Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Ok, you have to understand that I can be lazy at times. It's much easier for me ( and I understand its a personal taste) to drop the sat and just accept the bkg result. I really don't find it offensive but again it's just personal taste.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Ok, you have to understand that I can be lazy at times. It's much easier for me ( and I understand its a personal taste) to drop the sat and just accept the bkg result. I really don't find it offensive but again it's just personal taste.

Totally understand! Just throwing up what I saw! I enjoy your posts regardless!
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2013
    Please always CC. I still have much to learn!!,,
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2013
    Working with the beauty dish.

1. i-CtwVtMN-XL.jpg

2. i-pBnHnzh-XL.jpg

3. i-tjzGbw2-XL.jpg
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    I have to lessen the warmth or drop the saturation a tad when I photograph black skin for it to look realistic. Whenever I white bal it comes out way too warm. I have heard many comments from the black community that they would rather come to me than others because their skin looks real and not orange in my work.

Her skin tone looks great. You can change the wb of the subject independently of the background using LR4. It works great.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    I'm not the biggest fan of LR, I rather use C1 instead. One, I know how to use it and secondly the images seem to be a tad, just a tad, sharper in C1. If I was going for a competition print I would put more time into a print but when your doing a lot of prints I will take some short cuts.

Again I really like when someone points out a better way and will look into what you suggest. Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    Some pets.

1. i-qPWdPLf-XL.jpg

2. i-bTMx4xQ-XL.jpg

3. i-Qh9FFC8-XL.jpg

4. i-wpNHrtW-XL.jpg

5. i-rzDwjBg-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    Not a fan of the first one. For some reason it looks like its been cut out to me. I love spaniels though! we have a cavalier king charles spaniel. the second one is awesome!
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    I bumped up the clarityslider and added some pop from Topaz.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    Just some pull backs from a Vid shoot from Feburary. Charles; et al, hopefully me interjecting this won't detract from the awesome photos I see daily posted here.

Lighting:

2 500w shop lights above and behind talent.

3 250w shop lights shooting thru thin board cut-out, to light eyes.

1 750w fresnel off to ( collective) actors left. dimmed to put out about 400w.

1 250w shop light hitting reflective board to right of actors.

Hope you enjoy and the final product is here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1863463#post1863463

Lights, Shop lights in fact. Long slot cut thru board for lighting to just skirt the eyes of the talent.

Lights-L.jpg

Talent

On%202-L.jpg

Listening to the talent...

Listening-L.jpg

Hoping I don't run out of energy or talent! :)

Watching-L.jpg

Doing that one man production thing.

Tree-L.jpg
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    Tom, we definitely love seeing these, keep them coming. Love to see practicality at work.
  • Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    I have to lessen the warmth or drop the saturation a tad when I photograph black skin for it to look realistic. Whenever I white bal it comes out way too warm. I have heard many comments from the black community that they would rather come to me than others because their skin looks real and not orange in my work.

Well done Charles. Forgive me if this has already been asked but what lights are you running with your setup? Thanks.

edited April 8, 2013
    Chris,

I use Alien Bees and White Lightnings. Throw in a ring light and one of Paul Buffs Ring Flash with a moon unit on it. Modifiers are generally Larson softboxes and a Paul Buff PLM. Mostly 400 or 800 units. I had a photogenic 1200 but it was too much power and I could never dial it down enough to get 2.8 when I wanted to.
  • Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Chris,

I use Alien Bees and White Lightnings. Throw in a ring light and one of Paul Buffs Ring Flash with a moon unit on it. Modifiers are generally Larson softboxes and a Paul Buff PLM. Mostly 400 or 800 units. I had a photogenic 1200 but it was too much power and I could never dial it down enough to get 2.8 when I wanted to.

Excellent choices with the AB's & WL, I'm a fan of them as well. Wasn't sure if they were 400 or 800...thanks for clarifying. clap.gif

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/MamarazziAcademy]The Mamarazzi Academy[/URL]
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    These were all taken with one Canon 600 EX RT flash with no box on it. I needed more power so the box came off and just used the flash. #2 & 3 were lit as shown in #1. Bright sunlight to my left side. Roughly 3 to 4:30.

1. i-Dqw4jhG-XL.jpg

2. i-CpdzShz-XL.jpg

3. i-jtfczzt-XL.jpg

This one was in a shaded area and wanted a brighter bkg and the camera was in one hand and holding the flash pole over my head with the other hand.

4. i-wTSSgZq-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    Camo Prom Dress

1. i-VWL3tnK-XL.jpg

2. i-5RGLJFG-XL.jpg

3. i-4TLrFQ3-XL.jpg

4. i-hLhHHc2-XL.jpg

5. i-R3xmTzC-XL.jpg

6. i-MHjsJBT-XL.jpg

7. i-jJcmQXW-XL.jpg

8. i-4hQrZ6x-X2.jpg

9. i-fv5cc8Q-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2013
    Hackbone, very nice...well done. I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around...but, thanks. We ought to figure out a way to give you a merit badge.clap.gif
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2013
    Same basic setup and on the first few added some furniture. A doctor needed a print for a magazine cover that didn't have too many distractions so the text on the cover would stand out. I did crop them differently for the mag to allow room for text but these are a more traditional crop.

Used large main, reflector for fill, a timid kicker and bkg lt.

1. i-65mtq2k-XL.jpg

2. i-cFVrx8f-XL.jpg

3. i-nTGFKf7-XL.jpg

4. i-jj636c2-XL.jpg

5. i-qkD95DJ-XL.jpg

6. i-wMxMKcw-XL.jpg
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    Same basic setup and on the first few added some furniture. A doctor needed a print for a magazine cover that didn't have too many distractions so the text on the cover would stand out. I did crop them differently for the mag to allow room for text but these are a more traditional crop.

Used large main, reflector for fill, a timid kicker and bkg lt.

1. i-65mtq2k-XL.jpg

2. i-cFVrx8f-XL.jpg

3. i-nTGFKf7-XL.jpg

4. i-jj636c2-XL.jpg

5. i-qkD95DJ-XL.jpg

6. i-wMxMKcw-XL.jpg

The lighting on this series is beautiful & very well balanced! Well done Charles :D
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2013
    Thanks Travis, hope your having much success.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2013
    These two shots were done with just the reflector. In the first shot it was about 15-20 ft away catching the very bright sun and on the second one it was leaned up against me about 10 feet away. On the first one the sun was so bright the reflector is casting one heck of a shadow. This side of the bldg is a north light situation. No flash on these two.

WE NEED SOME POSTS FROM OTHERS.....COME ON LETS POST AND LEARN.

1. i-z37jWF2-XL.jpg

2. i-CrRSQ2d-XL.jpg

3. i-zzVd2Dr-XL.jpg
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2013
    Though not a pullback in the sense of this thread, what with my having forgot to actually take a pullback shot, I still thought I'd risk it and give everyone a look behind the curtain of my last project.

i-mpRcqF7-XL.png

The umbrella is an 86" PLM
    The gridded boxes are Large PCB boxes.
    All the lights were Einsteins.
    The Key was at f/8 and the kickers were at f/5.6 (I don't care what anyone says, light meters rock!)

i-NP3r5x5-XL.jpg

The Subject was shot in our gym, no backdrop - don't have one yet.

i-K8WXmT6-XL.jpg

I wanted early morning light, but the gates to our field don't open till 7:00am and the coach didn't have the net in the goal until 7:30am, so you get what you get.

i-8ZWbLTz-XL.jpg

Took this one a couple of months ago on my iPhone 4. It was just one of those days that looked incredible. Now I shoot clouds and other stuff whenever I can and stuff it away. You never know when it might be useful.

The top three photos are SOOC. The only thing done to them is convert to jpeg with the exception of the cloud photo which was already a jpeg.

i-cLfH2Qw-XL.jpg

And the finished product. I have no expectation of getting a call from the World Cup anytime soon, but I'm a little proud of it and the soccer team loved it.

So there you have it, 3 ho hum shots that anyone could have taken that came together quite nicely IMHO. :D
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2013
    First, thanks for posting. Secondly, it is one hell of a good shot that was done well done. An excellent composite.
  • Options
    AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2013
    That is very cool even in the first image before combining them.

I was going to try to shoot a pull back on my little practice food shoot I was playing

around with Charles but I did not have it all clamped in place and was holding half of

my reflectors. So to shoot the pull back it would have been a collapse mess.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2013
    Andee, would love to see how you handle food, please post.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2013
    I will post one from today. I do not have the pull back part this time. I will work on that down the road. I am a work in progress and kinda rusty at that. Part natural light coming in from the left, speed light bounced off the window and a foam-core over head. There was also a white foam core to the right to reflect light in. I was holding a white board in front of the table too. Kind of a balancing act. So that is why no pull back on this one sorry.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2013
    For these kind of shots do some research with photoshop on image stacking. You might like the results.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2013
    I will need to try that. I found a tutorial for that but it is for CS6 and I only have CS5. Thanks for the tip I will take a look at that. I will need to do a deeper search for older tutorials.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2013
    I'm not home for the weekend but I think it was on 5
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2013
    Andee wrote: »
    I will need to try that. I found a tutorial for that but it is for CS6 and I only have CS5. Thanks for the tip I will take a look at that. I will need to do a deeper search for older tutorials.

Re stacking, it'd also be worth checking the macro forum to see what ppl there use - there's at least one free stacker app and I suspect that something like zerene (commercial) may well be better than pshop's. ( was written by a very experienced guy who knows exactly what it's all about)

Personally, I prefer the wide open / shallow dof food shots - often as seen in colour supplement mags ... but each to their own :)

pp