Options

Feedback and comments

124»

Comments

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Once again I left comments for everyone, and I want to thank all of those that left comments for me. Sometimes it stings a bit when someone doesn't like your shot, but you can't please everyone, every time.

You don't have to be a pro to leave a comment, everyone that looks at a photo has an opinion on it. Some opinions are worth more than others, but it's nice to hear them all.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Jeffro - I loved your entry. It got my vote, even though I said it would have been better with a person in the cell. I still liked the cake even without the icing. Yes, it was pretty gray and did lack contrast, but that was part of what I liked about it.

DM - I have a toilet that needs fixed since you're a whiz at mechanics now (jk)! I don't quite have the guts to try it. It sounds like a jet taking off. Anyway, yes, we are all different here and the variety is great! I just have to practice interacting with people without sounding like I'm quoting from a book. I used to have a way with words, maybe I can again one day. I guess I can start here. I'm blunt because I spend a lot of time talking to lawyers and time is money, so I get to the point immediately, state the facts and move on. No time for "isn't it a nice day?" When someone does ask me that once in a while, I honestly don't know how to respond. I have what I call a 'train brain" and it goes fast in one direction only. Don't throw me off track.

Chris - I loved your stripes entry and cannot understand why SC is so taboo. I've used it myself and think it's very effective in some situations. You even managed to pull off an SC with no desat - that's amazing since desat seems necessary most of the time. There are certain entries that I will always remember and that was one of them.

Sean - you are an exceptional moderator and I figured you were watching this thread. How you managed to peek but not speak is beyond me. I think I've mentioned that I'm an Admin for a medical forum and staying quiet is difficult. My tongue is sometimes bloody from biting it so hard. I hope yours is intact. You are the only Mod that I've known since coming here and I hope that you continue for a long, long time. I think you are greatly appreciated and loved!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    Leave it to Diva!!

It takes a real commitment to regularly comment on all there is to comment on, to keep it fresh, to keep from paraphrasing what other may have said..

Back in the day, I found the several times that I judged, the effort to make comment on each and every image in the entry gallery was more rewarding for me perhaps than it was for the entrants. the exercise was worth it, very "non-comfort zone." You see, when just commenting on a few images I feel exactly like Winston described (post 14) so I don't comment. So if you want a really rewarding experience, go through the effort to make comment on all of them..

OK, so,.. maybe I'll do that one of these days....

Now, back to emptying my checking account so I can call meself an artist...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Oh dear.... :hide rolleyes1.gif Good to see you, Hoofie - often wonder how you're doing!!! thumb.gif

Not to prolong the endless discussion (she said, inadvertently doing exactly that), but speaking for myself if I submit an entry, I try to comment on as many of the other entries as I have time to do. This often depends on the entry-field size - if there are only 24 images, I feel really guilty if I do some and not others; if there are 80, there just aren't enough hours in the day and so I go through and pick the ones that caught my eye. I always try to comment on the ones I have voted for (although not necessarily only the ones I have voted for). To each his own thumb.gif

I think Sapphire put it best when she said that if everybody tries to give what they can, when they can, it self-balances among the ebb and flow of the larger group. The reason I started this thread in the first place was just because I had noticed in my lurkdom that comments were dropping off to almost nil, and became really aware of it when I submitted my own entries these last couple of times. So glad the discussion grew in such an interesting and positive way.... although I never anticipated that in starting the thread!! :giggle thumb.gif

Happy holidays, too, y'all - getting crazy busy here with concerts etc so I may drift back into lurkdom, but I crawl out of the woodwork when I can wave.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2011
    Ugh. I did it again.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Ugh. I did it again.

what did you do?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2011
    Comment.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Has anyone else tried the next challenge yet? Optical Illusion?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    There is one posted. Has a couple comments, too.

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2011
    Posted my ICE comments a few minutes ago. Can't wait to see the results in the morning.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Wow, see how rarely I come to this challenge thing with time lately?? This is a month old!

I personally (without having read the majority of comments above) preferred the older method of choosing a winner. The concept of the entire mass of people voting makes it "FEEL" like a popularity contest more than a photo contest.

I am embarrassed sometimes after the results come out to see some photos receive not a SINGLE vote, when we have 40 or so people choosing TEN images a piece.... and sometimes those images are some that are the ones that had discussion, but more often it seems to be images that the artist just put out there and didn't ASK for feedback, or post during the challenge...

Yet some of those photos are great...and they don't receive ONE of four hundred or so votes...

If you are not a frequent poster, or a 'name' on the board, it seems that many of the images are overlooked.

When there was a panel of judges, and they gave out feedback and reasoning, it felt more like a competition....

That being said, I really haven't felt many of the challenge topics this year, so I have sat a number of them out...

After the holidays are over, I really want to get back into the swing, and do more posting...and read more comments here...