Options

Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2013
    Just curiously Charles, how big is the space your working in? Is it a garage studio? I'm thinking of doing something in my garage and was wondering if the space is too limiting.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2013
    As anticipated, well done Charles!

Charles:

What would be your suggestion be to even out the light distribution in the upper left corner when only using 3 lights? I realize this shadow is being cast by the PLM umbrella hitting the hair light. Would it work if the hair light was moved to the same side as the kicker? Thanks....
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2013
    A better question would be if the hair light was even necessary. I would think that PLM should do a decent job all by itself, given her position.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2013
    Intrigued by the curved reflector....details?
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2013
    Charles:

What would be your suggestion be to even out the light distribution in the upper left corner when only using 3 lights? I realize this shadow is being cast by the PLM umbrella hitting the hair light. Would it work if the hair light was moved to the same side as the kicker? Thanks....

I simply blew it. I didn't catch it and it should have been on the other side. I confess, at times I just get lazy. Good catch. This is only my second attempt with the PLM. I'm not totally happy with it. This is the mid size and I just ordered the 84" yesterday. I have to practice with it more to get the feel for it.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Intrigued by the curved reflector....details?

diva, it is called an "eyelighter" by Larry Peters out in Ohio. Alot of folks try to duplicate the effect but his is based on angles and surface which the others do not have.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2013
    jpc wrote: »
    A better question would be if the hair light was even necessary. I would think that PLM should do a decent job all by itself, given her position.

JPC,

A kicker and or hairlight is always what separates a good photograph from a quality photograph when used properly. It should have been on the other side. Originally I had her turned the other way but didn't like that side of her as much as the other side. So with turning her I forgot to move the kicker to the other side.....working too fast for my own sake.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Just curiously Charles, how big is the space your working in? Is it a garage studio? I'm thinking of doing something in my garage and was wondering if the space is too limiting.

My camera room is about a 22 by 36ish and mostly I try to use the 70/200 lens for most work so I need the depth.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    JPC,

A kicker and or hairlight is always what separates a good photograph from a quality photograph....

Yes, of course. Thanks for explaining what it was doing over there;)

I used two of the 54" PLM at a shoot a week ago and I was very surprised at the quality of light. It's more similar to a softbox than I thought and WAY easier to transport.
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2013
    I simply blew it. I didn't catch it and it should have been on the other side. I confess, at times I just get lazy. Good catch. This is only my second attempt with the PLM. I'm not totally happy with it. This is the mid size and I just ordered the 84" yesterday. I have to practice with it more to get the feel for it.

Charles:

No worries - because of your direction & teachings, you've trained my eye to look for these type of things :D The photo is still a great one!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2013
    Charles,
    Was there a snoot or grid on the light hitting the background? The light doesn't appear to be too spread out.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2013
    It was a 30* grid.
  • Options
    AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2013
    Some how I stopped getting noticed of new posts on this. So I am posting this in hopes I will get them again. Love this tread!:ivar
  • Options
    GrayPlayerGrayPlayer Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2013
    If this has been covered please excuse the duplication.

When using a multiple lighting system and to test the effect of each light, light with each light individually, access the results and make adjustments.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2013
    You want to expose for the highlights to get an exposure that retains information in those areas otherwise those areas are blown out and have no values. There are various ways to do this. One way is to use a light meter that has been calibrated with your camera. Use your histogram to make your evaluation but reading it is tricky due to what the background is doing and how much of it is in the scene as well as a few other factors. Others do in by chimping their viewscreen however this also has its problems due to the brightness of your viewscreen.( you can make it brighter or darker). You need to experiment with one of these and learn the effect. Then add lights according to taste, I would add one light at a time and evaluate its effect. It can be daunting at first but repetition and evaluation will work for you.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    GrayPlayer wrote: »
    If this has been covered please excuse the duplication.

When using a multiple lighting system and to test the effect of each light, light with each light individually, access the results and make adjustments.

I use my LCD display and set it so it "blinks" overexposed highlights. From there, the only way is down. It's a good starting point and it's also a great way to make sure you've blown out a white background properly.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    Watch your whites, if you have a white on white or ribbed sweater you want to show some detail there. If these areas are blown you have no detail in there.

If using your viewfinder I would suggest two things. First make sure your monitor is balanced then take a shot with your camera with no adjustments to it. Drop that file into your computer and view it. Adjust the brightness/darkness of your viewfinder to match. At least these two items will now give your similar results.

The second item would be to buy a Hoodman to view your viewfinder with. They are rather expensive but you can see all the detail you need to see when viewing the viewfinder. just eyeballing it doesn't always see everything.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    Or you could just set your image review to show the "blinkies" for highlights. It has has never failed me.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    If it is blinking it is blown and no detail is there. That is ok if you correct and bring the exposure down.

But...........what if the background was white and dominated the scene however your subject was tanned or dark skinned and were wearing earth tone clothing. They were be very under exposed.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    In that case, I would simply add light to the subject. Not sure what the dilemma is..

If I had a predominantly white background in the studio, it was probably intended to be blown out anyway, which is what I alluded to earlier.

Embrace the blinkies ;)
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    Just watching out forloss of detail in the subject. We have two ideas going, sorry.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    No sweat. We're talking about the same thing; just different approaches.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2013
    My client was sitting in the makeup chair and I spotted the way she was lit by the two windows in the room - couldn't resist having a crack at snagging a few portraits while she was there, even though the background was messy and potentially a problem.

Pullback
    i-JXfHJmQ-L.jpg

I handed her a reflector to bounce some light back onto her face, moved myself slightly to the left, and fired off a few...

i-V8r3v8h-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2013
    Love the second one very nice!
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2013
    Thanks Andee! Obviously, this is not about lighting, but more about how framing/lens choice can change the "reality" of what's around an image. I got to thinking about it when a friend recently askedme about suitable backgrounds for portraits, and it occurred to me that while I do shoot on my plain backgrounds at home, on location I tend to just use what's available if at all possible. I actually find the little bit of "texture" from surroundings - as long as they don't compete for attention - gives a shot some extra depth and interest (to the point I try to make that happen even in my small space at home, although it's more difficult there).
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2013
    Very nice.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2013
    Trying out the new PLM

1.i-TRzCMmC-XL.jpg

2. i-g4L2pDv-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    I like the setup, but I am wishing that the background was a touch warmer. #2 looks a tad cool/drab for me. Im glad you posted this though Chuck cause I would love to try this setup. All I need now is the two strip boxes with grids
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2013
    I have to lessen the warmth or drop the saturation a tad when I photograph black skin for it to look realistic. Whenever I white bal it comes out way too warm. I have heard many comments from the black community that they would rather come to me than others because their skin looks real and not orange in my work.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    I have to lessen the warmth or drop the saturation a tad when I photograph black skin for it to look realistic. Whenever I white bal it comes out way too warm. I have heard many comments from the black community that they would rather come to me than others because their skin looks real and not orange in my work.

Oh im not talking about her skin. It looks great! I am talking about the background only. Just a tad warmth there would be awesome!