Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited August 18, 2013
    caroline wrote: »
    Looks good Caroline! The only thing I would suggest is to remove the Login link. You can always log in from www.smugmug.com, and I think you'll have a cleaner look without a Login (that isn't usable by your site viewers).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    digitald33 wrote: »
    Overall your site looks good.

You might consider changing the rollover color for your navbar though. I've never understood using a rollover color that blends in with the background; once I roll over an entry I can no longer read it. That doesn't entice me to click.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    I like the look of your site.

One suggestion... on pages other than your home page have you considered placing your navbar and logo on the same line? It doesn't matter so much on a large monitor but on a smaller screen you are using a larger amount of vertical space for your header. This removes space that can (should!) be used for your photos.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Fret56 wrote: »
    I'm now doubting my choice of design. Perhaps I'm too close to it and should leave it alone for a while. I might even like it again.

BTW SM have just informed me that the keyword content block is limited to 255.
    That means a) it's not working and b) that's not going to be enough for me

http://www.lostonmarsphotography.com
    Looks good!

Please add comments to the feature request Remove the 255 keyword list limit. I haven't even exposed my keyword page because it is missing more keywords than it shows!

--- Denise
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hi everyone. I thought I would share my experience with the migration and the extent of customization which is zero other than tweaking content and margins. Everything on my site was done with out of the box Smugmug. I got quite a few ideas from other users in the various forums so thanks to all. This said to encourage those who think you may need programming skills to get a finished product.

A couple of suggestions and observations based om my experience to users who haven't yet migrated;

1. Don't spend too much time on picking an offered template. Chances are your final site won't look much like the starting point. Mine started as Willow and I tried a few other templates. Instead, decide whether you want side navigation or top navigation and pick a template along those lines and also the default font of the template.

2. If you're a hobbyist like me and not a business then migrate right away and start playing with the new designs. You'll have a few false starts but that's part of learning. I had about three false starts as I learned how to adjust and add items and had to back up but your files are never in any danger.

Anyway after about a week and a half I'm pretty well done and think the new site is a 1000% improvement over the old. There are still a few minor bugs but I've noticed the SM team is plugging away at them.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and details on how to get things done.

Paul

http://paultavares.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Looks good Caroline! The only thing I would suggest is to remove the Login link. You can always log in from www.smugmug.com, and I think you'll have a cleaner look without a Login (that isn't usable by your site viewers).

--- Denise

Thanks Denise!
    I know I have to add some CSS but can't find the code and am not sure how to do it yet:)

Paula I used the Smugmug theme and just tweaked it a little, changing colours etc. I tried loads of different themes but got completely lost in them. I like to know what people have used too:)

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    digitald33digitald33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    It's better on the menu. But I still can't have a particularly wide browser window before it goes back to two line menu. Some people have quite small screens, and unless it's a mobile device they are using they may have viewing problems. See screen print which shows the narrowest I can go before it reformats to two lines. The black areas (my desktop) show the extent of my 24inch monitor.

If you go to your 'entire site' in customize and change the container width on the dimensions tab you can alter the relative widths. I have three blocks and mine are 30%, 50% and 20%. You only have two, so make the left narrower, and the right wider.

i-4mbK62c-XL.jpg

Thanks Rob, I had never seen the Dimensions tab there before.. So I had to hunt for it abit.. I made it 70% to 30% and reduced the left logo area's right margin to 0 so there should be lots of room to squish down and not let the menu go to a second line.. thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    claudiusmaxclaudiusmax Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    digitald33 wrote: »
    Looks better now... You're on the right track! I found a forum topic somewhere around here about round gallery edges.

Thanks Douglas. I was up late last nite and got a clean rounded look throughout the site but having issues with the dropshadow on the lightbox images and slideshow. Probably work on that today.
  • Options
    MenBrialMenBrial Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    RustyBlades I totaly agree with your comments

http://www.menbrial.com/
  • Options
    sonoranhawksonoranhawk Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    I just unveiled my site today. Created my own theme, added my own logo. A work in progress. Michael
    www.michaelclevengerphotography.com
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    It's alive!
    Just went live after several days of fiddling clap.gif. Used the NYX theme with color change of theme to light duotone. Please tell me what ya think; constructive comments, criticisms are always appreciated.

One thing I couldn't figure out how to do is to turn off the accent color in the contact link in the footer. Can someone tell me how to do this? I oly want the word "contact" to change color when hovered over like the words in the navigation menu.

http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/
  • Options
    ButlerkidButlerkid Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Cynthia,

Lovely site....wonderful work! I was intrigued by a couple of images on your home page, but had no easy way to find them. :((

Clicking on them didn't do anything. On my website Homepage, I have set the "Action on Click" setting to "Go to Gallery" but it is not working.....it takes the viewer to the Lightbox! I've sent an email to SM asking if this is a bug. If SM got this setting working correctly, it might be something for you to consider.

Otherwise, well done!

P.S. Love the IR work!
  • Options
    vandrendevandrende Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Here it is, so far...
    Here is my try. Started with Smokey theme and added content blocks little by little. Changed colors, and customized the slideshow with some shadow. From the legacy site I miss the random order display on the slideshow.

http://pierre-chaton.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Butlerkid wrote: »
    Cynthia,

Lovely site....wonderful work! I was intrigued by a couple of images on your home page, but had no easy way to find them. :((

Clicking on them didn't do anything. On my website Homepage, I have set the "Action on Click" setting to "Go to Gallery" but it is not working.....it takes the viewer to the Lightbox! I've sent an email to SM asking if this is a bug. If SM got this setting working correctly, it might be something for you to consider.

Otherwise, well done!

P.S. Love the IR work!

Thanks for the comment. Fixed the linking; homepage images now link to lightbox. In a bit of a dilemma about the homepage. What I'm really hoping for is that a fullscreen slideshow background will be implemented a la fastline media; that is what I used to have, in which instance there is no issue of whether an image should click or not to a gallery. Initially, I tried setting up a gallery by keywording the images as "homepage" but the indexing was soooo sloooww! So I just re-uploaded images to a gallery and that is what is feeding the homepage. The keywording is now working, but the problem with that is some of the images have a watermark and it looks crummy on the homepage.

On your site, the homepage click on an image is lining me to the lightbox, but on google chrome, i'm getting this browser thing popping up telling me page is on Turkish, do i want to translate??
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hello, my website is below, I used the Template Zoe..... I wanted my website to be nice and clean plus easy to navigate for people, nothing too busy also I wanted the layout to look well on phones or tablets. So I edited the template Zoe a bit, also used smugmugs contact me form. My older smugmug site was all black, I went with white this time and love the new smugmug look.

http://www.lamontphotography.com/
    VictorR wrote: »
    Great site. One question how did you get the large slide show? Thanks

Hi thank you!!!! when I made/make a new page or a homepage from the Customize window I simply dragged the slideshow button to where I wanted and there I selected the previously made gallery for my slide show images. And the settings of the slideshow button there you can select the size, playback or control buttons and so on.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Sounds like we are in the same spot.....undecided about the Homepage! Laughing.gif! I, too, miss the full screen slide show!
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    vandrende wrote: »
    Here is my try. Started with Smokey theme and added content blocks little by little. Changed colors, and customized the slideshow with some shadow. From the legacy site I miss the random order display on the slideshow.

http://pierre-chaton.smugmug.com/

The 360 panoramic thing is cool!! But personally, I am not a fan of the long, multiple tiered flyout menus. I think it detracts from the aesthetics of the homepage. Have you considered just lining on the menu to the archive page where there would be a tiled or block of an image that would then link to a gallery or another folder, etc?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hi thank you!!!! when I made/make a new page or a homepage from the Customize window I simply dragged the slideshow button to where I wanted and there I selected the previously made gallery for my slide show images. And the settings of the slideshow button there you can select the size, playback or control buttons and so on.

When I create a new page, I can configure the slide show to be much larger. However, I can't figure out how to get my gallery of slide show images to show up.

If I create a folder, then I can put the gallery in the folder, but then the images show up in a SM protected container and I cannot edit the margins, etc.

Could you please clarify how you did the slide show? THANKS!
  • Options
    SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    CynthiaM wrote: »
    Just went live after several days of fiddling clap.gif. Used the NYX theme with color change of theme to light duotone. Please tell me what ya think; constructive comments, criticisms are always appreciated.

One thing I couldn't figure out how to do is to turn off the accent color in the contact link in the footer. Can someone tell me how to do this? I oly want the word "contact" to change color when hovered over like the words in the navigation menu.

http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/
    Hi Cynthia !
    totally different compared to your previous one, I like this one too, congrats !
    and great photos, not a surprise ;)
    Kisses from France,
    Serge
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Cynthia, how did you get the menu items to change color as someone mouses over them?
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    MenBrial wrote: »

Jean-Luc,

I like the bilingual pun (phare Ouest) and your use of photos as background. Your site has a cohesive feel to it including choice of titles. You've given me a few more ideas.

Thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Cynthia, how did you get the menu items to change color as someone mouses over them?

Did you use the customizing tool to make your navigation menu? This is the code I used, but if you didn't use the built in tool, not sure if it will work.

.sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a:hover {
    color: #388e8e !important;
    }

To use it, go to customize site, make sure you have entire site highlighted, then hover over css to see the wrench, click on the wrench and add code to the css box. Change color to whatever color you want.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    MenBrial wrote: »

Jean Luc - you need to add some left border to your menu line.....it is right up against the left side of the page.....
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    CynthiaM wrote: »
    Did you use the customizing tool to make your navigation menu? This is the code I used, but if you didn't use the built in tool, not sure if it will work.

.sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a:hover {
    color: #388e8e !important;
    }

To use it, go to customize site, make sure you have entire site highlighted, then hover over css to see the wrench, click on the wrench and add code to the css box. Change color to whatever color you want.

Thanks, Cynthia! I'll give it a try !
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    It Worked! iloveyou.gif

THANKS so much!
  • Options
    photolordphotolord Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    WinkXR6T wrote: »
    Here's mine... http://http://www.photosbyadamlee.com/

I set mine up with the world of mobile devices in mind. The gallery photos fill the screen and will mould to any device and I believe scrolling vertically is a natural way to browse given the smart phone and tablet revolution.

I love you automotive work! That's something I would love to get better at.
    Best regards,

Matt George
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    When I create a new page, I can configure the slide show to be much larger. However, I can't figure out how to get my gallery of slide show images to show up.

If I create a folder, then I can put the gallery in the folder, but then the images show up in a SM protected container and I cannot edit the margins, etc.

Could you please clarify how you did the slide show? THANKS!

1st - Create an new empty gallery name it slideshow (easy to find that way)
    2nd - On your homepage, drag a slideshow button out now in the basic tab on Picture Source choose Gallery
    3rd - The second option should be Gallery here simply select the gallery thats your slideshow images

Thats its pretty simple, there are three tabs there in the slideshow option you can change or play with the settings you would like to use

ALSO make the slideshow gallery unlisted....

Thats how I did mine and it works just fine
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    claudiusmaxclaudiusmax Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    I like the look of your site.

One suggestion... on pages other than your home page have you considered placing your navbar and logo on the same line? It doesn't matter so much on a large monitor but on a smaller screen you are using a larger amount of vertical space for your header. This removes space that can (should!) be used for your photos.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise. I've been so focused on other parts on the site that I have'nt really noticed, I'll work on it tonight, Thanks for the input !
  • Options
    WinkXR6TWinkXR6T Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    photolord wrote: »
    I love you automotive work! That's something I would love to get better at.

Thanks mate.

Shoot me a PM of you've got any questions. Happy to help.
  • Options
    MenBrialMenBrial Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Jean-Luc,

I like the bilingual pun (phare Ouest) and your use of photos as background. Your site has a cohesive feel to it including choice of titles. You've given me a few more ideas.

Thanks
    Paul

Thank you Paul ...