Options

Nikon D800 36mp $4,000 rumor

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Matt I can follow your reasoning, and if one does blow-up pictures (large prints) then indeed you might need more pixels. I have a D700 since they came out, and men what a camera that has been clap.gif It has over 300.000 pictures and is still working great. 12Mpx, not all that much but what a quality it had (s). Two years ago I did buy the D3S and D3X. The D3S is my outdoor camera, fast, and great to work with under severe light constraints. The D3X is only used in the studio, reason is more pixels and more noise. However since I control the light in the studio the D3X is great. ( Photography is a side job).

Do you think that the D800 will be a substitute for the D3X, or will the D3X be replaced with the D4X ? As for the D700, I doubt very much if the D700-S will be produced.

Now back to SRAW; (Canon proprietary)

SRAW is a great file format if you want to safe memory space or if you are sure that you will not need a print bigger then 6by4.
    The smaller sRAW files writes quicker to the memory card, so that is advantage. Typically SRAW is 1/4 of RAW file.

It does pixel binning of 4 neighboring pixels in the Bayern pattern (filter on top of the CCD); by converting G B, R G, into a single pixel with RGB values. The effect is similar to a Foveon sensor (3 layers). There is no need for interpolation for the missing color values, the resultant image is quite sharp.

I can't see why NIKON would apply this considering that there is an ongoing effort to standardize the RAW format. Secondly, why should they provide a 36Mpx camera with SRAW that will limit the seize of the prints, when especially the aim of a 36Mpx is to be able to extend the enlargement of pictures.

If the only reason is to reduce the file seize, then it is not worth it. Memory cards and computers are fast and cheap compared to the price of a camera (4000 $).

Anyhow that is how this old stubern man sees it.rolleyes1.gif
    I totally agree that the D700 has one of the best sensors ever made, and I really wish Nikon would just make it some sort of permanent standard in their system. Personally, I keep holding out for a D700s. I mean hey, they made the D70s and D2Hs quite a while after their lineup had progressed passed those models, right? Or am I mistaken. Either way, I hope they just keep making the D700 till kingdom come.

The whole reason I'd like to see the D800 have a GOOD sRAW mode would be because, in my opinion at least, it would be capable of beating the D700 and act as it's replacement.

Right now, that's what every D700 user is whining about- The D4 is out of their price range, and they're afraid that the D800's 36 megapixels will ruin their fun. But a good quality sRAW mode would give them everything they love about the D700- tiny filesizes, and great noise performance at high ISO's. Sure, it might not be as truly amazing as if they'd slap a D4 sensor in a D700 replacement, but at least it would still be a significant improvement over the D700, AN it would effectively double as two cameras.

Of course, this is pure speculation and wishing, on my part!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    I totally agree that the D700 has one of the best sensors ever made, and I really wish Nikon would just make it some sort of permanent standard in their system. Personally, I keep holding out for a D700s. I mean hey, they made the D70s and D2Hs quite a while after their lineup had progressed passed those models, right? Or am I mistaken. Either way, I hope they just keep making the D700 till kingdom come.

The whole reason I'd like to see the D800 have a GOOD sRAW mode would be because, in my opinion at least, it would be capable of beating the D700 and act as it's replacement.

Right now, that's what every D700 user is whining about- The D4 is out of their price range, and they're afraid that the D800's 36 megapixels will ruin their fun. But a good quality sRAW mode would give them everything they love about the D700- tiny filesizes, and great noise performance at high ISO's. Sure, it might not be as truly amazing as if they'd slap a D4 sensor in a D700 replacement, but at least it would still be a significant improvement over the D700, AN it would effectively double as two cameras.

Of course, this is pure speculation and wishing, on my part!
    =Matt=

Maybe I'm the rare breed but the rumored D800 is exactly what I want, I rarely use the speed of my D700 and would love to have 36 MP for landscapes, macros, and portraits.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    SRAW is a software artifact, is it not? So the reverse engineering line is broken, the disconnect between hardware specs and IQ is absolute, isn't it? I don't think you can talk about both in one breath.ne_nau.gif

This thread is rapidly shooting up into the stratosphere of hardware idealism, mind games where reality becomes a hypothetical construct of the hardware specs. On the other hand, I think by the time you get to the real reality - when you are holding a print in your hand - those specs have receded a long way from dominant significance. In the real world, an issue like resolution, for example, depends on stuff like the resolution of the print process, the material the image is printed on (digital display is a whopping 72ppi), the lighting the image is viewed in, the viewing distance, the vision acuity of the viewer, the subject matter of the image, and so on.

But most importantly the final IQ - and impact - of an image is most dependent on the photographer. Now take, for example, the brand new uber-specs of the D4 and the 1DX, specifically fps, and let's imagine an indoor sports scenario. While all the guys who sit in front of their computers are drooling over the uber-speed specs, inter alia, of these uber-bodies on the Nikon and Canon advertising web pages, those same specs will avail our sports photographer in the auditorium naught unless this guy has taken care of lighting balance, exposure, depth of field, unless they have kept the focus point on the target throughout, unless they have previsualised the framing, and unless they are lucky with wild cards like serendipitous flares and turf throw-ups and sweat throw-offs and facial expressions and eyes showing, etc, etc! And we haven't yet even considered the guy's post-processing style!

Come on, you hardware idealist philosophers, no hardware is ultimately going to overpower the fallibility, or skill, or luck, of the animal using it, or the one viewing it!mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Maybe I'm the rare breed but the rumored D800 is exactly what I want, I rarely use the speed of my D700 and would love to have 36 MP for landscapes, macros, and portraits.

No worries! See that 'jack' in your Avatar hand, hand it over to LEAF or any number of Digital backed MF cameras and choose your MPx!
    tom wise
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    No worries! See that 'jack' in your Avatar hand, hand it over to LEAF or any number of Digital backed MF cameras and choose your MPx!

I forgot I still even had that avatar, changed it on ADV over a year ago. And Leaf wants far too many of them for one of their MF backs :cry
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    SRAW is a software artifact, is it not? So the reverse engineering line is broken, the disconnect between hardware specs and IQ is absolute, isn't it? I don't think you can talk about both in one breath.ne_nau.gif

This thread is rapidly shooting up into the stratosphere of hardware idealism, mind games where reality becomes a hypothetical construct of the hardware specs. On the other hand, I think by the time you get to the real reality - when you are holding a print in your hand - those specs have receded a long way from dominant significance. In the real world, an issue like resolution, for example, depends on stuff like the resolution of the print process, the material the image is printed on (digital display is a whopping 72ppi), the lighting the image is viewed in, the viewing distance, the vision acuity of the viewer, the subject matter of the image, and so on.

But most importantly the final IQ - and impact - of an image is most dependent on the photographer. Now take, for example, the brand new uber-specs of the D4 and the 1DX, specifically fps, and let's imagine an indoor sports scenario. While all the guys who sit in front of their computers are drooling over the uber-speed specs, inter alia, of these uber-bodies on the Nikon and Canon advertising web pages, those same specs will avail our sports photographer in the auditorium naught unless this guy has taken care of lighting balance, exposure, depth of field, unless they have kept the focus point on the target throughout, unless they have previsualised the framing, and unless they are lucky with wild cards like serendipitous flares and turf throw-ups and sweat throw-offs and facial expressions and eyes showing, etc, etc! And we haven't yet even considered the guy's post-processing style!

Come on, you hardware idealist philosophers, no hardware is ultimately going to overpower the fallibility, or skill, or luck, of the animal using it, or the one viewing it!mwink.gif

Neil

I love your writing iloveyou.gif Talking about philosophers mwink.gif
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »

Neil

Certainly, but hard drives still cost money, and processing an image file 3x larger still takes time.

Bottom line- Like I said, I wish that digital could be more like film, where you can just stick with the old classics in image "recording" as long as you want, without missing out on the latest in camera functionality / performance. Simply put- I wish Nikon would keep on making their 12 MP FX sensor till kingdom come. For the same reason I wish Nikon would keep making a ~6 megapixel DX sensor till kingdom come.

It's just a wish, nothing wrong with that. It is based on a very practical need, to minimize the amount of processing equipment I need to buy throughout the years. I've always said- I'm a camera geek, not a computer geek.

I'm sure the D800 will be awesome for those who need the added resolution, but I'm still holding out for a D700s. Or like I said, if the D800 has an sRAW mode that I could get on board with. We can debate the merits / disadvantages of sRAW, and general IQ / engineering all day long, but I know what I need / want in the real world... And it'd be awesome to be able to upgrade my camera's functions without having to take such a huge a hit in the post-production department

=Matt=
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    I'm sure the D800 will be awesome for those who need the added resolution, but I'm still holding out for a D700s. Or like I said, if the D800 has an sRAW mode that I could get on board with. We can debate the merits / disadvantages of sRAW, and general IQ / engineering all day long, but I know what I need / want in the real world... And it'd be awesome to be able to upgrade my camera's functions without having to take such a huge a hit in the post-production department

=Matt=

Couldn't you just shoot in DX mode and get similar benefits?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Couldn't you just shoot in DX mode and get similar benefits?

That's probably what I'd end up doing, although half the point of FX is the focal ranges and depth of field. Again, it'd be fine, but still a compromise compared to a simple lower res sensor, or an sRAW mode. Actually on second thought, I'd be fine with that. DX gives me the advantage of having my AF points spread out WAY more, extra reach with an 85 prime when needed, and the use of much lighter and smaller 2.8 zooms such as the Sigma 50-150 2.8. I change my mind, bring on the D800 with or without sRAW mode. :-P

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    I change my mind, bring on the D800 with or without sRAW mode. :-P

=Matt=

DAMN!!! I win! Maybe I won't buy a D4 after all. February's not too long to wait for the announcement. Maybe it's all BS anyway.

Still can't believe I may have influenced Matthew's opinion . . . mwink.gif
    John :
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    this one time, I was having fun taking photos, and I TOTALLY forgot how many megapixels my camera had.

TRUE STORY!!
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    this one time, I was having fun taking photos, and I TOTALLY forgot how many megapixels my camera had.

TRUE STORY!!

This thread surely proves your point. 6MP.
    John :
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    TRUE STORY!!!

One time, I had this image in a gallery exhibition once as a 16x20", and somebody asked me if I used a 4x5 view camera to make it. ...I shot it with a 3 megapixel camera.

14084452_ydtNp-L-7.jpg
  • Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    lippyjrlippyjr Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2012
    Hey lets look at the things real time most of my sales have been on line to be used on line. If you have to downsize the image right of the bat your losing image quality so why the big fuss over big iamge sizes unless your going for a fine art print.
    Hard copy days are gone as well as the print media, Dont get me wrong a good sharp image is my standard Iam old school. In order to survive you have to pretty much shoot medium size files, I shoot all raw but do I need any thing over 12MP to survive.
    I can produce a good quality print that the meets the public can afford at this level. If conditions are right I drag out the 4x5 and capture it on film that cant be beat by any means.
    Ask your freinds to look at your work on their computer verses your media not every one goes through the effort to buy a high end monitior to work on.
    Dont laugh but today most folks TV has a better image than their computer, dont get me wrong Id replace my large format film gear any day when the industry standards come back up.
    since the concept of digital photography the stanards have gone down, everyone with a cell phone has a camera and whats being sold today is trash. Its all about just how fast you can get on line.
    We have to stick to or standards and pricing there is a market out there but to go out and spend high dollars for an increase in Mega pixels is not worth it right now.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited January 13, 2012
    lippyjr wrote: »
    ... If conditions are right I drag out the 4x5 and capture it on film that cant be beat by any means. ...

For a single, instantaneous exposure, that is still fairly correct. (I also own and occasionally shoot with a 4" x 5" monorail view camera.)

For really incredible amounts of fine detail in landscapes and still-life images a digitally stitched panorama is just incredible, and almost any modern dSLR (and occasionally an advanced digicam) is capable of serving as the image capture device. Our own "Baldy" proved that several times. Here are a couple of links:

A single vertical strip from the total stitched set:
    http://cmac.smugmug.com/photos/472303454_ojUut-O.jpg

Click on the "Full Size" link in this post if you wish to see a larger image, but nowhere near the actual print (which is incredibly large).
    http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=990541&postcount=274
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lippyjrlippyjr Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2012
    Ziggy53 have to agree and like the liknks.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I stay with the 700 for years regardless....for me there's nothing better...
    Still it's cool to hear all the rumors :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    D700 is a plenty good camera but I'm antsy to see what Nikon will introduce next!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Me too, & I'm an innocent bystander!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    a point and shoot D700x? heehee
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I think that we determined there is a battery issue with those cameras and Japanese battery safety:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=209433

That would make sense

So the battery issue only affects Japan's domestic market?
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    ... So the battery issue only affects Japan's domestic market?

Unless you see an actual Nikon announcement to the contrary (not just on a rumor site.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    As I've read on Thom Hogan's site a few times, new regulations in Japan's battery rules say that they cannot make/sell/etc batteries with exposed terminals, and this is one (maybe the only) reason that the D7000 and D4 have totally new batteries from their predecessors. From what I understood, this means they can't make the products at all, even to sell in the US. Hogan speculates on his front page today that he won't be surprised to see D300s and D700 replacements announced at next week's big trade show in Japan.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    I am excited for this if it happens. I want either one of these cameras depending on what they offer. A 700s would be fine with me.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012