Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    raebrown wrote: »
    With some final CSS help from Allen I think we are there...at least for awhile.

Looks good! I know all your galleries are on the home page, but I would still like to see a "galleries" link in the header. As I was looking at your about page it took me a bit to figure out how to see your pictures.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Harm wrote: »
    I ear you on that one Oja - I did the same thing then did a tiny tweak to give a tiny margin either side. But I made an unlisted gallery of 3:1 ratio images for a homepage slideshow.

I like your site too.

LOVE your site, great job.
    -Nate
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Oja wrote: »
    Wonderful site Harm. Love those images in the homepage slideshow.

Thank you
    LOVE your site, great job.

Thank you. Quick thought about your homepage, is there any reason why you:

a - have not removed the standard smugmug footer off your homepage? - would make it look cleaner
    b - only have photos of rings in the slideshow? You have a tremendous amount of space that you're using which is great, i was just curious as to why only wedding rings?

I also noticed that on some galleries, you have the breadcrumbs emphasised, and on others, they aren't. A few tweaks and keeping it consistent will be great.

Love the photos that you have on your site. kudos for being a "Wedding Photographer"

Cheers
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Thank you

Thank you. Quick thought about your homepage, is there any reason why you:

a - have not removed the standard smugmug footer off your homepage? - would make it look cleaner
    b - only have photos of rings in the slideshow? You have a tremendous amount of space that you're using which is great, i was just curious as to why only wedding rings?

I also noticed that on some galleries, you have the breadcrumbs emphasised, and on others, they aren't. A few tweaks and keeping it consistent will be great.

Love the photos that you have on your site. kudos for being a "Wedding Photographer"

Cheers

a. Done, somehow over looked that
    b. Yeah, wanted to emphasize our focus on weddings with a cohesive and simple slideshow, I think it gets the point across.
    c. De-emphasized all bread crumbs, another silly overlooking. Always good to have another set of eyes.

Thanks very much for the comments
    -Nate
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    I would like to invite anyone who is interested to check out my website.
    I have made the step of unveiling the new smugmug.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    a. Done, somehow over looked that
    b. Yeah, wanted to emphasize our focus on weddings with a cohesive and simple slideshow, I think it gets the point across.
    c. De-emphasized all bread crumbs, another silly overlooking. Always good to have another set of eyes.

Thanks very much for the comments

Ahhh, that looks much cleaner.

Just also a nice pointing out, I like how your site looks against a light background. Nice work.
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Looks good! I know all your galleries are on the home page, but I would still like to see a "galleries" link in the header. As I was looking at your about page it took me a bit to figure out how to see your pictures.

Good suggeston, I'll look at doing that. Thanks!
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Your homepage is very effective; unfortunately the tiny video (with noise!) that pops up in the middle of the screen ruins it for me. (Web sites with unsolicited sound is a trigger for me to close the page.) Have you considered only showing your background on the homepage (with nothing else)?

Your blog and information pages open in new browser tabs. I clicked to your blog, then clicked Website to return to your page. That opened yet another tab and it wasn't the site that I started from. I'd recommend cleaning up the links. Also, make sure you know your viewers before you start propagating browser tabs or pages that weren't requested by the viewer. If a site starts opening new pages that I didn't ask for I usually close the page.

I don't know if your menu entries are cut off or if you used "infor" as a shortcut for information. I think either spelling it out or using "info" would be better.

--- Denise

thanks Denise... I like your suggestions... I removed the video and changed the "INFOR" to "INFO" and fixed some of my links: I am slowly transferring my 'bludomain' website to just using my new smugmug... since I like the new format.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited August 28, 2013
    Diane S wrote: »
    thanks Denise... I like your suggestions... I removed the video and changed the "INFOR" to "INFO" and fixed some of my links: I am slowly transferring my 'bludomain' website to just using my new smugmug... since I like the new format.
    much better!

--- Denise
  • Options
    d3needshelpd3needshelp Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    let27801 wrote: »
    I would probably remove the back, forward, pause, and play button off of the home screen and just let the slideshow play. My personal thoughts is I don't like a solid white background but that is me.

Thanks for the button suggestions. Will consider!
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

I use Firefox and Safari browsers. However, I just received a message from someone I know who said he could not see my site with neither IE nor Chrome. :-(

Can anyone who uses IE or Chrome try to view my site and see what they get? Can you see anything? I'm on a Mac so can't use IE. For other reasons, I also don't have Chrome installed.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    OjaOja Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I use Firefox and Safari browsers. However, I just received a message from someone I know who said he could not see my site with neither IE nor Chrome. :-(

Can anyone who uses IE or Chrome try to view my site and see what they get? Can you see anything? I'm on a Mac so can't use IE. For other reasons, I also don't have Chrome installed.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks.
    It works just fine in Chrome. Do you know what version of IE as older ones don't work well with some of the new templates but reasonably current ones should do just fine?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    works perfectly fine for me in Chrome, Paula

quick little nitpick about your homepage though, Paula - you may want to remove the "breadcrumbs" from the homepage.

There is no need for it at all, and it will remove a small bit of clutter off there too.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Oja wrote: »
    It works just fine in Chrome. Do you know what version of IE as older ones don't work well with some of the new templates but reasonably current ones should do just fine?

Thank you for your quick response Oja!

I just sent a query to him about what version of IE he's using. I'd also let him know older versions of IE won't be compatible with the new Smug designs. I'll see what he says.

quick little nitpick about your homepage though, Paula - you may want to remove the "breadcrumbs" from the homepage.

There is no need for it at all, and it will remove a small bit of clutter off there too.

Thanks for your feedback as well, Harm!
    I was looking for codes for few other things, but I'll definitely look into removing that breadcrumb from the home page only, as well. thumb.gif
    pmb images
  • Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013

Harm, love your site and am trying to help someone with something similar. Didn't you create a post on how you created the home page slideshow? If so could you send me the link to that post please?? Thank you!
  • Options
    d3needshelpd3needshelp Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    SunGlo wrote: »
    Thanks Dan. Yes, it's SmugMug gallery style. As far as I know, the thumbnails are always to the left in that style, however I did play with the various margins to get it to my liking which does affect the main image size somewhat. There may be a way to adjust the size using CSS, but I'm not sure.

I just fixed the problem with the background image showing through my homepage slideshow during transitions. I found a way to add a black background to the slideshow thus blocking out the homepage background image...phew.

Hi SunGlo...
    I kinda figured out that since my navbar is to the left, the SM gallery style puts the thumbnails underneath the featured one. At least I think ne_nau.gif
    I'll prob just keep the style I'm in. Thanks for the info though.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited August 28, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    I use Firefox and Safari browsers. However, I just received a message from someone I know who said he could not see my site with neither IE nor Chrome.
    Your site looks good to me in both Chrome and IE10.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Your site looks good to me in both Chrome and IE10.

--- Denise

Thank you very much for your confirmation as well, Denise! thumb.gif

I haven't heard back from him yet regarding which IE he was using, but I'm glad that others here can view it. He was the only person who said he had trouble viewing it, and I'd announced my unveiling over a week ago on- and offline to hundreds of people.
    I was particularly concerned about Chrome, considering how many people are using it (on both Mac and Windows platforms, plus mobile too).

Well, at least the new Contact form works for others besides myself. That's what he'd used to reach me. :D
    pmb images
  • Options
    TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Hi All!

So here is what I have so far. Keep in mind I'm a hobbyist, and as such don't have a specific focus for the site, so have opted for a design that includes all types of photography.

I'm also still working on the main page, which remains a work in progress:

Home Page:
    http://brickstreetphotos.smugmug.com/

Main Galleries Page:
    http://brickstreetphotos.smugmug.com/B-S-P-Galleries

Thanks for looking,

Scott
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Harm, love your site and am trying to help someone with something similar. Didn't you create a post on how you created the home page slideshow? If so could you send me the link to that post please?? Thank you!

Thank you very much Connie - and I can very much reciprocate with your site, and especially the content. You have some fabulous photos in there.

As for my homepage, I don't think I made any instructions on how to do it.

I basically made sure that the slideshow's container width was 100%. Then the auto-size of the slideshow was set to a 3:1 ratio.

After that, I had to pick a bunch of images, then crop them (if they weren't already set at) to a 3:1 ratio, so they would all be exactly the same size - hence the simplistic look.

Just had to make sure that if you clicked on any of the images, nothing would happen.

Originally, I had it so the slideshow was the entire width of the screen, but I preferred a smidgen of a margin either side, so it would look good on an tablet, a phone or a laptop/screen.
  • Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Thank you very much Connie - and I can very much reciprocate with your site, and especially the content. You have some fabulous photos in there.

I basically made sure that the slideshow's container width was 100%. Then the auto-size of the slideshow was set to a 3:1 ratio.

After that, I had to pick a bunch of images, then crop them (if they weren't already set at) to a 3:1 ratio, so they would all be exactly the same size - hence the simplistic look.

Just had to make sure that if you clicked on any of the images, nothing would happen.

Originally, I had it so the slideshow was the entire width of the screen, but I preferred a smidgen of a margin either side, so it would look good on an tablet, a phone or a laptop/screen.

Thank you so much for the compliment and the info!!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    PhilsImaging Unveiled
    Here is my unveiled site http://www.philsimaging.com/.

I still have some work to do because I have a lot of galleries and images on my site, plus I changed my domain name from LifeInFocusExpressions.com to PhilsImaging.com. The latter involved removing a lot watermarks that were LifeInFocusExpressions centric and a lot advertising in many of the galleries.

I have few things to work out. 1. Need to figure out how to get more space for the header - I have tried to add more pixels for the Logo, Menu and my F11 key text box but that doesn't seem to work. I have Heros question in to figure this out.

Note that I use Browse, Menu and Search box to help people to find images.

2. And to figure out how to make my "Website Pages" folder unlisted for "Browse" purposes but available for menu purposes. I have two pages - About and Video - in the Website Pages folder. I don't care to have people see them in the Browse feature since they are on my main menu.

Work in progress.

I am enjoying the new product.

Comments are welcome. http://www.philsimaging.com/
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    FunguyphotoFunguyphoto Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2013

Harm... I love your site!

I've been working on customizing mine for a while now and had a similar simplistic look going but yours is MUCH better. I've now shamelessly copied some of your ideas and have a few questions.

How do you get the menu to behave the way yours does when the page shrinks (i.e. the individual items disappear)
    i-738Cknd-XL.jpg

I'm not completely sure how to set widths of the individual elements of the site. That is; when to use fixed widths and when to go "stretchy". Do you have any advice?

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have about my site www.jwpictures.smugmug.com
  • Options
    FunguyphotoFunguyphoto Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Collapse for Mobile... Figured this out
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2013
    Collapse for Mobile... Figured this out

Thank you for your compliment.

I was about to say "Collapse for Mobile" (for anyone else, Entire Site edit field, menu settings, scroll down to the bottom, "collapse for mobile")
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Harm... I love your site!

I've been working on customizing mine for a while now and had a similar simplistic look going but yours is MUCH better. I've now shamelessly copied some of your ideas and have a few questions.

How do you get the menu to behave the way yours does when the page shrinks (i.e. the individual items disappear)

I'm not completely sure how to set widths of the individual elements of the site. That is; when to use fixed widths and when to go "stretchy". Do you have any advice?

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have about my site www.jwpictures.smugmug.com

Both sites are very nice. Clean and to the point. I especially like the slideshow on the homepage. I started with a white background then switched to black. Your use of white looks great.

http://www.philsimaging.com/
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2013

I am guessing here, but with having all the photos in the same ratio; 3:1, and also having the slideshow set at 3:1, I would leave the settings as stretchy - that way all the photos in the slideshow are pretty much guaranteed to be the same size.

otherwise you would physically have to have all the sizes the same to be consistent. With a fixed width, I think that may just be your limit for your images, but anything photos that are heavily cropped will then just be a smaller photo in the slideshow, rather than being stretched out.

I could be totally wrong!

I like your site, nice and simple, I know of a similar site mwink.gif

I would think that you're better off changing the word "photos" to "galleries" in your menu up top. Simply because when i click on it, i have to go via 2-3 layers before getting to photos.
  • Options
    VerulamVerulam Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Time to go
    OK I unveiled. It was another learning curve, after the legacy site but I think Smug Mug have done a great job. Not yet perfect but getting there!

I love the modern interface and when I look back I can realize how dated the legacy site had become.

The only customizations I’ve used are:
    1) Right click protection.
    2) Gallery, Folder & Page icons.
    3) HTML inserts.

All constructive criticism is welcome.mwink.gif

www.johnnevitt.com
  • Options
    naufalnaufal Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Very nice!

A couple of comments though... the photo on your about page is too dark. The impression it gives is that of a silhouette. I also find the text on that page to be difficult to read; changing the level of contrast between the text color and the background would help.

Your stock photos link opens a new browser tab. I understand why you did that since that page doesn't offer any way to return to your home page, but opening a new browser tab without my explicitly asking for one is a trigger for me to close the web site. Have you ever watched user's behavior when a site opens tabs like this? Yes, I know, people who are heavy computer users won't have a problem. But I have seen people just end up reopening the main site because they don't realize that there is another tab that still contains your content.

--- Denise

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Yes, I'll have to think about the 'About Me' page text colors.
    And about the new tab... hmmm Im not sure though. lets see if more ppl suggest that. :)
  • Options
    naufalnaufal Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Very well done and your photos of Dubai are insane!

Thank you so much mate. :)