Options

[Implemented] Remove the 255 keyword list limit

Comments

• Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    I believe that person knows we are talking about the keyword page.
    I also believe some people like to create controversy just because they can.
    Some of them aren't even using the new SmugMug yet.
    I guess at least some of this is tongue-in-cheek? Just realized that's you! :D Idk, the statement: "I am not sure if more than 255 keywords is looked at as spam by search engines, which may be why they are limited, if not than I would love to see more keywords" just made me think it wasn't about a whole page of keywords, because the SEO we photogs usually care about the most is the type that finds our images & sees the text under them. In contrast, these keyword blocks & keyword pages aren't appearing under a photo. But I guess I misunderstood... and maybe we all have different thoughts about which SEO is the most important. Anyway, I'm not sure what the controversy comment was about. I don't see a controversy here or on the Feedback page, especially if everyone commenting there (incl. yourself) was donating votes. Aren't we all in basic agreement in this thread that we want to have access to a full page of ALL our keywords ( /keyword ) once we've unveiled? It hardly matters who is/ isn't using the New SmugMug yet. Many of those who aren't yet using it are not currently feeling able to lose some part of the functionality they had before... and I hear lots of that in this thread.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    On my unveiled site /keywords gives me a 404 Page Not Found error. Same for my visitors.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    There is no such thing as /keywords unless you create it, and then you'd be forced to use /Keywords
    The system pages are /keyword, /popular, /search and /date
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Thanks Allen, you have helped me very much with many of your excellent tips. thumb.gif

But my keywords are broken. They haven't worked since I unveiled three weeks ago.
    I need a Keyword Fixer. I looked in the Yellow Pages and I found a locksmith but he wasn't much use.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    uketeecee wrote: »
    Thanks Allen, you have helped me very much with many of your excellent tips. thumb.gif

But my keywords are broken. They haven't worked since I unveiled three weeks ago.
    I need a Keyword Fixer. I looked in the Yellow Pages and I found a locksmith but he wasn't much use.
    What's broken? Got a link to your site if you're unveiled?

There's settings in each gallery to allow Smugmug search and it has to be on.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Thanks Allen,

Under Account Settings / SEO settings / Smugmug Search Visibility - I have: YES - Discover Me.
    All my galleries Privacy settings are: Inheriting (Public).

When my users log on and try the /keyword page, it's blank. There are no keywords displayed to my visitors. This is what they see.

No_keywords-L.jpg

My site is password protected.

If I remove the site password for visitors then keywords seem to display intermittently; sometimes they show approx 100 keywords; sometimes they show none.

If I revert to password protection then I am back to where I started, keywords are blank again.
    Search is also broken. Zero results are returned for visitors because keywords are broken.
    I was told re-indexing would fix these issues but the problem persists three weeks later.

None of this was a problem in my old legacy Smug site.

- Terry
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Do you have embeddable links on everywhere?

Though not sure how site wide password works with all this.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Terry - what happens when you are logged out and use the main SEARCH function (not keyword search function) and enter a keyword there? Doesn't solve your problem, but may tell something.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Do you have embeddable links on everywhere?

Yes, Allen, all my galleries have: External Embedding = ON

I have temporarily removed my site-wide password. Can you see any keywords?
    http://ukulelearchive.smugmug.com/keyword

Do you see any keywords? Try entering the keyword 'FIE' or 'fie' in the Search box on the homepage. It should return about 100 results. Does it?

- Terry
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    If you use www.yoursite.com/keyword, it should take you a page built by SM. When in organize, do you see this as a page? If yes, look at SETTINGS for it and see if anything is turned off there.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    If you use www.yoursite.com/keyword, it should take you a page built by SM. When in organize, do you see this as a page? If yes, look at SETTINGS for it and see if anything is turned off there.

On the /keyword page the main content block says 'AREA RESERVED FOR DEFAULT SMUGMUG CONTENT'.

The only thing I can edit is the breadcrumb.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    When I click the 'SETTINGS' button on the keyword page I see this:

Settings-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Nope. Do not see your keywords. At keyword page /keyword used "burning" in the search box and came up with, I think, 61 images. Used "fie" and "FIE" and found 20 images. Went to homepage and tried those two there (same search box - main search function for both - not a keyword search box) and still received 20 images.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Thank you for confirming what my visitors are seeing.

I do have custom CSS content block on the 'Entire Site' for small things e.g. change a font here or add a line there. Could my custom CSS be the culprit?
    Perhaps I will remove ALL custom CSS and try /keyword?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Ah yes, I removed my custom CSS and now my visitors can see 255 keywords. I have several hundred keywords and would prefer to see all but this is much better.

OK, case closed. Thank you Allen and southeasternphotography. You have really helped me!

clap.gif

- Terry
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Yeah, I can't get where I want either. Try this. Create new page called "Keywords" at top level in Organize. Url to it is www.yoursite.com/Keyword (Uppercase "K"). Go to that page and add a content area using Discovery and then keyword cloud in Customize. Point to this page with a menu item. What happens there? Do you get any keywords there? More of them there than /keyword or less?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Cool! PROGRESS! Now try to see what was kiliing it in your CSS~

Yep - now seeing your keywords, but don't know if it's all of them. I see 200 keywords (I counted!). On my /keyword page, I only get 100. I get much more using keyword cloud on my /Keyword page.

I get ALL keywords in the page that I used with custom programming after copying them from legacy - I am still in PREVIEW so I can see them. You cannot get that list after unveiling.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    With your help my keywords for visitors are now working. Thanks again.
    Let's get this thread to get back on-topic.

Smugmug, please remove the 255 limit on keywords.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Uh-oh...now a new problem.

When my visitors click any keyword they get: 'Gallery is Empty'.
    Search has also stopped working, zero results are returned for any search.

I have removed all CSS but I have reset my site-wide password.

Hmm...it looks like a site-wide password breaks keywords and search for visitors in unveiled SM.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited August 29, 2013
    Can we please get a comment from SmugMug on this?

This is logged as a feature request but I really think it's a defect. My full keyword list is not accessible to me. Yes, I know, I can see 255 keywords - that doesn't come close to the number of keywords on my site.

Feature request is logged at http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4346135-keyword-page-keyword-should-contain-all-keyword.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2013
    Wondering why you have a site-wide password anyway? No access to your site at all without password. No Hero has come here to help with your keyword issue. Maybe you should now go to the BUGS forum and create a new BUG as "Site-wide password kills keyword and search system". Maybe then the Hero's will get involved!

EDIT: I was writing this while Denise wrote hers. She posted right before me!
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    I would also like a place where I can see ALL of my keywords. I used that page on my legacy site, and will continue to use it once it's available. :)
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    coldclimb wrote: »
    I would also like a place where I can see ALL of my keywords. I used that page on my legacy site, and will continue to use it once it's available. :)
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    LemansLemans Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    +1
    Leman's Studios
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    Can we get a status from Smug on this one?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    bump for a status from SmugMug

Michael -
    Is this one on your list for action????
    I still think it is crazy that I can't see all of the keywords assigned to photos on my site. And I am not going to highlight a keyword page that contains just a small subset.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    bump for status please!

--- Denise
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2013
    Heya Denise...this is still in the hands of the product department. I don't have an update on when or if this will happen. I will ask for an update. Sorry!
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Heya Denise...this is still in the hands of the product department. I don't have an update on when or if this will happen. I will ask for an update. Sorry!
    Thanks for checking in while you're traveling Michael.

I certainly hope this is WHEN, not an IF. With the product as it exists today I can't expose the keyword page to my viewers since it doesn't reflect the true state of keywords on my site, and I can no longer use the keyword page to verify that I haven't duplicated keywords with incorrect or different spellings since it doesn't show me all of the keywords.

To me this is a high priority defect.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Michael -
    Any update on this yet? I'd like to hear that you are working on this - it should be a when, not an if!

The keyword page is useless with a limit to the number of keywords that it shows.

--- Denise