Options

Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• Options
    LGPhotoArtLGPhotoArt Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    I do like some aspects, like the Smart sizing of photos.

However, switching to this beta has deleted all the facebooks likes I had on the photos (it has zeroized the number of likes for each photo). Thank you very much, we work hard to get some love from our followers...You might want to make sure people know what to expect when they sign to try out this.

Also, I am using Explorer 9 and McAfee antivirus on Win Vista 32 bits, and each time I entered a gallery I would get a pop up at the bottom of the page. If I did not click "accept" I would only be able to see the first photo (for the others only the thumbnails, but if I clicked on any of them, the right section where the photo is displayed would stay empty). I could not find a setting that avoids that, it happened for each gallery I entered, even if I had already visited it before.

What is for me a big big show stopper, that made me opt out right away, is the header with the SmugPro logo.
    We pay to host our business, not to advertize yours and drive traffic to your homepage.
    The breadcrumbs are smaller than that logo and header of yours...not good at all.
    Pro accounts will have to have the option to turn off the Smugmug company header!! We will advertize your service, as we have always done, if you do things right, no need to get invasive.
    :thumb www.LGPhotoArt.com :thumb
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    LGPhotoArt, if you "unjoin" the preview, do your Facebook 'Likes' return?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    jhofker wrote: »
    LGPhotoArt, if you "unjoin" the preview, do your Facebook 'Likes' return?

No jhofker, all the facebook like counts are zeroized...and that pisses me off quite a bit.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    :-( Have you contacted SmugMug support about it? Might be worth a shot.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    jhofker wrote: »
    :-( Have you contacted SmugMug support about it? Might be worth a shot.
    I think this is the forum to report these problems with the new style, isn't it?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    LGPhotoArt wrote: »
    What is for me a big big show stopper, that made me opt out right away, is the header with the SmugPro logo.
    We pay to host our business, not to advertize yours and drive traffic to your homepage.
    The breadcrumbs are smaller than that logo and header of yours...not good at all.
    Pro accounts will have to have the option to turn off the Smugmug company header!! We will advertize your service, as we have always done, if you do things right, no need to get invasive.
    Hi, please re-read our CEO's posts at the very beginning of this thread. You are seeing an ALPHA version of this design and customizing (your branding) is something that we will have. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Hi, please re-read our CEO's posts at the very beginning of this thread. You are seeing an ALPHA version of this design and customizing (your branding) is something that we will have. Thanks.

Andy, I have read it but it does not say that the Smugmug header will be removed. I do trust you if you say it will be.
    P.S. Am I the only one that lost all facebook likes on the photos after trying the new style? Has this been already posted as a problem to your attention? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    I think this is the forum to report these problems with the new style, isn't it?

This a good place to bring it up, yes, but if you want it fixed, contacting support is really the best option. It's easy and free, so why not?
  • Options
    scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Hey LGPhotoArt, you shouldn't have lost any likes with the new design. Are you seeing this on all your galleries or one a few select ones? Would you mind sending me a link to one that you know lost likes on so I can look into it further? (PM is fine too if you don't want to post it here)

Thanks!
    Scott.
    Andy, I have read it but it does not say that the Smugmug header will be removed. I do trust you if you say it will be.
    P.S. Am I the only one that lost all facebook likes on the photos after trying the new style? Has this been already posted as a problem to your attention? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    how about concentrating more on stabilityheadscratch.gif
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    GargaGarga Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Oh. My. Good. God. - only just seen this.

Love it guys... LOVE IT!!

You got me all excited now.
  • Options
    rpavichrpavich Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    I just tried the new layout....I love it...clean sleek and loads very fast.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    The new layout looks great and I can't wait.

Hopefully someone at SM is still monitoring this thread and my comments don't fall into the abyss.....

There are 2 things I'd really like to see improved with the new design:
    1. Commenting: I send out a lot of links to my SM photos to photo friends, photo groups, etc, and one common theme I keep hearing is "commenting on your photos is such a pain". Most of these people have been using pBase (which I think is archaic and old looking) but it is pretty easy to comment on photos there. Going to SM or Facebook login is going to make it so that I get even *less* comments on my photos. There's gotta be some better way to avoid spam than requiring login's or that annoying verification text. I mean, my personal WordPress blog (and akismet) does a really good job of blocking all the spam comments!
    2. One thing that I really wish SM would improve upon is the community/commenting/sharing aspect of photography. I really dislike Flickr, but it's great for sharing your photos with other photographers and getting your name/photos out there. Without using flickr groups (ick!) I've managed to build quite a repertoire of photo friends and we share advice, tips, and places to shoot. Most of that is because of being able to subscribe to my users latest photos. That doesn't really work for SmugMug because people upload entire galleries but I'd still like a better way of being able to see my friends photos. Perhaps it exists and I just don't know it?
    -Leftquark
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    leftquark wrote: »
    I'd still like a better way of being able to see my friends photos. Perhaps it exists and I just don't know it?
    -Leftquark

You can subscribe to an RSS feed for the whole SM account or individual galleries... have you tried that?
  • Options
    Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Reading a 33 page thread is not in the cards for me right now.

I love this new style.

My only comment is that I have quite a few long comments underneath some of my photos. Poems etc... When I look at the photos in slideshow mode, the captions bleed into the photos.

Thanks.
  • Options
    pidgeonphotographypidgeonphotography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2011
    I Love it, I love it, I love it!
    Hello,

I just wanted to say that I'm tying out the new look and I really really really love it. When will this go live so my clients can see this? I really am digging the new look.
  • Options
    rekanixrekanix Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    I love it!
    I love it--when can I expect to see it in operation? This solves a big problem for me in IE, where my large picture that should be on the right of the thumbnails is populated underneath the thumbnails--this causes my images to be displayed in the correct format, and I'm excited to see it!
  • Options
    JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    New look
    I don't like the colors. I left the new gallery style and now cant get my old setting back. The style is fine but I like the gradient white and have a theme matching my Blog. Can I get it in White?
  • Options
    taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2011
    Loved it!
    I loved it, can't wait to see it live. when is the launch date?
  • Options
    stenpstenp Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Bad design
    I have been using this alpha version for a period now and I think the design is really bad.

"At SmugMug, it's all about the photos." But the new design adds a lot of graphical elements to the page that has nothing to do with the photos at all.
    The number of exposed thumbnails are fewer than in the old design. Why? The main photo is not bigger.
    I find the navigation very user unfriendly for the occasional visitor.
    I appreciate all efforts made to speed up everything.

So I leave the Sneak Peek alpha version until a new version is available.

Sten P
  • Options
    unshiftunshift Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2011
    I really like the new layout. It's way faster and much better looking, very much an improvement and definitely modernizes the look of my albums.

A few comments though:
    • I'd like to see buttons for previous/next photo. I use right/left arrow keys anyways but less tech savvy people could use something to click on (like when I share an album with my grandparents)
    • The "buy" button is a bit hideous and it's a bit out of alignment. Would be nice if it were the same color as the other buttons -- I realize you want to call attention to it, but it's an eyesore, plain and simple. Users will still be able to find it if's the same color and style as the others.

Similar updates to the homepage and gallery listing pages would be great too! Keep up the good work
  • Options
    gschlactgschlact Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    my quick 2cents
    I only just saw this thread and made it about 1/3 through the posts. No more time.

My feedback in random order:

1. Please continue to provide the user the ability to Style, with owner to set the default. Simetimes, it makes sense as a user to switch between styles within the same gallery depending on what they are doing.

2. Missing "next photo" buttons on my screen - (there are no left / right arrows on my screen in this new style and IE9(32bit) Compatibility Mode on Win 7 Pro (64bit) http://schlacter.smugmug.com/Sports/Hannah/2011-SHS-Varsity-Field-Hockey/18833519_MCGbvV#h=1548357181_mZbRDvQ-P-28

3. PLEASE put the whole bottom Row (EDIT, SHARE, LIKE, Img #, Arrows, DOwnload, Info) to be place above Photo.

4. Please put text on the Download and Info icon

5. Consider putting the EDIT button next to the GALLERY button on the very top row.

6. Expand Gallery description

7. Slideshow - enable the user to actually transition time for slide show, don't force into subjective slow, medium, fast.

8. photo-right-side-bump - I actually liked the old bump right to get mini menu for info, thumbs up/down etc.

9. Buy This Photo - please merge your tabs - often the tabs for example for Download do not get noticed by customers.

10. Displaying the thumbnail. Please make the highlighted Thumbnail of the image getting displayed more prevalent so it is easier to quickly see which thumbnail is showing.

Thanks for the continued improvements.

Guy
    schlacter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    lenkalandlenkaland Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2011
    very cool
    I enjoy the new gallery. As you add features, I wanted to let you know I use the "owner share" a lot.

I make slideshows to embed in my webpage. Love/need that feature- hope it sticks around. Thank you!
    Lenka
  • Options
    PeelerPeeler Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    I love the new Darkroom layout in the galleries! I hope this will eventually be an option as the default layout that customers will see. The big "Buy Prints & Gifts" tap is a HUGE plus for me. I can't wait to see the finished version. Keep up the great work guys!
  • Options
    taylowataylowa Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Like Look - Missing Options
    I don't see the "Thumbs Up/Down" option with the new look? Is this going to be an addition once it is live for our users?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    taylowa wrote: »
    I don't see the "Thumbs Up/Down" option with the new look? Is this going to be an addition once it is live for our users?
    They are not offering that any more as I read earlier in this thread. Kinda blows away an important feature.

A lot of peeps will really be pissed off when they see their homepage box missing.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    They are not offering that any more as I read earlier in this thread. Kinda blows away an important feature.

A lot of peeps will really be pissed off when they see their homepage box missing.

We never said the homepage box would go missing :D What we did say, is that we want to use other factors (FB comments, FB Likes, Twitter shares, [G+?], SmugMug comments etc to determine popularity. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2011
    We never said the homepage box would go missing :D What we did say, is that we want to use other factors (FB comments, FB Likes, Twitter shares, [G+?], SmugMug comments etc to determine popularity. Stay tuned.
    Then I'll never get a new "popular" photo. That screens out my whole family and about all my friends.
    Stupid idea that they have to log in somewhere to comment on a photo. Also most do not want to say
    anything in a comment about a photo just click thumbs up. Why destroy a great working feature.?

This log in for comment thing is absolute ridiculous, if they can't handle inappropriate comments turn "approve
    comment" on. Why mess with the masses when they have a solution.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    Then I'll never get a new "popular" photo. That screens out my whole family and about all my friends.
    Stupid idea that they have to log in somewhere to comment on a photo. Also most do not want to say
    anything in a comment about a photo just click thumbs up. Why destroy a great working feature.?

This log in for comment thing is absolute ridiculous, if they can't handle inappropriate comments turn "approve
    comment" on. Why mess with the masses when they have a solution.

I t hink you missed the part where I said "SmugMug Comments" as well.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2011
    I t hink you missed the part where I said "SmugMug Comments" as well.
    Like I said, no one wants to say anything just click thumbs up.