Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    kathleenkathleen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    kathleen wrote: »
    Out of sheer frustration I just unveiled my new Smugmug site. It is definitely not a finished product, but I thought if I unveiled it I could solve some of my annoying problems. Well, the problems are still there. I wanted to feature galleries on the home page. Clicking on one of the images takes you to that gallery. That is what I want it to do. However, the browse page does not work. I wanted that page to show my folders, which I listed as image categories. Clicking on the image takes you to a blank page. Does anyone know what I did wrong. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. Thank you in advance for comments or solutions to my browse page problem.

Here's the lilnk to my website:

www.kathleennelson.com

Just got my "browse" page to work. The problem apparently stemmed from the fact that I had changed the word "folders" to "image categories." I changed it back to "folders" and it works fine. Now I can finish the work on my website without worrying about that glitch (until I encounter another glitch, at least)

Kathy Nelson
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    kathleen wrote: »
    Just to let you know (after seeing your site something occurred to me). It was that I had renamed "folders" to "image categories." Changed it back to "folders" and it works fine. Funny, I thought that wouldn't make a difference somehow. Anyway, thank you (it was your site that helped me figure out what I was doing wrong.

Kathy Nelson

Thanks for your feedback Kathy.
    I'm glad it helped you, too.
    The services pages were unlisted since they were in the webpage gallery. Previously you could have unlisted galleries or pages, provide a link and people could still see them.

That functionality does not work now apparently. I now have my webpage folder as unlisted so you can look at those pages. The services pages work, but now the webpage folder (ugly as it is) is in the the default browse page. I will have to create a custom page for browsing to hide the ones I don't want people wandering around if Smugmug does not get this functionality back to the legacy.
  • Options
    Mike DeepMike Deep Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    Here is mine....http://www.deezunkerphotography.com/

Comments please....

You'll want to check how the page appears in a smaller window. It looks like the top navigation links overlap the logo until the window is nearly full screen on my display (1920px across).
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    Thanks Mike,
    I see the logo will resize at some point, but I need to figure out how to make it smoother without overlap.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    Kathy,
    Your menu link to stock images opens up a second tab/window. Is that the action you want? www.kathleennelson.com
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    OK, I posted my NEW SM site shortly after unveiling it, but it has evolved quite a bit since then. Check out all the tabs on the home page nav as well as the main nav on the inner pages.

http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/

I'm not sure IF I want to add more to the home page... but at this point, w/ the help of many of the folks who frequent dgrin (esp. Lamah bowdown.gif ) I have basically my old site in NEW SM... only better. wings.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    kathleenkathleen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    Kathy,
    Your menu link to stock images opens up a second tab/window. Is that the action you want? www.kathleennelson.com

Thanks, Dee. The stock images menu item is something I'm not too certain I should have on my website. It is a link to my images on Alamy (I've been with them for many years). I've been debating whether I should add a stock images gallery on Smugmug and sell them through SM, but I can't make up my mind. I've been quite satisfied with Alamy. However, the stock industry has changed drastically in the last few years. Any thoughts you have on this would be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Kathy Nelson
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    peargrin wrote: »
    What an attractive, clean site and beautiful photography!

Here's what I've come up with so far. I've been tinkering at it so long, I don't know what I'm missing anymore. Would appreciate any feedback...thanks!

http://peargrin.smugmug.com

Thank you!!! and I really like your bird photos, great shots you captured and clean easy site to navigate, not crazy about the green text but again easy to navigate. The eagle photos are great, I would also change the opening shot of your slideshow to one of the eagle photos thats flying.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    GuillaumeGuillaume Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    Beautiful images. It makes me want to be able to travel to such beautiful places.
    Journal view is my favorite of the three. Not a fan of slideshow I suppose because I prefer to control it myself. The third one - collage landscape used I suppose - when I click on image I feel stuck there - perhaps use of breadcumbs then a viewer could return to screen and select another image.

Phil

Hey Phil

First, thank you for the tips. I'd like to make the Collage Landscape work but I see what you mean. Maybe I have to add the breadcrumbs, which is easy. The only issue is that it tends to make the pictures smaller.
    Journal is fine but it's not obvious that you have to scroll down!
  • Options
    JenaLynnPhotographyJenaLynnPhotography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2013
    New Website
    I can see everything in the browser (Firefox) I've used to edit, but I've checked on my laptop, iPad, phone, other browsers and different components load on different ones! Why isn't everything showing up? :( Any ideas?

www.jenalynnphotography.com
  • Options
    dreamlifedreamlife Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    My new website
    Here is my take on the new smugmug tools. I found it to be challenging at first go around, but seems to be waves better than the original now.

Opinion: For your wedding galleries, how many do you typically show? Do you prefer to show all topics (e.g. details, ceremony, group shots) at once, or breakout?

http://www.dreamlifephotography.com/
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    I can see everything in the browser (Firefox) I've used to edit, but I've checked on my laptop, iPad, phone, other browsers and different components load on different ones! Why isn't everything showing up? :( Any ideas?

www.jenalynnphotography.com

Whats missing? Everything seems fine on Safari. (Like the site by the way!)
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    JenaLynnPhotographyJenaLynnPhotography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2013
    Whats missing? Everything seems fine on Safari. (Like the site by the way!)

Screen Shot 2013-09-02 at 8.50.58 AM.jpg

This is in Google Chrome for example -- its not loading completely on iPad or phone either?
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Screen Shot 2013-09-02 at 8.50.58 AM.jpg

This is in Google Chrome for example -- its not loading completely on iPad or phone either?

yup, seeing that in IE on my end. You should create in the support forum.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    meatloafmeatloaf Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Blog look
    A news blog style.
    www.SouthFloridaFreePress.com
    Ted
    South Florida Free Press
    www.SouthFloridaFreePress.com
    Concert and Event Photography
  • Options
    OcamrzrOcamrzr Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2013
    My first Photography site: The lazy Goan
    Hey guys,saw some beautiful sites on this thread.I'm more of a enthusiast ,not a pro.I decided to finally make one of my own.I like the full-screen look,and also wanted to keep it rather simple.Feedback will be much appreciated :D

Here is the link: www.thelazygoan.com
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Still have some tweaking here & there but I finally unveiled & would love some feedback. All suggestions & critiques welcome!!! Thank You!
    www.Co-Bear.com
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Cindy wrote: »
    Still have some tweaking here & there but I finally unveiled & would love some feedback. All suggestions & critiques welcome!!! Thank You!
    www.Co-Bear.com

I like your look. Mind sharing the code for your homepage slide show shadow? I know how to do a shadow, but I like yours as it just shows under the slideshow.
  • Options
    DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Ocamrzr wrote: »
    Hey guys,saw some beautiful sites on this thread.I'm more of a enthusiast ,not a pro.I decided to finally make one of my own.I like the full-screen look,and also wanted to keep it rather simple.Feedback will be much appreciated :D

Here is the link: www.thelazygoan.com

Great images, very clean but your links at the top seem to change depending on the page. You should have those set up so that they are the same on all pages, not page by page which it what it looks like you did.
    Example; You home Page shows across the top: HOME | MONOCHROME | LANDSCAPES | DESSERTS | SEARCH, all other pages show HOME | LANDSCAPES | MONOCHROME | FOOD | SEARCH. Just some basic housekeeping, otherwise really nice. I'd get rid of the smug mug links at the bottom too, but that's just me. I only keep on that is linked to my coupon code.
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    I like your look. Mind sharing the code for your homepage slide show shadow? I know how to do a shadow, but I like yours as it just shows under the slideshow.

Sure! I added a CSS Block placeholder to the homepage only with this code (copied from dgrin somewhere & modified to taste):
    .sm-page-widget-slideshow .sm-tile-content {
      overflow: visible;
    }

.sm-page-widget-slideshow .sm-tile-single.sm-tiles-uncropped .sm-image {
      border: 1px ridge #583b1e;
      border-radius:4px;
      max-width: 95%;
      box-shadow: 0 16px 10px -10px rgba(0,0,0,0.8);
    }

.sm-page-widget-slideshow .sm-tile-info {
    display: none;
    }

Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Cindy wrote: »
    Sure! I added a CSS Block placeholder to the homepage only with this code (copied from dgrin somewhere & modified to taste):
    .sm-page-widget-slideshow .sm-tile-content {
      overflow: visible;
    }

.sm-page-widget-slideshow .sm-tile-single.sm-tiles-uncropped .sm-image {
      border: 1px ridge #583b1e;
      border-radius:4px;
      max-width: 95%;
      box-shadow: 0 16px 10px -10px rgba(0,0,0,0.8);
    }

.sm-page-widget-slideshow .sm-tile-info {
    display: none;
    }

Thanks... I've been playing with those numbers for a while and you found the right combination.wings.gif
  • Options
    aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Hey guys & gals,

I finally bit the bullet and unveiled my site today. I'm still hoping for some fixes/additions (lowercase urls & full-screen background slideshow I don't have to write myself in css to name two), but I wanted a redesign to help bring new clients my way for next year.

If any of you are interested in letting me know what you think, and if there are any problems or bugs, I'd really appreciate the fresh set of eyes.

Thanks so much!
    ab

www.aaronbrownphotos.com
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    DigiScapes wrote: »
    Great images, very clean but your links at the top seem to change depending on the page. You should have those set up so that they are the same on all pages, not page by page which it what it looks like you did.
    Example; You home Page shows across the top: HOME | MONOCHROME | LANDSCAPES | DESSERTS | SEARCH, all other pages show HOME | LANDSCAPES | MONOCHROME | FOOD | SEARCH. Just some basic housekeeping, otherwise really nice. I'd get rid of the smug mug links at the bottom too, but that's just me. I only keep on that is linked to my coupon code.

Hi
    Thanks for the feedback, I fixed the links problem,I somehow overlooked the fact that I had not changed them on 'the entire site' page.I couldn't find a option to remove the smugmug footer,any idea where it is?
    Also in the legacy smugmug you could add a css code that would hide the keywords in the galleries,any idea how it is done in the new smugmug?
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    aaronbrown wrote: »
    Hey guys & gals,

I finally bit the bullet and unveiled my site today. I'm still hoping for some fixes/additions (lowercase urls & full-screen background slideshow I don't have to write myself in css to name two), but I wanted a redesign to help bring new clients my way for next year.

If any of you are interested in letting me know what you think, and if there are any problems or bugs, I'd really appreciate the fresh set of eyes.

Thanks so much!
    ab

www.aaronbrownphotos.com

Beautiful,I like the full screen slideshow, only thing I noticed was that you social links overlap with the number of likes and tweets at the bottom left,though it may be that it only happens on my browser.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Hey guys & gals,

Thanks so much!
    ab

www.aaronbrownphotos.com

Love this Aaron!
  • Options
    FunguyphotoFunguyphoto Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    So now that we have our sites looking better it might be time to start a thread showing off organization ideas. I know that I am really challenged by how to best make use of the new levels of folders available in the new Smugmug.

Check out my new look here. A big thanks to Harm for the 3:1 image idea...

www.jwpictures.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Ocamrzr wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for the feedback, I fixed the links problem,I somehow overlooked the fact that I had not changed them on 'the entire site' page.I couldn't find a option to remove the smugmug footer,any idea where it is?
    Also in the legacy smugmug you could add a css code that would hide the keywords in the galleries,any idea how it is done in the new smugmug?

Ocamrzr, here is a great resource for customizations including how to remove the keywords, smugmug footers etc.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238545
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Jeff, You have no idea how happy that site makes me. For one, you were thinking outside the box and created something beautiful! Also, I love that you showcase the business and services first and the photography and video second. Bravo! I sent it off to the entire company I was so impressed. thumb.gif

Thanks!

His slide show has the flicker problem when viewing with a Mac and Chrome - probably the issue already placed in the BUG section where the slide show injects a fast print of the previous image onto the current image. Nice site!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    Hey guys & gals,

Thanks so much!
    ab

www.aaronbrownphotos.com

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish by blocking users who do not have access to a browser other than older IE's? That's all I have on my work desk top and I cannot update as I'm not the admin.
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Here is what I have come up with so far, nothing to out of the ordinary:

http://guy.smugmug.com/

With help of some other's I was able to jazz up the nav bar a bit. the BR tag also works in the nav bar which allowed me to put a second line in for the Japanese translation.

I put a forced 1 line keyword photo box on the home page, since it seems to sort by date after keyword new ones show up & the old ones drop into the background without me having to do anything except tag the new photo I want on the front page.

Will probably switch back to a slideshow when random becomes available.