Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Oops, this site:
    http://www.charlesdalyphotography.com/Photography/2015-Pan-American-Games/i-Mm2WPgb
    and this one
    http://www.kevinpaulphoto.com/Other/Portfolio/n-L82gg/i-HftPcvH

(I think it's an issue with all the thumbnail views, not sure if they all come from the same template).
    Sorry Starry that I missed your post earlier. Not sure what you are seeing? The link you posted took me to a young girl playing a piano at the "41 pianos" event to kick off the 2015 Pan-Am games in Toronto (gee, that sounds like a PaAm plug-no idea why) Did you mean if you zoom your monitor in/out?
    Confused but happy in Toronto
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    JakeJake Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    My New Website
    After much consternation and gnashing of teeth, I have tweaked, re-tweaked, re-organized and re-named the vast majority of my website and it is finally ready.

Here is my newly converted website: www.frozenshutter.com

I played around with the navigation and organization quite a bit. I wanted it easy for customers, casual observers and family to navigate.

Thanks for taking a look. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Jake
    Thanks,
    Jake

"Some people hunt with a rifle, I hunt with a Canon" ~ Gary Jacobson
  • Options
    ButlerkidButlerkid Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Jake wrote: »
    After much consternation and gnashing of teeth, I have tweaked, re-tweaked, re-organized and re-named the vast majority of my website and it is finally ready.

Here is my newly converted website: www.frozenshutter.com

I played around with the navigation and organization quite a bit. I wanted it easy for customers, casual observers and family to navigate.

Thanks for taking a look. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Jake

Wonderful site! Seems like everyone is jumping on the "white" band wagon....your site is unique and the photography is stunning! The site does not "get in the way" of the beautiful images.
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    ^ love your Travel photos, Karen - super site.

*edit* - unless this is an issue with Chrome, I noticed that your "back to top" button is a broken link on your gallery pages.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Harm wrote: »
    ^ love your Travel photos, Karen - super site.

Thank you! I'm still not totally happy with my site....I feel the site design gets in the way of the images....

Truly appreciate the comment and welcome suggestions for improvement.
  • Options
    James_FJames_F Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    My humble non-commercial Smugmug site
    Well, here's mine - http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com (power user account). I LOOK FORWARD TO ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS. Notes: I stuck with the SmugMug gallery design because I thought it best served my gallery descriptions and image captions which in many cases are lengthy. That said, I'm trying to tell a story with each picture.

I will say that despite being with Smugmug for 7 years, I found working with site customization to be very difficult as 'how to" documentation was skimpy as best. I listened to webinars until I was blue in the face. It took awhile, but I think I'm making progress. Not happy with the wasted space to the right of image captions. Looking to learn how to correct that.

I look forward to any comments - good or bad. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    James_F wrote: »
    Well, here's mine - http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com (power user account). I LOOK FORWARD TO ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS. Notes: I stuck with the SmugMug gallery design because I thought it best served my gallery descriptions and image captions which in many cases are lengthy. That said, I'm trying to tell a story with each picture.

I will say that despite being with Smugmug for 7 years, I found working with site customization to be very difficult as 'how to" documentation was skimpy as best. I listened to webinars until I was blue in the face. It took awhile, but I think I'm making progress. Not happy with the wasted space to the right of image captions. Looking to learn how to correct that.

I look forward to any comments - good or bad. Thanks.

I would like to see some type of feedback (another color) when I hover over a linkable text/image. I'm not a fan of the background colors for each galleries. I thought I went to another site at first. I would keep the background color the same throughout the site.
  • Options
    JakeJake Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Butlerkid wrote: »
    Wonderful site! Seems like everyone is jumping on the "white" band wagon....your site is unique and the photography is stunning! The site does not "get in the way" of the beautiful images.

Thanks Karen! I played around with quite a few templates light, dark and in between, but settled on black as your eye goes straight to the images.

You have some wonderful images, I especially loved your hummingbird and travel images!

On your website - I like the concept, navigation, but I'm not a fan of rounded corners and the background color distracts from your beautiful images. I'm all for clean and simple. Have you tried black or white?

Best of luck to you with your photography and website.

Thanks,
    Jake
    Thanks,
    Jake

"Some people hunt with a rifle, I hunt with a Canon" ~ Gary Jacobson
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Thanks, Jake. I appreciate your comments on some of my images. Your thoughts mimic how I'm feeling about the site.

Actually I'm trying to change over to black or white "in the background" without messing up the public view. That's ticklish, because sometimes I end up changing my public view when I'm not ready!

Don't know if the header background image will stay or not.

My old website was very light, actually a pale peach color....
  • Options
    Fret56Fret56 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I'm now doubting my choice of design. Perhaps I'm too close to it and should leave it alone for a while. I might even like it again.

BTW SM have just informed me that the keyword content block is limited to 255.
    That means a) it's not working and b) that's not going to be enough for me

http://www.lostonmarsphotography.com
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Fret56 wrote: »
    I'm now doubting my choice of design. Perhaps I'm too close to it and should leave it alone for a while. I might even like it again.

I often find it best to take a break from things and come back to it later. Your layout looks fine to me. If you want to make it a little more appealing (maybe you don't) a page with some brief details about yourself and your photography might help?
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Fret56 wrote: »

BTW SM have just informed me that the keyword content block is limited to 255.
    That means a) it's not working and b) that's not going to be enough for me

http://www.lostonmarsphotography.com

Yep, I do the same thing. :D
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    I would like to see some type of feedback (another color) when I hover over a linkable text/image. I'm not a fan of the background colors for each galleries. I thought I went to another site at first. I would keep the background color the same throughout the site.

I agree with the different background colors might be confusing to some folks. That's an easy fix. But I don't quite follow your initial comment about "some type of feedback ... when hovering." Please elaborate. This is not a pro account nor do I have linkable text that I can recall. So that comment has me stumped.
  • Options
    VictorRVictorR Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Hello, my website is below, I used the Template Zoe..... I wanted my website to be nice and clean plus easy to navigate for people, nothing too busy also I wanted the layout to look well on phones or tablets. So I edited the template Zoe a bit, also used smugmugs contact me form. My older smugmug site was all black, I went with white this time and love the new smugmug look.

http://www.lamontphotography.com/

Great site. One question how did you get the large slide show? Thanks
  • Options
    ChillerChiller Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Chiller, you're doing some interesting work. Somewhat dark, no question, but lots of skill and humor going on here as well. Gahan WIlson must have started the same way. I quite like what you're doing. Don't think I'll hire the cellar for sleepovers though. It would be a real add-on for me if you had some captions so we knew where and what was what but it'syour choice and you did well and good to see your in Toronto, too.
    Cheers man,
    By the way, the cellar is hilarious -did you know- once you get into the cellar thee is no way out. Yikes.
    Were most of the abandonments shot in TO?

Thank you so much for your kind words. Been tinkering around all day and working on that getting locked in the cellar bit. rolleyes1.gif I removed a breadcrumb by accident, and forgot how to get it back in there.
    Im hoping to start pushing more of my darker horror genre, so I went with a nice dark feel.
    Many of the abandoned building are in and around the TO area, and many are from the US.
    Im in the works of adding some captions as well. With my abandoned gallery, I tend to stay away from naming places, mostly do to people searching them out and vandalism. ne_nau.gif

Thanks again for taking the time to check things out. Muchly appreciated. wings.gif
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Chiller wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Been tinkering around all day and working on that getting locked in the cellar bit. rolleyes1.gif I removed a breadcrumb by accident, and forgot how to get it back in there.
    Im hoping to start pushing more of my darker horror genre, so I went with a nice dark feel.
    Many of the abandoned building are in and around the TO area, and many are from the US.
    Im in the works of adding some captions as well. With my abandoned gallery, I tend to stay away from naming places, mostly do to people searching them out and vandalism. ne_nau.gif

Thanks again for taking the time to check things out. Muchly appreciated. wings.gif
    You created the cellar and you're worried about vandalism? And you're looking for a breadcrum in that cellar?
    rolleyes1.gifrofl

For breadcrumbs: customize/all folders/galleries/content/wrench/breadcrumbs/show current page+display full (selecting emphasize makes the current page breadcrumb much larger -which, in your cellar might be a good thing):)
    Later -good work
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    James_F wrote: »
    I agree with the different background colors might be confusing to some folks. That's an easy fix. But I don't quite follow your initial comment about "some type of feedback ... when hovering." Please elaborate. This is not a pro account nor do I have linkable text that I can recall. So that comment has me stumped.

I was referring to your navigation bar. When you hover over one of your nav links (like 'About Me', 'Costa Rica' etc) there is no change (feedback) of color or underline. I'm not familiar with the other accounts, so maybe you can't add any custom CSS.

Same thing with your gallery thumbnails. I like to see a change when I hover over a thumbnail. A change of opacity or a border change etc.
  • Options
    naufalnaufal Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Your site looks good, but you need to add more images to the home screen. On my 27" screen I am only getting two rows of pictures leaving the bottom half of the screen blank.

Oh! I'll add more photos buddy. Thanks for the review.
  • Options
    naufalnaufal Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Your site looks good, but you need to add more images to the home screen. On my 27" screen I am only getting two rows of pictures leaving the bottom half of the screen blank.
    Excellent site, Naufal, and some beautiful images. And after all is said and done it's the images that make a good site.

There's only one T in 'contact' on your menu bar.

Hahaha... 'conact' is corrected now :) Thank you so much for pointing it out.
  • Options
    Grambo44Grambo44 Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    I've seen some great sites posted! Finally got around to giving my site an update. It's something I'd been thinking about long before the "new" SmugMug was released. But, the timing worked out and the new tools are great.

Anyway, here's my site:

www.travisgrahamphotography.com

I'm certain I'll make little changes here and there, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for looking and enjoy!
  • Options
    garymillergarymiller Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    I see that a few folks are indicating which template they are basing their new sites on here but for the most part I am left in the dark guessing what they started with. Is there anyway to cipher that out behind the scenes using 'View Source Code' in my browser?

Hint: - I hope more people will mention that in their 'See My Site' posts.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    garymiller wrote: »
    I see that a few folks are indicating which template they are basing their new sites on here but for the most part I am left in the dark guessing what they started with. Is there anyway to cipher that out behind the scenes using 'View Source Code' in my browser?

Gary

Not sure how useful it would be to know that. I started with the 'dina' theme, but I changed so much that it now bears very little relationship to dina. Of course, if someone doesn't do too much customisation the relationsip to the original theme will be closer.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited August 17, 2013
    garymiller wrote: »

Hey, not a bad idea! I would like to know the base themes they all started with as well.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Grambo44 wrote: »
    I've seen some great sites posted! Finally got around to giving my site an update. It's something I'd been thinking about long before the "new" SmugMug was released. But, the timing worked out and the new tools are great.

Anyway, here's my site:

I'm certain I'll make little changes here and there, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Great site. Nice and clean. I suggest you make your blog open up in a new window or tab so that it doesn't navigate away from your website.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Sorry Starry that I missed your post earlier. Not sure what you are seeing? The link you posted took me to a young girl playing a piano at the "41 pianos" event to kick off the 2015 Pan-Am games in Toronto (gee, that sounds like a PaAm plug-no idea why) Did you mean if you zoom your monitor in/out?
    Confused but happy in Toronto

Hi There -- the issue occurs with the thumbnail view for galleries. not sure if the other page was a thumbnail gallery when I viewed it, but perhaps? If you've been working on your galleries?

http://www.charlesdalyphotography.com/Photography/Julie

Seems to still have a version of the problem though not as severely because you don't have more than one page of thumbnail images.

But on an iPad, the thumbs are different sizes if you view the site in portrait and then switch to landscape. On a Mac, the thumbs don't resize properly. This is just style in a gallery with just a small number of pictures but a flaw if there are a lot of pictures Because the thumbs stop matching the preview picture) The other site link shows the problem more severely.
  • Options
    TomRoperTomRoper Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013

Anyway, here's my site:

Good job, you've got a nice clean layout and nicely organized. I think I need to reconsider how I have my folders and galleries organized.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013

Anyway, here's my site:

Nice layout, and you have kept it simple. Love the pony shot on the homepage, but with all that negative space on the left I think he needs a FRIEND rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Hi all,

Great sites here! I just "unveiled" my own site today.

www.pmbimages.com

I petty much have the same navigation as where my Legacy site had left off. However, I will be doing some more tweaking/experimenting to improve it from where it's at now.

I don't surf the internet using tablets or cellphones at all, so I have no idea how it looks on those platforms. ne_nau.gif

I had started off with the "Moss" design and went from there.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    I don't surf the internet using tablets or cellphones at all, so I have no idea how it looks on those platforms. ne_nau.gif

It looks good on my Samsung S3. The only slight thing is the gallery level images are quite big on the screen, whereas mine look much smaller. There's an option in customisation that 'collapses images' for web use. But I can't recall where it is!

Your photography is very good.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    I was referring to your navigation bar. When you hover over one of your nav links (like 'About Me', 'Costa Rica' etc) there is no change (feedback) of color or underline. I'm not familiar with the other accounts, so maybe you can't add any custom CSS.

Same thing with your gallery thumbnails. I like to see a change when I hover over a thumbnail. A change of opacity or a border change etc.

Thanks for the continued feedback, Mike. I am not sure that I can do what you suggest (mine is a power account which lacks some of the functionality of the "pro" accounts (I think)). The only "hover" response I've been able to add so far is when one is in a particular gallery, if you hover over the nav bar and the galleries collections listed in the nav bar, a sub-menu of galleries appears. I agree that it would be nice to get the "feedback" you mentioned. Just not sure I can do it at my account level. If others reading this disagree, please let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to look things over.