Options

Nikon D800 36mp $4,000 rumor

12346»

Comments

• Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Well this looks like it finally arrived mwink.gif And from the text it might even be cheaper that originally thought. Dont know how they do it..but I will be happy if so. thumb.gif
    What time is it in Japan anyway..that show should be open by now. :D
    Gary
  • Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    the leaked press release
    Sao Paulo, February 6, 2012

Nikon introduces its long-awaited release, the HD-SLR D800, which offers resolution never seen before, amazing picture quality and valuable video resources, still optimized for professional multimedia photographers and videographers. With unparalleled balance between precision and functionality, the Nikon D800 brings innovations such as the CMOS sensor 36.3 megapixel FX-format, 91,000 pixel RGB sensor, advanced Scene Recognition System and many other new features.

Exceptional Image Quality

The new 36.3 megapixel CMOS sensor (7360 x 4912 resolution) and FX format (35.9 x 24mm) is the largest in terms of resolution so far developed by Nikon, and come meet nikonzeiros numerous requests from around the world. It is ideal for situations where you can not compromise the fidelity, such as weddings, photo studio and record landscapes. A resolution of this magnitude gives the photographer the ability to portray even the smallest details with stunning clarity. Every aspect of the sensor of this model was designed to ensure clear images in low light, so it has enhanced features like OLPF converter and a 14 bit A / D to minimize the noise around the picture.

The D800 lives up to Nikon’s reputation of being the sovereign ability to capture in low light thanks to the standard range of ISO 100-6400, expandable to 50 (Lo-1) and 25600 (Hi-2), which helps create gradient amazing colors when shooting JPEG or RAW.

All these image data are directed to a channel of 16 bits for maximum performance. Photographers can also take advantage of the lenses in FX format lenses for more options and increased focal range (1.5X), while still maintaining the clarity and detail in high resolution of 15.3 megapixels (4800×3200).

The D800 has an advanced Scene Recognition System with its array of colors (3D Color Matrix Meter III), which provides precise measurement in the most challenging lighting conditions. At the heart of this system is the innovative RGB sensor that analyzes each scene meticulously, recognizes factors such as light and bright and then compares all the data using the unique database of 30,000 images from Nikon. This new sensor still has the ability to detect faces with high accuracy even when shooting through viewfinder. The Color Matrix Meter also prioritizes the faces detected, allowing the right exposure even when the subject is backlit.

Novelty is also the exclusive image processing engine Nikon’s EXPEED 3, which controls the entire system and is the catalyst behind the responsiveness of the camera’s auto focus and performance. The new Nikon image processing engine is capable of processing huge amounts of data, with perfect color and tone perfect. 3 The EXPEED also contributes to energy efficiency, allowing the user to use the camera for longer.

Featured in the new and improved white balance system of this model that more accurately recognizes both the sources of natural light and artificial ones, and gives the user the option to retain the warmth of ambient lighting.

Users can also capture a greater dynamic range with the HDR function and enjoy the benefits of Active D-Lighting for balanced exposures even in backlit scenes. In addition, the camera offers a dedicated button for quick access to Nikon’s Picture Controls to adjust the parameters of photo and video in real time, such as color, sharpness and saturation.

True Cinema Experience

The Nikon D800 is a compact and lightweight which is ideal for the production environment. Its features are very practical and functional usable by both filmmakers in the field and in the studio or filmmakers. Filmmakers have the option of multiple resolutions and frame ranges, including Full HD 1080 and HD 720 30/24p to 60p. By using the method of data compression B-Frame, the user can record video in H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC up to 29:59 minutes per clip. The optimized CMOS sensor reads the image data on rates incredibly quick results almost instantly.

The D800 also allows videographers to keep the resolution high definition (1080p) regardless of the selected scene mode. Users can also compose and easily check critical focus for HD LCD monitor 3.2 “and 921 000 pixels with reinforced fabric, automatic control of brightness and wide viewing Anglo.

For professionals, it is important to have a camera that has digital recorders and external monitors. With the D800 is possible to transmit an uncompressed HD signal directly off the camera for an HDMI output (8 bit, 4:2:2). This signal can be transmitted to a display, digital recording device or routed through a monitor, eliminating the need for multiple connections. The image can also be viewed simultaneously on the LCD screen and an external display screen while excluding the state data of the camera for streaming media.

The D800 also includes features to enhance the audio quality, as a specific output for headphones used to monitor the audio levels during recording, which can be adjusted within 30 steps. Have the onboard microphone can be adjusted with up to 20 steps of sensitivity for the faithful reproduction of sound. To complete the recording can be configured to be activated via the shutter button.

Shutter speed and performance with amazing accuracy

The autofocus system Advanced Multi-Cam 3500 AF is the next generation of the proven 51-point AF system Nikon. The fully customizable system offers users the ability to capture fast moving subjects in focus and accurately track, or select a single AF point with absolute precision in detail. The focus system uses 15 sensors of the type AF Crusaders for accuracy and the system also emphasizes human faces even when the viewfinder is used. The D800 also employs 9 cross-type sensors fully functional when used with compatible NIKKOR lenses and teleconverters aperture f / 8 or smaller.

For maximum versatility in different situations, users can also select multiple AF modes, including normal, expanded area and tracking of faces and objects / people, even the optical viewfinder.

Ready to shoot in less than 0012 seconds, the Nikon D800 can capture files in FX mode and resolution up to 4 fps, or up to 6 fps with DX mode with the optional battery pack MB-D12 battery and compatible. To further improve the speed of the camera and the overall workflow, the D800 uses the new standard USB 3.0 for fast transfer.

Format and operability

The structure of the Nikon D800 is designed magnesium alloy for maximum durability and reliability. The camera body is closed and sealed with gaskets to resist dust, moisture and also to electromagnetic interference. You can easily picture of the composition through the viewfinder of course, which offers 100% coverage of the scene.

The shutter was tested to withstand 200,000 cycles, ensuring maximum durability, while the sensor cleaning is made by the vibration of OLPF. The self-diagnostic shutter unit also includes a mirror balancer to minimize the residual impact of the “bounce”, improving the AF and zoom viewing time. Furthermore, the display is coated with a new finish protection thermal which serves to resist to overheating during prolonged use. For storage, the D800 has dual card slot for CF and SD cards, offering the user the possibility of recording up when a card is full, recording RAW / JPEG, separately, and the added option of recording still pictures to and video card to another. For recording and transfers at high speed, data can be recorded on the latest UDMA-7 and the cards SDXC/UHS-1.

The D800 also features built-in flash, and is compatible with the acclaimed Creative Lighting System Nikon, including the Command Mode for embedded control Speedlights wirelessly.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/06/nikon-d800-press-release.aspx/#ixzz1lekUAt6V
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    Well this looks like it finally arrived mwink.gif And from the text it might even be cheaper that originally thought. Dont know how they do it..but I will be happy if so. thumb.gif
    What time is it in Japan anyway..that show should be open by now. :D
    Gary

I'm still hoping the D400 is still on the way
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Did I miss something?
    *goes back shooting with D7oo*
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    What to do, what to do? D7000 = $1200. D800 = $3000. What to do. ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    I'm still hoping the D400 is still on the way
    15524779-Ti.gif
    John :
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    I'm not in the Nikon ecosystem, but as a wedding photographer, if I was, there is no way I would be replacing a D700 with this. I think this is a huge mistake and leaves the course clear for Canon.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    I'm not in the Nikon ecosystem, but as a wedding photographer, if I was, there is no way I would be replacing a D700 with this. I think this is a huge mistake and leaves the course clear for Canon.

I don't know that I think it's a mistake at all. I think portrait, landscape, and architectural photographers are going to like it. 6 fps in DX mode makes it a decent (certainly not great) sports camera, even on crappily lit high-school fields at ISO 6400. I like that they gave us CF and SD cards, not that stupid thing in the D4.

Too bad about the battery and the fact that the grip you have for your D700 won't work on the D800.

I was thinking to replace my D300 (backup and sports body) but think I'll wait for the D400 or, if I get impatient, just pull the triggr on a D7000.

I do agree with you, Stuart, that the D700 is the best camera I've ever owned.
    John :
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    I don't know that I think it's a mistake at all. I think portrait, landscape, and architectural photographers are going to like it. 6 fps in DX mode makes it a decent (certainly not great) sports camera, even on crappily lit high-school fields at ISO 6400. I like that they gave us CF and SD cards, not that stupid thing in the D4.

Too bad about the battery and the fact that the grip you have for your D700 won't work on the D800.

I was thinking to replace my D300 (backup and sports body) but think I'll wait for the D400 or, if I get impatient, just pull the triggr on a D7000.

I do agree with you, Stuart, that the D700 is the best camera I've ever owned.

For portrait shooters, I think only a very select few would need 36MP, for the rest the extra file size would be a disadvantage. I can see it for professional landscape and architecture photography, but surely this is a very small section of the market. On the other hand, the wedding photography market is much bigger.

Wedding photographers with a D700 will probably just keep what they have, and new people will probably buy the 5DX assuming it is around 18-22MP as rumoured.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    For portrait shooters, I think only a very select few would need 36MP, for the rest the extra file size would be a disadvantage. I can see it for professional landscape and architecture photography, but surely this is a very small section of the market. On the other hand, the wedding photography market is much bigger.

Wedding photographers with a D700 will probably just keep what they have, and new people will probably buy the 5DX assuming it is around 18-22MP as rumoured.

Not only will the 5D mk3 have "just" 22 megapixels, but it will also have an mRAW mode somewhere around 11-12 megapixels, which is even more useful for the run-and-gun types of wedding etc. photojournalists.

If Canon can suck it up and put the new flagship AF into the camera at $2700, they'll have a HUGE "win" over Nikon, at least for this one generation. (Only problem being, my D700 will probably still do just as good, or better than, a 5D mk3 in mRAW mode! Party like it's 2008, Canon!)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    In my experience the resolution on any of my cameras--especially my 5DII which has the highest pixel count--is not limited by the number of pixels, but the precision of focus. Of course, I get the best results with my prime lenses that are tuned for the camera, but even then I can zoom in during the post and see that pixel resolution is not the limiting factor. I don't principally do landscape (though I do it for personal enjoyment) and never do architecture, but it is hard for me to understand why this amount of pixels would be helpful in any way. MF I can understand, as the overall image is larger; but more pixel density? I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    In my experience the resolution on any of my cameras--especially my 5DII which has the highest pixel count--is not limited by the number of pixels, but the precision of focus. Of course, I get the best results with my prime lenses that are tuned for the camera, but even then I can zoom in during the post and see that pixel resolution is not the limiting factor. I don't principally do landscape (though I do it for personal enjoyment) and never do architecture, but it is hard for me to understand why this amount of pixels would be helpful in any way. MF I can understand, as the overall image is larger; but more pixel density? I just don't get it.

That's why there are new $2300 lenses for you to buy, (from the likes of Canon, at the moment, but you get what I mean) ...with which to resolve all those megapixels!

=Matt=
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    one interesting thing .. you can shoot in crop mode and still have 15M pixels. This completely eliminates the DX reach advantage.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    one interesting thing .. you can shoot in crop mode and still have 15M pixels. This completely eliminates the DX reach advantage.

Sort of. But don't forget, we're due for the next generation of DX crops, too. Sony has a 24 megapixel sensor already in the market, and word on the street is that if Nikon decides to make a semi-pro D400, it'll have that sensor. So, the only reason the D800 has an advantage now is because of the generation gap. Practically speaking, DX sensors will always have better "reach".

Although honestly, with the D800 at 16 megapixels DX, that's really all I'd ever need Laughing.gif!

=Matt=
  • Options
    DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    I'm still holding out for the D300 replacement assuming it gets released this year. My concern is that it's been in the rumor mill since about 2008 and I'm starting to wonder if the D7000 is in fact that replacement. if the D300 was 16mp I'd jump all over it, I want more than 12 but less than the behemoth 36 which is right were that replacement should fall.
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    That's why there are new $2300 lenses for you to buy, (from the likes of Canon, at the moment, but you get what I mean) ...with which to resolve all those megapixels!

=Matt=

Perhaps, but it still seems like a bit of a gimmick. About the only time I can think that such pixel resolution coupled to optical resolution would be really helpful is for shots that are blown way up and viewed at close range.

Still, I suppose one could crop much more tightly and not have the shot looked over-cropped...I guess that's a legitimate reason.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    If Canon can suck it up and put the new flagship AF into the camera at $2700, they'll have a HUGE "win" over Nikon, at least for this one generation.

That would probably destroy the 1D X. They'd have to keep a reason to go for the 1D X. Would that be fps? But if the 5D3 is 22mp and 61pt AF, it HAS to be 8-10fps. If it's not, that negates the value of the 22mp and 61pt AF.

I'm still hoping for the old 45pt AF - I think the 7D AF is more likely.
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Having a 16mp "crop" mode for more reach is something else.

Wasn't too long ago that the 1dsII was the king of the hill, replaces film, uber landscape camera with 16mp. And it didn't come with a clean iso1600.

Good times to be in photography these are.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    I sure am glad I decided not to wait for the D800 and bought the D700 1 year ago.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    That would probably destroy the 1D X. They'd have to keep a reason to go for the 1D X. Would that be fps? But if the 5D3 is 22mp and 61pt AF, it HAS to be 8-10fps. If it's not, that negates the value of the 22mp and 61pt AF.

I'm still hoping for the old 45pt AF - I think the 7D AF is more likely.

Dude! Hush! Stop saying / thinking that, so Canon won't be too chicken to just make the dang camera!

Okay, let me clarify: I understand that putting ALL those specs into the same camera would probably harm 1DX sales too much. But my original point, the one you quoted, was specifically about the 61-point AF.

That is what I want Canon users to SHUT UP about, get over the "caste system" style brainwashing that Canon has fed you for so many years, and just let your voice be heard. DEMAND the best damn camera that ~$2,700 can buy.

Nikon is on their SECOND generation of "affordable full-frame DSLR's with flagship AF". The D800 is as much as $1,000 CHEAPER than rumors put it at. ($4K) This will be Canon's third generation, and they're still using an AF system reminiscent of the 20D / 30D. Honestly, if Canon does stick with a crappy AF system stuck between the mk2 and the 7D, I'm going to be truly disappointed.

I think the only spec that Canon can AFFORD to compromise on is the FPS. Based on the Nikon D800's ~4 FPS, I think Canon can play it safe and give the 5D mk3 "just" 5 FPS. But honestly, other than that, Canon needs to do something big with the 5D mk3, and it can't just be about video.

(/end rant ;-)
    =Matt=
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    wow, looking back at this thread, I was right on the money when I said the D800 will have the best sensor in the world. I own one now and I absolutely love it. What a fantastic camera, such a pleasure to use. I'm glad I waited and didn't get the D700 8 months ago, I would have real camera envy if I did.
    mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2012
    wow, looking back at this thread, I was right on the money when I said the D800 will have the best sensor in the world. I own one now and I absolutely love it. What a fantastic camera, such a pleasure to use. I'm glad I waited and didn't get the D700 8 months ago, I would have real camera envy if I did.
    mwink.gif

...I nailed the 5D mk3 almost perfectly, too! Except for the price...