Options

[Implemented] Remove the 255 keyword list limit

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    If it is a keyword gallery create a smart gallery using the keyword and bulk edit.
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    You read my mind, how cool is that.
    I have a temporary unlisted one at the top level so I can jump to it and change the
    smart rules and edit the keyword.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited January 13, 2014
    Bump! Can we get a status on this?

Showing all keywords is important both to the account owner and the viewer of the site.

From an account owner standpoint this is critical to catching keyword errors / misspellings and in verifying that the keywords match the site's design expectations.

From a view standpoint it is helpful to be able to select a set of photos based on a word or set of words. I often return to the same location multiple times - allowing my viewers to use keywords that cross galleries is very important.

But - when you only show 255 keywords my viewers - and I - are not working with a full set of information.

I have currently worked around the problem by using Lamah's extended keyword list limit - http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Keyword-limit. But I would prefer not to rely on hacks that smug may somehow break at some point in the future.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Lamah wrote: »
    Can you add a link back to this Dgrin discussion thread on this page?

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Keyword-limit

For some reason that I couldn't figure out the KW list in the ~1120px wide feed box was reset to
    ~530px. This is in the box edit area, clicking wrench under display tab.

Smugmug either pushed some changes or their code is not stable.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    For some reason that I couldn't figure out the KW list in the ~1120px wide feed box was reset to
    ~530px. This is in the box edit area, clicking wrench under display tab.

Smugmug either pushed some changes or their code is not stable.
    Something changed late last week. I was able to fix it by changing the width type on the feeds widget to fluid.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Something changed late last week. I was able to fix it by changing the width type on the feeds widget to fluid.

--- Denise
    fluid? Never heard that term or seen it in any settings.

The big problem they push changes and give us no hint of what they changed or even areas that changed.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    fluid? Never heard that term or seen it in any settings.

The big problem they push changes and give us no hint of what they changed or even areas that changed.
    Yup, I never heard of that before either. Is in the display tab for the feed content block.

Changes like this that require us to change definitions on our site are definitely not nice.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Lamah -
    I'm seeing odd behavior today (noted in Allen's Keyword weirdness thread).

The keywords that are showing in the feed that are concatenations of keywords do not return any results but the individual (real) keywords do.

For example, "acadia national park" returns images. "acadia national park cadillac mountain maine" does not (not unexpected).

You can see this behavior on my site at http://denise.smugmug.com/Find/n-FbVg7.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    This is not just the Feeds but old gallery keywords. See Keyword weirdness thread.

My hack KW's are ok now, at least until your server is refreshed.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2014
    Denise, it looks like most of your images have retained their distinct keywords, like this one:

http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Travel/Taste-of-Acadia-May-2010/Rocky-Schoodic-Peninsula/i-g9FH2xR/
    <image:keyword>acadia%20national%20park</image:keyword>
          <image:keyword>maine</image:keyword>
          <image:keyword>schoodic%20peninsula</image:keyword>

But some of them have had all the individual keywords mashed together, like this:

http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Travel/Acadia-June-2009/Looping-around-the-park/i-NkpMGvB/
          <image:keyword>acadia%20national%20park%20park%20loop%20road%20gorham%20mountain%20trail</image:keyword>

What does the keyword box show in the SmugMug UI for you for these two photos?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Further investigation.
    The best I can tell is they are removing commas that are separating keywords. Checked a bunch
    of galleries and it looks like old galleries where commas were used as separators are affected.
    Have not found a gallery that semicolons were used that has messed up yet.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Lamah wrote: »
    Denise, it looks like most of your images have retained their distinct keywords, like this one:

http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Travel/Taste-of-Acadia-May-2010/Rocky-Schoodic-Peninsula/i-g9FH2xR/
    <image:keyword>acadia%20national%20park</image:keyword>
          <image:keyword>schoodic%20peninsula</image:keyword>

But some of them have had all the individual keywords mashed together, like this:

http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Travel/Acadia-June-2009/Looping-around-the-park/i-NkpMGvB/
          <image:keyword>acadia%20national%20park%20park%20loop%20road%20gorham%20mountain%20trail</image:keyword>

What does the keyword box show in the SmugMug UI for you for these two photos?
    Ah crap, you're right.

The first photo is correct, the second is not.

I find it interesting that the keyword feed shows a lot of mashed together keywords but when I click on the feed entries they take me to a "no photos found" page.

Can you tell me how you managed to find the gallery with the mashed together keywords? I've fixed that one and several others but from your feed page it looks like I have a lot more fixing to do. It appears that I had some keywords without any separators (or the separators were there and were somehow stripped out). These are cases where there were multi-word (quoted) keywords, and there were multiple sets of them without a separator. I have no idea how they had no separator, doesn't seem that would have been possible. But somehow I need to fix them!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    My "hack" keyword list show none of this at this time. Your server probably has not been updated for my site since
    they started what-ever they started to re-index keywords. Where her site might of just been refreshed
    on your server.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Further investigation.
    The best I can tell is they are removing commas that are separating keywords. Checked a bunch
    of galleries and it looks like old galleries where commas were used as separators are affected.
    Have not found a gallery that semicolons were used that has messed up yet.
    double crap! I just checked a couple of my galleries and the keywords are separated by commas. Guess I need to edit all of them.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    double crap! I just checked a couple of my galleries and the keywords are separated by commas. Guess I need to edit all of them.

--- Denise
    That's only speculation on the commas but seems to fit. Guess I wait to see if the "hack" list pick up the combos.

Lucky I can see legacy list. Red are the only good parts. All others, yellow, are single KW's.

mingomingo national wildlife refuge • mingo national wildlife refuge animals mingo
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn animals mingo • mingo national wildlife refuge autumn animals mingo snakes
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn bugs • mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo animals • mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo fungus
    autumn mingoautumn mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo

missouri parks • missouri parks missouri • missouri parks missouri landscapes
    missouri parks missouri turtles
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Interesting. I just checked the gallery where Lamah found the mashed together keywords and there was a mistake in the keywords in that there were two sets of quoted keywords without an intervening comma or semicolon. I fixed that gallery, now to find other galleries with the problem.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    That's only speculation on the commas but seems to fit. Guess I wait to see if the "hack" list pick up the combos.
    In the gallery I've fixed there wasn't a comma or semicolon - there were multiple sets of quoted keywords without a separator. The thing that's really odd is that I fixed the keywords by adding an intervening comma. I missed one so opened the edit for the photo - edit individual photo shows semicolons between keywords, bulk edit shows commas.

--- Denise
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2014
    They better not have screwed up my keywording! I could never reconstruct it. :hang
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    They better not have screwed up my keywording! I could never reconstruct it. :hang
    Good luck!

Allen hit this first, I didn't see it on my site until today. And I don't believe it was caused by poor keywording habits - I tend to do things in a consistent fashion, and the problems are inconsistent. I can bulk edit keywords for a gallery and find that 2/3 of the photos are missing separators between the keywords. I know I didn't mess that up.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    In the gallery I've fixed there wasn't a comma or semicolon - there were multiple sets of quoted keywords without a separator. The thing that's really odd is that I fixed the keywords by adding an intervening comma. I missed one so opened the edit for the photo - edit individual photo shows semicolons between keywords, bulk edit shows commas.

--- Denise
    I looked at alot in the edit boxes and found almost all with the double quotes and no separator.
    This is what I found.
    xxxx "xxxx xxxx" "xxxx xx" xxxx "xx xxxx"

Here's a current example of inside of edit box. http://www.photosbyat.com/MissouriParks/Alley-Spring-State-Park-2005/952074_N9VMGr#!i=43758004&k=qmKg4Wf
    autumn "alley spring state park" "missouri parks" "missouri state parks" springs mills missouri landscapes
    Copy of keyword line.
    keywords: autumn [Indexing: alley spring state park missouri parks missouri state parks springs mills missouri landscapes]· Edit
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    I looked at alot in the edit boxes and found almost all with the double quotes and no separator.
    This is what I found.
    xxxx "xxxx xxxx" "xxxx xx" xxxx "xx xxxx"

Here's a current example of inside of edit box.
    autumn "alley spring state park" "missouri parks" "missouri state parks" springs mills missouri landscapes
    Copy of keyword line.
    keywords: autumn [Indexing: alley spring state park missouri parks missouri state parks springs mills missouri landscapes]· Edit
    That's what I'm seeing too.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    I just went into bulk edit KW/captions on legacy and saw this. There is one comma showing but all others gone.

autumn , "alley spring state park" "missouri parks" "missouri state parks" springs mills missouri landscapes

The edit box did not have the comma as seen in my copy in post above.
    Ref post #143 above
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    The target is moving all over the place. Now in the edit box I see this.
    autumn , "alley spring state park", "missouri parks", "missouri state parks" springs mills missouri, landscapes

More commas but still missing some. post #143 above had no commas. The only thing I can think
    of is Smug helpdesk is playing with it.

Ha, bulk edit has this? Missing only two. They are magically appearing.
    autumn , "alley spring state park", "missouri parks", "missouri state parks" springs mills, missouri, landscapes
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    In my galleries it looks like the problem was from 2009 and earlier. I'm working through trying to fix things now.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2014
    Has this been reported as a bug? That's what it is, isn't it? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2014
    Has this been reported as a bug? That's what it is, isn't it?
    It is reported in the bug reporting forum in the thread Keyword weirdness (catastrophic). And per comment from Allen in this post he did have a conversation with someone from the help desk.

I'm a bit surprised there has been no comment from anyone from smug in the Keyword weirdness thread.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2014
    back to the topic of this thread...

If it wasn't for Lamah's "more than 255 keywords" hack I wouldn't have seen the problem on my site for a long time. It was visible in the full list of keywords but it was not visible in the paltry 255 keywords that are shown in the official keyword content element.

SmugMug, this needs to be fixed. It is impossible to manage the keywords for our sites without the ability to see all of the keywords in one place.

Can we please have a comment from smug here? Michael? Someone else?

--- Denise
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2014
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Happy days. Updated to 10,000
    Michael -
    I just saw that on my site, thought I was imagining things! Happy days!

Thank you, and please pass on my thanks to your team.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2014
    Michael -
    I just saw that on my site, thought I was imagining things! Happy days!

Thank you, and please pass on my thanks to your team.

--- Denise

You are most welcome Denise! See, I DO go to bat for you guys! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Happy days. Updated to 10,000
    Thanks - this is good, no, great news!

I was quietly wondering and hoping that SmugMug might have been bothered by Lamar's option, bringing an external server into play with all the related security issues and precedents caused by this kind of solution, and that this might have been the tipping point for action.

However whatever did it, including your advocacy, it's a great outcome. I'm pleased and grateful. But doesn't it (thank God) make a mockery of the voting system for "new features", even when these are so often bugs, functions dropped innocently or otherwise from old SmugMug, or just plain design goofs (e.g. no bulk maintenance of image titles as for captions and keywords)?

Just listening to users and doing the right thing, as in this case, makes more sense to me!