Options

Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    alacranera wrote: »
    Andy, what you don't get is that there is no behavior to revert to. The behavior of this sneak peek has not changed since it was released on June 1.

Untrue - we've reverted it back though, to the way it was when we first released the new gallery style for testing. Thanks for your passionate input!
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2011
    caroline wrote: »
    thumb.gifthumb

Caroline

Hi again, we have been reading and processing all this info and feedback you and everyone are giving us - as well as the feedback from our meeting in person with John Friend and other customizers. We are working on changes as we speak and as I've stated numerous times, we promise to post more info soon - and will give you all more updates. Thanks!
  • Options
    DJDigitalDaveDJDigitalDave Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    We haven't yet been told it's fixed. You're saying that because you've checked it out though? Just curious!
    Yes, every site on which I previously was able to view galleries in the new style no longer display as such. Back to that boring & un-controversial "old style" again! :D

- Dave
  • Options
    RutardRutard Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 15, 2011
    Facebook Credentials
    Any chance you will adding sharing through Facebook? It would be great to post a gallery, and then select which friends I would like to share it with.

Can't wait to see the new design!
  • Options
    Green_HornetGreen_Hornet Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    Feedback & thoughts
    Hi there,

just some feedback & random thoughts from me. Please excuse if my english isnt perfect (I'm writing from Germany).

First: You made a big step with this new design. CONGRATS! I really like it, and wanna use it ASAP. ylsuper.gif

BUT: Please make sure we get a new Slideshow aswell. HTML5/CSS/DHTML, whatever it takes. No flash!
    With smaller (more designy) buttons. And the option to use the keyboard arrow keys (left & right).

What I would change, you can see easily in the screenshot I made:

smimprove.th.jpg

And I wonder how the gallery overview (the folders) would look like. Maybe you can learn from Apple's MobileMe Gallery (more on that later), where when you hover over the folder, you scroll through all the images inside. Got me?

Anyway, you guys rock. Keep up the good work!

Now to the Apple topic. I'm looking at Smugmug, because Apple announced the iCloud. And that will probably be the end for Apple's MobileMe Gallery. An easy, good looking website I loved to use. I guess there will be over 100.000 Apple users looking for an alternative this fall. Be sure to get your new design up & running until then!
    If you are extra keen, you could offer a "MobileMe template" for switchers. Or maybe a script that eases the translation from one service to another (your service).

In case you dont know MM Gallery, I attached 3 pics below so you can get an idea of it.

Have a nice week,
    Jan / Germany

mm1i.th.jpg

mm2cf.th.jpg

mm3n.th.jpg
    View my photos at janriggert.smugmug.com
    Feel free to leave a comment...
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I agree. I like Smugmug, but I also pride myself by trying to make my SM site NOT look like a SM site as much as possible. I hope this continues...

If there is one thing I want out of the "upgrade," it is to rearrange, reposition, delete, or add back the major elements around a gallery page, to have true control over spacing and position of elements. It's the one thing that keeps me on the lookout for other sites.

The new gallery styles that are coming are sorely needed, like really really badly, but I hope they're not another set of heartbreakers like the current styles, where the choices aren't diverse enough and the customizations to get them where you want are difficult to code, not precise enough, and sometimes outright impossible (can't move caption above Facebook/Twitter buttons, can't move thumbnails to another side of photo...). I hope it's better than that.
    Ben wrote: »
    - Other authentication methods for comments? We don't want anonymous comments, but Facebook isn't the only one offering authentication services. No promises here, their APIs have to be robust, and they have to have enough customers to be worth it.

Wordpress just upgraded their comment system and now offers several authentication methods including Guest, Wordpress, Twitter, and Facebook identities in a clear, compact way. If you are already logged in under any of the services, it indicates to you that you are. If you did it like that I'd be happy (you can leave out Guest).

I would not be happy with Facebook as the only system. I do not like activity on various sites all echoing back through my Facebook page.
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Overall I like the new direction, though I agree that the caption should be higher and one thing that is sorely missed is a set of arrows to navigate from one photo to the next. These should be positioned in close proximity above or below the photo being displayed and can be the same arrow as used for paging through the gallery.
  • Options
    glacierworldglacierworld Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2011
    colourbox wrote: »
    If there is one thing I want out of the "upgrade," it is to rearrange, reposition, delete, or add back the major elements around a gallery page, to have true control over spacing and position of elements. It's the one thing that keeps me on the lookout for other sites.

The new gallery styles that are coming are sorely needed, like really really badly, but I hope they're not another set of heartbreakers like the current styles, where the choices aren't diverse enough and the customizations to get them where you want are difficult to code, not precise enough, and sometimes outright impossible (can't move caption above Facebook/Twitter buttons, can't move thumbnails to another side of photo...). I hope it's better than that.

I would not be happy with Facebook as the only system. I do not like activity on various sites all echoing back through my Facebook page.

I agree that the new design needs to have an option to have 100% control over design elements, size, etc... I would also not be happy if FB was the only system of logging in or whatever...

I REALLY HOPE this design can handle a "lightbox" collection style tool like the "events" tool you have not, but open it up to ANY user so they can collect their favorite images and share them via email or w/the photographer, pretty much the "events" tool but allow ANYONE to create and event.

Cheers,
    Craig
  • Options
    ShantymanShantyman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Hmm, are you working only on Smugmug style or maybe also on new, another styles?
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Will the existing themes be changed over to the new look as well? For example, we use "Sand" for our site. Will we be forced to go back to the SmugMug black style?
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Will the existing themes be changed over to the new look as well? For example, we use "Sand" for our site. Will we be forced to go back to the SmugMug black style?
    We will be making new themes to go along with the new style.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    We will be making new themes to go along with the new style.

That adds a whole additional element to fixing customizations, etc. Our blog matches our smugmug site... ugh...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    Not A BoothNot A Booth Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Where's the next page?
    I apologize if this has been covered in previous posts (I haven't trudged through all 13 pages of this thread).

I really like the general look of this. But it seems to me that there's a lot of dead space at the top which could be used functionally.

This is the old version:
    http://screencast.com/t/fx9Ikscz

And this is the new:
    http://screencast.com/t/sj9rUNC6r0aC

I've got 218 photos on 10 pages in this particular gallery, so getting through the thumbnails is really important. But at first glance, there's no more to this. It looks like 24 pictures, the end.

I'm sure larger monitors would resolve this, but 1366x768 is pretty middle of the road. I can easily get to the next page on a 1024x600 netbook with the old layout.

I hope this helps the upcoming improvements.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Hi again, we have been reading and processing all this info and feedback you and everyone are giving us - as well as the feedback from our meeting in person with John Friend and other customizers. We are working on changes as we speak and as I've stated numerous times, we promise to post more info soon - and will give you all more updates. Thanks!

Hi Andy,

Its 10 days since your request for patience so hopefully there has been some progress that you are now able to report on the major concerns raised in this thread and the one re customization.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    caroline wrote: »
    Hi Andy,

Its 10 days since your request for patience so hopefully there has been some progress that you are now able to report on the major concerns raised in this thread and the one re customization.

Caroline

Nothing new to report, but we will be updating, promise. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Nothing new to report, but we will be updating, promise. Stay tuned.

Will do Andy thumb.gif

The really frustrating thing about this situation is that despite all the moans and groans, thoughts of moving to another service etc there is NOTHING TO TOUCH SMUMUG in terms of facilities offered and value for money - lets hope you keep it that way :)

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited June 25, 2011
    A couple of questions, some related to the smugmug style preview, some focused on the site as a whole.

Has there been any thought to allowing the site owner to control the placement of the slideshow button? If I click "more" on the description to show more lines then the slideshow button moves off the bottom of the screen. Requiring scrolling to get to that button is a really bad thing. I want that button above the photos, preferably next to (and as obvious as) the Buy button. The current placement is bad, and the button is much too subtle.

Of course the same issue exists with the next page / next photo controls. I want control over the placement of those as well.

Have you considered replacing the full screen flash slideshow with an HTML5 show? I think that removing all flash from the site would be a good thing.

As long as you're upgrading the site - will the look & feel of the categories / subcategories pages change? While there may be some people who want to keep the very dated "thumb next to title" layout, it seems that many (most?) want the thumb above the title, and want the thumbs to stretch across the screen. It could be a simple checkbox choice - choose thumbs above titles or thumbs next to photos, and then a second choice to indicate that the thumbs should or shouldn't stretch across the screen. Pointing folks to #10 in the advanced customization FAQ + adding the code to stretch across the screen is just flat silly. Why should people need to use code to do something like this that should be built into the site?

--- Denise
  • Options
    ShantymanShantyman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Shantyman wrote: »
    Hmm, are you working only on Smugmug style or maybe also on new, another styles?

Any response? ;)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I am unable to find the command to copy an image in a gallery. Is that command still available and I just missed it? What I wanted to do was copy the image to another gallery, so first copy it then move it. I understand that I can collect it, but I did not want the watermark.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I am unable to find the command to copy an image in a gallery. Is that command still available and I just missed it? What I wanted to do was copy the image to another gallery, so first copy it then move it. I understand that I can collect it, but I did not want the watermark.
    Tools/Make a Copy.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Tools/Make a Copy.

Thanks John, but I think you mean Edit which in my browser, Firefox 5 on Mac, is under the image. I was so used to seeing it on the top I did not find the edit and like buttons until after I scrolled down based on your comment. basically having those items under the "fold" is a problem in my opinion; same as not having the caption visible above the fold.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Thanks John, but I think you mean Edit which in my browser, Firefox 5 on Mac, is under the image. I was so used to seeing it on the top I did not find the edit and like buttons until after I scrolled down based on your comment. basically having those items under the "fold" is a problem in my opinion; same as not having the caption visible above the fold.
    I didn't realize you were talking about the new design - sorry. My answer was for the old design - I should have realized what thread you posted in. It sounds like you have found another issue with the new design.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Cougar548Cougar548 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Has there been any mention of a rough timeline when the new look will be available? I'm thinking of redoing my site and am just wondering if I should just wait until the new site is available to take full advantage of the new features.
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011

Have you considered replacing the full screen flash slideshow with an HTML5 show? I think that removing all flash from the site would be a good thing.

--- Denise

Ditto. With the state of the art as it exists today, I would love to see my site be completely ipad/non-flash compatible.
  • Options
    paulgpaulg Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Is the new design still up and running?, been to the "goodies" page and selected join, but makes no difference to my site. Tried it a couple of weeks ago and it worked ok then.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2011
    paulg wrote: »
    Is the new design still up and running?, been to the "goodies" page and selected join, but makes no difference to my site. Tried it a couple of weeks ago and it worked ok then.
    Try again? It's working just fine here for me

http://paulgulliver.smugmug.com/Places/TV-and-Film-Locations/Places/14841431_VHhyW/1107254518_Gs8GV
  • Options
    paulgpaulg Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Yes, sorry, bit embarassing, tried it as soon as I posted the above and it worked, I don't know why it didn't work before unless it was reading the browser cache instead of downloading the pages.
  • Options
    marchymanmarchyman Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Am I blind? Probably, but the question is how do you rotate an image using the new look? I finally gave up looking and went back to the old look so I could rotate a few images uploaded directly from phone.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2011
    marchyman wrote: »
    Am I blind? Probably, but the question is how do you rotate an image using the new look? I finally gave up looking and went back to the old look so I could rotate a few images uploaded directly from phone.

Up top, Gallery>Batch>Rotate
  • Options
    Cougar548Cougar548 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Cougar548 wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of a rough timeline when the new look will be available? I'm thinking of redoing my site and am just wondering if I should just wait until the new site is available to take full advantage of the new features.

Anything?