Options

Photos Slow To Load When Viewing

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    In Windows, you'll go to the "Start" menu, click "run" and type "command" on the line. That will open a terminal window.

What happens if you try and load images from another site? SmugMug, other photo sharing site?

I checked out smug ... loaded perfectly. Tried Fred .. loaded perfectly...the scanning type of load as I had mentioned before except for one photos that loaded like example 2. Smug didn't load any differently then before.

I'll try doing the other later .. need to get supper ready :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    Cool. Thanks for doing that.
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I checked out smug ... loaded perfectly. Tried Fred .. loaded perfectly...the scanning type of load as I had mentioned before except for one photos that loaded like example 2. Smug didn't load any differently then before.

I'll try doing the other later .. need to get supper ready :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Trend is pretty good as far as virus scanners go. You might want to check and make sure you're not running more than one.

Also, when you say "through your phone" do you mean DSL? The 100ms latency isn't great but I've seen longer and it does affect performance.

If you can, try doing this: Open a terminal window and type "ping -t www.dgrin.com". Let it run for maybe 30 seconds to a minute then hit control C to cancel it. You'll see something that looks like this:
    insight:~ ianclements$ ping www.dgrin.com
    PING www.dgrin.com (208.79.45.83): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 208.79.45.83: icmp_seq=0 ttl=246 time=22.271 ms
    64 bytes from 208.79.45.83: icmp_seq=8 ttl=246 time=22.371 ms
    ^C
    --- www.dgrin.com ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 20.511/25.777/46.136/7.958 ms

What you care about most is the stats on the bottom. Hopefully, your connection isn't dropping packets--if you are, that will slow things down as well.

What do you see when you do this?

Ran this 3 times and typed it in 2 different ways. One with spaces ... kinda looked like you had a space or two in there and then without any. Same results. Info came up right away. Waited a min. nothing else surfaced. Forgot to do Control C to close it tho ... just closed out the box. Is that ok?

This is what came up ...

i-BMpGq7C-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Hi Mary, leave out the quotation marks.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011

Laughing.gif ... Ok :D
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011

Forgot to ask .. do I have spaces where it looks like there is one? Do I hit 'enter' after typing it in?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    spaces where there are spaces and hit enter when you're ready.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Did it this time and it worked :D

What does this mean?

i-bP95sFt-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    That's good. Network seems to be OK.

I'm going to investigate a couple things and will be back to you.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    When you've finished loading a page with images, do you see a small magnifying glass and the words "Full Size" at the bottom left corner of the images?

It would look something like this:

js-sample-L.jpg
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 3, 2011
    Mary,

Here's another thing that might provide a clue: go to the Firefox menu and open the Add-ons tab. Take a screenshot of it and post it. If all the add-ons don't fit in a single screen without scrolling, take several shots so we can see them all. Don't worry about overlap.

We're kind of scratching our heads about the problem you are having, but we appreciate your patience. Hopefully, we'll figure it out soon.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    When you've finished loading a page with images, do you see a small magnifying glass and the words "Full Size" at the bottom left corner of the images?

It would look something like this:

js-sample-L.jpg

No I don't see that. I do see 'Report'
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Mary,

Here's another thing that might provide a clue: go to the Firefox menu and open the Add-ons tab. Take a screenshot of it and post it. If all the add-ons don't fit in a single screen without scrolling, take several shots so we can see them all. Don't worry about overlap.

We're kind of scratching our heads about the problem you are having, but we appreciate your patience. Hopefully, we'll figure it out soon.

Thanks.

I don't have any add-ons. I clicked on it and it just took me to there page to add 'add ons' You don't want that page do you :D
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    No I don't see that. I do see 'Report'

If you don't see the magnifying glass and "Full Size", it means the images haven't been resized yet.

Can you check the status of JavaScript in the browser? To do that, follow the directions on Mozilla's web site. You can find those here.

Also, you might have said before but what kind of machine are you running Windows on again?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    If you don't see the magnifying glass and "Full Size", it means the images haven't been resized yet.

Can you check the status of JavaScript in the browser? To do that, follow the directions on Mozilla's web site. You can find those here.

Also, you might have said before but what kind of machine are you running Windows on again?

Checked the Java Script and that was fine.

I have a Dell XPS 8300, i7, 64 bit, 12.0 GB RAM, W7 Professional.

Edit .. I just found a photo that did show the magnifying glass .. I like that option :)
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    If JavaScript is enabled, can you uncheck the box (disabling it) and try dgrin again? Do you see any difference in performance?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    If JavaScript is enabled, can you uncheck the box (disabling it) and try dgrin again? Do you see any difference in performance?

Just tried that for you .. no difference other then it loads just a tad faster when displaying photos in the blurry kind of way.

Edit ..

One thing I'm noticing when on dgrin ... when ever I post a reply or go to a page it takes longer for the page to reload.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    I don't have any add-ons. I clicked on it and it just took me to there page to add 'add ons' You don't want that page do you :D
    On the add-ons page, there should be a sidebar on the left. Click on Plugins and also Extensions--we're interested in both.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    On the add-ons page, there should be a sidebar on the left. Click on Plugins and also Extensions--we're interested in both.

This is the whole page.

i-jgmPkCJ-L.jpg

Last one about Trend has me concerned ... Can anyone tell me what that means?

i-jX6PW84-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Can you open a terminal window again and type "ipconfig /flushdns". Leave the quotes off. Does that change the performance at all?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Trend installs a FF plugin to scan websites. Looks like the plugin doesn't work for FF 5 and FF disabled it. You can check with Trend Micro and see if they have an updated version of the plugin available.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Can you open a terminal window again and type "ipconfig /flushdns". Leave the quotes off. Does that change the performance at all?

I just did that .. made it worse rolleyes1.gifI know .. I shouldn't laugh, but it's better then crying :D
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Trend installs a FF plugin to scan websites. Looks like the plugin doesn't work for FF 5 and FF disabled it. You can check with Trend Micro and see if they have an updated version of the plugin available.

I will do that -- thanks :D
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    It's a long shot, but I would try disabling both the Yahoo and Trend Micro toolbars, then restart Firefox--you shouldn't need to reboot unless you get a message that tells you to. See if it makes a difference. If so, try re-enabling one of them then restarting FF so that you are running with one on and one off. That will show which was responsible. If having both of them disabled makes no difference, just turn them both back on.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    I just did that .. made it worse rolleyes1.gifI know .. I shouldn't laugh, but it's better then crying :D

That's actually OK. It's a sign that your DNS service is slow. DNS is how you match names to IP addresses. When you type "www.dgrin.com", DNS is used to turn that into "208.79.45.83". The DNS Cache stores the previously used stuff locally so you don't have to go out to the network every time to look that up--DNS fetches it from the local cache--there are some instances where the address is looked up every time because it can change and to cache it might result in failure.

If you're feeling brave, you can try changing the settings. You can find more information here on how to do that.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Howdy Richard and ian408 --

Sorry I've not gotten back to this thread sooner. My mom was taken to the ER this morning. Dislocated her shoulder. Just got home. I'll try these things tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

Just two questions ... Will disabling my Trend turn it off? I know stupid question, but need to ask :D

And ... What happens when I change the DNS settings?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Disabling Trend does turn it off. Once you've completed the task, enable it again.

Changing DNS settings will change where your computer gets address information from . The hope is that by doing these two things, we can figure out what's causing your slow performance.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    Just wanted to let you all know again .. I've not forgotten all I'm going to try to fix this problem. Still tied up with my Mom. Give me a day or two please .. Thanks a bunch :D
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Hi :D

I disabled Yahoo and Trend each separately and the results were .. Yahoo had some improvement, but disabling the Trend didn't. That surprised me as I thought Trend might be the issue.

So I moved onto the DNS and got to this box and this is what it looked like. I didn't know if I was suppose to type in the numbers for dgrin or not. I'll wait to hear what you ask me to do :D

i-BwwSSqq-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    I disabled Yahoo and Trend each separately and the results were .. Yahoo had some improvement, but disabling the Trend didn't. That surprised me as I thought Trend might be the issue.

So I moved onto the DNS and got to this box and this is what it looked like. I didn't know if I was suppose to type in the numbers for dgrin or not. I'll wait to hear what you ask me to do :D
    Mary,
    You should copy those numbers exactly as you see them into the network configuration panel you have open. You'll probably need to click the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses:" first. Then follow the rest of the instructions. When you are done, your machine will be configured to use Open DNS rather than whatever DNS server your ISP is using.

This may or may not improve performance. It just depends on whether Open DNS provided quicker response to you. You should try running with it for a while before deciding. You will be clearing all of your caches, which will be refreshed over time.

If you don't see any improvement (or if it is even worse), you could follow the same procedure and try Google's DNS server. The addresses to use are:
    Preferred: 8.8.8.8
    Alternate: 8.8.4.4

Again, might help, might not. If things do not improve (or get worse), you can go back to your network configuration and reset the radio button to obtain the DNS address automatically.

Good luck and let us know what you find.